Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Zurui posted:

I don't understand why anyone would buy this. It's literally obsolete the day it comes out (because it doesn't include information from Beyond). If you're a huge fan it's just $150 of poo poo you already know.
Then even more obsolete next year too...

I'm surprised they're doing another one...I still have my hardcover copy of the Revised and Expanded version

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Gonz posted:

But there's no such thing as Shuttlebay Two!

MADNESS.

Shuttlebay Two is where they keep the 85 other shuttlecraft they burn through over the course of the show. :smug:

FlamingLiberal posted:

Then even more obsolete next year too...

I'm surprised they're doing another one...I still have my hardcover copy of the Revised and Expanded version

I pretty much stopped buying Technical Manuals and Encyclopedias for Star Trek when The Internet started having all that poo poo better, for free, and constantly updated. :shrug:

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.
Yeah, my original Star Trek Encyclopedia (the one that only covered six seasons of TNG) was great when you needed an MSN dialup account to log onto the Paramount Star Trek site.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

WickedHate posted:

Corporations know fans have bought dumber and always will.

Just a couple hours ago I was sad that I missed out on buying a hovering Delorean from back to the future. Then I remembered I don't have any money and it looked kind of dumb. Then I saw the comments saying it doesn't even work.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

"Conundrum" is a great episode. The crew has lost their memories, and it's up to Picard, Riker, Worf, Laforge, Ro, and Commander Poopy Butthole to solve this mystery.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Astroman posted:

Shuttlebay Two is where they keep the 85 other shuttlecraft they burn through over the course of the show. :smug:

Impossible, because that's where they keep the 200-some torpedoes that they burn through over the course of the show!

Voyager does have have any dimensional folding ability that allows them to store an infinite amount of goods in a pocket dimension, good sir.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I liked the TNG technical manual and all those derpy Starfleet ships in uh... Mr. Scott's Guide to the Enterprise or something?

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

armoredgorilla posted:

A producer or writer said Bay 2 was actually a maintenance bay FOR shuttles and not an arrival-departure bay but really they just hosed up because they're stupid.

#408 Some kind of secondary shuttlebay

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

armoredgorilla posted:

A producer or writer said Bay 2 was actually a maintenance bay FOR shuttles and not an arrival-departure bay but really they just hosed up because they're stupid.
What the gently caress does it matter. Does it open to space? Can it be sealed and pressurized with a Forcefield or a drop door?

Unless it's small enough for like 3 people to be in at once it's functionally the same right.

Zurui posted:

What's even worse is that we have no idea how big the Defiant actually is.
To be honest I always thought it was like a bigger runabout. Then I had to rethink it because that wouldn't be big enough to run the weapons, shields and cloak. So I ended up with "roughly the width of the Battle Bridge section of the Galaxy class, minus nacelles'

Probably still too big.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Sep 20, 2016

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Grand Fromage posted:

I liked the TNG technical manual and all those derpy Starfleet ships in uh... Mr. Scott's Guide to the Enterprise or something?

Those two, plus the DS9 technical manual, were awesome. It's too bad Rick Sternbach didn't work on Enterprise, I'd have loved to see a tech manual for that show too.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Can't we tell sizes by comparison with ds9 when it docks?

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.

Grand Fromage posted:

The derpy ships were in the Star Trek Star Fleet Technical Manual. Mr. Scott's Guide to the Enterprise was a guided tour of the Refit enterprise. Those and the TNG Technical Manual were the poo poo when I was a nerdy preteen. I should see if I still have them.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

FilthyImp posted:

To be honest I always thought it was like a bigger runabout. Then I had to rethink it because that wouldn't be big enough to run the weapons, shields and cloak. So I ended up with "roughly the width of the Battle Bridge section of the Galaxy class, minus nacelles'

Kinda in between? Four main decks, 50 crew.

She sort of seems like Starfleet's answer to a Bird of Prey. A bit bigger, but not much, and hitting all the same advantages.

Except for that they should be making hundreds of them, but the 'Keep The Hero Ship Visually Distinguishable' thing meant we never saw many.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Sep 20, 2016

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Ceci n'est pas un fabricant de pates
Yeah, I loved the TNG Tech Manual. Some part of me just really dug all the pointless detail, and liked the fact that most of the surface detail on the ship actually meant something. Plus it made the crash scene in Generations even cooler because I could be all "yes, this is the correct procedure for a core breach" like the ridiculous teenage nerd that I was.

I also really liked the Star Trek Chronology, although I think it only went up to season 5 of TNG. Having all the events in the Trek universe indexed by date was a really cool way to look at it. But also totally pointless, and highlighted how randomly writers just dropped in dates for events to suit each episode.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Let's not forget the TNG floorplans. Those were awesome.

Although the Whitefire originals are way better than the Sternbach-modified version that was released. :spergin:

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Watched "Tears of the Prophets" the other night with the fiancée, when Dukat uses his space-god powers on Jadzia, she's all "...It's okay, she's too important. They won't kill her off."

You know that awkward seal meme? Yeah, that was my face for the rest of the episode.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I willingly chose to watch Nemesis today after two hours of sleep and a 7am Medieval Lit class. :suicide:

Though the dune buggy makes more sense if you assume it's what eternal idiot Tom Paris convinced Starfleet to make after he got home.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

FilthyImp posted:

What the gently caress does it matter. Does it open to space? Can it be sealed and pressurized with a Forcefield or a drop door?

Unless it's small enough for like 3 people to be in at once it's functionally the same right.

It's difficult for it to do any of those things when it doesn't exist at all.

This isn't me being pedantic. Voyager has 1 shuttlebay. Period. There's no second shuttlebay on the model. They hosed up and said there were 2 shuttlebays and tried to brush it away by saying "actually one is an interior maintenance bay with no outside access".

It's nothing major. It's just the usual Voyager carelessness.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

I watched the s2 ending of Gotham last night in preparation for the new season, and I can't be sure, but I'm nearly sure it was Terry Farrel in the final scene.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Surely where the aeroshuttle docks counts as a shuttlebay?

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

The_Doctor posted:

Surely where the aeroshuttle docks counts as a shuttlebay?

I loved the scene when Janeway took Amelia Earhart out in the aeroshuttle to see the amazing cities

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Tsaedje posted:

I loved the scene when Janeway took Amelia Earhart out in the aeroshuttle to see the amazing cities

I can't believe they didn't get the emmy for this.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Apparently, the Netflix deal for discovery paid for its production 100%. So, it's literally no risk for them right now. That pretty much puts the nail the in coffin about them even thinking of backing out of the all access scheme. They have nothing to lose

However, that may also be good news about the series continuing. If Netflix's calculus says it's worth another season, they may throw down again for it.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

bull3964 posted:

Apparently, the Netflix deal for discovery paid for its production 100%.

Do you have a source on this?

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?

Dirty posted:

I also really liked the Star Trek Chronology, although I think it only went up to season 5 of TNG. Having all the events in the Trek universe indexed by date was a really cool way to look at it. But also totally pointless, and highlighted how randomly writers just dropped in dates for events to suit each episode.

There was a second edition which added events up to the end of season 2 of Voyager and Season 4 of DS9, and the past-part of First Contact. I loved the poo poo outta that book. Doesn't seem to be any chance of a third edition though.

Gorgo Primus
Mar 29, 2009

We shall forge the most progressive republic ever known to man!

GlenMR posted:

There was a second edition which added events up to the end of season 2 of Voyager and Season 4 of DS9, and the past-part of First Contact. I loved the poo poo outta that book. Doesn't seem to be any chance of a third edition though.

The new one is the third edition though...

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Timby posted:

Do you have a source on this?

Leslie Moonves himself.

http://variety.com/2016/biz/news/leslie-moonves-star-trek-netflix-nil-1201865908/

quote:

The price Netflix paid for the new “Star Trek: Discovery” series (sight unseen as the show went straight to series) will cover the show’s production costs.

“I go to bed at night a lot happier knowing that ‘Star Trek’ is 100 percent paid for before it goes on our All Access service,” Moonves said.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

...because everyone knows it ain't earning poo poo there.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Grand Fromage posted:

The FASA Star Trek TNG Technical Manual that came out during the first season or so had wildly innacurate, non-canon information (in retrospect, at the time who knew?) but it had some cool ship designs that never appeared elsewhere.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
So even if it fails on CBS all access, could Netflix just order more seasons.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Depends. CBS really wants a slice of the streaming pie. Even if it's already broken even thanks to Netflix, a renewal may still depend on how many All Access subs it can push. And if the first season doesn't at least show promise, even Netflix may not be interested in paying for another season.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Cojawfee posted:

So even if it fails on CBS all access, could Netflix just order more seasons.

Pretty much, yes.

The opposite is true as well. If Netflix decides it didn't add/retain enough subs for the money they put in, they could come back to CBS next year and either say they aren't interested any more or scale back their investment. Then CBS will have to evaluate how it did domestically and figure out of its worth it.

Ideal situation? It does gangbusters for netflix and pretty much is a flop for all-access. Netflix comes back next year and says "We'll pay you even more for it if we get domestic distribution rights as well."

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Hopefully Netflix releases how many US subscribers type "star trek discovery" into their search with no results.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cojawfee posted:

Hopefully Netflix releases how many US subscribers type "star trek discovery" into their search with no results.

I would search it ten times per day if I thought it would help

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Astroman posted:

The FASA Star Trek TNG Technical Manual that came out during the first season or so had wildly innacurate, non-canon information (in retrospect, at the time who knew?) but it had some cool ship designs that never appeared elsewhere.

I had that book -- come to think of it I probably still have it in a box somewhere. I remember thinking the ship designs were hideous, though. And as I recall, it had all kinds of wildly inaccurate character things that probably came from pre-production notes, like Troi was from Angel One or something.

But the TOS/Movie era FASA roleplay stuff was awesome. I loved the Ship Recognition Manual -- now THOSE were some pretty ships.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Powered Descent posted:

And as I recall, it had all kinds of wildly inaccurate character things that probably came from pre-production notes, like Troi was from Angel One or something.

Or it comes from a parallel universe.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Astroman posted:

Is that where the goofy looking ships with a saucer attached to a single nacelle come from? The nice thing about the Kelvin design is that they realized you need something on the other side to visually balance it.

On that note, since I love the design of the Kelvin, have a TOS-ified version (source):

Lord Hydronium fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Sep 21, 2016

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Lord Hydronium posted:

Is that where the goofy looking ships with a saucer attached to a single nacelle come from? The nice thing about the Kelvin design is that they realized you need something on the other side to visually balance it.

On that note, since I love the design of the Kelvin, have a TOS-ified Kelvin:

The Kelvin is literally the best design in all of Trek.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

armoredgorilla posted:

It's difficult for it to do any of those things when it doesn't exist at all.
Hah. Sorry if it seemed the rant was directed at you. I was just hating on yet another Voyager halfass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Lord Hydronium posted:

On that note, since I love the design of the Kelvin, have a TOS-ified version (source):

Oooooh, I dig this:

Edit: Hire this guy to do the VFX for the new show.

Zurui fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Sep 21, 2016