Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Kashuno posted:

The secret is whichever team picks widowmaker loses (because every game has a widowmaker). I like to be on mic and when someone picks hanzo/widowmaker just say "Are you going to be the first sniper to ever impress me in this game?" and then they usually switch.

That seems like a good way to get someone to switch to attack symmetra

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

ImPureAwesome posted:

That seems like a good way to get someone to switch to attack symmetra

Usually they switch to mei. I'll take attack mei over widowmaker any day of my life

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Kashuno posted:

Usually they switch to mei. I'll take attack mei over widowmaker any day of my life

Hope you like people trying to wall off the payload

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Kashuno posted:

The secret is whichever team picks widowmaker loses (because every game has a widowmaker). I like to be on mic and when someone picks hanzo/widowmaker just say "Are you going to be the first sniper to ever impress me in this game?" and then they usually switch.

The rank 1400 style offense team:
Whatever reasonable character you picked
Trobjorn
Bastion
Widowmaker
Hanzo
Symmetra
:suicide:

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Making the enemy team sit in their spawn for a few more seconds at the beginning of a match is extremely important

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I just walk out a different exit by default now.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Why don't 6 meis just block all the exits on rotation forever

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Help Im Alive posted:

Don't most maps have three exits?

sleppy
Dec 25, 2008

Help Im Alive posted:

why doesn't ana just shoot herself?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
How is Roadhog drinking his big gulp full of brawndo with his gas mask on?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

It's a gas injector that he injects into his mask. Also works great for vaping. :ssh:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Internet Explorer posted:

It's a gas injector that he injects into his mask. Also works great for vaping. :ssh:

Oh god now you're making me want a neckbeard Roadhog skin that has a fedora, Guy Fawkes mask and huge robodick vape pen he sucks in when he Heals.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!

Kashuno posted:

This kind of poo poo would probably make me want to throw. Let someone make their picks and if it isn't working, suggest a change.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
Scrap cannon becomes oversized Nerf gun, meat hook replaced by a very long wallet chain attached to his jorts.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Rufio posted:

This kind of poo poo would probably make me want to throw. Let someone make their picks and if it isn't working, suggest a change.

Straight from the mouth of a widow main

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!

goodness posted:

Straight from the mouth of a widow main

Hanzo and Widow are my least played by a long shot. I just don't think a passive aggressive pick policing comment about impressing you is behavior that should be rewarded .

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
Voice shifts up a couple of octaves, knuckle rings read "Nice" and "Guy", instead of "Pretty place, it'd be a shame to kill someone here" he says ""Are you going to be the first sniper to ever impress me in this game?" because wow that is some cringe.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Rufio posted:

I find it is much better to suggest a change before the game starts because the minute someone gets 1% ult charge they will never switch again

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
i am HIGHLY important and all the members of my team must ensure my being satisfied with them is their number 1 priority

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Lovechop posted:

i am HIGHLY important and all the members of my team must ensure my being satisfied with them is their number 1 priority

:yeah:

unironically when you're in the badlands you should ask people to swap off hanzo/widow as fast as possible in a nice way

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Dr Cheeto posted:

Hope you like people trying to wall off the payload

I was playing Placement Matches on Eichenwald on Attack, and the Mei on our team blocked us all into the spawn for the first 5 seconds then reblocked us as soon as the cooldown was down,
Then they continue to block us at every corner.

Including blocking us when trying to get onto the payload, i just wonder if they were actually on the other team secretly

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

Kashuno posted:

I find it is much better to suggest a change before the game starts because the minute someone gets 1% ult charge they will never switch again

Impress me by finding another way to get your point across

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Rufio posted:

Impress me by finding another way to get your point across

Try "please no hanzo/widow thank you."

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
I've found that when dealing with a bad team comp at a certain point it's worthwhile to go as bad as possible.

Rather than try and patch something together, just go full widow/attack symettra. I have better luck doing that because people will switch over to more synergistic characters more often than I'm able to win with the exotic solo support/no tank comp.

Slampicking a good team player is also another way to encourage people to be less horrible.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
*picks widowmaker*

*shania twain begins to play*

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i've started slampicking lucio so at least i have a leg to stand on when asking widow, genji and hanzo to switch off of their terrible characters that don't impact level 1600 games in the slightest

'come on man, i'm playing loving lucio to help the team, the least you could do is not play Sym on offense bro'

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Disgusting Coward posted:

Scrap cannon becomes oversized Nerf gun, meat hook replaced by a very long wallet chain attached to his jorts.

I think it would work better as a maverick/turdsock/fedora/duster coat combo for fat mccree. He's already got a burgeoning neckbeard so all they'd really have to do is reskin the clothing parts and blow up the model.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Efexeye posted:

i've started slampicking lucio so at least i have a leg to stand on when asking widow, genji and hanzo to switch off of their terrible characters that don't impact level 1600 games in the slightest

'come on man, i'm playing loving lucio to help the team, the least you could do is not play Sym on offense bro'

Yeah I do the same. Also it works really well if you just calmly say why you'd prefer a different hero, especially since a lot of the time people will say "Yeah dude please do what they said" and it'll be a chill game.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Kashuno posted:

Yeah I do the same. Also it works really well if you just calmly say why you'd prefer a different hero, especially since a lot of the time people will say "Yeah dude please do what they said" and it'll be a chill game.

Back during the beta people were way chill like this (maybe they thought blizzard would yank beta access for salt) but nowadays it's like any other game. That doesn't make it unplayable, by any measure.

Lol then again you might bump into jastiger between chatbans and get bile spewed all over your suboptimal counterplay not getting clutch picks for the tilt.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

FAUXTON posted:

Back during the beta people were way chill like this (maybe they thought blizzard would yank beta access for salt) but nowadays it's like any other game. That doesn't make it unplayable, by any measure.

Lol then again you might bump into jastiger between chatbans and get bile spewed all over your suboptimal counterplay not getting clutch picks for the tilt.

Last game I had a reaper on the other team screaming in allchat about how he hates his team and would AFK but the last time he left he had an 8 hour leaver penalty so he won't and instead just ran to our spawn and sat there

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

YEAH BUT IM A GREAT GENJI- said every genji player ever

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"
I just played a couple games when the other team twice used a ulitmate to kill only me, playing lucio. Once junkrats tire ramped over two of my teammates to chase me around a corner to kill me. An other time I rounded a corner to be face to face with a enemy D.Va and pharah. Pharah rocket barraged me point blank on the ground and it was actually D.Va that got the kill, just a little excessive.

And regarding team choice, who cares what people pick as long if its not three freaking hanzos on the other team and two on my team so there were constantly dragons flying all of the place, with that white one throwing me off too.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Just crushed a team so hard that three of their players left when it was their turn to attack and one of the remaining three went roadhog and let me shoot him / heal repeatedly so I could pad my stats. Thanks friend

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Shnag posted:

And regarding team choice, who cares what people pick as long if its not three freaking hanzos on the other team and two on my team so there were constantly dragons flying all of the place, with that white one throwing me off too.

I mean I care when it's point defense and we have no tanks because that makes it really hard but if both teams are equally bad then sometimes it just works

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Shnag posted:

we're talking about competitive, where what you pick matters a lot

sleppy
Dec 25, 2008

Efexeye posted:

we're talking about competitive, where what you pick matters a lot

Unless you are in the very top percentages that's just not true (edit: barring none of a certain class or straight up retarded poo poo). I have been pleasantly surprised by off picks so many times that I will even defend them from being bullied out of it at the very start. If it doesn't work, change, but I run into plenty of people who just dumped enough hours into one character that they can handle nearly every map/comp.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Disgusting Coward posted:

Tire shoulder pad is now a Dva body pillow slung over his shoulder.

While whole Hog is active he screams "lightning bolt!" over and over.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

sleppy posted:

Unless you are in the very top percentages that's just not true (edit: barring none of a certain class or straight up retarded poo poo). I have been pleasantly surprised by off picks so many times that I will even defend them from being bullied out of it at the very start. If it doesn't work, change, but I run into plenty of people who just dumped enough hours into one character that they can handle nearly every map/comp.

No, it always matters. It's never completely determinative, but that's a misunderstanding to begin with; it's not completely determinative even at the literal very top. Several teams run odd hero choices because they have someone who's so good with that hero they can't afford to give them up.

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax

Hackan Slash posted:

I've found that when dealing with a bad team comp at a certain point it's worthwhile to go as bad as possible.

When game is going full retard you can only go with it, If you start going against it, if you start going half retard, you're loving done for -NOtail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

sleppy posted:

when you are in the 1600's team comp is probably 10x more important than individual skill