Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I got declined on the CSR and there was only one reason given on the letter; I have too many cards. drat you r/churning. Guess I'll stick with my CSP for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Hot Dog Day 42069 posted:

I kinda want to do the same. I have no reason to use my CSP anymore not that I have the CSR.
Followup: I couldn't switch my CSP to Freedom Unlimited. All I could do with it to avoid the annual fee was downgrade it to a regular Sapphire and move most of the available credit to my CSR. So now that'll never get used as long as the CSR is around...

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
Something I remembered yesterday--

If you got the Amex Blue Preferred with the 10% back on telecom bill offer, that should apply to equipment purchases according to what I've seen on Nerd Wallet and such. So, that's 10% back on your iPhone purchase so long as you haven't already hit the $200 cap.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Blinkman987 posted:

If you got the Amex Blue Preferred with the 10% back on telecom bill offer, that should apply to equipment purchases according to what I've seen on Nerd Wallet and such. So, that's 10% back on your iPhone purchase so long as you haven't already hit the $200 cap.
Potential iPhone buyers who don't need to have it day one might also want to see if Discover repeats last year's holiday quarter Apple Pay 10% cash back bonus that stacked with their other cash back promos.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
What are the perks of the regular sapphire? Chase doesn't even have a public page for it anymore. I assume that the only way to get one is to downgrade the CSP?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

What are the perks of the regular sapphire?
I have no idea. I'm sure they'll mail me the terms and conditions with the new card if you're really curious. I'm pretty sure it's just 1x points in all categories.

I don't really care as it's now been relegated to credit card purgatory of "run a $10 Netflix/Hulu/etc. bill through it once a month, put it on auto-pay, and leave it in a drawer at home."

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?
So when does the 3 month introductory period for the CSR (or really any card) actually begin? I'm trying to hold out on the application until at least Oct 1 so that I'll be able to include holiday vacation.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
CSR approved :toot:

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

The Mantis posted:

So when does the 3 month introductory period for the CSR (or really any card) actually begin? I'm trying to hold out on the application until at least Oct 1 so that I'll be able to include holiday vacation.

Do you mean the 3 months you have to meet the spending bonus? Usually it officially starts the day your application is approved. Unofficially they usually give you a little more time than exactly 3 months to account for shipping the card to you and purchases not posting immediately, but I would make sure to meet the minimum requirements before the official 3 month date regardless.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Thufir posted:

CSR approved :toot:

same here

I wonder if I would spend so much if I wasn't trying to meet min spend all the time

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Blinkman987 posted:

I'm considering this option too

DeceasedHorse
Nov 11, 2005

THF13 posted:

Do you mean the 3 months you have to meet the spending bonus? Usually it officially starts the day your application is approved. Unofficially they usually give you a little more time than exactly 3 months to account for shipping the card to you and purchases not posting immediately, but I would make sure to meet the minimum requirements before the official 3 month date regardless.

It varies on the issuer. If you are concerned, you can get Chase to give you the specific date via secure message. Also, Chase will overnight any card for free-you usually have to specifically ask, but they might do it automatically with the Reserve; Amex does with their comparable platinum card.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

DeceasedHorse posted:

Also, Chase will overnight any card for free-you usually have to specifically ask, but they might do it automatically with the Reserve; Amex does with their comparable platinum card.
It's automatic on the Reserve. You don't need to ask.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Chase Freedom's holiday quarter 5% isn't Amazon this year. It's department stores. :(

I guess that's okay since I'll probably still be working on that CSR minimum spend but I was hoping for a repeat of Amazon.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Chase Freedom's holiday quarter 5% isn't Amazon this year. It's department stores. :(

I guess that's okay since I'll probably still be working on that CSR minimum spend but I was hoping for a repeat of Amazon.

Like asking for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles for NES and grandma gives you the Tiger Electronics version of it for Christmas.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Makes me want an amazon card but I'm right under the 5/24 and I have a butt load of business trips next year. Gonna hold out for that CSR if the bonus isn't pulled before then

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Department stores...! Do any of them sell Amazon gift cards? I was hoping for 10% again.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

SiGmA_X posted:

Department stores...! Do any of them sell Amazon gift cards? I was hoping for 10% again.

Chase Freedom's 5% also includes drug stores, which usually have tons of gift cards and visa debit cards.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Looks like I won't be getting much mileage out of the freedom this holiday season. Unless maybe present shopping?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Discover It still has 5% cash back at Amazon July through December, so I wonder if Discover has an exclusive deal with them now

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Chase Freedom's 5% also includes drug stores, which usually have tons of gift cards and visa debit cards.
I have purchased Amazon gift cards at drug stores, so you can definitely go that route.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
If you had a Citi Premier card and a ton of ThankYou points, what would the best redemption method be to get a flight to South Korea? I'm looking around for a friend and I'm not really sure.

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?
insta approved for CSR :feelsgood:

then they sent me this: "We'll send your new card and account information in the mail within the next 2 weeks."

what the poo poo does it actually take that long?

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Mine was ups overnight like 2 days after I filled out the csr application. It's pretty baller. I really don't see myself paying this fee more than a year or two though, gonna blow through these points like an accountant in Bangkok.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Signed up for a store credit card because it gives you free return shipping if you use their card...

No annual fee. How do people feel about store branded cards?

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

The Mantis posted:

insta approved for CSR :feelsgood:

then they sent me this: "We'll send your new card and account information in the mail within the next 2 weeks."

what the poo poo does it actually take that long?

I got approved last Thursday and UPS dropped it off yesterday. I did get the fancy metal card (apparently they were out for a while?).

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

SiGmA_X posted:

If you had a Citi Premier card and a ton of ThankYou points, what would the best redemption method be to get a flight to South Korea? I'm looking around for a friend and I'm not really sure.

Maybe FlyingBlue to book on Korean or China Airlines? Also it appears that you can book Japan Airlines awards with FlyingBlue, which is kind of a surprise. FWIW I've never used FlyingBlue so I don't have a lot of detail or insight, but that's where I'd start my search.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Massasoit posted:

Signed up for a store credit card because it gives you free return shipping if you use their card...

They usually have outrageous and retroactive interest rates. Usually, they aren't worth it, but if it has no annual fee and you never keep a balance you're probably fine. You are theoretically missing out on some points / miles from using another card, but that's probably not a large amount.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Massasoit posted:

I hate them, my wife loves them. We use them when the discount for using them is better than anything else we might get. When the kids were little we used the Carters card a fair bit. Targeted extra discounts, free shipping, etc. We use the JCPenney card for the extra discount as well as we do most of our clothing shopping there. Never carry a balance on them! Interest rates are super high on them compared to other cards. All of my normal credit cards are between 10% and 16% APR, store cards are usually 24 to 29%. I don't carry balances on any of them so I don't really care about the APR, but if something happens and you can't pay off the balance for some reason it's nice to know you won't be paying 30% APR on the purchase.

I see them as just one more thing to lose track of and potentially get nailed with late fees or interest. I rather centralize our spending to our 2 primary cards.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

It's kind of funny y'all are taking about high interest because the interest on my double cash is like 26% and the interest on this one is 17. I was also happy to see the card is serviced by Barclays so I didn't need to make a new account and it automatically popped up with my other Barclay card.

Same story with all cards though, never carry a balance!

Only did that one, before I had an emergency fund, and the card was at 0% introductory rate.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Massasoit posted:

It's kind of funny y'all are taking about high interest because the interest on my double cash is like 26% and the interest on this one is 17. I was also happy to see the card is serviced by Barclays so I didn't need to make a new account and it automatically popped up with my other Barclay card.

Same story with all cards though, never carry a balance!

Only did that one, before I had an emergency fund, and the card was at 0% introductory rate.

Store cards aren't functionally different than bank cards, but they do tend to have very high interest rates on average and usually have some sort of retroactive interest clause. A lot of furniture and tech places have very scammy practices where you have no monthly payments and no interest for 18 months, but if you don't have the payment finished in 18 months they charge you 18 months worth of interest at 30% and then service this new higher number at 30% APR.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I don't care how good the perks on the store card are who the gently caress still goes to JC Penney and Macy's in 2016 and pays double over Amazon? I mean sure there are a few illiterate people who can't get online still but who else?

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Wrong thread!

Barry fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Sep 20, 2016

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Pryor on Fire posted:

I don't care how good the perks on the store card are who the gently caress still goes to JC Penney and Macy's in 2016 and pays double over Amazon? I mean sure there are a few illiterate people who can't get online still but who else?

I do. I despise purchasing clothing online. The pricing isn't even near double, but this is nothing but a troll post so I'm questioning myself for even responding to it.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Store cards aren't functionally different than bank cards, but they do tend to have very high interest rates on average and usually have some sort of retroactive interest clause. A lot of furniture and tech places have very scammy practices where you have no monthly payments and no interest for 18 months, but if you don't have the payment finished in 18 months they charge you 18 months worth of interest at 30% and then service this new higher number at 30% APR.

When I worked at Best Buy the Best Buy card was pushed like crazy. It was win-win for the store, we didn't pay the Visa/Mastercard/American Express fees if the customer paid with our card, and if they didn't pay in full within the 18/24 months of "no interest financing" we would get a small % of their penalty fees applied to our P&L.

Was super fun as a manager getting yelled at for credit card stuff. Biggest complaints were the people who didn't pay off in time and got massive interest rate charges, or my favorites, those that missed a month payment and the "no interest" rate went up to the 22.3% standard rate. "I BOUGHT THIS TV FOR 18 MONTHS NO PAYMENTS!" "No, ma'am, read the terms, you bought it 18 months no interest with payments."

I've heard they do nowadays but they really should have taught a basic "real world" economics class in high school. While learning about Adam Smith was all hunky dorey it wasn't all that useful.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

skipdogg posted:

I do. I despise purchasing clothing online. The pricing isn't even near double, but this is nothing but a troll post so I'm questioning myself for even responding to it.

People might disagree with you or have vastly different experiences this doesn't mean they are "trolling" just fyi.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

I have one store credit card for Crate and Barrel because the general proposition is 10% back in store credit so long as you jump through a few hoops. Now, it could be argued that paying C&B prices to begin with is pretty much throwing money away.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Medullah posted:

"I BOUGHT THIS TV FOR 18 MONTHS NO PAYMENTS!" "No, ma'am, read the terms, you bought it 18 months no interest with payments."

I have a friend whose wife supposedly has an economics degree. She bought a car and was very surprised when she got a bill the next month. The concept of "no interest != no payments" is a toughie I guess.

quote:

"Now, it could be argued that paying C&B prices to begin with is pretty much throwing money away. "

I suppose there might be an arguable position somewhere around there.

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
Applied for and was approved for the Delta AMEX Gold. I'm working towards the $100 dollar bonus on the Capital One Quicksilver right now, but that shouldn't be hard to get (only need to spend $500) and then I'll start working towards the 50,000 mile reward after spending $1000. With the holidays coming up, and needing to purchase new tires soon, it won't be hard to reach.

Also, right now my AMEX Blue Cash Everyday card is 6% back at grocery stores until the end of the year. I've never really done any kind of churning, but it is possible to just buy visa gift cards with a CC right? Is possible to withdraw funds from those gift cards, and just like redeposit them back into my bank account?

edit: some quick googling says no, which is a bummer. 6% is great, but I usually never go to any grocery stores that accept credit cards. The one I go to only accepts debit, but is by far the cheapest in town.

GAYS FOR DAYS fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Sep 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
You can buy gift cards at grocery stores as a way to turn that 6% grocery cash back into 6% cash back at many other places. I occasionally buy Amazon gift cards at Safeway to take advantage of this. The 6% only applies to your first $6k spent at grocery stores per year though, so there's a limit to how much you can exploit this.