Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
Both seasons of Birdy Decode are great!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I didn't enjoy season 2 as much because it's more low-key than the Ryunka turning thousands of people to salt, and never escalates beyond "stop the criminals in hiding" but it is indeed some fantastic character-driven sci-fi.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i didn't like the big stuff in season 1 that much because it was all generally focused around senkawa and i thought senkawa's personal stuff was a lot less interesting, and that actually kind of made it feel less big to me than season 2, where i was generally more interested in what was going on and what birdy's life was like.

the way it all fed into the plot of season 2 was really cool though

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
The fight scenes are great. Does anyone know if the manga is worth reading?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Chas McGill posted:

The fight scenes are great. Does anyone know if the manga is worth reading?

Yes.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I forget where I left off in Birdy, I know it was back in S1. I remember liking it but the fansub situation at the time was annoying for whatever reason. Either really bad video quality or sporadic translations. Presumably that's been resolved by now so I'll probably check it out again.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Thanks, all. Sounds like I'd better give it a go while I still can.

Megachile
Apr 5, 2014
I had a couple of years where I watched a bunch of anime and had a list of things I thought were really incredible from the medium. But for whatever reason I haven't watched anything new (other than Mushishi S2 and new Ghibli films) in a few years, and presumably there's a bunch of great new stuff out there.

I particularly liked things like Mushishi, Ghost in the Shell Standalone Complex, Paranoia Agent, Tatami Galaxy, Planetes, Spice and Wolf, Haibane Renmei, Kino's Journey. A broad spread in terms of subject matter and flavor, but united by a toned-down, subtle approach aiming at "art" as much as "entertainment" (if that's not too crass of a dichotomy). I'm not against action, but let's say I'm somewhat averse to overt anime-isms (eg things like Attack on Titan or Madoka Magica are a bit much). What new stuff has come out in the past few years in the vein of those shows? Thanks!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Akatsuki no Yona(Yona of the Dawn). It's got shojo elements but it's mostly about a forsaken princess and her bodyguard(s) doing what they can in medieval not-korea to keep the country safe, and learning the harsh realities of the world as they go.

The manga is outstanding, top 10 for me, and I hear the anime is good but doesn't get very far(haven't watched it so someone can correct me)

edit: Suicide Island is an interesting series about a theoretical island south of Japan where they dump repeat attempted suicide offenders and leave them to fend for themselves because they are a drain on japanese society(while an extreme example, Japan does not do well with treating mental instability at all). While the information in it can be wrong at times(iirc it recommends one very poisonous plant as edible in one of the recent chapters) it's an interesting take on the survival genre where a bunch of traumatized people, some still suicidal, attempt to live on an isolated, abandoned tropical island where there is no law.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Sep 19, 2016

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Megachile posted:

I had a couple of years where I watched a bunch of anime and had a list of things I thought were really incredible from the medium. But for whatever reason I haven't watched anything new (other than Mushishi S2 and new Ghibli films) in a few years, and presumably there's a bunch of great new stuff out there.

I particularly liked things like Mushishi, Ghost in the Shell Standalone Complex, Paranoia Agent, Tatami Galaxy, Planetes, Spice and Wolf, Haibane Renmei, Kino's Journey. A broad spread in terms of subject matter and flavor, but united by a toned-down, subtle approach aiming at "art" as much as "entertainment" (if that's not too crass of a dichotomy). I'm not against action, but let's say I'm somewhat averse to overt anime-isms (eg things like Attack on Titan or Madoka Magica are a bit much). What new stuff has come out in the past few years in the vein of those shows? Thanks!

Since you didn't bring up Ping Pong I'm gonna assume you haven't seen it. You should watch Ping Pong, as it shares the same director as Tatami Galaxy so I figure that's the best place to start for recent anime given the titles you named.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Megachile posted:

Try Psycho Pass or Darker than Black.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Shōwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjū might be exactly what you're looking for. It's a big, multigenerational historical anime about theater folks and it starts out great and just gets better and better.

Maria the Virgin Witch is by the director of Panetes and it owns. The Perfect Insider is also very good.

And yea! A second for Ping Pong!

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

The Devil Tesla posted:

The Perfect Insider is also very good.

Only if you are very eager to know what it's like to have the ramblings of a delusional schizophrenic sold as deep philosophical insight.

I am sorry Megachile, you have the misfortune to have good taste in anime, and introspective shows with good atmosphere are in a drought right now. Ping Pong is the only one that stands out, but you have to get past it being about sports, and also not get motion sickness. I didn't see Kaiba on your list, it's old but fits the bill at least.

On the other hand, if you also happen to be into shows about ogling highschool girls, then do I have good news for you.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Megachile posted:

Shame on all of you for no-one recommending Erased :colbert:.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Pavlov posted:

Ping Pong is the only one that stands out, but you have to get past it being about sports, and also not get motion sickness.

jfc

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
I'm not begin facetious there. It legit gives some people motion sickness.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I read the manga and it was good but I heard that the anime had a different ending and was dumb. The manga ending wasn't exactly great anyway so I'm willing to take this with a grain of salt.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
What, the manga ending was great.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Pavlov, why do you post on this board if you clearly don't like anime? Wtf

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Listen to this guy, Erased is definitely worth a shot.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I would like to hear about one anime that pavlov likes without any "you have to look past it being about a sport" type caveats

I believe that pavlov genuinely likes anime, but I can't think of an example of one that he genuinely likes

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

What, the manga ending was great.

I felt like the story had a noticable dip in quality after a super spoilery thing happened (not putting this even in spoiler tags but I'm sure you can guess what I'm talking about) and most of the elements of what made it interesting for me were diminished after that point, in particular as the story reached its conclusion.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

If you mean the villain reveal then yeah that's around when a bunch of problems cropped up for me and the rest of the series became a lot less interesting as a result.

I don't feel the ending is terrible per se but it could have been so much better.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
There's definitely a tier of show that only comes along a couple times of year if that -- stuff like Masaaki Yuasa's output, or Katanagatari, or Kyousogiga, etc; stuff that you can recommend without reservation about either content, theme, or technical competence. Personally I'm not quite so strict as to call that "the only good anime" but it's a reasonable position to take, and in particular, it's a good springboard for recommendations.

It's good to be critical.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

I would like to hear about one anime that pavlov likes without any "you have to look past it being about a sport" type caveats

Ain't nothing above criticism.

Megachile already made a shortlist though. Worst I could say about Tatami Galaxy is the repeated bits might go on 1-2 episodes too long.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

There's definitely a tier of show that only comes along a couple times of year if that -- stuff like Masaaki Yuasa's output, or Katanagatari, or Kyousogiga, etc; stuff that you can recommend without reservation about either content, theme, or technical competence. Personally I'm not quite so strict as to call that "the only good anime" but it's a reasonable position to take, and in particular, it's a good springboard for recommendations.

It's good to be critical.

There's critical, and then there's "sorry bro all anime is for pedophiles now"

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

And similarly, there's rejecting the GBS attitude, and then there's eating garbage and constantly telling each other how delicious garbage tastes.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Which in fairness is a criticism you could just as easily level at me because I'll go to bat hard for Mirai Nikki, Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt, and Psycho-Pass. :v:

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't think it's fair to dismiss someone's sincere enjoyment of a series as enjoying garbage.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Strange Quark posted:

I don't think it's fair to dismiss someone's sincere enjoyment of a series as enjoying garbage.

Someone's sincere enjoyment of a series is pretty secondary, honestly. If I think a show is terrible I'm not going to hold back.

Although, with anime, the worst is the stuff that's utterly boring and conventional, not so much the stuff that shocks English-speaking sensibilities or whatever.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Which in fairness is a criticism you could just as easily level at me because I'll go to bat hard for Mirai Nikki, Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt, and Psycho-Pass. :v:

Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt is genuinely good though.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Pavlov posted:

Megachile already made a shortlist though. Worst I could say about Tatami Galaxy is the repeated bits might go on 1-2 episodes too long.

I recently rewatched it and drat I didn't remember the "3 women" part dragging so long the first time around, OTOH knowing the whole story opens up a ton of space for subtext in the earlier episodes which added a lot of entertainment value.

Captain Invictus posted:

Is this a divisive opinion? The worst you can say about P&S is that there's a gently caress ton of crude humour (which if you're not into that, fine) but if you want some occasionally surprisingly sophisticated dumb humour and amazing action scenes it's hard to match. Also probably the best dub in anime history.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

I don't disagree, but I also think this of the other two shows I mentioned.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yes, but you can make actual arguments for psg being a genuinely good show which might be a good bit harder for Mirai Nikki or psychopass

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

Yes, but you can make actual arguments for psg being a genuinely good show which might be a good bit harder for Mirai Nikki or psychopass

Well, for me it's actually a little harder to make the arguments for PSG being a genuinely good show, because it's so self-consciously trying to emulate Western animation that my first instinct is to read it that way, which leads to all kinds of super-iffy stuff about feminist readings, when the much more sensible way to approach it is in the context of Imaishi's career -- that is, it's about liberation broadly, which overlaps but isn't the same.

Mirai Nikki is easy by comparison: it's a deceptively well-plotted show that takes the idea that Love Conquers All and just runs with it.

My original point, though, was that the "difficulty" you're talking about is consensus-based, and that depends on context. The tonal clash of camp and ultraviolence, or unrelenting crudity, or awkward teenage sexuality are all going to make different people uncomfortable or bewildered for different reasons. Part of good criticism, though, is being brave enough to recognize subjectivity without giving it undue deference against your own taste and convictions.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Sep 19, 2016

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

So when Pavlov says "it's a good show if you can get past that it's about sports" I'm like, yeah it's stupid to dismiss a great show because you're a nerd and didn't do sports in high school and don't care, but I think he knows that too and that's why he's saying it.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

he said it because he sucks

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Cake Attack posted:

he said it because he sucks

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

So when Pavlov says "it's a good show if you can get past that it's about sports" I'm like, yeah it's stupid to dismiss a great show because you're a nerd and didn't do sports in high school and don't care, but I think he knows that too and that's why he's saying it.

There are too many people that genuinely throw shade at sports anime in this manner for me to give anyone the benefit of the doubt.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
all pavlov does is talk about certain shows in a way that pisses people off. he does not often make a post about anime where he does not try to piss people off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

Psycho-Pass is a genuinely good show.

Psycho-Pass 2 is crap, though.