Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

mind the walrus posted:

Well that's it. He's Hawkeye without the swagger and come-from-behind confidence.
He's one of my absolute favorite Marvel D-listers. My impression of Paladin, dating all the way back to an old issue of Marvel Two In One where he was teamed up with Spidey and Dazzler (and wearing a hideous green and yellow version of his costume) is that he'd very much like to be an amoral dickbag but can't quite ever manage to pull it off. He doesn't see himself as a hero, he doesn't try to do the right thing; if anything he tries really really hard to do the tactical realism expedient thing but can't ever quite manage to pull it off.

I love him playing off Spider-Man or Captain America. I was less of a fan of his Shadowland mini or Heroes for Hire though HfH did pretty well with him. He's just not really a leading man or protagonist for a book I don't think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The Fix #5

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Post Funny Panels-It's a great dick, sir

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Selachian posted:

Yeah, Paladin dated Wasp for a while but she eventually ditched him to go back to Pym. That's probably the closest he's actually gotten to an A-lister.

I like the idea that Janet has people- not just ONE, but multiple- that she pays purely to deal with all her booty calls. That's a 1% problem, there.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Gaz-L posted:

I like the idea that Janet has people- not just ONE, but multiple- that she pays purely to deal with all her booty calls. That's a 1% problem, there.

The Devil Wears Unstable Molecules

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

NorgLyle posted:

He's one of my absolute favorite Marvel D-listers. My impression of Paladin, dating all the way back to an old issue of Marvel Two In One where he was teamed up with Spidey and Dazzler (and wearing a hideous green and yellow version of his costume) is that he'd very much like to be an amoral dickbag but can't quite ever manage to pull it off. He doesn't see himself as a hero, he doesn't try to do the right thing; if anything he tries really really hard to do the tactical realism expedient thing but can't ever quite manage to pull it off.

I love him playing off Spider-Man or Captain America. I was less of a fan of his Shadowland mini or Heroes for Hire though HfH did pretty well with him. He's just not really a leading man or protagonist for a book I don't think.

I don't remember which issue -- it might have been the MTU one you mention -- but I recall a fight where Paladin was bragging to Spidey that his suit gave him "the strength of three men." (Which is kind of sad in itself when you're fighting freaking SPIDER-MAN.)

Spidey's response: "Which three -- Moe, Larry, and Curly?"

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

NorgLyle posted:

He's a great foil for Cap. He's a big part of the Superia Strategem storyline from '91. The gist is that he and Cap have to fight The Femizons, which is just another excuse for Paladin to hit on women.

And any character, written well, can star in a book. See: Superior Foes and Boomerang.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Red posted:

And any character, written well, can star in a book. See: Superior Foes and Boomerang.
Oh I 100% agree and I'd love to see him get a regular gig in something. My thing with Heroes for Hire was that they tried to write him as a hard luck good guy and while that can work, as Hawkguy demonstrated, it isn't right for Paladin and loses a lot about what makes him such an appealing character for me.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Selachian posted:

I don't remember which issue -- it might have been the MTU one you mention -- but I recall a fight where Paladin was bragging to Spidey that his suit gave him "the strength of three men." (Which is kind of sad in itself when you're fighting freaking SPIDER-MAN.)

Spidey's response: "Which three -- Moe, Larry, and Curly?"

Strength of three men definitely isn't enough:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lobok posted:

Strength of three men definitely isn't enough:

This feels like a scene out of JoJo.

"You're wrong! My stand, [NICKLEBACK], is a lot stronger than ten men! THWIPTHWIPTHWIPTHWIP!"

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/LarryBundyJr/status/777404351228813312?s=09

:spidey:

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

WickedHate posted:

"You're wrong! My stand, [SPIDER FROM MARS], is a lot stronger than ten men! THWIPTHWIPTHWIPTHWIP!"

ftfy

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

:vince:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

WickedHate posted:

"You're wrong! My stand, [NICKLEBACK], is a lot stronger than ten men! THWIPTHWIPTHWIPTHWIP!"

Oh come, it'd have to be the 60s Spider-Man theme - or the one from Spectacular Spider-Man.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Hero is a good song and was a great choice for the first Spider-Man film. :colbert:

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

By the Great Green skinned Ogre,
Living in the Beard of Chad Kreogre!

Are people in here talking about Nickleback?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

The Question IRL posted:

By the Great Green skinned Ogre,
Living in the Beard of Chad Kreogre!

Are people in here talking about Nickleback?

Of course they are.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

WickedHate posted:

Hero is a good song and was a great choice for the first Spider-Man film. :colbert:

:mad:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

NorgLyle posted:

Oh I 100% agree and I'd love to see him get a regular gig in something. My thing with Heroes for Hire was that they tried to write him as a hard luck good guy and while that can work, as Hawkguy demonstrated, it isn't right for Paladin and loses a lot about what makes him such an appealing character for me.

I remember he was pretty good during the dark reign Thunderbolts.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Wade Wilson posted:

Of course they are.

That's a pretty cruel thing to do to Nickelback, doncha think?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

prefect posted:

They're both money-grubbing one-note poseurs, so little of column A, a little of column B.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

mind the walrus posted:

Yeah that's a p. ballsy cabbie to openly gently caress with the guy like that.

His first guess was Spidey, that means he's a New York cabbie

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

AnonSpore posted:

His first guess was Spidey, that means he's a New York cabbie

I have no idea if it's the case. But the green sweater and short hair is making me think that's Sandman driving the cab.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Section Z posted:

I have no idea if it's the case. But the green sweater and short hair is making me think that's Sandman driving the cab.

Ok Marvel, get on this: twenty to thirty pages a month of Cab Driver Sandman. He's gone straight, but uses his occupation to gently caress with C-List heroes and villains for laughs. Make this happen!

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Ok Marvel, get on this: twenty to thirty pages a month of Cab Driver Sandman. He's gone straight, but uses his occupation to gently caress with C-List heroes and villains for laughs. Make this happen!

If it was funny I'd buy it.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

prefect posted:

Kiss get bonus points for "kiss meets the Phantom of the park"

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Ensign_Ricky posted:

It doesn't even have to be Sandy. It can just be Joe Schmoe, Superdick behind the wheel.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Choco1980 posted:

It doesn't even have to be Sandy. It can just be Joe Schmoe, Superdick behind the wheel.

It'd make more sense to be Overdrive.

(How did he get these fantastic powers?!)

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Overdrive has such a specific powers set and I love it.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Overdrive has such a specific powers set and I love it.

Yes. I felt he was criminally underused in Superior Foes. They didn't make enough ridiculous, souped-up vehicles.

I once played a guy in Mutants and Masterminds (basically superhero D&D) that had Overdrive's powers. It was amazing.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

As far as backstories go, this one is pretty loving great.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Where is my "Overdrive" Marvel Legend already?

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

What exactly are his powers, apart from rad driving skills and extremely genre-savvy career planning?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Dolash posted:

What exactly are his powers, apart from rad driving skills and extremely genre-savvy career planning?

If you ever played Crackdown and remember watching your vehicle upgrade, he has an extremely loosely defined ability to do that to any [motor?] vehicle.

Or if Pimp My Ride was a show where each person's car was changed not by a team of mechanics and body shop wunderkinds but by Xzibit's Midas touch, that is Overdrive.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Wait, how the hell did a mob boss's injection do that? That's so broadly defined and magical! It's like if an amateur chemist mixed some prescription drugs together and created the Green Lantern ring.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

WickedHate posted:

Wait, how the hell did a mob boss's injection do that? That's so broadly defined and magical! It's like if an amateur chemist mixed some prescription drugs together and created the Green Lantern ring.

Mister Negative himself had vaguely defined magic powers so it's not too much of a stretch.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

WickedHate posted:

nanomachines, son.

dang, you walked into that one so incredibly hard. like, i have never seen a better opportunity to use that quote.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

WickedHate posted:

Unstable molecules?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

WickedHate posted:

You probably don't want to look up Chemistro, who invented an alchemy gun.

I suppose you could :techno: Overdrive's powers by saying the nano-bacteria were already pre-programmed to work only within the narrow scope of advanced machine vehicles and with all the knowledge/specifications on the other technology necessary and compatible for pimping them up? Maybe some other beings looked at Earth and erroneously thought that cars were the dominant lifeform and created the nano-bacteria to rapidly evolve and change them, like when someone comes along in comics and decides to mutate humans.

How Mr. Negative got his hands on it though, who knows. Fell out of the sky?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Serious Frolicking posted:

nanomachines, son.

dang, you walked into that one so incredibly hard. like, i have never seen a better opportunity to use that quote.

Yeah okay I can buy that actually.