Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
any end that leads to munakata killing himself is good. I pray it's Chisa then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I can't wait to get home from work and watch some dumb bullshit happen

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Can't wait for Kyoko to emerge from the shadows, steal Munakata's sword and murder him.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

lotus circle posted:

Overall I feel like this theory makes the most sense with everything we've seen. And if Chisa does turn out to be alive, then it's obviously going to come to an end with Munakata killing himself to stop her. I don't think I would wholly like that though, because I think even Munakata deserves some redemption after Naegi's hope speech finally snapped him out of his craziness.

I think there's another potential ending there for a living Chisa theory - one where Munakata considers it but doesn't kill himself to kill Chisa, and they decide to try to rehabilitate her instead. It looks as if the survivors of the 77th class are travelling somewhere in a ship, and they could arrive and try to do something for their teacher, maybe take her away to the island with them while they try to find a way to cure her. Munakata has been being challenged throughout the Future arc to become someone who can create hope rather than just destroy despair, so I think it would be fitting.

But that would probably require a situation where Munakata didn't have to kill Chisa ASAP in order to stop Chisa from doing something.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Future side redeemed.

Full transcription of what happens if you're super impatient.
The group looks through the book Kyoko left behind and they find out it is in fact the monitors making people commit suicide. Naegi volunteers to test the theory and Munakata ties him up and leaves him in front of one. It turns on and a Monokuma theater brainwashes him and drops a knife.

Naegi gets to it and gets ready to kill himself when loving Juzo saves his life and breaks the knife saying that this was all his fault and that he cut off his arm in repayment for betraying Munakata and that he's going to end this stupid game. He shambles off in a bloody mess barely alive. Naegi regroups with Munakata and the others and they realize that Tengan is the mastermind and he was using Chisa- it's the only way they could of gotten all the tech needed for this.

As they're discussing this the lights go out, Juzo has found the power room and is turning off all the monitors AND the NG bracelets. Naegi convinces Munakata that Juzo was never in despair mode and Munakata realizes Juzo's love and runs to him- but Juzo is already dead after flipping the final switch. Munakata begins to cry and says he has had feelings for him as well and that he should of said something sooner.

Togami's rescue group seems to be going well and Ryota Mitarai realizes that only Junko could of used his techniques for this- as he brings this up with Naegi his phone rings.

Tengan is calling him.

I love anime.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Sep 19, 2016

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
RIP Juzoboys. :smith:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

RIP Juzoboys. :smith:

It's funny considering the last few pages of discussion on him.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
This sounds stupid

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

As they're discussing this the lights go out, Juzo has found the power room and is turning off all the monitors AND the NG bracelets. Naegi convinces Munakata that Juzo was never in despair mode and Munakata realizes Juzo's love and runs to him- but Juzo is already dead after flipping the final switch. Munakata begins to cry and says he has had feelings for him as well and that he should of said something sooner.

Actually Juzoboy died before he could confess his feelings to Munakata, Munakata merely despairs over not being there in time to save him.

Is Funi late again?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Best part of the episode was Makoto seeing his dead classmates all as they died, with Mondo melting into butter.

Immediately took me out of the scene. :allears:

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Munakata begins to cry and says he has had feelings for him as well and that he should of said something sooner.

This is like a ridiculous soap opera.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

This is like a ridiculous soap opera.

I mean, it is at points, but Juzo did die as a maiden with an unrequited (and unacknowledged) love

Funi confirmed on their website all the remaining episodes are going to be late.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Togami's rescue group seems to be going well and Ryota Mitarai realizes that only Junko could of used his techniques for this- as he brings this up with Naegi his phone rings.

Tengan is calling him.

I love anime.

While the reveal of Tengan's message to Munakata makes him look very shady, and there's a possibility that Tengan had some Cure-W and used it to heal himself from the wounds Munakata gave him, something doesn't add up. The survivor count clearly deducted Tengan(it dropped from 13 to 10 in Episode 6, even counting Izayoi who we didn't know was dead yet). I can't think of anyone else who could have died at that point to throw off the survivor count. The simplest explanation is that this is someone else posing as Tengan. The other Junko AI?

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Naegi gets to it and gets ready to kill himself when loving Juzo saves his life and breaks the knife saying that this was all his fault and that he cut off his arm in repayment for betraying Munakata and that he's going to end this stupid game. He shambles off in a bloody mess barely alive. Naegi regroups with Munakata and the others and they realize that Tengan is the mastermind and he was using Chisa- it's the only way they could of gotten all the tech needed for this.

poo poo, I guess Kyoko's chances of making a surprise recovery went down, then. :smith:

Still, it's a slim chance, but there could be a way. Juzo cut off his hand, so he wasn't affected by the drugs. There's a chance that this could have thrown off the survivor count - the count could be based on the bracelets detecting a pulse. Maybe the count failed to detect Juzo's pulse and mistakenly counted him as dead? This final killing game seems to have taken quite a few nods to Zero Escape, and that would be a very Zero Escape twist.

Of course, that explanation would just raise further questions, especially regarding Miaya and Hagakure. If the survivor count works the way mentioned above, how would it have affected Robo-Miaya? And Hagakure doesn't even have a bracelet. Does that mean the mastermind really is a hidden person inside the building?

We'll have to see what the survivor count looks like next week. If Tengan really is alive, that alone would completely throw things off. In the meantime, I'm expecting that Despair episode 11 will explain what Tengan and Ryota's deal really is.

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'
I wonder if the Despair side episodes will now be in the "present" because I see no way to wrap this up in one more episode without it being a serious hack rush job.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Axle_Stukov posted:

I wonder if the Despair side episodes will now be in the "present" because I see no way to wrap this up in one more episode without it being a serious hack rush job.

I'm thinking that the final "Despair episode" will actually be the finale to the Future arc.

Between the confrontation with the mastermind and the arrival of the ex-remnants, there's a lot of ground to cover.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

I'm kinda expecting this week's Despair takes time to show off the remnants doing real messed up poo poo to the world and ending with them getting thrown into the New World pods

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Axle_Stukov posted:

because I see no way to wrap this up in one more episode without it being a serious hack rush job.

That's kind of what it's been, yeah. I do follow though. I can't see what they can do in 20 minutes to seem like an end otherwise, unless it's just the lead into the first game. That would require more time too, though.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Man I was starting to like Sakakura, shame about him. But I still think the most tragic part of future is Seiko and Ruruka not ever making up before they died.

The attacker being suicides explains Ruruka's violent death. She probably tried to use the candy to bring herself out of it, and cut her wrists to try and stop herself, but was overwhelmed by brainwash induced guilt over killing Izayoi and offed herself.

Axle_Stukov posted:

It's absolutely going to be a serious rush hack job. I wonder if Kodaka regrets doing it as an anime, or if he's still happy with it.

Wyvernil posted:

I'm thinking that the final "Despair episode" will actually be the finale to the Future arc.

Between the confrontation with the mastermind and the arrival of the ex-remnants, there's a lot of ground to cover.

I honestly don't see how they can do a satisfactory conclusion for two plot arcs even with 3 episodes. They have to complete figuring out who the big bad of the Future arc is, confront the villain, explain what the deal with Chisa seeing her own death was, explain what happens with the 77th class, reveal the 13th branch's leader, and explain how the whole thing happened. Then there's a few bits for Despair, like what Izuru gets up to during the period between the despair arc and DR2, as well as how the despair-ified 77th class managed to remain hidden for the year between despair and DR1 starting.

If they don't that's a whole lot of plot threads left unresolved. I expect there to be handwaving and unsatisfactory resolutions to most of those plot threads, if they aren't just ignored.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Sep 19, 2016

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
This wouldn't have made sense as a game, either, it would have just taken longer to get around to.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Voted Worst Mom posted:

This wouldn't have made sense as a game, either, it would have just taken longer to get around to.

I dunno, if there was more space it would have more time to set things up and develop an atmosphere. If you're reading this thread you presumably enjoyed DR1, and it's anime was a complete mess too.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Man I have to tell you, Juzo has got to be the most incredible 180 turnaround in likability. He began this anime being one of the most aggravating characters, but now at his end I'm absolutely crushed by his death.

(Although if the control room was always there, why didn't anyone just pull those levers before when it was discovered?)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Sep 20, 2016

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

lotus circle posted:

Man I have to tell you, Juzo has got to be the most incredible 180 turnaround in likability. He began this anime being one of the most aggravating characters, but now at his end I'm absolutely crushed by his death.

(Although if the control room was always there, why didn't anyone just pull those levers before when it was discovered?)

You know, I was wondering about that awhile back. At that point my money was on the whole thing being a New World Program intended to program everyone inside it to believe in Junko's ideals, as opposed to the original's purpose of rehabilitating people from them. But then magical brainwashing anime came up so I guess that's not happening.

I hope I was either right all along or Kirigiri is dead for real because her being somehow alive would be dumb even for this series.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

lotus circle posted:

Juzo didn't know anything about the monitors and he was the only one who knew of that room then. Brotagonist was too busy being Nuclear and Wild to care about the control room, and the other three hadn't found about the monitors until later.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Best part of the episode was Makoto seeing his dead classmates all as they died, with Mondo melting into butter.

Immediately took me out of the scene. :allears:

Yeah, that was the most ridiculous thing. I was so into that scene and then suddenly bam, I'm trying desperately not to break out laughing.

I have no idea how the gently caress they're going to wrap this poo poo up, given that this latest episode took things relatively slow, all things considered. Like, they probably needed to get about six plotpoints for the conclusion out, and they only got about half of that and spent a lot of time breaking down a plotpoint that didn't need breaking down. Everybody and their dog worked out that it was Mitarai's techniques fueling a brainwash video once it got confirmed that it was suicides. The scene was cool, but they spent a lot of time doing that when they really should have been doing things that make the conclusion not a rushed mess.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
I don't think Tengan is alive, that message was probably made to be sent when the game ends. And yes my theory about Tengan being the mastermind was right!

I'm gonna be honestly suprised if Chisa was not involved in the game at all and was just the first victim by change of being near a monitor, that still leaves Miaya who was totally involved or she wouldn't have had the forbidden actions but I don't know anymore :shrug: .

Another weird thing is how we never got Mitarai's forbidden action but since the game is over how can it's reveal be important? Unless it was, never getting rid of his phone

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

IceBorg posted:

Another weird thing is how we never got Mitarai's forbidden action but since the game is over how can it's reveal be important? Unless it was, never getting rid of his phone

It probably is. Whatever's in that message is going to be big, and we wouldn't want him not getting that message, now.

GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI

IceBorg posted:

I'm gonna be honestly suprised if Chisa was not involved in the game at all and was just the first victim by change of being near a monitor, that still leaves Miaya who was totally involved or she wouldn't have had the forbidden actions but I don't know anymore :shrug: .

Isn't Miaya dead? Like Monaca killed her or whatever and took her spot and no one really knew till Komaru and Touko revealed it. I don't she's nearly as involved as we previously thought

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!

GenericMartini posted:

Isn't Miaya dead? Like Monaca killed her or whatever and took her spot and no one really knew till Komaru and Touko revealed it. I don't she's nearly as involved as we previously thought

Yeah but the fact that her robot body had all the forbidden actions when Monaca said she just joined the FF meeting on a whim and wasn't involved in the game at all and both Jozu and Munakata didn't react at all seeing her robot body makes me think the real Miaya normally used a robot double and Monaca did kill the real Miaya but that was before she helped Tengan preparing the killing game and Monaca just used the robot body Miaya was gonna use to monitor the game.

That's my theory at least.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I want to know Mitarai's loving forbidden action already! :arghfist:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

GenericMartini posted:

The implication is Monaca didn't do it but I don't think either of them are ultimately important at this point.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Anatharon posted:

The implication is Monaca didn't do it but I don't think either of them are ultimately important at this point.

Monaca said she killed Miaya.

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'
Alright after seeing the subbed episode I'm 100% convinced it's Tengan. For what reason though, I'm not sure and still wondering how they can fit in the motive and final showdown in one more episode.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

Not a bad episode, but I hope there's going to be something twistier added to the plot in the next episode than this because it's going to be unsatisfying for me otherwise.

I have to agree with the people suggesting that Mitarai's NG code was probably to not lose his phone, because people have pointed out that he's been clutching it all along and the plan was evidently that he should receive this message.

Sakakura was actually pretty great this ep, and I thought the explanation for why he hated Naegi all along was excellent. It must have driven him batty to see the survivors of the 78th class standing up to Junko and winning. Munakata's scene of running to him was also great.

Since Sakakura was alive, though, this makes it look REALLY bad for Kirigiri. I've checked all the deaths against the survivor count for all of the episodes, and of the people who died in episode 9, only one of them survived according to the survivor count. And that was Sakakura. There is still a sixteenth person to account for, but that person has been in the survivor count since episode 1 and so isn't relevant to Kirigiri. Kirigiri's only real chance now is if the Cure W meant she was actually technically dead for a while and Seiko is so good she can raise the dead as long as they take the cure in advance. So...doubtful, but we did see the Cure W bottle by her, and there wasn't a survivor count this week.

If the scenes shown with the characters killing themselves are legit, then the only miracle survival or disguised-corpse-swapping shenanigans possible would be with the people who weren't killed by the videos. Of those, Tengan looked pretty dead, but I suppose it can't be ruled out. (However, he could easily have set up an automated text.) Kizakura's death would probably be the easiest to exploit, but then, nobody's even seen his corpse.

If Tengan really is the mastermind (which looks likely if he's the only one with monitor access) then, if we assume that his NG code really was forcing him to tell the truth, he's not a Remnant of Despair. So we'd be left with him thinking that this plan was actually going to be beneficial in some way. If we get an ending of "I set this up because I can see the FF is a rotten bunch of idiots who could turn on each other in five seconds, so let's put us through a trial by fire, and if we survive, that's great and we can march onwards to hope, and if we die we deserved it and would probably have done terrible things to the world if we'd lived"...well, that wouldn't be very satisfying.

Seeing Naegi go all swirly-eyed was strange as hell. Looks as if even he wasn't immune, huh... And couldn't he have been tied up better than that?! Incompetents.

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

Van Dine posted:

And couldn't he have been tied up better than that?! Incompetents.

Juzo explained it at the very beginning: it doesn't matter how Naegi gets tied up, his luck would just get him out of it.

This episode makes me feel a little better about brainwashing being used, since it seems to work by preying on a person's insecurities, but now I want to know what the other victims saw. Seiko probably saw all the people she couldn't save (including Bandai) and Ruruka probably saw Seiko and Izayoi, but what would Gozu and an already-despairing Chisa see?

CandyCrazy fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Sep 19, 2016

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'

Van Dine posted:

Since Sakakura was alive, though, this makes it look REALLY bad for Kirigiri. I've checked all the deaths against the survivor count for all of the episodes, and of the people who died in episode 9, only one of them survived according to the survivor count. And that was Sakakura. There is still a sixteenth person to account for, but that person has been in the survivor count since episode 1 and so isn't relevant to Kirigiri. Kirigiri's only real chance now is if the Cure W meant she was actually technically dead for a while and Seiko is so good she can raise the dead as long as they take the cure in advance. So...doubtful, but we did see the Cure W bottle by her, and there wasn't a survivor count this week.

About that since Juzo removed his bracelet, it could be possible he's being counted as "dead" for the sake of the counter. Also they didn't show the counter this time so...

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

From how Chisa was smiling, I assume she'd just be on board with committing suicide in the name of despair.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Van Dine posted:

If Tengan really is the mastermind (which looks likely if he's the only one with monitor access) then, if we assume that his NG code really was forcing him to tell the truth, he's not a Remnant of Despair. So we'd be left with him thinking that this plan was actually going to be beneficial in some way. If we get an ending of "I set this up because I can see the FF is a rotten bunch of idiots who could turn on each other in five seconds, so let's put us through a trial by fire, and if we survive, that's great and we can march onwards to hope, and if we die we deserved it and would probably have done terrible things to the world if we'd lived"...well, that wouldn't be very satisfying.

See my view of it is Tengan isn't a Remnant of Despair because he wasn't brainwashed into supporting Junko, unlike Chisa and the 77th class. Rather, he is someone who has always supported Junko from the shadows. The "remnant" label is applied to those who Junko explicitly recruited, but were left aimless in the wake of her death. If he was supporting her for his own agenda, without her ever knowing, then he wouldn't really be part of her crew. Tengan's bracelet is that he can't lie, but lying by omission may not count in the most literal sense.

Remember that he's the one who helped approved her admission, bypassing Kizakura and Jin in the decision entirely, and so he had to know what she really was all along. He also helped shield Izuru from capture after the student council murders. I think in the next Despair episode, we're going to see just what Tengan is all about.

lotus circle fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Sep 20, 2016

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Awhile back I was talking with a friend about the monitor theory as it was something I had thought up, friend asked how Chisa would of committed suicide and I just said "She's a SHSL Housewife or something, she climbed up to clean the chandelier and slipped and fell, Clumsy Chisa."

I'm so excited for him to see this episode now :allears:

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Anatharon posted:

explain what the deal with Chisa seeing her own death was,

It's a non-diegetic scene, it's a scene that is not actually a part of the story, it happened outside the narrative. Same as how Monokuma's mini-recap halfway through Future happened outside the story.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

Axle_Stukov posted:

About that since Juzo removed his bracelet, it could be possible he's being counted as "dead" for the sake of the counter. Also they didn't show the counter this time so...

That could be a good way around it. If that's the case, then that would also mean that the sixteenth person had to be someone who's wearing a bracelet, so the theory that it could be Hagakure on some stupid, flimsy technicality could finally be completely ruled out.

CandyCrazy posted:

This episode makes me feel a little better about brainwashing being used, since it seems to work by preying on a person's insecurities, but now I want to know what the other victims saw. Seiko probably saw all the people she couldn't save (including Bandai) and Ruruka probably saw Seiko and Izayoi, but what would Gozu and an already-despairing Chisa see?

Yeah, the brainwashing was a bit of a let-down because it lacked any aspect of personalisation. It might not be the same video, and of course the goal of the video was different, but it's possible that the 77th class were also being shown their insecurities in some manner too. DR3 wouldn't have been able to show it happening until now, since seeing it would've been being saved for Naegi.

lotus circle posted:

Tengan isn't a Remnant of Despair because he wasn't brainwashed into supporting Junko, unlike Chisa and the 77th class. Rather, he is someone who has always supported Junko from the shadows. The "remnant" label is applied to those who Junko explicitly recruited, but were left aimless in the wake of her death. If he was supporting her for his own agenda, without her ever knowing, then he wouldn't really be part of her crew. Tengan's bracelet is that he can't lie, but lying by omission may not count in the most literal sense.

Remember that he's the one who helped approved her admission, bypassing Kizakura and Jin in the decision entirely, and so he had to know what she really was all along. He also helped shield Izuru from capture after the student council murders. I think in the next Despair episode, we're going to see just what Tengan is all about.

Now that's interesting. It's really hard to guess what Tengan would want! It could be got around by saying that he's somebody who was already in despair or something close to it, so he was acting for the sake of despair all along, but I'd really like to see him having some sort of complex motive. Ideally not of the Hope or Despair junkie variety.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

Monaca said she killed Miaya.

I don't recall offhand, but I thought there was an implication she hadn't left Towa City and had no real way of doing it. But again, either way, it's irrelevant at this point.

Van Dine posted:

Now that's interesting. It's really hard to guess what Tengan would want! It could be got around by saying that he's somebody who was already in despair or something close to it, so he was acting for the sake of despair all along, but I'd really like to see him having some sort of complex motive. Ideally not of the Hope or Despair junkie variety.

He's Junko's doting grandfather. She said she wanted to blow up the world so what choice did he have? :v:

• Locked thread