Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Put the stove in the freezer.

It will probably double your production rate. Meals take almost no time to cook but require one or two trips to collect ingredients and one trip to deposit the result. Your stockpile wants to be literally one tile adjacent to the stove.

Even using autodoors really slows down that 6 tile walk too, putting the food as close to the stove in the same room as it is imperative.

Coolguye posted:

e: oh also, i tend to heal up and release healthy anyone i don't intend to attempt to recruit, whether because the pawn is terrible and refuses to do anything or their difficulty rating is 99%. my logic is that it's not too hard to get people back on their feet if they see a doctor promptly after getting the poo poo beaten out of them, and you get faction bonuses for returning their guys patched up. is this a bad idea?
Tribals will eventually become friendly if you do this, but I'm pretty sure pirates will never stop hating you. That said, it's not like if you kill the survivors they'll run out of cannon fodder to throw at you either, so releasing them is kind of a wash. IIRC when you release injured prisoners with like peg legs, missing eyes, etc; you'll see them in subsequent raids too, so in a way releasing them can be helpful in the future. You could even go full sadist and not release any pirate prisoners until they're armless, legless, and blind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Create a one tile storage area for vegetables over a stool right beside the cook's chair, and a one-tile storage area for meat over a stool on the other side, put both of these in maximum priority. Instruct Chef to drop on completion. Boom, instant cooking.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

Coolguye posted:

The freezer is literally through 1 door and the walk is 6 tiles at worst from the stove, dunno how much nicer I can be to work with here.

That's weird, are they getting distracted by other stuff? I usually have one pawn with cooking as their number one priority once I get four and they just crank them out, even if the ingredients are through a door.

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003
Would you like to buy a monkey?

Coolguye posted:

chef gets some serious Too Cold moodlets about that

Unless you are doing something really crazy with your freezer temps, this shouldn't be anything a duster can't resolve (or the parka they should already be wearing if it is legitimately cold out on your map).

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

NatasDog posted:

Tribals will eventually become friendly if you do this, but I'm pretty sure pirates will never stop hating you. That said, it's not like if you kill the survivors they'll run out of cannon fodder to throw at you either, so releasing them is kind of a wash. IIRC when you release injured prisoners with like peg legs, missing eyes, etc; you'll see them in subsequent raids too, so in a way releasing them can be helpful in the future. You could even go full sadist and not release any pirate prisoners until they're armless, legless, and blind.

I had one pirate band that, despite not showing a 'relationship increased by 15' alert, started sending traders after I released like 5 of their dudes. I'm really unclear on what the hell caused that but it was pretty cool for about 4 days when Cassandra spawned another pirate band to mess with me.

(PS: gently caress you, Cassandra.)

e: also I've been tending to play warm maps actually, since that allows the growing season to be longer and requires less forethought from me while I'm trying to get my act together on this game. I keep the freezer at -5C target temp, and frequently the problem is that the coolers can't keep up.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Sep 19, 2016

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Coolguye posted:

The freezer is literally through 1 door and the walk is 6 tiles at worst from the stove, dunno how much nicer I can be to work with here.

Cooking a simple meal requires 5 work. Each work unit takes 30 ticks (assuming default work speed from pawn skills and workbenches, which I believe is always the case with cooking although I can't verify right now), so the cooking time for one meal is 150 ticks. At the default walking speed of a pawn (4.6 cells per second, or 60 ticks), walking 6 tiles and back (so not even counting the time inside the freezer or opening the door) takes 2.6 seconds or 156 ticks, so your chef is already below 50% working efficiency. Another 75 ticks if they have to open a wood door twice, and all that's doubled for fine meals even though the meals only take an extra 90 ticks to cook.

edit:

NatasDog posted:

Even using autodoors really slows down that 6 tile walk too, putting the food as close to the stove in the same room as it is imperative.

Wood and Steel autodoors shouldn't slow down pawns at all.

Zhentar fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Sep 19, 2016

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Zhentar posted:

Cooking a simple meal requires 5 work. Each work unit takes 30 ticks (assuming default work speed from pawn skills and workbenches, which I believe is always the case with cooking although I can't verify right now), so the cooking time for one meal is 150 ticks. At the default walking speed of a pawn (4.6 cells per second, or 60 ticks), walking 6 tiles and back (so not even counting the time inside the freezer or opening the door) takes 2.6 seconds or 156 ticks, so your chef is already below 50% working efficiency. Another 75 ticks if they have to open a wood door twice, and all that's doubled for fine meals even though the meals only take an extra 90 ticks to cook.

lol this is loving insane. not the analysis, that's really helpful, the fact that walking through a door makes a chef unable to feed a colony of 6 people is loving insane.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
The key is to get the mod Feed the Colonists which simply makes it so you can make orders of 4 meals/pemmican at once. It's vastly more efficient since pawns don't need to keep moving 24/7.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Coolguye posted:

chef gets some serious Too Cold moodlets about that

Make him a hat?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Party Plane Jones posted:

The key is to get the mod Feed the Colonists which simply makes it so you can make orders of 4 meals/pemmican at once. It's vastly more efficient since pawns don't need to keep moving 24/7.

i'm normally pretty opposed to modding something before i can work with it but i think i am going to do this one. seeing it broken down like that makes it obvious that this particular thing is just flat busted.

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Coolguye posted:

watch the video, its not just about proximity of your stove to your freezer

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Grimey Drawer
My mountain fortress just collapsed to a combination of a raider attack blowing the doors off. That wasn't the problem, casualties were severe but nobody died or lost bits. What finished me were the manhunting boomrats that came in and blew everything to shreds. There was one lone colonist left, rescuing a downed settler who immediately died after about several attempts at installing a peg leg in them resulted in an accidental nephrectomy. Another round of raiders and the sole survivor was hauled away to a faint unknown. RIP.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Coolguye posted:

i'm normally pretty opposed to modding something before i can work with it but i think i am going to do this one. seeing it broken down like that makes it obvious that this particular thing is just flat busted.

Yeah it's sort of just common sense. Who doesn't know how to cook for more than 1 person at a time? This seems an obvious oversight. You could even make batch cooking an unlockable tech or perhaps something that scales up with pawn skill to keep it balanced.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Feral Integral posted:

watch the video, its not just about proximity of your stove to your freezer

yeah like was explained in the thread it's also a matter of the 1 door, which in this case worse than halves the productivity

it's stupid and insane and i'll be modding to change it, thread success for ferreting this out

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Overwined posted:

You could even make batch cooking something that scales up with pawn skill to keep it balanced.

This is how vegetable garden's "make 4 meals" thing works. 1 simple needs no skill, 1 fine takes 5 or 6, I forget, but basically at the "fine" tier it unlocks "4 simple meals", same sort of scaling on up til you need like 15 skill to make 4 extravagant meals.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Azhais posted:

This is how vegetable garden's "make 4 meals" thing works. 1 simple needs no skill, 1 fine takes 5 or 6, I forget, but basically at the "fine" tier it unlocks "4 simple meals", same sort of scaling on up til you need like 15 skill to make 4 extravagant meals.

Is this a mod you're talking about? Got a link?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Also, for anyone tired of the default storytellers trying to kill you, here's someone new that wants to kill you:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=763418547

Overwined posted:

Is this a mod you're talking about? Got a link?

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=12934.0

Didn't see a A15 version on the workshop, but the forum post is listed as "A14/15" so maybe 5.15.1284 works on both (and that is, I think, on the workshop)

Azhais fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Sep 19, 2016

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
I had a bunch of chickens randomly join up with my colony, so I set them up in an area outside my main walls and right outside the defenses labeled as "bait", along with a few tamed boomrats and boomalopes. I was worried this tactic wasn't going to do anything but cover the entire freaking map in chickens when I had 2 raids and a pack of manhunting muffalos hit nearly at once.

Raid 1 got busy killing chickens endlessly, with a small number peeling off to get shredded by my auto defenses. Just before that raid was going to give up, raid 2 comes in from the other direction. I had just enough chickens to keep them distracted when the angry muffalo herd came along and shithoused everyone outside my walls.

At the beginning of this madness I just made all my external doors off limits so my people didn't even know about the drama going on right outside the gates. I was pissed that as soon as I unlocked the doors my main cleaner spent the next week mopping blood off my sandbags, but at least we had all the chicken and muffalo we could eat!

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

ZearothK posted:

Create a one tile storage area for vegetables over a stool right beside the cook's chair, and a one-tile storage area for meat over a stool on the other side, put both of these in maximum priority. Instruct Chef to drop on completion. Boom, instant cooking.

Also, if you use CCL/CCL Extras, you can build a refrigerated hopper on both of those spots and then you don't have to worry about food going bad at all.

I really wish they'd just do a drat one-tile refrigerator so you don't get the 'disconnected hopper' messages, though.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Tristesse posted:

At the beginning of this madness I just made all my external doors off limits so my people didn't even know about the drama going on right outside the gates. I was pissed that as soon as I unlocked the doors my main cleaner spent the next week mopping blood off my sandbags, but at least we had all the chicken and muffalo we could eat!

There's a mod called cleaning area or something similar that breaks the "home area is cleaning area" shenanigans so you can set things up so your sandbags will get repaired but nobody is going to waste a ton of time wiping off the blood or cleaning up the dirt in your gardens.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Bahaha, yes!
Trading muffalo had a heart attack inside my walls.
I got my alpaca wool clothes back to sell all over again, and some shells and waepons to boot.
I love this game.

E: (Also, happy I saw that before those shells deteriorated and made a mess.)

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Caconym posted:

Bahaha, yes!
Trading muffalo had a heart attack inside my walls.
I got my alpaca wool clothes back to sell all over again, and some shells and waepons to boot.
I love this game.

E: (Also, happy I saw that before those shells deteriorated and made a mess.)

I had an alpaca get self tamed and decided to slaughter it cause I don't want to deal with feeding it, just then a trader caravan came in. I decided to sell the alpaca but funnily enough my colonists still walked up and slaughtered it, and apparently right after buying it the traders threw a bunch of goods onto the alpaca that I got for free.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Well, my mortar-based aggressive defense missed first time but to fair, there were only 3 of us and 2 of them. Small target. Turrets did them in anyway.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Coolguye posted:

e: also I've been tending to play warm maps actually, since that allows the growing season to be longer and requires less forethought from me while I'm trying to get my act together on this game. I keep the freezer at -5C target temp, and frequently the problem is that the coolers can't keep up.
When learning the game there's no shame in playing in a temperate biome with year-round growing seasons to remove the time crunch on learning how to manage food.
Heck the whole thing to Advanced Cooking thing can be summed up as 'getting your haulers to move ingrediants/meals instead of your cook.'

Also Randy Random is the best storyteller in the game because he does not steadily tick down into Kill You Dead mode like Cassandra/Pheobe.

I mean, when he wants you dead he'll kill you but it'll be because he wants you dead and not that 'times up, you haven't left, time to kill you.'

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i've been targeting a 11th winter - 1st winter growing season, since that does require me to actually think about the end of the growing season, but doesn't doom me to a slow ignoble death if i gently caress it all up.

and yeah I'm gonna switch to Randy next time i restart. I like the idea of Cassandra giving me a soft time limit because in my mind it SHOULD have a time limit on getting the hell off the world before your situation becomes untenable, but reading the posts about how Cassandra and Pheobe both are hard-coded to send raids on a regular schedule kind of kills it for me.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You don't have to restart, you can change it in the options menu.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
bit of a mild boomrat problem

good drat but they are dirtying the place up

when will we be free...

oh good

this is a real loving mess huh

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i got a set of frag grenades and i'm thinking about hunting boomrats and boomalopes with them by throwing the pineapple manually and running the gently caress away

good idea/bad idea

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Depends if you like catastrophic map wide fires or not.

Best way to deal with boom* herds on your map is to manually send out hunting parties every time it rains and just exterminate them when they can't set fires.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

I'm getting some trading ships now but they regrettably won't buy anything I have a surplus of, which is crops, meals, herbal medicine and building material :bahgawd:

Sold three bows, though!

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014

Azhais posted:

Depends if you like catastrophic map wide fires or not.

Best way to deal with boom* herds on your map is to manually send out hunting parties every time it rains and just exterminate them when they can't set fires.

how tamable are they? I imagine their use in the game is to be trained into attack animals for suicide bombing purposes. :happyelf:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Thefluffy posted:

how tamable are they? I imagine their use in the game is to be trained into attack animals for suicide bombing purposes. :happyelf:

That's all well and good until they torch your whole base by having a heart attack in your kitchen.

I suppose you could tame them and keep them in a pen outside the gates and forbid them from every wandering near your stuff

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Coolguye posted:

also, could i bother you to post what you consider a decent early wall setup? i feel like i have a general idea of what you're saying but it'd be better if i could get a perfect idea.

This sure isn't a perfect idea, but it has a lot going for it.

Make a big ol' box and fill the entrance with rubble so enemies can't take cover at the entrance itself. Enemies won't take cover in a spot where they can't see and shoot your colonists, and pawns can't stand on rubble tiles, they can only move over them, so the enemies won't have a choice but to run all the way into the box. The rest of the rubble is to make them walk real slow while you shoot at them. Once they get into the box they see those three rubble tiles there in the middle and say oh boy a good place to take cover.

So they take cover there, crouching behind their 40% cover rubbles, while your colonists have 100% cover from the wall direction, and 80% cover from the sandbag direction. The 80% comes from the fact that sandbags grant 65% cover, and darkness grants 15%. All the spots for colonists to hide in have roofs, so they are always in darkness.

After the enemies take cover behind the rubbles, then Vladimir and Az over there on the side pop out and start shooting them with 0% cover.

Other features of this killbox including leaving the ground inside as dirt so the enemies have 87% instead of 100% move speed, but cutting all the grass to prevent fires spreading from explosions and incendiary weapons. Likewise all the places the colonists' stand have nonflammable floors around them.

I threw this together real quick, ways you could improve on it would be to add torch lamps to the middle so that enemies don't get the 15% darkness bonus if they attack at night, and I really didn't space my shooting spots well. I should have had another shooting spot from the left, and should have spaced my shooting spots better so that my guys had a better field of view of the entrance, but you get the idea. Likewise the killzone really should be taller, so that I can spend more time shooting at enemies as they run towards their bait cover. Once you get enough longer-range weapons you can move the bait cover back so that enemy grenadiers can't hit your guys from their cover.

This is a year 1 no-power no-turrets setup. Once you get turrets you can make little alcoves for them in the stone walls, and turn them on as soon as the enemies enter the killzone.

If you get the choice, use granite blocks for your walls and doors. Granite has the most hit points of any stone. It's not a TON more, but it's a nice perk.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

starvation and disaster went far in rekindling the old spark

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Wish there was a chemical you could collect from boomalopes that made it worthwhile, if risky, to tame them

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Hihohe posted:

Wish there was a chemical you could collect from boomalopes that made it worthwhile, if risky, to tame them

In the theme of the current conversation, to make pitch so you can light your kilbox on fire as enemies approach! :getin:

Also, I really need to step up my game. You guys are making me feel like I play this game super lazy.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Hihohe posted:

A mod just came out that does that; nitroglycerine for nitromine production.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I've been at the point for a while now where I don't really have anything I want to build, all my colonists are doing fine, etc... my base is 'finished', but it seems like it's still gonna take 100 million years to sell enough beer and sculptures to buy the 800 plasteel or however much I need total to build the ship. And then a big chunk of steel for caskets.

Just sitting around watching crops grow!

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Zhentar posted:

Cooking a simple meal requires 5 work. Each work unit takes 30 ticks (assuming default work speed from pawn skills and workbenches, which I believe is always the case with cooking although I can't verify right now), so the cooking time for one meal is 150 ticks.

I messed up part of my investigation here; each work unit takes 60 ticks so for a level 10 cook (which is when cooking speed hits 100%), one simple meal takes 300 ticks. Doesn't really change the conclusion but it's not quite as bad as I thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Combat realism has a chemical you get from boom animals for making incindiarii rounds. Don't think it is it for 15 yet though