Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Creed and Hateful Eight were last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

greatn posted:

Creed and Hateful Eight were last year.

Not in the UK they weren't.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I can't comprehend actively liking CA: CW. Three minutes into it I was like, "I've seen this all before. I've seen this movie eight times now. Nothing's going to happen, no one's going to die, the action will be passable and totally forgettable, the quips will be weirdly lukewarm." And guess what?

Age of Ultron was a worse movie, but Civil War absolutely broke me. I was squirming in my seat for the last hour and a half.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

the nicest thing i can say about civil war is that it took me weeks to feel like i'd forgotten 90% of what even happened in that movie, compared to age of ultron where it probably took a few days, tops

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

porfiria posted:

I can't comprehend actively liking CA: CW. Three minutes into it I was like, "I've seen this all before. I've seen this movie eight times now. Nothing's going to happen, no one's going to die, the action will be passable and totally forgettable, the quips will be weirdly lukewarm." And guess what?

Age of Ultron was a worse movie, but Civil War absolutely broke me. I was squirming in my seat for the last hour and a half.

I like the characters and the actors who play them.

It's how I feel about the later seasons of The Office or Parks and Rec.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
No way. I mean, Civil War had that part where And you know, the thing with the stuff where Cap's all like and Black Panther outran the car and then GiANT Man said something funny I think probably and stepped on an airplane.

I remember the Spider-Man stuff.

Also, who was Vision shooting at when he hit Iron Bland to paralyze him? How did he, a Jesus Robot, miss?

Drifter fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Sep 20, 2016

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Drifter posted:

How did he, a Jesus Robot, miss?

Tony Stark: How did this happen?
Vision: I became distracted. (By Scarlet Witch - Ed)
Tony Stark: I didn't think that was possible.
Vision: Neither did I.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Falcon also dodges the shot.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

porfiria posted:

I can't comprehend actively liking CA: CW.

Disagree sure, but unable to comprehend? TV shows retain audiences for far more than 10 episodes.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkdH1CETM_M

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Electromax posted:

Disagree sure, but unable to comprehend? TV shows retain audiences for far more than 10 episodes.

Yeah but television shows usually do have a lot of stuff happening with meaningful consequences (Breaking Bad), will they/won't they (Cheers), or an interest in repetition and cycles (The Wire, Mad Men). Like, there's no delight in seeing Tony and Cap getting into a lover's quarrel and then sort of reconciling in the end. It doesn't mean anything.

Edit: Like, even repetitive television shows, if they're good, test the characters in meaningful ways with the events of the plot. And the REALLY repetitive ones, like Murder She Wrote, are actually about the one-off characters. Cap's obsession with Bucky reads as a serious problem that will come to some kind of head (they're not kids in Brooklyn anymore), but Cap just escapes all consequences and Bucky...goes to back prison I guess? Whatever.

porfiria fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Sep 20, 2016

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Slugworth posted:

Falcon also dodges the shot.

If it made Rhodes suit go haywire and become nonfunctional it would have just instantly loving killed Sam.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

porfiria posted:

but Cap just escapes all consequences and Bucky...goes to back prison I guess? Whatever.

Bucky willingly goes back to ice prison. That's character development. Before, he didn't even have a choice.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think cap ends the film a wanted man on the lamb.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Drifter posted:

Bucky willingly goes back to ice prison. That's character development. Before, he didn't even have a choice.

Oh great. The problem is that Bucky's not a central character--he's just a projection of Cap's psychology, a ghost from his past. Which is fine in itself--most characters in stories are devices for illuminating things about the major players. So the real question is why does Bucky do this? What does it say about Cap? I admit I'm an idiot, but I have no idea.

The big question is: how are things different now? For Cap and Iron Man? That's an important question not because I give a gently caress about Iron Man 4 or whatever, but because ideally in a plot driven action movie you want a sense that nothing will ever be the same again. John McClaine gets his family back. Neo is Jesus. Luke is a hero of the Rebellion. Cap and Iron Man are...still friends. They'll probably trade quips about trying to murder each other in Avengers 3.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

greatn posted:

that'll lead to a real tense first 15 minutes of infinity war before everyone decides to be friends again

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

greatn posted:

If it made Rhodes suit go haywire and become nonfunctional it would have just instantly loving killed Sam.
The dialogue is something along the lines of 'he's got wings, make him a glider' implying the shot was meant to hit his little jet pack thing and disable it. I'm unable to speak as to the specific stopping power of Vision's mind gem powered eye laser beams of course.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

porfiria posted:

Oh great. The problem is that Bucky's not a central character--he's just a projection of Cap's psychology, a ghost from his past. Which is fine in itself--most characters in stories are devices for illuminating things about the major players. So the real question is why does Bucky do this? What does it say about Cap? I admit I'm an idiot, but I have no idea.

The big question is: how are things different now? For Cap and Iron Man? That's an important question not because I give a gently caress about Iron Man 4 or whatever, but because ideally in a plot driven action movie you want a sense that nothing will ever be the same again. John McClaine gets his family back. Neo is Jesus. Luke is a hero of the Rebellion. Cap and Iron Man are...still friends. They'll probably trade quips about trying to murder each other in Avengers 3.

Buck's basically the reason Tony and Steve had their lover's squabble.

And yeah, it was pretty hilarious. At the end of it all Tony and Steve are just facebook friends right now because Rogers didn't want to have Bucky seek legitimate medical help and/or face trial for the murder of many people including Tony's parents. I mean, this guy legit killed dudes for fifty loving years.

The only reason the United Nations scenes in CIvil War existed was to introduce Black Panther. There was no further meaning or plot development to it. The Avengers are so far above the law but played like they're little-dicked versions of The Authority.

The whole movie was just Tony wanting Bucky but Cap wanting Bucky even more, and then Bucky friendzoning the both of them. He was frozen because...they couldn't insta-cure his brainwashing? No one else has his action codes. Couldn't Tony's brain thing from the beginning help?

Drifter fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Sep 20, 2016

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Drifter posted:

Buck's basically the reason Tony and Steve had their lover's squabble.

And yeah, it was pretty hilarious. At the end of it all Tony and Steve are just facebook friends right now because Rogers didn't want to have Bucky seek legitimate medical help and/or face trial for the murder of many people including Tony's parents. I mean, this guy legit killed dudes for fifty loving years.

The only reason the United Nations scenes in CIvil War existed was to introduce Black Panther. There was no further meaning or plot development to it. The Avengers are so far above the law but played like they're little-dicked versions of The Authority.

The whole movie was just Tony wanting Bucky but Cap wanting Bucky even more, and then Bucky friendzoning the both of them. He was frozen because...they couldn't insta-cure his brainwashing? No one else has his action codes. Couldn't Tony's brain thing from the beginning help?

I think part of the problem is that two things are simultaneously true. First, Bucky is a brutal killer who shot Tony's parents in the face. We watch him do this, and it's kind of the strongest scene in the movie. And yet, per the plot, Bucky is 100% innocent--blaming Bucky is like blaming the bullets in the gun, and Tony is therefore absolutely wrong to go after him, even if we understand the emotional reaction. But what is the relationship between Tony's irrational response (which per the visual language of the movie is actually the correct response) and his desire for government oversight? Is it an ironic reversal? Or in keeping with previous beliefs? Again I have no idea.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

greatn posted:

Along with his allies too

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
^ #Ant-Man4everRunnin'
AmI wrong or did Tony help the captured guys escape? Was that a comic?

porfiria posted:

I think part of the problem is that two things are simultaneously true. First, Bucky is a brutal killer who shot Tony's parents in the face. We watch him do this, and it's kind of the strongest scene in the movie. And yet, per the plot, Bucky is 100% innocent--blaming Bucky is like blaming the bullets in the gun, and Tony is therefore absolutely wrong to go after him, even if we understand the emotional reaction. But what is the relationship between Tony's irrational response (which per the visual language of the movie is actually the correct response) and his desire for government oversight? Is it an ironic reversal? Or in keeping with previous beliefs? Again I have no idea.

Tony doesn't want government oversight. He want's someone ELSE to be accountable for his moral fuckups. It's established that he's a loose cannon and off the case! and does whatever the gently caress he wants but he also sorta feels bad about some of it afterwards.

He wants to outsource the guilt.

Talk to me about "per the visual language of the movie is actually the correct response". Didn't they show bucky getting mindwiped and stuff? We were both told and showed that, no?

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Potentially useful comparison: Civil War's treatment of the hero's full blown vigilantism and similar in The Dark Knight.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

porfiria posted:

Potentially useful comparison: Civil War's treatment of the hero's full blown vigilantism and similar in The Dark Knight.

I mean, at least Batman put full body harnesses on the SWAT team guys before he tossed them off the building. Cap and Bucky just straight up murder the police when they storm that apartment.

I'm mostly struggling to remember what happens in Civil War, you're being too smart for me when you ask me to compare it to other movies.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Drifter posted:

I mean, at least Batman put full body harnesses on the SWAT team guys before he tossed them off the building. Cap and Bucky just straight up murder the police when they storm that apartment.

I'm mostly struggling to remember what happens in Civil War, you're being too smart for me when you ask me to compare it to other movies.

I just mean that the movies, in their last seconds, convey the concept of "the hero is now a hunted man" in very different ways. By different I mean TDK conveys it and CW doesn't.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Drifter posted:

Well it's not even that, the initial orders are "shoot on sight" and Cap goes to stop that. When he and Bucky are apprehended BW is like "look what you did" and Cap is like "hey, he's alive". If the plan at any point was "let's apprehend this guy and either hold him accountable or if he is compromised try to deprogram him" I think Cap would have been fine with that. It was the reactionary "let's gun this guy down" that Cap was basically always against, and which puts him entirely in the right for the majority of the movie.

Probably the only time it gets weirdly gray is when Cap decides Tony his team won't believe him and they fight in the airport for basically no reason. A more logical thing would have been placing the unstable Bucky in the custody of someone they trusted (Rhodes and Vision maybe?) and a team of Avengers going to Siberia to stop the other super soldiers super quick.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Nothing happened in Civil War? The Sokovia Accords are now law so half of them are on the run from the law, King T'Chaka was killed, Rhodes is crippled, Spider-man was introduced, Thanos is coming to an earth no longer protected by the Avengers. I'm sure I missed some things. Its OK if you didn't like the movie but the movie is not to blame.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Nothing happened in Civil War? The Sokovia Accords are now law so half of them are on the run from the law, King T'Chaka was killed, Rhodes is crippled, Spider-man was introduced, Thanos is coming to an earth no longer protected by the Avengers. I'm sure I missed some things. Its OK if you didn't like the movie but the movie is not to blame.

The Accords don't matter. As soon as Thanos shows up, Ross is gonna be 'oh poo poo we need the Avengers. You're all allowed to do what you gotta do"

King T'Chaka's death has zero impact on the MCU going forward

Rhodes will be able to walk thanks to Stark tech

Spider-man's appearance is really the only thing that matters from this movie.

The Avengers will show up to fight Thanos, don't you worry.

side note: Does anyone in the movie ever question why T'Challa, the ruler of a sovereign nation, goes on a manhunt on foreign soil? That would be like President Obama cruising around Europe mowing down ISIS operatives. It would be kind of a big deal.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I don't quite understand how you can hate a movie based on what you guess they are going to do in the next movie(s)

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Saying that King T'Chaka dying will have consequences is like saying Uncle Ben dying will have consequences.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

I like how it's not even clear Rhodes is THAT injured. Like he'll have a slight limp in the next one.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I don't quite understand how you can hate a movie based on what you guess they are going to do in the next movie(s)

Surprise twist: The Avengers team up with Thanos to subjugate the planet.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
The movie starts with the Avengers assembled and it ends with the Avengers' assembly only a phone call away. CAPTAIN AMERICA: CIVIL WAR

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Surprise twist: The Avengers team up with Thanos to subjugate the planet.

Twist pt 2: Thanos is actually a decepticon and comes to earth to avenge his fallen carmrades from the previous movies. :911:
Cross universe movie promotion. Optimus Prime gets to wield Thor's Hammer and Cap's shield. The Hulk rides Grimlock. Hawkeye tries to be friends with Bumblebee but nobody likes a loser so Bumblebee spends the movie trying to avoid him.

Stark accidentally turns Megatron into another set of Iron Man armor. They blow up Texas.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Sep 20, 2016

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Its OK if you didn't like the movie but the movie is not to blame.

I feel like this is going to be a super handy quote in the future.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

More than anything else I remember not liking about Civil War, this piece of dialogue made me outright angry:

quote:

Captain America: If I see a situation pointed south, I can't ignore it. Sometimes I wish I could.
Iron Man: No you don't.
Captain America: *smirk* ...no, I don't. Sometimes...
Iron Man: Sometimes I want to punch you in your perfect teeth.
I don't think I can explain exactly why I hate this dialogue so much... it has something to do with Captain America flip flopping between being a totally earnest guy and being a complete smug rear end in a top hat, but it also just triggers my bullshit alarm way too hard. Am I crazy or is this complete poo poo?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Martman posted:

More than anything else I remember not liking about Civil War, this piece of dialogue made me outright angry:

I don't think I can explain exactly why I hate this dialogue so much... it has something to do with Captain America flip flopping between being a totally earnest guy and being a complete smug rear end in a top hat, but it also just triggers my bullshit alarm way too hard. Am I crazy or is this complete poo poo?

Considering it sounds nothing like the total sincere and 100% on point Steve Rogers from the first Captain America?

It should piss you off.

Nothing But Hate
Oct 7, 2006
When night falls, she covers the world, in impenetrable darkness
I know this shouldnt surprise me but I cant really understand how anyone that isnt a child could enjoy Terminator Genisys it really was a terrible movie.

E: Just to be clear Im not calling anyone that liked it a child everyone is entitled to their opinion, just that I can only imagine it being enjoyable to children.

Nothing But Hate fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Sep 20, 2016

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
I had no intentions of watching Genisys, but after reading the last couple pages now I definitely will. Good or bad, at least it seems interesting (which I didn't get at all from the trailer).

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Guy A. Person posted:

I feel like this is going to be a super handy quote in the future.

Man, people sure are butthurt about that time I criticized one aspect of BvS. Watched Paycheck tonight. I always enjoy a John Woo movie. It's funny, I respect Ben Affleck as an actor now so it makes me view his previous work in a better light. If I had some video editing skills it would be fun to take clips of this movie and turn them into some kind of Bruce Wayne/Batman origin. You could even work in clips of the Nolan trilogy since the girl he's with is named Rachel.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Sep 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Man, people sure are butthurt about that time I criticized one aspect of BvS.
No mostly just about your pages of bad posts.

• Locked thread