Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

Ask me about delicious soy products.

BrianBoitano posted:

Create another PTC account and switch to it to capture bubble strat pokes (the defenders) you see on your main account. Get a couple Horsea or the like but still use your main account to do the training up.

Tah-dah. You can benefit from your own bubble strat training by having a real spot in the gym.

I respect that, it's clever. But I'd rather play the game entirely with one account. I can't really explain why, it's just the irrational idea that my account represents me, and if I split into multiple accounts it'd break my... immersion? Maybe you can understand what I'm getting at there.

It's the same reason I don't GPS spoof, really.

Also BrianBoitano, I noticed your spreadsheet disagrees on some points with Kukui's sheet. For example, it doesn't rate Dragon Breath/Dragon Claw as the best offensive moveset for dragonite, but your sheet does. Did you base your numbers off of Qmike's sheet (which agrees with you)? If so I'm kind of curious why you picked one over the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Afgad posted:

Also BrianBoitano, I noticed your spreadsheet disagrees on some points with Kukui's sheet. For example, it doesn't rate Dragon Breath/Dragon Claw as the best offensive moveset for dragonite, but your sheet does. Did you base your numbers off of Qmike's sheet (which agrees with you)? If so I'm kind of curious why you picked one over the other.

Can you show me where you see Qmike's sheet showing that? I can only find his calculator sheet, which requires you to put in your own pokemon to compare them.

Qmike includes two factors mine doesn't: level difference between you and your opponent, and the amount of charge you gain by being hit by your opponent. I don't think either of these would account for the moveset difference you're asking about.

I don't have plans to include the amount of charge you gain by being hit, since I want my sheet to be as accurate as possible without needing to customize it for every matchup you face.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
The Go Plus is frustrating. I left for work with 101 regular Pokeballs. By the time I got to work, after hitting the button every time it turned green or blue, I was at 48 Pokeballs, and about 20-30 catches. Which sounds like a decent enough catch rate, but it also burned through all the Pokestop Pokeballs, so it used more than 53 to get those. And most of what it caught were the usual pidgeys, rattatas, and bugs. One Jigglypuff and a handful of plants. It did hatch a few eggs at least.

My wish list for this would be an option to ignore specific Pokemon (maybe a checkbox on their Pokedex entry) so I can claim a Pokestop on a drive by if there happens to be a Pidgey sitting on it at the time, and save the balls for stuff I actually need. And an option to use berries and better Pokeballs - maybe break it down so you can pick for easy, medium, and hard catches so it doesn't waste all your good balls on low CP stuff, but might actually catch that Venusaur that you drove past (which got away from me yesterday).

It also seemed to have some issues with Pokestop detection, but judging from what I saw when I turned the phone on, I think the GPS was lagging a bit behind at times. I also got two "0 items recieved from Pokestop" yesterday, which was weird. I think that's probably an issue getting data off the server, once in a while I'll spin one manually and nothing happens.

It's got potential, but it's definitely limited at the moment. Maybe they'll actually produce these things in quantity and there'll be enough of a demand to add features. Otherwise, I feel like the watch functions are going to get all the developer time.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Afgad posted:

I respect that, it's clever. But I'd rather play the game entirely with one account. I can't really explain why, it's just the irrational idea that my account represents me, and if I split into multiple accounts it'd break my... immersion? Maybe you can understand what I'm getting at there.

Yeah, I split my account into Horcruxes recently and while being immortal feels great it makes gyms a little too easy. I can upload a spreadsheet guide if anyone's interested.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

Thread title request.

Pokemon Go:

Mr. Jive posted:

I can upload a spreadsheet guide if anyone's interested.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

TVs Ian posted:

Otherwise, I feel like the watch functions are going to get all the developer time.
That's it right there, the Plus was probably DOA as soon as they got deals to make apps for smartwatches. It's a shame but blame yourself or The Market.

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

Ask me about delicious soy products.

BrianBoitano posted:

Can you show me where you see Qmike's sheet showing that? I can only find his calculator sheet, which requires you to put in your own pokemon to compare them.

Qmike includes two factors mine doesn't: level difference between you and your opponent, and the amount of charge you gain by being hit by your opponent. I don't think either of these would account for the moveset difference you're asking about.

I don't have plans to include the amount of charge you gain by being hit, since I want my sheet to be as accurate as possible without needing to customize it for every matchup you face.

I lost the original copy, but feel free to use my copy that I made today. Go to the Results_Simple or Results tabs and compare TDO and def_TDO (TDO = total damage output and includes tankiness).

As you can see from the image below, your "untyped" percent agrees with Qmike's untyped dueling scores, but not Kukui's. Kukui thinks Dragon Breath + Claw is the inferior move. Both you and Qmike put its percent as the higher offensive move.

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

Is there any reason gyms would just cease to exist? There were two instinct gyms near where I lived and both of them just dissapeared yesterday. They were in an apartment complex.

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug
Me: i'll stop putting 2km eggs in blue incubators to save coins

Game:

:shepface:

Yukari posted:

Is there any reason gyms would just cease to exist? There were two instinct gyms near where I lived and both of them just dissapeared yesterday. They were in an apartment complex.

The residents could've asked them to be removed because they hate fun to cut down on people loitering.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

I get hella 5k eggs, I would gladly trade for 9 2k eggs. They're like dollar scratchers. Sure it's overwhelmingly a bust but they're so much more instantly gratifying than anything else in the game, and if it's a good hatch it feels like you're winning the game (90% bulbasaur last night, still no good iv Pikachu :argh:).

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

The Nastier Nate posted:

Another feature that rewards heavily dense urban areas...you know the places where you already should have a constantly full bag all the time.
I would have to drive for miles to hit 10 unique stops in 30 minutes in the burbs. In center city I can walk that in 10 minutes easily.

What a reward for us! Spin 10 Pokestops get the 11th free! Oh happy days! This certainly makes the game so much better.

Seriously, it 50 extra XP and 3 more items. Get over it.

If you have to go out of your way to spin 10 Pokestops, you are better off just going to a closer one and getting the XP/Items faster.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Jonesy posted:

I get hella 5k eggs, I would gladly trade for 9 2k eggs. They're like dollar scratchers. Sure it's overwhelmingly a bust but they're so much more instantly gratifying than anything else in the game, and if it's a good hatch it feels like you're winning the game (90% bulbasaur last night, still no good iv Pikachu :argh:).

I hear ya. I have had 3 2k in the last month. All weedle. I just want a charmander to bump my candy a little. No 10k. At least 40 5k. No Grimer and that's the one I need there. gently caress this RNG.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Training gyms is really stupid hard unless I'm missing something obvious. All the yellow gyms near me will be filled with 4 or 5 1700+ CP Pokemons, I can attack it with one of my stronger pokes and maybe take one down, but then gym respect only goes up about about 100 points. I need to do that another 14-15 times to open up enough room to add myself, and that seems like a huge waste of revives & potions. If there isn't already a slot available I don't even bother.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Hobo Clown posted:

Training gyms is really stupid hard unless I'm missing something obvious. All the yellow gyms near me will be filled with 4 or 5 1700+ CP Pokemons, I can attack it with one of my stronger pokes and maybe take one down, but then gym respect only goes up about about 100 points. I need to do that another 14-15 times to open up enough room to add myself, and that seems like a huge waste of revives & potions. If there isn't already a slot available I don't even bother.

Fight the lowest Pokemon in the gym with a Pokemon that's a little below its CP (ie gym Pokemon is 1,700, fight it with a 1,500) and the prestige should be much better.(500 or so). If you can take out the second Pokemon with that one as well then you're looking at 1,000 prestige a pop.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

Fusion Restaurant posted:

Have others tried using the pogo+ to take advantage of GPS drift? Usually I get a few kms at work if I leave the app open, but leaving it running in the background paired with the pogo+ didn't seem to give me as much.

OK trying to disassemble myself is crazy annoying. Tried the soldering method suggested in the guy who DIY'd its post for the first screw, but for the two near the actual components I think I would just break everything with my subpar soldering skills - I basically melted off the tip. Thankfully, the tip is totally decorative with no actual components, so everything still works. Just gotta wait for a special screwdriver bit so I can open it up.

In the meantime, I made some circuit diagrams of what I think things should look like. It seems like I can just connect the LED or vibration bit directly to a digital pin, since all the pogo is powered with is a 3 volt watch battery.

I think I have a working circuit for the transistor stuff, having only blown up 1 transistor in the process. Basically it is this circuit minus the red wire between the emitter and the 5V, whose only purpose appeared to be destroying my transistor:

Luckily I have a bunch more transistors to sacrifice to the fires of my EE incompetence -- I definitely avoided learning anything about how this stuff actually works by relying so heavily on tutorials/guides.

Someone also suggested an interesting optocoupler circuit, so I'm going to try that as well. Apparently optocouplers are good for not accidentally shorting stuff out? I feel like it's probably overkill given that the pogo+ isn't really sending any more energy around than the Arduino is used to, but if there's one thing I've learned so far it's that I'm wrong a lot.

Cool post. I'm getting an extra one in the mail this week, so if I have the time I may play around with it. Once you're solid on a resolution, I'd love an update.

jeef
Jun 1, 2004

Hobo Clown posted:

Part of the problem is there are a lot of dickweeds out there that think it's perfectly OK to put a 1000cp Snorlax on, rendering the gym untrainable. I just pretty much ignore training up friendly gyms and take out enemy gyms and train them up until a teammate comes by and ruins it for everyone.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Arkanomen posted:

Optocouplers are basically an LED and a photodetector in a can. You would take both leads from the PLUS led and attach them to one side of the coupler (+ and - on the matching opto pins). You would then attach both of the button leads to the other side of the coupler.

You should not need any other equipment as the circuitry in the Go+ should support the opto coupler (as the coupler is basically just an LED and a switch)

Buy this chip.

http://www.mouser.com/Search/m_Prod...CFYJpfgodg8MNxg

Wire and you are done, possibly. Shooting from the hip here, but just a straight isolator should work without resorting to any fancy transistor bs.

:patriot:

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Afgad posted:

Guys I just evolved my buddy Jigglypuff: If you evolve via the buddy screen and NOT your bag, you keep all of your buddy miles! My Wigglytuff is showing 75.2km on it. It didn't even erase my in-progress bar.

Holy poo poo. Thanks for this info. Super awesome!

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Astro7x posted:

What a reward for us! Spin 10 Pokestops get the 11th free! Oh happy days! This certainly makes the game so much better.

Seriously, it 50 extra XP and 3 more items. Get over it.

If you have to go out of your way to spin 10 Pokestops, you are better off just going to a closer one and getting the XP/Items faster.

Where do you live again?

It's not just 50 xp and 3 more items, it's that plus the hundreds of other Pokestops. The left is the suburban office I work in, the right is where my wife works in center city Philadelphia. My location is actually pretty good because I live in a pretty dense suburb.
The only nice thing about being in the burbs or rural areas is that it's far easier to hold gyms for a few days, but setting that up drains your potions and replenishing them in the burbs takes forever.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I am so glad they have a bonus for the suffering people in city centers.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Hobo Clown posted:

The trick is to find an attacker that's half the CP of the first pokemon guarding the gym. For example, if there's a 1500 Flareon and you have a 740 Vaporeon. Beat up the first pokemon, get 1000 prestige from a single fight, then suicide your pokemon against the 2nd defender so you can use a revive to heal half of your Vaporeon's HP.

Edit:

I know Chanseys are super rare, but if you can get one with Pound/Hyperbeam it's the best gym trainer in the game. It can easily take out any pokemon double its CP, it has no weak matchups (since it's a normal pokemon with normal moves) so you can use it against anything.

Dahbadu fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Sep 20, 2016

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

jeef posted:

Part of the problem is there are a lot of dickweeds out there that think it's perfectly OK to put a 1000cp Snorlax on, rendering the gym untrainable. I just pretty much ignore training up friendly gyms and take out enemy gyms and train them up until a teammate comes by and ruins it for everyone.

I'm glad people are starting to realize that putting low CP pokemon in friendly gyms is a really lovely strategy. Several weeks ago I was warning people to not do that, and I'm glad it's catching on. I think it's become more obvious now that people are higher level.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

RE Pokemon GO Plus: It's been a game changer for lure parties. When there's several+ 'stops lured in close proximity, and I'm walking a circuit between them, I never had enough time to catch all the trash. I was forced into a situation where I was ignoring half of the pokemon while walking around. Now I just press a button and chances are I'll catch that Vernonat or whatever.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Dahbadu posted:

I'm glad people are starting to realize that putting low CP pokemon in friendly gyms is a really lovely strategy. Several weeks ago I was warning people to not do that, and I'm glad it's catching on. I think it's become more obvious now that people are higher level.

You completely missed the point here. Snorlax is a normal Pokemon which means it's only weakness is Fighting. It also has a lot of health. Both those factors make it miserable to train against for most players.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Mierenneuker posted:

You completely missed the point here. Snorlax is a normal Pokemon which means it's only weakness is Fighting. It also has a lot of health. Both those factors make it miserable to train against for most players.

Yeah, a low level Snorlax is a pretty annoying troll. Same with a Wiggly, or worse, a Chansey.

Fozzie Bear
Jun 4, 2000

Rockin' out at the god damn bank
I was in the Toronto airport last week, there was one gym, and I had 3 hours, so I whittled it down, then put in my 13 CP squirtle.... It was awesome to actually hear people laugh out loud about it.

One thing that would be good to see is gyms getting weaker over time, say for every 24 hours your pokemon is in, it loses 10% of it's hp's or something. I know it's probably not a big deal in busier areas, but there are several gyms in my neighbourhood that are level 10 with the lowest pokemon being 1800+ CP... it really sucks for lower level players like my kids and I, we really don't even bother fighting gyms because they are just too tough for us.

Frown Town
Sep 10, 2009

does not even lift
SWAG SWAG SWAG YOLO
Hit 25 last night. Got some awesome stuff, like another incubator, lucky egg, max potions, etc... now there's nothing left to look forward to except the barren wasteland of endgame content. :smith:

and catching farfetch'd on my asia trip, yeah.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
level 30 will have similar rewards... and THEN it's a barren wasteland.

Frown Town
Sep 10, 2009

does not even lift
SWAG SWAG SWAG YOLO
god, the grind from 25 to 30 and beyond....
I think I'm experiencing an existential crisis. This is a lot of time and energy for digital content... On the plus side, getting a lot of sunshine, meeting randos, and dropped ~5 lbs??

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug
Is it just me or have revives gotten rarer? I'm swimming in Pokéballs, berries, and potions, but barely keeping above 30 revives, even though I fight only one or two gyms a day. I can remember deleting them for bag space a while back, but now I rarely see them.

If it's feasible, I'm gonna start swapping out my Pokémon mid-combat and use my 200+ hyper potions for healing instead of my revives.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
So what's the ideal cp range for training? Just below the defenders cp, or the lower the better? (Obviously still being able to win with type advantages).

I beat down a yellow gym today with a 2200 dragonite with dragon pulse at the top. My 1150 Dewgong took it to the cleaners twice before the gym died. Blizzard FTW.

e: I got 3 revives from a stop yesterday, I think it's just you. :v:

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

kuroiXiru posted:

Is it just me or have revives gotten rarer? I'm swimming in Pokéballs, berries, and potions, but barely keeping above 30 revives, even though I fight only one or two gyms a day. I can remember deleting them for bag space a while back, but now I rarely see them.

If it's feasible, I'm gonna start swapping out my Pokémon mid-combat and use my 200+ hyper potions for healing instead of my revives.

I'm going to get my best :tinfoil: out for this one, but...

I think Niantic has a target # of each item it wants you to have, or at least a target proportion of your bag. I constantly throw away normal potions and normal balls, on the order of 40 pokeballs a day and 20 potions. Yet it seems that the only time I actually get great balls or higher potions is just after using them, like Niantic wants to help me stock up.

I also wasted ~25 Great Balls on a very high level Golbat the other day, pretending it was a legendary bird. I figured I should practice hitting "Great!" curve balls on a far-away mon. Wouldn't you know it, stops decided to give me lots of Great balls, and a day later I was back to my usual proportion of balls.

Will somebody help me confirmation bias the poo poo out of this? Here are my numbers and proportions:

15 Hyper Potions (~4% of my bag)
96 Max Potions (I never use them, most of these are free levelup bonuses) (~27% of my bag)
83 Great Ball (~24% of my bag)
50 Ultra Ball (~14% of my bag)

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug

AirRaid posted:

I got 3 revives from a stop yesterday

:stare:

The lower your Pokémon's CP, the more points the gym gains per Pokémon beaten, so the lower the better, depending on type advantages/your dodging skills/the number of Pokés you want to beat per fight.

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

just below gets you 500ish

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Max prestige = 1000 per fight = your pokemon is at half the defender's CP. It goes linearly from 500 at equal pokes to the max of 1000.

If defender is cp2000 and you have cp1000 you'll get 1000 prestige
If defender is cp2000 and you have cp1500 you'll get 750 prestige
If defender is cp2000 and you have cp2000 you'll get 500 prestige

It's a much higher dropoff if you have a higher prestige attacker
If defender is cp2000 and you have cp2100 you'll get ~200 prestige
If defender is cp2000 and you have cp2200 you'll get the minimum of 100 prestige

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Evolved a 100% Dragonite with Dragon Breath/Dragon Pulse and a 91% Gyarados with Bite/Hydro Pump. Also hatch-evolved a 980CP Machamp which is going to be my Snorlax gym trainer. Today has been a Good Day.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
The bite/hydro pump combo on Gyarados is brutal. Bite is obscenely fast and makes it super easy to dodge moves and charges hydro pump super quick.

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

Dahbadu posted:

Cool post. I'm getting an extra one in the mail this week, so if I have the time I may play around with it. Once you're solid on a resolution, I'd love an update.

I've never missed Radioshack more than while waiting for stuff to be mailed to me to work on this stuff.

BrianBoitano posted:

Will somebody help me confirmation bias the poo poo out of this? Here are my numbers and proportions:

15 Hyper Potions (~4% of my bag)
96 Max Potions (I never use them, most of these are free levelup bonuses) (~27% of my bag)
83 Great Ball (~24% of my bag)
50 Ultra Ball (~14% of my bag)

I've been basically only using the PG+ to play on my commutes for the past few days (because lol @ getting ~1 million xp to level up, and none of the Pokemon I need for my Pokedex spawn nearby). 40% greats, 20% regular balls, 15% razzberries, 7% ultra ball, 5% each Max Potion/Revive, and then random items or empty space.

I basically throw out any non max potions or revives, and any max potions or revives about ~50. Then I just slowly get rid of Razzberries and Pokeballs and replace them. I don't really think they're shooting for a target proportion, but I guess I don't have evidence either way. I think if you wanted to get some better data you'd want to do something like max out your bag with no great balls at all, and then repeatedly delete a few, spin a stop, get back to no great balls, and see what you get.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Dahbadu posted:

Yeah, a low level Snorlax is a pretty annoying troll. Same with a Wiggly, or worse, a Chansey.

I keep any high level raticates that happen to get bite and hyper beam. Bite is fast enough to dodge everything and hyper beam just pours on the damage. A 800cp one can take out a 1200-1300 snorlax without too much trouble. If they get KOed I just send them off to the professor unless my item storage is full and I need to dump stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Pretty loving tired of hatching Eevees from 10k eggs already game, especially when they're low level poo poo compared to what I can catch in the wild.

loving game.

Eat poo poo.

• Locked thread