Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Sage Grimm posted:

Oh sorry, I'm was actually thrilled that trying to spell consumable nearly got a workable term. Sometimes I forget that sarcasm is the default expectation online.

I'm Jeffrey. Ask me about irony levels. (self.roguelikes)
postcommentreply

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

protomexican
May 1, 2009

Sage Grimm posted:

I like you're using the term comestible or "item of food" to describe potions (granted, they are drunk) and wands (uh). Rarely used word that was nearly applicable in this situation!

code:
This wand of acid tastes terrible!
Xom thinks this is hilarious!

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
If you're in this thread and you've never polymorphed into a rust monster and eaten a wand in nethack then you can just see yourself to the door right now.

Edit: casting stone-to-flesh on a marble wand and eating the resulting meat stick is also acceptable.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

:siren: DoomRL server update! :siren:

The way control configuration works has been overhauled; default keybinds have been moved into their own (read-only) file, and "config controls" now gets you a file that just contains overrides and high-level settings. The settings are documented in detail in the file, but as a quick overview they are:
- BindMovementToNumKeys: controls whether the server automatically maps the numbers to movement. This lets you use KP5 to rest but stops you from using the number keys for fast weapon switching. On by default.
- BindQuickKeysTo: automatically bind the weapon fast-switching keys to the number keys (vanilla DoomRL behaviour) or the F keys (the default if BindMovementToNumKeys is on).
- QuickKeysUseCategories: I'm actually really proud of this one: category-based fast weapon switching. Press F1 to cycle through all your melee weapons, F2 for pistols, F3 for shotguns, etc. Realize the full potential of Juggler without needing 50 lines of custom keybinds, or just enjoy never having to open your inventory to switch weapons.

Everyone has had their control settings migrated to the new format; people with custom keybinds had them preserved and will find them in "config controls" as usual.

The category-based weapon switching code is actually pretty nasty, but if anyone's curious about it, the source code is, as always, available on github. Feel free to use it in your local DoomRL installs, if you like. :)

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Sep 20, 2016

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Mzbundifund posted:

If you're in this thread and you've never polymorphed into a rust monster and eaten a wand in nethack then you can just see yourself to the door right now.

Edit: casting stone-to-flesh on a marble wand and eating the resulting meat stick is also acceptable.

i've never played nethack

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Bear with me I'm in a chatty mood this evening and I'm perusing the Infra Arcana changelog for no particular reason.

I remember Ultima Online and it's groundbreaking predecessors. The magic system in Ultima involved putting syllables of magic together into a nonsense psudo-latin word to create a magical effect.

For example the three syllable word "In Vas Por" (cause great movement) creates an earthquake. Contrast this with "In Vas Mani" (cause great healing) which heals the player.

Then I was thinking of the traditional scrolls in most roguelikes. Is there a roguelike that gives out syllables of power, one per scroll, and leaves it to the player to figure out the magical language? Sort of leading to a pokemon-esque catch and horde all the scrolls you can.

I'm thinking this would be tactical "do I save these on the off chance I get a Vas scroll to create a greater effect or do I use In Mani now to heal myself for a little?" but I'm sure there is a downside in "optimal gameplay" i'm not seeing.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

The biggest issue is the learning gap. You can't really make things like that consumables because that says to the player 'look, either you throw away several runs burning your resources to figure out this magic system, or you go look at a wiki', and that gap makes the system rather user-unfriendly.

You'd at least have to spell all that poo poo out ahead of time, probably with a list of known spells, to allow the player to manage their resources. And at that point it's probably kind of busywork once they start getting a lot of them.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

PleasingFungus posted:

you should try it once

just boot it up, drink from fountains, die to a water demon, get the whole intro experience

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
On the other hand it could be pretty simple to understand with the right or wrong lessons taken from the crafting systems of other genres. The first example (though not the best suited) example that comes to mind is Starbound's crafting of healing items. A more genre relevant example would be my hatred for SotS: the Pit's crafting knowledge unlock system, or the absurd amount of packrat behavior induced by Dredmor. Also keeping in mind inventory limits, you could have some design issues to work out.

Edit: or actually reading the question, I vaguely recall a 7day rl that may or may not exist. I'll poke around a bit, but there are way too many

LordSloth fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Sep 20, 2016

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

PleasingFungus posted:

Hey PF, you look nothing like your avatar, WTF???

PS Loved your talk, was very interesting and entertaining!

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Complete clusterfuck of the day: going to Containment Area and, in the ensuing game of rocket tag with three Barons of Hell, destroying the backpack.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

ToxicFrog posted:

Complete clusterfuck of the day: going to Containment Area and, in the ensuing game of rocket tag with three Barons of Hell, destroying the backpack.

God I hate it, that's why I don't go there if I can avoid it.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
Are there any videos of the recent talks floating around?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Angry Lobster posted:

God I hate it, that's why I don't go there if I can avoid it.

I almost always go to Containment Area because the backpack + missile launcher is just too drat tempting. It's definitely way worse than The Wall, though.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

ToxicFrog posted:

I almost always go to Containment Area because the backpack + missile launcher is just too drat tempting. It's definitely way worse than The Wall, though.

I actually kinda prefer the Containment Area to the Wall since you're generally fighting in tighter quarters than at the Wall, and you can use a phase device to nope out of the shitshow at the end and re-engage with a variety of cover to hide behind and maybe a choke point or two to utilize. It just seems to offer more tactical options and ways to get some breathing room (bring a phase device for sure though).

The Wall is just this huge open clusterfest of nonstop explosive hellfire from a giant swarm of beefy assholes unafraid to blow each other and themselves the gently caress up as they pour out of the breach like huge howling bees that spit fireballs. Trying to do it relatively safely seems to require a metric fuckton of ammo unless you're already some kind of nightmare death juggernaut who can just obliterate everything in a straight damage race. I die to the Wall vastly more often than the Containment Area.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Angry Diplomat posted:

I actually kinda prefer the Containment Area to the Wall since you're generally fighting in tighter quarters than at the Wall, and you can use a phase device to nope out of the shitshow at the end and re-engage with a variety of cover to hide behind and maybe a choke point or two to utilize. It just seems to offer more tactical options and ways to get some breathing room (bring a phase device for sure though).

The Wall is just this huge open clusterfest of nonstop explosive hellfire from a giant swarm of beefy assholes unafraid to blow each other and themselves the gently caress up as they pour out of the breach like huge howling bees that spit fireballs. Trying to do it relatively safely seems to require a metric fuckton of ammo unless you're already some kind of nightmare death juggernaut who can just obliterate everything in a straight damage race. I die to the Wall vastly more often than the Containment Area.

I basically never have a phase device on me, either I never found one, or I found one but dropped it to carry more medkits. Historically I've found they're just as likely to drop me right in the middle of a pack of enemies as they are to save me; medkits never let me down like that. So the Containment Area is just a complete clusterfuck of enemies teleporting in all around me and very little in the way of usable cover.

With The Wall I generally never have a problem, I blow a hole in the northern or southern edge of the wall and then just camp there picking off the enemies with shotgun blasts or rockets as they come out. If they get shy I poke my head in and wildly fire a few shotgun blasts into the distance to get their attention, then retreat.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Played a 4 hour game of Toejam & Earl with my sister in law. She really liked the game even though she's not such a gamey person usually. She accidentally found out that there's a second secret island on level 1 which I had no idea about (she used the telephone gift by mistake and it turned up some hidden squares on the map), if you go east northeast of the main island there's another little island with presents on it.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

ToxicFrog posted:

:siren: DoomRL server update! :siren:

The way control configuration works has been overhauled; default keybinds have been moved into their own (read-only) file, and "config controls" now gets you a file that just contains overrides and high-level settings. The settings are documented in detail in the file, but as a quick overview they are:
- BindMovementToNumKeys: controls whether the server automatically maps the numbers to movement. This lets you use KP5 to rest but stops you from using the number keys for fast weapon switching. On by default.
- BindQuickKeysTo: automatically bind the weapon fast-switching keys to the number keys (vanilla DoomRL behaviour) or the F keys (the default if BindMovementToNumKeys is on).
- QuickKeysUseCategories: I'm actually really proud of this one: category-based fast weapon switching. Press F1 to cycle through all your melee weapons, F2 for pistols, F3 for shotguns, etc. Realize the full potential of Juggler without needing 50 lines of custom keybinds, or just enjoy never having to open your inventory to switch weapons.

Everyone has had their control settings migrated to the new format; people with custom keybinds had them preserved and will find them in "config controls" as usual.

The category-based weapon switching code is actually pretty nasty, but if anyone's curious about it, the source code is, as always, available on github. Feel free to use it in your local DoomRL installs, if you like. :)

How do you login on this? I keep trying to figure something out but nothing.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
A band of rogues from the Roguelike Celebration.

Yanked from Kyzrati's blog: http://www.gridsagegames.com/blog/2016/09/roguelike-celebration-2016-experience/

e: I don't know everyone's name, but here's off the top of my head:

Row 1
Tyriq Plummer (Catacomb Kids)
Thomas Biskup (ADOM)
Glenn R Wichman (Rogue)
Jim Shepard (Dungeomans) [madjackmcmad]
???
Drew Streib (nethack.alt.org)
Gabriel Santos (Stone Story)
Alexei Pepers (Accessibility in Nethack researcH)
Tarn Adams (Dwarf Fortress)
Zach Adams (Dwarf Fortress)
Brian Bucklew (Caves of Qud/Sproggiwood) [me]
John Harris (@Play)

Row 2
Brian Walker (Brogue)
Erik Osheim (Angband)
Ken Arnold (Rogue)
Britta Gustafson (Organizer and one of the lightning talks)
Jason Grinblat (Caves of Qud/Sproggiwood) [handofluke]
Nicholas Feinberg (DCSS) [PleasingFungus]
Noah Swartz (Celebration Organizer)
Josh Ge (Cogmind) [kyzrati]

Unormal fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Sep 21, 2016

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
lol way to doxx the thread!!!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Helical Nightmares posted:

Then I was thinking of the traditional scrolls in most roguelikes. Is there a roguelike that gives out syllables of power, one per scroll, and leaves it to the player to figure out the magical language? Sort of leading to a pokemon-esque catch and horde all the scrolls you can.

I'm thinking this would be tactical "do I save these on the off chance I get a Vas scroll to create a greater effect or do I use In Mani now to heal myself for a little?" but I'm sure there is a downside in "optimal gameplay" i'm not seeing.
You can dodge the Wiki problem by making the syllables randomized per game, but then you would have to blow a disproportionately large number of consumables before you actually could usefully combo for the first time, I think. The baseline assumption there is that not every two-word combo is relevant, so you have to hoard singles until you get a pair that combine well with each other - and, depending on system, be aware that they could do so if the possible combinations aren't spelled out once you know what some given words do.

It isn't an unappealing idea, I just worry it would create too much busywork.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

ChaseSP posted:

How do you login on this? I keep trying to figure something out but nothing.

Where are you having problems?

If you're having trouble figuring out how to connect in the first place, you need a telnet client. If one's already installed, you may be able to launch it just by clicking on the "connect to phobos.ancilla.ca:3666" link on the server website; if that doesn't work, you'll need to run it and enter the server name (phobos.ancilla.ca) and port (3666) manually. If you don't even have one installed, how to fix that varies by OS; on Linux you can probably just tell your package manager to install "telnet".

If you have a telnet client but it's timing out, I was doing some network maintenance a few days ago and hosed things up. Try it again now.

If you're getting connected but don't have an account, "register <name> <pass>" to create one. And if you already have an account, "login <name> <pass>" to log in.

Once you're logged in, use the 'config' command to edit your settings and 'play' to start or resume a game.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Sep 20, 2016

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Unormal posted:

Yanked from Kyzrati's blog: http://www.gridsagegames.com/blog/2016/09/roguelike-celebration-2016-experience/

These nerds have created programs that I've spent too many hours of my life in, and I thank you all for it.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

ToxicFrog posted:

Where are you having problems?

If you're having trouble figuring out how to connect in the first place, you need a telnet client. If one's already installed, you may be able to launch it just by clicking on the "connect to phobos.ancilla.ca:3666" link on the server website; if that doesn't work, you'll need to run it and enter the server name (phobos.ancilla.ca) and port (3666) manually. If you don't even have one installed, how to fix that varies by OS; on Linux you can probably just tell your package manager to install "telnet".

If you have a telnet client but it's timing out, I was doing some network maintenance a few days ago and hosed things up. Try it again now.

If you're getting connected but don't have an account, "register <name> <pass>" to create one. And if you already have an account, "login <name> <pass>" to log in.

Once you're logged in, use the 'config' command to edit your settings and 'play' to start or resume a game.

It goes immediately to log in whenever I join, might be my settings I'll check them out

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

spider wisdom posted:

They're uploaded here.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

PleasingFungus posted:

that's ok, it's bad

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

ChaseSP posted:

It goes immediately to log in whenever I join, might be my settings I'll check them out

Yeah, when you connect you should see a big "DOOM" banner, followed by:

pre:
Type "help" for a list of commands.

guest>
If you're not seeing that, your client is probably expecting a login(1) style prompt (wants username and password on separate lines) and trying to automatically send what it expects, rather than just connecting you to the shell and getting out of the way.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

IronicDongz posted:

that's ok, it's bad

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

lol way to doxx the thread!!!
I had to put my name and face behind the Kickstarter in 2013, which was weird at first but not so much now. I still like my handle, and use it when gaming, but I've gotten used to having my name and face be part of the press package.

Stelas posted:

The biggest issue is the learning gap. You can't really make things like that consumables because that says to the player 'look, either you throw away several runs burning your resources to figure out this magic system, or you go look at a wiki', and that gap makes the system rather user-unfriendly.

You'd at least have to spell all that poo poo out ahead of time, probably with a list of known spells, to allow the player to manage their resources. And at that point it's probably kind of busywork once they start getting a lot of them.
I wanted Dungeonmans to have a sort of rune magic system as one of the Academy progressions. You find randomized runes, learn what they do, and when you take them back to the Academy every future mans can use them. Even your Fightermans could have access to rune magic if he was willing to spend the resources. You'd have to stock up on ammo (blank runes) and then just have the combo you wanted hotkeyed somewhere to cast it, easy peasy. They would certainly be special effects.
If you're thinking this sounds a lot like Skyrim's dragon shouts you're right:

The amount of UI overhaul required to do that made me want to feed myself to a snapping turtle, so it's on hold for now.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

Helical Nightmares posted:

Bear with me I'm in a chatty mood this evening and I'm perusing the Infra Arcana changelog for no particular reason.

I remember Ultima Online and it's groundbreaking predecessors. The magic system in Ultima involved putting syllables of magic together into a nonsense psudo-latin word to create a magical effect.

For example the three syllable word "In Vas Por" (cause great movement) creates an earthquake. Contrast this with "In Vas Mani" (cause great healing) which heals the player.

I remember someone brought up an idea like this a while ago. Someone mentioned Mage Guild, a game that seems to have been built along a similar line of thought. Linked site there is down but you can find a couple of uploaded versions if you poke around.

Also there was another flash game (dunno if it was a roguelike or not) about a wizard brought up, but the name escapes me.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Unormal posted:

The woman in the front row was another of the organizers, Britta Gustafson, I think. She had a good lightning talk talking about her first encounter with the command line/vim: "oh, this is easy, it's just like Nethack!"

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

PleasingFungus posted:

The woman in the front row was another of the organizers, Britta Gustafson, I think. She had a good lightning talk talking about her first encounter with the command line/vim: "oh, this is easy, it's just like Nethack!"

Ah yeah! Knew she was an organizer but couldn't remember the name,.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

spider wisdom posted:

They're all up in the Twitch archive. This Reddit thread has convenient time-stamp links for all the individual talks if you don't feel like watching two 8 hour streams all in one go.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

PleasingFungus posted:

You should, it's hugely significant to the genre and has had a lot of influence on tons of other roguelikes. It still stands supreme in terms of offering a sort of simulationist dungeon crawl where you can do pretty much anything you can think of with any item and get a unique effect or event as a result. Whether you actually like that kind of experience, I don't know, but I think it's worth trying, especially given it's significance.

I think this article from John Harris gives a good summary of the Nethack fan's point of view, as well as some examples of the weird things that result from Nethack's crazy item interactions: http://www.gamesetwatch.com/2007/09/column_play_balancing_a_game_t.php

I recommend trying Pathos: Nethack Codex too, it's based on Nethack but the interface is far easier to cope with. It works really well on tablets/phones too.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

"Why don't I give the DoomRL server an in-browser telnet client", I said.

Because it's a gigantic pain in the rear end, apparently. :suicide:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

There's a game called Runestone Keeper on Humble Bundle for just 1$.
It's kinda an interesting mix between something like Pixel Dungeon and Minesweeper. Definitely worth at least taking a look at.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

thorsilver posted:

I think this article from John Harris gives a good summary of the Nethack fan's point of view, as well as some examples of the weird things that result from Nethack's crazy item interactions: http://www.gamesetwatch.com/2007/09/column_play_balancing_a_game_t.php

quote:

Nethack's deeper features tend to be extensions and elaborations of Rogue's: its identification game, its objects with heavily programmed functions, and the secret uses of many items. And these are the things that roguelike fans who don't like Nethack disapprove of. I maintain this is because they've been trained to enjoy "mainstream" gaming first, which tends to be devoid of real strategy, values providing the player with an "experience" more than being a game that can be lost, and are forgiving to the point where he can't really ever die: he can always return to a previous save, after all.
:jerkbag:

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

ToxicFrog posted:

Yeah, when you connect you should see a big "DOOM" banner, followed by:

pre:
Type "help" for a list of commands.

guest>
If you're not seeing that, your client is probably expecting a login(1) style prompt (wants username and password on separate lines) and trying to automatically send what it expects, rather than just connecting you to the shell and getting out of the way.

Using a fresh download of putty so dunno why this is happening. Any suggestions?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Sounds like he's confusing knowledge with skill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyzrati
Jun 27, 2015

MAIN.C
Roguelike Celebration was a blast, and I finally got to meet unormal, madjackmcmad, handofluke, and PleasingFungus in person. 10/10 would fly across an ocean again.