Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

So, with the Galaxy Note 7 debacle, I might actually switch to an iPhone for the first time. One thing that I do regularly on Android is I have a Keepass password database in Google Drive and I use KeePassDroid (android app) to read the database and copy paste passwords to different applications to sign in with. I don't actually memorize any of my passwords. Is this possible with iOS?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yes, there are KeePass apps on iOS and I assume you can copy/paste from them (otherwise they'd be kind of pointless).

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
My wife and I are on Homesharing so we share a payment method. I've got a bunch of credit on my account, but her iCloud subscription and other purchases still come off my credit card.

Is credit not shared between accounts? If I buy some discounted gift cards, do I have to evenly distribute them between between us?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

eddiewalker posted:

My wife and I are on Homesharing so we share a payment method. I've got a bunch of credit on my account, but her iCloud subscription and other purchases still come off my credit card.

Is credit not shared between accounts? If I buy some discounted gift cards, do I have to evenly distribute them between between us?

No. It's tied to the iTunes/iCloud account.

If your wife has a different iCloud account, check the payment settings. I'll bet your CC is in her account.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

To follow up my question about GTD apps earlier: I decided to just stick to my tried and true Notes.app, since it just works v:shobon:v. Omnifocus does look cool though, and it prompted me to rearrange my current notes to something that resembles their more methodical setup. I guess I'll keep Omnifocus mind for if this get too unruly for me to handle on my own.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

kiwid posted:

So, with the Galaxy Note 7 debacle, I might actually switch to an iPhone for the first time. One thing that I do regularly on Android is I have a Keepass password database in Google Drive and I use KeePassDroid (android app) to read the database and copy paste passwords to different applications to sign in with. I don't actually memorize any of my passwords. Is this possible with iOS?

Endless Mike posted:

Yes, there are KeePass apps on iOS and I assume you can copy/paste from them (otherwise they'd be kind of pointless).

The only thing to look out for is if the KeePass app has a way to access Google Drive, since you don't have straight up filesystem access on iOS. I would imagine any keepass apps would have good cloud service integration though, because that's the easiest way to sync the database.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

The Milkman posted:

The only thing to look out for is if the KeePass app has a way to access Google Drive, since you don't have straight up filesystem access on iOS. I would imagine any keepass apps would have good cloud service integration though, because that's the easiest way to sync the database.

You can always use the google drive app to access the database then send it via share menu to your keepass application, it's not the end of the world to use things like Minikeepass that don't have a cloud service provider integration. (Or at least it didn't have that, I haven't used it in a while)

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

gently caress it, if I have to switch to LastPass then I will. Ordered the iPhone 7.

Kailtor
Jun 7, 2005

fucking kailtor

Ask me about my lifetime subscription

:ughh: :ughh:

kiwid posted:

MiniKeePass works very well. I do exactly what you said there. I haven't tried from google drive, but it works with Dropbox exactly how you'd want.

MiniKeePass — Secure Password Manager by Flush Software, LLC
https://appsto.re/us/W_86A.i

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

kiwid posted:

gently caress it, if I have to switch to LastPass then I will. Ordered the iPhone 7.

I use Enpass -- it's free (and full-featured) if you have less than 20 entries in your database, otherwise, it's $10 to simply unlock the cap. Offers syncing through most popular cloud services, including iCloud. Offers the option to manually sync your database if you want to really lock it down.

Uses Touch ID to access the database (or a password if you prefer, but Touch ID is way faster,) and allows for quick copying/pasting of passwords. I dunno if LastPass (or any other more expensive password managers) allow for Touch ID auto-entering of passwords in other applications, but that'd be really sweet.

iOS/iCloud products also have a built-in synced password manager, so if you don't change your passwords often, you can opt to just have them autofill.

enojy fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Sep 19, 2016

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LastPass allows it, but only if the app is either coded for it specifically or if it's doing it in a SafariView, I think.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

I'm a longtime lastpass evangelist (check my posting history if you doubt me) but I recently switched to 1Password because they support 1-time passwords/2FA. Also the process for handling situations where the same login is used across multiple domains is much more intuitive than LP's equivalent domains setup. Think I'll be sticking to it 1P for the foreseeable future.

Kailtor
Jun 7, 2005

fucking kailtor

Ask me about my lifetime subscription

:ughh: :ughh:
Minikeepass has Touch ID support as well. Also it's free. FREEEEEEE!

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
What are decent safari adblocking apps? I just finally got a new iPhone that is 64 bit.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Wipr, 1Blocker, whatever else looks popular on the App Store.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

1Blocker has made mobile browsing not awful so I have to recommend it.

It was loving savagery out there before the ad blockers, god drat

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Hot Dog Day 42069 posted:

Wipr, 1Blocker, whatever else looks popular on the App Store.

I only ask because a lot of them apparently sold out and still allow some ads.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

1Blocker has made mobile browsing not awful so I have to recommend it.

It was loving savagery out there before the ad blockers, god drat

I agree. On top of being obnoxious, it crashed safari on my 5C a bunch. Hopefully this all changes now.

JNCO BILOBA
Nov 22, 2005

Re: water tracking apps

Gallon a day is good.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Avocados posted:

I only ask because a lot of them apparently sold out and still allow some ads.

I agree. On top of being obnoxious, it crashed safari on my 5C a bunch. Hopefully this all changes now.

I don't believe the 5C was compatible with adblockers, as it wasn't a 64-bit OS.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

Lblitzer posted:

I don't believe the 5C was compatible with adblockers, as it wasn't a 64-bit OS.

I think he meant the ads.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Adguard seems good. 1Blocker had been failing me a lot recently (I kept having to unenable and reenable it and manually refresh the app to get it to work) but Adguard isn't causing me issues yet.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Anyone else have issues with Spark badges? They're all hosed up.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
What's the best calendar app now? I have Fantastical 2 but I reeally didn't like the interface because it's a bit complicated.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Can't answer that, sorry, but in case others are interested both the iPhone and iPad versions of Fantastical are on sale for 40 and 50% off.

Sadly the Mac app is still $40.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Unless they open up Siri to third party ones soon I'm just using stock Calendar for now. It's really handy being able to just tell Siri to make an event for such and such a time and being able to edit it later.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Unless they open up Siri to third party ones soon I'm just using stock Calendar for now. It's really handy being able to just tell Siri to make an event for such and such a time and being able to edit it later.

I don't know how calendar apps like Fantastical work, but the app I use (Week Calendar), just hooks into the system calendar (which I set up to be Google Calendar). It's basically a wrapper for the default calendar app. This gets me the advantages of a better view, while still allowing me to use Siri (and for example the mac calendar app, which is fine).

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Fantastical hooks into the calendar API, so you can still use Siri with it. You're just "telling" the stock calendar app which Fantastical picks up.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Week View is great thanks!

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

The week view design language is awful though. Have they not updated it at all for the last 5 years?

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

hadji murad posted:

I just don't like buying an App from Marco then having him change the pricing arrangement. I'm happy I have no ads with Overcast but if I don't feel i should have to put money into it in the future.

I also recommended it to a bunch of people being free. Now I kinda wish i hadn't.

Yes, there is no way I'm ever paying for apps via this new subscription pricing BS. I want a one off, perpetual license for software that I pay for, and no recurring fees.

Part of the reason Marco feels he needs to do this recurring payment stuff is that he has a big server side component of the app, required for it to work, and which requires upkeep, hosting etc.

I'd argue that's not at all necessary for a podcast app, but I can see the advantages in terms of battery & a more efficient sync.

That said, I ultimately find having unnecessary software-as-a-service elements to be a big net disadvantage to any app (if Marco gets hit by a bus, the app is useless).

Edit:

~Coxy posted:

Just don't update Overcast?

Can't do that, as the server part might just stop working with old versions.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Did something with Twitter mess up how tweets are displayed in Twitterrific? A lot of tweets with photos have been cutting off text and replacing it with a link to the web version of the post (twitter.com/i/web/status/...) in the past few days.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

GobiasIndustries posted:

Did something with Twitter mess up how tweets are displayed in Twitterrific? A lot of tweets with photos have been cutting off text and replacing it with a link to the web version of the post (twitter.com/i/web/status/...) in the past few days.

Twitter just changed their limits so links/quotes etc are not counted as part of the 140 character limit. App will need an update to account for the longer tweets I imagine.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Boris Galerkin posted:

What's the best calendar app now? I have Fantastical 2 but I reeally didn't like the interface because it's a bit complicated.

This may not be what you're after exactly but I mentioned it because it may be what someone else is after. (and it took me a long time to find.)

~Coxy posted:

I use Calystwo CCal because as far as I can tell it's the only calendar that has:
-sync with google calendar directly and handle multiple shared calendars
-customise the start day of the week
-colour-code weekends
-colour-code Today
-print the title of events in Month view
-multi-day events render across days nicely

If it would only cross off days in the past it would be perfect.
Since pretty much no other calendar has a usable Month view I must be in the incredible minority but I mention it in case anyone else has been dying for it.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

LPG Giant posted:

I don't know how calendar apps like Fantastical work, but the app I use (Week Calendar), just hooks into the system calendar (which I set up to be Google Calendar). It's basically a wrapper for the default calendar app. This gets me the advantages of a better view, while still allowing me to use Siri (and for example the mac calendar app, which is fine).

Seconding week calendar. Love the detailed month view.

As for ad blockers I used to use Blockr but there hasn't been an update in ages. I also tried to contact the app developers but never got an answer. I have switched to Wipr since and can't complain. Works great. Honestly I don't think there's much of a difference between all the ad blockers nowadays.

Danyull
Jan 16, 2011

Has anyone who uses Google Music or another music streaming app that's not Apple Music had problems with the lock screen buttons for skipping, pausing, and volume control disappearing? I have an iPhone 6 and it's only started since updating to iOS 9. Of course, I started my free trial of Apple Music out of curiosity and haven't had any such problems, so I think it might be some conspiracy to get me to use that instead :tinfoil:

Kristneder
Jul 21, 2006

:siren:This is my first post.:siren:

Danyull posted:

Has anyone who uses Google Music or another music streaming app that's not Apple Music had problems with the lock screen buttons for skipping, pausing, and volume control disappearing? I have an iPhone 6 and it's only started since updating to iOS 9. Of course, I started my free trial of Apple Music out of curiosity and haven't had any such problems, so I think it might be some conspiracy to get me to use that instead :tinfoil:

I have been using the "upload your own music" to google music service for a long time with no issues. Both iOS 9 and 10.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Is there any way to get google.com, in safari, to remember that I want it to have access to my location? It asks me every loving time I do a google search and I always say yes.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Boris Galerkin posted:

Still think Fantastical 2 is the best. Also, it's probably the only widget I actually find useful on iOS.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

tuyop posted:

Is there any way to get google.com, in safari, to remember that I want it to have access to my location? It asks me every loving time I do a google search and I always say yes.

I have the same problem. I thought my phone was hosed, glad to know I'm not alone. No idea how to fix it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

People who do iOS app development - is it a legitimately difficult task to keep a user logged in after an app has updated itself? Because it drives me nuts when I open up something, usually because I need it there and then, and rather than being able to use it I'm greeted with a damned login screen. Which means retreating into Settings > Safari > Passwords and hoping that I have the logins in there (as I tend to use Safari generated ones). Slightly tedious if you're just looking something up casually, but a pain when you're trying to use something like Groupon to pay for something.

I presume it must be, because I seem to have had this an absolute ton this week with the iOS 9 > 10 overhaul.