Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

A little reminder:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

meduza.io has some really wacky stories up rn. Is it Russian April 1st or something?

quote:

Burger King in Russia announces new meals inspired by the artist who nailed his scrotum to Red Square
Meduza
15:08, 29 august 2016

In honor of its sixth year anniversary in Russia, the fast food chain Burger King is releasing a limited-edition series of “Pavlensky burgers,” inspired by the actionist artist Petr Pavlensky, whose various political stunts have included sewing his mouth shut, nailing his scrotum to Red Square, and more. The burgers will only be available in St. Petersburg.

https://meduza.io/en/lion/2016/08/29/burger-king-in-russia-announces-new-meals-inspired-by-the-artist-who-nailed-his-scrotum-to-red-square

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

A little reminder:

What are these percentages of?

Edit: oh, percentages of worldwide average. Reading hard :downs:

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

No, it is real, the PR company working for Burger King in Russia loves dumb and provocative marketing.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
They also did this:

At first I thought it was some sort of Russia stronk thing but it's just a world of tanks tie-in.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Darth Walrus posted:

A little reminder:

Ah, :finland:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

mobby_6kl posted:

At first I thought it was some sort of Russia stronk thing but it's just a world of tanks tie-in.

Those are very much not mutually exclusive.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Who wants some nuts?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

RT and Sputnik are now reporting on the "Anti-Bellingcat" report some anonymous Russian bloggers put together which is full of errors and conspiracy theories. Here's a little response from us

https://twitter.com/bellingcat/status/776705824303570945

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Brown Moses posted:

RT and Sputnik are now reporting on the "Anti-Bellingcat" report some anonymous Russian bloggers put together which is full of errors and conspiracy theories. Here's a little response from us

https://twitter.com/bellingcat/status/776705824303570945

Isn't Stratfor also one of those private intelligence industry companies like Jane's Defence? Like the way you can access their top secret confidential intelligence briefs is by having a subscription?

RT's basically the whole bullshit you hear from a channer or a redditor whenever Lowtax puts up a paywall on a thread or forum. Just because you have to pay :10bux: for Dangaronpa LPs doesn't mean it's not publicly available.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Young Freud posted:

Isn't Stratfor also one of those private intelligence industry companies like Jane's Defence? Like the way you can access their top secret confidential intelligence briefs is by having a subscription?

RT's basically the whole bullshit you hear from a channer or a redditor whenever Lowtax puts up a paywall on a thread or forum. Just because you have to pay :10bux: for Dangaronpa LPs doesn't mean it's not publicly available.

Yeah, the "anonymous Russian bloggers" also claim you can't find the image used by Stratfor and Bellingcat on the Digital Globe catalogue search, and come up with this whole conspiracy theory about it. Thing is, you can, they just suck at using the search function. The report is long and full of errors like that, so we won't bother replying to the report, but if RT are dumb enough to quote it then I'm happy to take the piss out of them for it.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Oh man, BM, I know you retweeted this but this has to be shared...
https://twitter.com/lennutrajektoor/status/776713637847265280

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

They also claim the smoke photos are fake because the colour is different:

Problem is, the original uploader said he lightened the image to make the smoke clearer, and the photographer uploaded the original unedited version:

And they also claim the cables vanishing are evidence it was evidence, even though it's because the photographer zoomed under the cables. The whole thing is laughable, and anyone familiar with the back and forth on MH17 would be aware of all these claims already as they were debunked months ago.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Jesus, is it still going on, after dozen official reports, what is there left to talk about.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

steinrokkan posted:

Jesus, is it still going on, after dozen official reports, what is there left to talk about.

It's because the criminal investigation team (JIT) is giving a press conference on Sept 28th, so Russia is making GBS threads itself and has started on the push back this week. Seems most of it's about going after Bellingcat at the moment.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
it's still gone.

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012
A reminder that Finns are Slavs after all.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Pizdec posted:

A reminder that Finns are Slavs after all.

Finns are 90% Mongols and Mongols are the ancestors of Native Americans/Puerto Ricans

checks out

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Here's the spin the Russian media is putting on the JIT press conference:

https://twitter.com/mh17research/status/777453228871053312

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

"The Dutch used Bellingcat research for their report, therefore it is flawed and you can forget about it weeks before it's even released to the public." That's the jist I got from listening to the Russian voice over.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

With all votes counted, in a surprising turn of events United Russia takes 37.7%, Communists - 13.93%, LDPR - 13.11%, Apple - 9.51%, and Rightful Russia - 6.55% of votes of the 2016 Gosduma elections. Election attendance in Moscow was 35.22%.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

With all votes counted, in a surprising turn of events United Russia takes 37.7%, Communists - 13.93%, LDPR - 13.11%, Apple - 9.51%, and Rightful Russia - 6.55% of votes of the 2016 Gosduma elections. Election attendance in Moscow was 35.22%.

All the votes and more, comrade!

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Some election grahs, courtesy of The Insider.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I think those vote numbers might be for Moscow only; Yabloko/Apple got <2% overall.

Also tons of videos of blatant ballot stuffing around.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

These transparent plexiglass ballot boxes are the dumbest thing I've seen in a long time. You can clearly see the ballot and who people voted for inside those things.

They would make a tiny bit of sense if people at least put their ballots into an envelope before they throw them in there.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

OddObserver posted:

I think those vote numbers might be for Moscow only; Yabloko/Apple got <2% overall.

Also tons of videos of blatant ballot stuffing around.
My bad, whatever it was it certainly wasn't the entire Russia.

Actual numbers: with 99.42% votes counted, United Russia has 54.18%, CPRF has 13.35%, LDPR has 13.16%, and A Just Russia has 6.21%. Overall attendance was 47.77%. Final and official results will be presented this Friday.

And yeah, like every other Russian election, it was poo poo show all around, with people dumping wads of ballots into the boxes and whatnot. As usual, no real repercussions, beyond Nizhniy Novgorod (video with an election committee member below) and, surprise surprise, a journalist getting poo poo for looking into paid voting scheme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EsUxmXqVh4&hd=1

Edit:

waitwhatno posted:

These transparent plexiglass ballot boxes are the dumbest thing I've seen in a long time. You can clearly see the ballot and who people voted for inside those things.

They would make a tiny bit of sense if people at least put their ballots into an envelope before they throw them in there.
We do that in Latvia if I remember correctly, transparent box so you can see any tampering with contents, and ballots in envelopes.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Sep 19, 2016

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
It's especially funny considering that Putin himself pushed for installing those webcams.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

We do that in Latvia if I remember correctly, transparent box so you can see any tampering with contents, and ballots in envelopes.

Of course, showing that the box starts off empty in the morning isn't of much value when they just throw in a whole pack of ballots during the day, anyway.

Actually, I am kind of bothered by lack of proper privacy envelopes here in MA, USA, as you pretty much carry the filled in ballot around w/o privacy protection. Where I lived earlier, they had a little folder to carry it in before putting it into the scanner machine.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Paladinus posted:

It's especially funny considering that Putin himself pushed for installing those webcams.

Well yeah, gotta make sure the election-tampering-with process isn't tampered with.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
We have transparent ballot boxes in France too, the ballot themselves are in envelopes though.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Huh, Putin just fired 163 thousand people from interior ministry, and Russian finance ministry is looking into implementing higher, and more uniform, taxation.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
In Finland no envelope (wouldn't that make it harder to make sure there's only one ballot?) but the ballot is folded from the middle, then before you slip it in it has to be stamped on the outside by an official.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Russian finance ministry is looking into implementing higher, and more uniforms

my first reading of this
"Vova, I know what would improve tax payer's morale - flashier uniforms for tax officials!" :v:

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Sep 20, 2016

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

I guess this is Putin's way of looking for change amidst the cushions

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Forums Terrorist posted:

I guess this is Putin's way of looking for change amidst the cushions
Might be looking into padding economy stats before the upcoming election.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Nenonen posted:

In Finland no envelope (wouldn't that make it harder to make sure there's only one ballot?)

You just need some simple rules.

Ballot outside of envelope: blank, doesn't count
Ballot with scribbling or defacement: blank, doesn't count
Envelope with more than one ballot: blank, doesn't count
Envelope with less than one ballot: blank, doesn't count

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Trump has found another friend among Eastern European heads of state, this time it's a professional troll, Miloš Zeman of the Czech Republic.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-09-20/trump-wins-another-endorsement-from-ex-communist-eu-leader

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Huh, Putin just fired 163 thousand people from interior ministry, and Russian finance ministry is looking into implementing higher, and more uniform, taxation.

Apparently a lot are being re-hired into the National Guard though: https://meduza.io/en/news/2016/09/20/163-000-laid-off-police-officers-to-serve-in-russia-s-national-guard

Shuffling the deck OMONs or smth.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

NAT-T Ice posted:

Apparently a lot are being re-hired into the National Guard though: https://meduza.io/en/news/2016/09/20/163-000-laid-off-police-officers-to-serve-in-russia-s-national-guard

Oh, so he's just getting himself a larger private army.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

steinrokkan posted:

Trump has found another friend among Eastern European heads of state, this time it's a professional troll, Miloš Zeman of the Czech Republic.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-09-20/trump-wins-another-endorsement-from-ex-communist-eu-leader
Why am I not surprised :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

NAT-T Ice posted:

OMON and other such Gendarmerie forces depend from the Ministry of the Interior. The new National Guard reports directly to the president and are slated to take the lead in a lot of internal law enforcement roles. Its a blatant power concentration move.