Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

usually i can kind of guess how a stand's name fits their power but california king bed is the most confusing thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Sometimes you've got to listen to the piece of music referenced instead/as well

but I don't have a drat clue in this case either.

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

Butt Ox posted:

I wonder what Hato's stand can do when she's not wearing heels
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calcaneal_spur

Maybe she can extend another extremity, like fake nails or hair extensions, but she just uses her heels because it looks loving radical to pierce a man's skull like that

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

NecroMonster posted:

Sometimes you've got to listen to the piece of music referenced instead/as well

but I don't have a drat clue in this case either.

yeah, it's kinda baffling

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I swear to god if we never learn the identity of that weird guy Josuke flashed back to while fighting the man upstairs, I'm gonna lose my poo poo.

I won't be surprised at this point if it ends up being an early design for Kira, Joubin or Damo.

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

It could be that Araki decided on the generational King naming scheme beforehand and was just like, "nice, I can finally put in a Rihanna reference"

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Josuke Higashikata posted:

yeah, in the same way as that very well received and loved little poo poo.

:yikes:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

If you think Eric Cartman isn't well loved on a wide scale you're delusional

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

I mean, he's also reviled on a wide scale, I guess

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em

Roach Warehouse posted:

I swear to god if we never learn the identity of that weird guy Josuke flashed back to while fighting the man upstairs, I'm gonna lose my poo poo.

I won't be surprised at this point if it ends up being an early design for Kira, Joubin or Damo.

It's Josuke Higashikata.

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

grancheater posted:

It's Josuke Higashikata.

It's the guy who saved Josuke during the snowstorm when he had a fever.

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Damn it, why it does need to remain only four bullets!?
A friend hooked me up with some photos from the Jojoveller Stand Book, so I've been translating the comments from Araki included with it. So far, I've finished Part 3 and Part 4. You guys might find it interesting.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Oh man, this is really awesome! I'm looking forward to more

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Daxing Dan posted:

A friend hooked me up with some photos from the Jojoveller Stand Book, so I've been translating the comments from Araki included with it. So far, I've finished Part 3 and Part 4. You guys might find it interesting.

Wait, Mikitaka had a stand?!

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

Daxing Dan posted:

This is super loving cool. Thank you for doing that.

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

I love how so much of Araki's writing style is basically "wouldn't it be cool if...?" or more frequently "wouldn't this be hosed up if true?"

Araki posted:

Within the worldview of Jojo, aliens are just barely acceptable.
talking about the series that started with vampires with freezing powers and superheated eye goo beams, then moved onto cyborg Nazis

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I wanna see them animate that time koichi fought the hitler cosplayer

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Koichi lost

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Roach Warehouse posted:

It's jobin, I think. We know Kira knew Jobin. (e: god yeah josuke's right I keep mixing him up with norisuke, he knows norisuke)

I doubt it will ever actually be explained. There are a lot of weird threads from early on that are likely never going to be woven back in.

Okuyasu Nijimura fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Oct 22, 2016

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm still pretty confident that jesus's dentures are biting people

also, in only vaguely related news, the vento aureo retranslation is roughly 2/3rds of the way done if i'm reading the chapters right

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Bite mark forensic tech has been thoroughly discredited so if you think you're gonna nail Jesus for this one, you're wrong

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

quote:

CINDERELLA
Around this time, everyone was talking about beauty shops and cosmetic surgery, so I thought I'd add an aesthetician. The appearance is a feminine silhouette plus beauty shop tools or a dentist.

araki those are two very different sets of tools

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

Also

Araki posted:

Did I have a thing for net patterns back then?
trying to parse the final fight in Vento Aureo whenever Mista and King Crimson were in the same panels :negative:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

It's jobin, I think. We know Kira knew Jobin.

I doubt it will ever actually be explained. There are a lot of weird threads from early on that are likely never going to be woven back in.

We don't know that Kira knew Jobin, we know that Norisuke knew Kira and needed him. It's not a stretch from there, but it's not confirmed.

I'd wager it's an early design for Yagiyama.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Schwarzwald posted:

Wait, Mikitaka had a stand?!

Mikitaka had a stand-like ability that he called Earth Wind and Fire. Whether or not it was a stand is still up in the air, since he couldn't see other stands. Or, at least, didn't react to them.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I didn't remember that he named it, I just remembered he couldn't see other stands.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Earth Wind and Fire was named in a databook. I seem to recall it actually being Planet Waves' original name?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

standard owl posted:

Also

trying to parse the final fight in Vento Aureo whenever Mista and King Crimson were in the same panels :negative:

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Araki posted:

ACHTUNG BABY
I made this one to draw a story about Joseph and Josuke, and that's all there is to this Stand. It's a Stand that turns things invisible, so is its physical form invisible as well, or does it just not have one?

Araki posted:

SHEER HEART ATTACK
Based off of Killer Queen's face, while giving off an aura like nothing in the world can break it... so, it's a tank. The dagger on its forehead represents an assassin, maybe?

I like the ones that are just "It's cool I guess? I dunno lol"

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

https://twitter.com/weedventoaureo/status/736383798753927168

This Twitter is certified Good.

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Damn it, why it does need to remain only four bullets!?
Completed the Jojoveller comments. Here's Part 5, Part 6, and Part 7+8.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
you're a beast thanks.

oh my god the inspiration for king crimson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9v-33jcEDk4

quote:

Characters in Jojo are generally optimistic, but this guy's optimistic about attempting suicide (laughs).

i love araki

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Sep 20, 2016

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

quote:

HEY YA!
A stand that only gives Pocoloco more courage, right? It doesn't really do anything. It doesn't make you lucky, but it can help you feel more optimistic.

Huh. That's pretty interesting. So Pocoloco's luck was just luck then?

I'm gonna be honest I'm having to hold back on just quoting a ton of the stuff in that pastebin. You should click it.

EDIT: Araki likes Mountain Tim as much as I do. Tim haters vacate.

Sam Sanskrit fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Sep 20, 2016

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

quote:

Based off the skyfish, an animal from an urban legend. They're also known as rods. I remember seeing a TV show about these back then, too, so that must be where they're from.

quote:

Its host is a black man with sweet tattoos!

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Sep 20, 2016

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah, Hey Ya! just gives ya little pep talks. I kinda like it, since it means Pocoloco won under his own ability.

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

Okay one more that I think is particularly interesting.

quote:

CHARIOT REQUIEM
Mozart began writing his Requiem when he got a commission from a mysterious visitor. Here, we have a pitch-black messenger, creating an image of death. The visitor's gender remains a mystery, so I gave the stand an androgynous fashion.

I like that the text dump makes clear that a motif for stands is being fusions of mechanical and biological aspects. I knew a lot of them looked robotic but I like that the idea is more specific then that.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Dirty Deeds Dirt Cheap is confirmed as basically a giant green rabbit baseball. Truly, it is the Fighting Spirit of America.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
These are all really cool, thank you so much.

Your way works too posted:

I like that the text dump makes clear that a motif for stands is being fusions of mechanical and biological aspects. I knew a lot of them looked robotic but I like that the idea is more specific then that.

You can really tell that that wasn't exactly solidified until a little bit later, what with Hermit Purple and the only really off thing about Star Plat being his ears.

I like how Tusk is based off of an axolotl :3:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

quote:

TUSK ACT 4
The inside of its curtain-like body is hollow, and its face can move around like the Zaku's mono-eye. Up until 3, it hid behind its host, but this one is battle-ready.

THIS IS NO RIPPLE, BOY

NO RIPPLE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Acts one through three were not battle ready.

This one is.