Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

I’m a fan of the oriel window, not so much the rest.

It’s presumably been standing since the Year of Our Lord Eighteen Hundred and Ninety‐five, though, and it looks to be in good shape, so I have to give it credit for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Platystemon posted:

It’s presumably been standing since the Year of Our Lord Eighteen Hundred and Ninety‐five, though, and it looks to be in good shape, so I have to give it credit for that.

I have a very irrational love of turrets. Even on that stupid thing it kind of looks interesting.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Man, the budget cuts hit Hogwarts hard.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

http://i.imgur.com/YLsuqEh.mp4

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Nice piece of fish posted:

I have a very irrational love of turrets. Even on that stupid thing it kind of looks interesting.

That one at least looks functional, rather than those big stupid ones that only produce wasted airspace in a building.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

This house is Brazil is like an "I Spy" of construction nightmares.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

insert Windows Firewall joke here

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Jordanis
Jul 11, 2006

Platystemon posted:

Would be pretty badass with a matching oriel on the other corner.

I mean, if you're gonna be a castle, be a castle, right?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

But why leave the card there?

If you've got the knowledge to unplug the card, surely you know that you can remove the cable from the card without breaking the network?

...I'm giving them too much credit, aren't ?

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

spog posted:

surely you know that you can remove the cable from the card without breaking the network?

No, I don't think that's the case.
I'm not 100% up on ancient network technologies but removing that card without replacing it with the special terminator plug probably would break the entire network. IIRC you couldn't leave a single jack disconnected or the entire network stopped working. A cable break or an intermittent connection could ruin everybody's day.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/10BASE2

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I think the real crappy construction tale is that someone somewhere is still using a coax network.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

MisterOblivious posted:

No, I don't think that's the case.
I'm not 100% up on ancient network technologies but removing that card without replacing it with the special terminator plug probably would break the entire network. IIRC you couldn't leave a single jack disconnected or the entire network stopped working. A cable break or an intermittent connection could ruin everybody's day.

Not quite right: you can disconnect the NIC from the T-piece and the network will still work.

If you disconnect either of the cables from the T-piece, it will indeed break, as you say.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

spog posted:

Not quite right: you can disconnect the NIC from the T-piece and the network will still work.

If you disconnect either of the cables from the T-piece, it will indeed break, as you say.

Regardless, the terminators can be purchased at 5 for a a couple bucks.

The female to female BNC connectors are 15 for around $5.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Sep 21, 2016

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

It's an art installation.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

GreenNight posted:

It's an art installation.

You have no idea.

telcoM
Mar 21, 2009
Fallen Rib

My wild guess is that the network guy had enough of people asking for the thousandth time: "What is this silly cable loop hanging from the corner of my ceiling?"
Solution: show, don't tell.

And if someone is both illiterate and non-tech-savvy, it just might look enough like "mysterious high technology" to discourage fiddling with it.

With a more tech-savvy audience, it might work in another way:
:v:: "Why is there a network card hanging from a cable loop?"
:eng101:: "Oh, that's how we set up wireless network. Please don't touch it, or it will stop working and that makes people angry."

And if someone disbelieves the explanation and disconnects the cables from the T connector... the wireless network stops working.

Because the coax network is used to feed the hidden old crappy wireless AP that provides wireless network for guests/first-year students/other peons. The network admins have their own shiny 5 GHz wireless network elsewhere.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

Looks like a hotel bathroom? I don't think they ever hire anyone who actually knows what they are doing.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
You are the wind beneath my wings.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Nice piece of fish posted:

:hf: One of my more pointless life goals is to own a house with at least one turret.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

Splicer posted:

:hf: One of my more pointless life goals is to own a house with at least one turret.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I'd settle for

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Sep 24, 2016

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Did it become detached and tilt or built that way? I don't see any water staining under the scupper so it seems like it doesn't really get any flow anyways.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Baronjutter posted:

Did it become detached and tilt or built that way? I don't see any water staining under the scupper so it seems like it doesn't really get any flow anyways.

Judging from how parallel it still is to the corner, I'd say it was installed that far away. Also, thanks for the Scrabble word.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Apologies for the lovely picture.

I live in a ground-floor apartment, and tilers came this morning to re-tile the bottom of our shower, to fix loose tiles. They ripped up the tiles, and began to remove the screed/concrete beneath... only to find out it wasn't concrete.

The cheap oval office who'd re-tiled this bathroom before had used loving dirt to build up the shower, and laid the thinnest, shittiest screed on top of that. Some lucky tree had even managed to get its roots in there.

So now the new tilers have removed all the dirt, but they have to wait a week for the material beneath to dry out properly before they put in an actual waterproof concrete floor, and I need to find somewhere else I can shower before I go to work Monday morning :mad:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Thats what a damp cloth and the sink is for.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

or a gym, or a friend's house... lol

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Actually I've got a friend who runs a backpacker hostel not too far from my workplace, but it's still a huge loving hassle given that I walk to work and will have to find somewhere to stash my dirty clothes and wet towel.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I'm all the cheese being shot out of a cannon.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Those may look like delicious cheese wheels but they're actually bags of gunpowder. A battleship-sized gun doesn't have the propellant built into the shell, it'd be both ridiculously unsafe and even more unwieldy than it already is.

So every shell fired is paired up with three or four big cylindrical bags of powder.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i myself am the bendynose shell of power.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Redeye Flight posted:

Those may look like delicious cheese wheels but they're actually bags of gunpowder. A battleship-sized gun doesn't have the propellant built into the shell, it'd be both ridiculously unsafe and even more unwieldy than it already is.

So every shell fired is paired up with three or four big cylindrical bags of powder.

I served in the coastal artillery so I think I know a cheese load when I see it thank you very much.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

Ah, I apologize. I didn't recognize you were a professional cheesethrower, my bad.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Crappy Crawlspace Tales: 400+ gallons of literal poo poo.

From /r/WTF, "Toilet drain pipe fell off, toilet has been flushing into crawl space for an indeterminate amount of time."

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

I'm pretty sure those are grounds to burn the house down.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

wolrah posted:

Crappy Crawlspace Tales: 400+ gallons of literal poo poo.

From /r/WTF, "Toilet drain pipe fell off, toilet has been flushing into crawl space for an indeterminate amount of time."

400 gallons sounds like at least 200 toilet flushes, more if it's a water saver.

how do you not notice the smell before flushing the toilet 200 times?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Was the toilet draining through 1½" pipe laying on the ground?

Time to call your local public adjuster. Sewage remediation is not cheap if done properly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/melbournes-highrise-nightmares-taking-a-tall-toll-on-residents-and-investors-20160916-gri6l4.html