Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
why do all shounen sports manga have "mystery can't exercise" illness and not just go the H2 route except its legit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
anime and manga are often incredibly guilty of the "mystery killer bloody cough disease" so a sports version isn't surprising.

one series that did it really, shockingly well was RIN. The sister's illness, while I don't believe it was ever named(though it seems like Parkinson's or something similar), is a degenerative brain disease that will inevitably make her into a vegetable, but she struggles against it as hard as she can. Straight up made me tear up at times.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

anime and manga are often incredibly guilty of the "mystery killer bloody cough disease" so a sports version isn't surprising.

one series that did it really, shockingly well was RIN. The sister's illness, while I don't believe it was ever named(though it seems like Parkinson's or something similar), is a degenerative brain disease that will inevitably make her into a vegetable, but she struggles against it as hard as she can. Straight up made me tear up at times.

Sounds more like huntington's disease.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Sounds more like huntington's disease.
Could be, I'm not very familiar with diseases like those.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

Could be, I'm not very familiar with diseases like those.

I am, but only because I watched house md.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The most anime of medical dramas

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

Also the (generally unstated later in the comic) fact that the protagonist is pretty much doomed to suffer from the same condition and no longer be able to draw manga. Which I guess is related to a "do what you can in the present because you never know how things will be in the future" theme.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

like h2 had the main character misdiagnosed as a hosed up arm so he had to quit baseball which turned out to be a load of poo poo but just make it that instead of "mystery illness so gets tired insanely quickly"

they fell as a kid and hosed their shoulder and welp

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Ytlaya posted:

Also the (generally unstated later in the comic) fact that the protagonist is pretty much doomed to suffer from the same condition and no longer be able to draw manga. Which I guess is related to a "do what you can in the present because you never know how things will be in the future" theme.
I think they said he MIGHT get it but so far it's only manifested in the women in his family, so he might also not get it.

Which is still terrifying, but at least not a death sentence.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

http://bato.to/reader#686ac43a4a319902_2

Helloooooooooooooooooooooooooo Fall.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Alternately:

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

You left out the real stars of the chapter, Biggs and Wedge, and their game of shiritori. :allears:

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

z0glin Warchief posted:

You left out the real stars of the chapter, Biggs and Wedge, and their game of shiritori. :allears:
yah i don't get why they didn't translate the shiritori game, odd since those are simple words.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I really like the series though, at least so far.

Crew of militant abolitionists fighting a fascist slaver regime that runs the world from their hijacked superscience skyship is a neat premise.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
So Hayate x Blade is finally updating again! I thank whoever gave up their firstborn for this.

http://bato.to/reader#f38b2fcf8933c508

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Is anyone reading Birdmen?

Scanlations haven't caught up to the latest ch but it's improving as we go on. I'm a huge fan of Yellow Tanabe's prior works.

Also Red Sprite is a fun read so far.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i am, yeah. after how kekkaishi ended i will read anything the dude writes.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Serious Frolicking posted:

i am, yeah. after how kekkaishi ended i will read anything the dude writes.

Kekkaishi had a sad ending :smith:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Alder posted:

Kekkaishi had a sad ending :smith:

it was an excellent sad ending

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.

Serious Frolicking posted:

it was an excellent sad ending

You know, I've never read Kekkaishi because it seemed too run of the mill on the surface but I've been running low on series to pick up lately. It seems like it should be worth it now!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Reiche posted:

You know, I've never read Kekkaishi because it seemed too run of the mill on the surface but I've been running low on series to pick up lately. It seems like it should be worth it now!

the manga was great, the anime was not so great for reasons i can't really remember.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I've finished neither series but the anime had either a great ED or OP

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Schubalts posted:

So Hayate x Blade is finally updating again! I thank whoever gave up their firstborn for this.

http://bato.to/reader#f38b2fcf8933c508

hosed up that it always takes so long to get new updates of this series since it finished three loving years ago

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

dordreff posted:

hosed up that it always takes so long to get new updates of this series since it finished three loving years ago

So many finished manga that have had their translations fizzle out. :smith:

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

dordreff posted:

Now I'm not sure if I should start Hayate x Blade. Reading a series as it gets released is one thing but knowing I may never get to finish this is kind of killing my motivation to read it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Schubalts posted:

So many finished manga that have had their translations fizzle out. :smith:

Sekitou elergy will never finish getting scanlated because of this fatigue, yes

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

It's worse when it happens to the official translations. Looking at you, Manga Box.

Irritated Goat posted:

Now I'm not sure if I should start Hayate x Blade. Reading a series as it gets released is one thing but knowing I may never get to finish this is kind of killing my motivation to read it.

It's a good series, but it's been so long I'll have to start from the beginning again.

e: Refreshing my memory of Manga Box's poo poo, I find the worst example. They discontinued the English version of something when there was only one chapter left. One. Chapter.

Schubalts fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Sep 20, 2016

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Irritated Goat posted:

It's still a fun series, the scanlators just suddenly go for a few months and then stop for like a year for no reason and where the gently caress else do I go for my lesbian swordfighting mangas in the meantime?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

http://bato.to/reader#a1730ff93534bd17

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

this thread has me finally reading kekkaishi for the first time becuase for all the poo poo shounen i read those with boring sound powers i've ignored and this sounded boring

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.

Jose posted:

this thread has me finally reading kekkaishi for the first time becuase for all the poo poo shounen i read those with boring sound powers i've ignored and this sounded boring

It was the same for me, I'm a good 50 chapters in and it's starting to get entertaining!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it only starts getting really good once gen shows up

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

http://bato.to/reader#b4da6379798e126f

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

they talk about planks!!!

Planks are very good but the variation I do has my hands meet in the middle just because I find it more comfortable. You can also do side planks, where you lift your arm and leg on one side up and turn your body perpendicular to the ground, which is a fun way to switch it up

Did you know that the world record for holding a plank is 8 hours, 1 minute, 1 second? The guy set it recently too. I max out at 3 minutes so yeah. The idea of doing interval planks while watching a show seems smart though

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I know it's silly in the first place to criticize the comedy educational erotic weightlifting and exercise manga, but having the untrained character whose purpose is to be new to all of it do something like that seems at cross purposes. It is most likely just a one off gag though, so eh whatever.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

chumbler posted:

I know it's silly in the first place to criticize the comedy educational erotic weightlifting and exercise manga, but having the untrained character whose purpose is to be new to all of it do something like that seems at cross purposes. It is most likely just a one off gag though, so eh whatever.

i havent read the series in question but didnt ippo do the same exact thing in a much more realistic down to earth manga

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i sort of remember shadow skill. was that ever a manga or shounen?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

It was a shonen manga.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

reading kekkaishi and lol

also was shadow skill ever any good/translated? i watched it years ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013