Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
It does not. :zombie:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I just don't think it's worth anything, when you could spend your time and resources better elsewhere. Pros: some promotions, a very mild and niche panic reduction. Con: possible team wipe, no body rewards, a ghost shows up and eats you irl.

vv: Very fair! I enjoyed playing it. Just not more than once.

Bogart fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Sep 17, 2016

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
It's a really cool mission and you should do it at least once, though probably not in an Ironman or anything,

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Beagle is playing The Bureau tonight.

EDIT: on hard :stonk:

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Sep 17, 2016

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

monster on a stick posted:

Poor sap.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Bogart posted:

That's a great way to get no MELD, though. From what I remember: use grenades to soften up Sectoids and other starting enemies, but don't finish them off with them or else risk losing Weapon Frags, expect every shot that you need to hit will miss and have contingencies to lock down baddies.

Just skip the Newfoundland mission when it pops up. It's not worth losing your squad.

Are you people serious? It's not that hard lol...

Huszsersvn
Nov 11, 2009

Nice world you've got here. Shame if anything were to happen to it.

EDIT: on hard :stonk:

The Bureau is a solid 7/10 kind of game. It really amazes me how drat playable it is despite its very troubled production.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Dongicus posted:

Are you people serious? It's not that hard lol...

I play on Impossible lol...
It's a game of risk management. I choose not to take that risk.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Bogart posted:

I play on Impossible lol...
It's a game of risk management. I choose not to take that risk.

Even then, as long as you can handle the pods up to the ship just send one dude up to sneak along the edge. Hit the transponder and have everyone run.

A maximum of 3 'lids will ever get in range and you will literally always be able to handle 3 'lids by the time Newfoundland pops. Way too many people try to slug it out, or don't run. In X-COM EW 'lids don't have the movement to catch up to you if you're moving at least a full blue move each turn.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

What I usually do is just level the whole drat map with explosives. They can't spawn if all the spawning objects have been destroyed.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Thanks game for starting me six full dashes away from the node I have to hack.
Thanks game for not letting me target the turret I hacked, which attacked me the very turn I lost control.
On the plus side all the videogame characters are banding together.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Huszsersvn posted:

The Bureau is a solid 7/10 kind of game. It really amazes me how drat playable it is despite its very troubled production.

There was a goon LP of it, and it got beautiful when another goon who was on the QA team for it showed up with insider advice and "oh hey that launch things to orbit bug is still in "

edit: here

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Sep 18, 2016

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

Thanks game for not letting me target the turret I hacked, which attacked me the very turn I lost control.

Did you try targeting the turret through the fire weapon command? That should work when the turret is still firendly and you can't just click its icon.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Is it just me, or is this game less replayable than the first one? Maybe it's too similar and I played the living poo poo out of the first one so I'm burned out on xcom in general?

Also, it seems harder than the first one too. Like in classic in #1 I'd maybe need to try once or twice before getting a game going, and in this one I have to try the first couple of missions a TON of times. Also what's the preferred easiest way to start: is the tutorial mission rescuing the commander, a good idea or not?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i think this game has the illusion of being harder because you were basically invincible when you could creep up and overwatch your way across the map. the timer in this makes it seem like you have to play really reckless but its actually a pretty generous timer ~usually~

i had trouble starting in this game a bit before i realized that yet again getting as much money as soon as possible was ideal and started rushing satellite relays. the continent bonuses changing a lot somewhat deemphasizes this but its still the most steady opening i find

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
The inclusion of Advent Officers and their ability to mark and the time limits make the early game harder than pre-thin-man EU.

Dexanth
Dec 4, 2003

The last thing an ice cream cone ever sees
Newfoundland is like, one of the easiest missions out there in EW. The trick is not hitting the transponder right away while you set up with high ground against the whale, and then turkey shoot until they stop spawning.

Then you get everyone into position to run, get your fastest dude to tag the button, and head on out. Cakewalk.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

redreader posted:

Is it just me, or is this game less replayable than the first one? Maybe it's too similar and I played the living poo poo out of the first one so I'm burned out on xcom in general?

Also, it seems harder than the first one too. Like in classic in #1 I'd maybe need to try once or twice before getting a game going, and in this one I have to try the first couple of missions a TON of times. Also what's the preferred easiest way to start: is the tutorial mission rescuing the commander, a good idea or not?

I think they wanted to make the game harder, because of the popularity of Long War among steamers and some players. (I think some of that popularity among streamers has to do with being able to get so many viewers into the character pool, and also because it's arguably more fun to watch someone good, or even bad, at LW play it than it is to play it yourself.)

So we got timed missions instead of meld (optional "gotta not turtle" to mandatory "gotta not turtle"), infinite aliens on avenger defense and the final mission, alien rulers, and lots of other things like codices the game does to play around with traditional strategies.

rabidsquid posted:

i think this game has the illusion of being harder because you were basically invincible when you could creep up and overwatch your way across the map. the timer in this makes it seem like you have to play really reckless but its actually a pretty generous timer ~usually~

So here's an example: I mentioned this earlier but I had a mission that dropped me off probably six full dashes away from the McGuffin I was supposed to get. Even at maximum zoom out you'd see this which gives you an idea about the distance involved. The very bottom of the map, you can see where one of my soldiers could dash to, you still can't see the target.

It gave me 12 turns to do so. Fantastic (six turns is plenty to kill ayys you find), except who knows where they are, and since I had to go diagonally, you still had to creep somewhat to avoid a bad activation on your flank. And this was with Sgts as my highest ranked troops, there's no room for error.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Dexanth posted:

Newfoundland is like, one of the easiest missions out there in EW. The trick is not hitting the transponder right away while you set up with high ground against the whale, and then turkey shoot until they stop spawning.

Then you get everyone into position to run, get your fastest dude to tag the button, and head on out. Cakewalk.

Newfoundland can kick your rear end the first time around, and that's fine. But it's perfectly manageable once you know what to expect. It's a great setpiece.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Dexanth posted:

Huh, I never knew they stopped spawning. That makes it better.

But it doesn't change the fact that Canada doesn't reward us for stopping the runaway genocidal attack on their own soil :argh:

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Dr Christmas posted:

Huh, I never knew they stopped spawning. That makes it better.

But it doesn't change the fact that Canada doesn't reward us for stopping the runaway genocidal attack on their own soil :argh:

Yeah, but they're Newfies. They're a Roll Up The Rim short of a double-double. :canada:

Exposure
Apr 4, 2014

So here's an example: I mentioned this earlier but I had a mission that dropped me off probably six full dashes away from the McGuffin I was supposed to get. Even at maximum zoom out you'd see this which gives you an idea about the distance involved. The very bottom of the map, you can see where one of my soldiers could dash to, you still can't see the target.

It gave me 12 turns to do so. Fantastic (six turns is plenty to kill ayys you find), except who knows where they are, and since I had to go diagonally, you still had to creep somewhat to avoid a bad activation on your flank. And this was with Sgts as my highest ranked troops, there's no room for error.

Are you running some mods? The default timer is 8 turns, and I don't think there's anything in the base game to increase the timers based on distance.

In fact the distance alone is kinda baffling because six full dashes is around 90 tiles travelled, and the vanilla Guerilla Ops mission schedules are set to spawn you around 36 - 44 tiles away from the objective.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Pretty sure a number of map mods are buggy as hell.

Or maybe it's the vanilla map generator.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Exposure posted:

Are you running some mods? The default timer is 8 turns, and I don't think there's anything in the base game to increase the timers based on distance.

In fact the distance alone is kinda baffling because six full dashes is around 90 tiles travelled, and the vanilla Guerilla Ops mission schedules are set to spawn you around 36 - 44 tiles away from the objective.

Yeah, IIRC the only 12 turn missions are Dark VIPs?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Is there a particular type of mod that would cause loss of FPS on the geoscape screen / slowdown transitions between facility screens / slow inventory switching, etc? Something is slowing me down but I'm not quite sure what.

I do have a conflict between a certain class mod and ammo/vest slots but I doubt that alone could do it?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Exposure posted:

Besides all the normal fun mods, I have one map pack but it shouldn't be doing this. I don't think I have the "extra mission type" mod either.

Light Gun Man posted:

Is there a particular type of mod that would cause loss of FPS on the geoscape screen / slowdown transitions between facility screens / slow inventory switching, etc? Something is slowing me down but I'm not quite sure what.

I do have a conflict between a certain class mod and ammo/vest slots but I doubt that alone could do it?

The game is terribly optimized and they're not going to be fixing it now.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Besides all the normal fun mods, I have one map pack but it shouldn't be doing this. I don't think I have the "extra mission type" mod either.

The game is terribly optimized and they're not going to be fixing it now.

Well my first game didn't have this issue, second game I changed/added more mods. I suppose I could figure it out by turning them off but I just figured I'd ask first.

Parenthesis
Jan 3, 2013

Light Gun Man posted:

Well my first game didn't have this issue, second game I changed/added more mods. I suppose I could figure it out by turning them off but I just figured I'd ask first.

I had something similar happen to me. I solved it by deleting all my configuration files and then verifying the cache.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

its more likely the map pack because i've never ever ever been that far from an objective. in the unmodded maps its rare that i can't get to an objective in two dashes with that bonus move speed from the gts.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Parenthesis posted:

I had something similar happen to me. I solved it by deleting all my configuration files and then verifying the cache.

Thanks. Did this and it didn't seem to change much, but I'm sure it's a good idea anyway.

Went ahead and figured it out the manual way and turns out it was indeed the ammo and vest slots conflict causing the problem, drat. Well at least my game runs better now. edit: Installing an alternate utility slots mod causes a different conflict, with a different mod, with the same slowdown results. How strange.

rabidsquid posted:

its more likely the map pack because i've never ever ever been that far from an objective. in the unmodded maps its rare that i can't get to an objective in two dashes with that bonus move speed from the gts.

I'm playing with several map packs this time and have had some pretty far away objectives but the countdowns have been fine thus far. Not playing on a hard mode though.

Also alternate answer: grapple more :getin:

Light Gun Man fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Sep 19, 2016

RubricMarine
Feb 14, 2012

I know about the way you can force a mission complete in XCOM 2, but can you in EW? I made it to the battleship mission in Slingshot in Long War, have trudged through like twenty-five+ aliens with lots of Mutons and a few Cyberdiscs, and the last room is filled with... two more Cyberdiscs, four Mutons, three Floaters, probably more. It would be manageable if they didn't all activate at the same time or I wasn't still on ballistics. I know that it's The Long War Experience (tm) but there's a certain point where I want to go back to cursing at bullshit Thin Men crits than the armada of Cyberdiscs and Mutons.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
You know. gently caress the cheating AI in this garbage game. Just lost my Ironman A-squad because I forgot that all enemy squads will zoom in on your position if you get close enough to the objective, regardless of whether or not you've broken stealth, and ended up getting ambushed by 5 packs.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

SweetBro posted:

You know. gently caress the cheating AI in this garbage game. Just lost my Ironman A-squad because I forgot that all enemy squads will zoom in on your position if you get close enough to the objective, regardless of whether or not you've broken stealth, and ended up getting ambushed by 5 packs.

Staying in stealth as long as possible is a terrible idea, it just opens you up to horrible cover geometry.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah, stealth is to get you a good first engagement. Ghosting is not a thing you can, or really should, be able to do.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

SweetBro posted:

That's not exactly right, but close enough. Explicitly, the AI draws a strait line between the median of your squad and the objective. They will then attempt to patrol across this line, like notches on a single-beam ladder. So, by getting close to the objective with concealment on, the pods will have to choice but to converge on the tiny area you've given them left on the map.

Other than being totally unstated on how the AI works (which is fine, yes?), this is a good mechanic. It explicitly forces the AI to not be stuck afk in a corner of the map to be hunted down, but rather plant themselves between you and the objective, effectively committing suicide by forcing you to ambush them. Win-win.

This isn't metal gear solid, use concealment to ambush a pod and then move on.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Serephina posted:

This isn't metal gear solid, use concealment to ambush a pod and then move on.

If you absolutely must use concealment to reach your objective point for some reason, it's better to park your squad as far from the objective as you can manage and then use one guy to reach the objective. This way the AI has more room to patrol because your median point is somewhere in the middle of the map and you can then avoid the enemy.

The only problem with this plan is that usually once you break concealment that one trooper is toast.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Kwyndig posted:

If you absolutely must use concealment to reach your objective point for some reason, it's better to park your squad as far from the objective as you can manage and then use one guy to reach the objective. This way the AI has more room to patrol because your median point is somewhere in the middle of the map and you can then avoid the enemy.

The only problem with this plan is that usually once you break concealment that one trooper is toast.

UNLESS that one trooper can re-enter concealment and then stay hidden forever while the rest of the crew endures shenanigans.

Which is probably still a bad idea but hilarious

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Yeah scouts designed on survival and concealment are insanely good at rush to objective missions. Though if he gets found in the middle of enemy area then he is pretty much dead. Scouts are annoying to train so they rarely join in on the fights unless you really need one alien dead right now and he is hiding next to him.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.

Serephina posted:

this is a good mechanic.

No it's not. If the purpose of it to avoid wasting time hunting the AI down then it should only affect units that have left concealment (which would actually loving make sense).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doobie Keebler
May 9, 2005

The way I see it, ADVENT knows where the objective is in the mission and no matter how stealthy you are they just saw the Skyranger blast overhead. They know the general area where you are and the game reflects that.