Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Currently listening to music while my 6s charges. I'll have to evolve beyond these archaic practices later this week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Airplay, streaming from a computer itunes library, large app support, unification with all the stuff you're already doing on ios

Apple TV is the obvious best choice if you are the kind of person who would own an Apple TV, is what I'm hearing

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

oh cool so we're back to your gimmick of asking questions with no intention on listening to anything and being contrarian as gently caress

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
i like the touchpad on the remote it makes all other remotes feel like like i'm sending a telegraph

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

loquacius posted:

Apple TV is the obvious best choice if you are the kind of person who would own an Apple TV, is what I'm hearing

it's the same advantage every other apple product has. if you're already invested in the apple ecosystem, with an iphone, mac, itunes library, then the integration is seamless and content can be shared between devices and platforms effortlessly

if you don't own any other apple products, then the only advantages are style and build quality

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

Perplx posted:

i like the touchpad on the remote it makes all other remotes feel like like i'm sending a telegraph

i like how it's impossible to hold the remote without touching the pad and therefore like bringing up the HUD and accidentally fast forwarding and poo poo

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

infernal machines posted:

it's the same advantage every other apple product has. if you're already invested in the apple ecosystem, with an iphone, mac, itunes library, then the integration is seamless and content can be shared between devices and platforms effortlessly

if you don't own any other apple products, then the only advantages are style and build quality

this is all I was saying, sorry bangers knickers person is so mad everyone :(

(for the record btw you can also stream from PC on a Roku if you use Plex, but not from an arbitrary number of devices like Airplay seems to be)

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

loquacius posted:

What's the advantage of Apple TV supposed to be over Roku again

it reinvents tv

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

loquacius posted:

Like, I've heard a lot of nebulous "it's just better" assertions but the only reason my Roku has ever given me to be dissatisfied is that the HBO GO app is bad and unstable (which is par for the HBO course AFAICT)

every time i use a roku i feel like it must be running on a 8086, every button press on the remote takes a second to register, ui actions animate at like 5 fps

they work but its clear that the os not optimized, the hardware underpowered, and the apps not held to any kind of standard

that being said airplay is a turd, it works fine from a macbook but low power devices (iphones) skip and stutter if the wifi signal drops to anything less than perfect, which guess what: it will when you're walking around with your phone in your pocket

there is no reason that media should actually stream from my phone. if you have itunes match itll get the song name from your phone and then stream from the cloud instead of your device but this doesnt do anything for pandora/spotify/etc

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Sep 20, 2016

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

does roku even hold apps in memory yet or does it still just dump everything when you go to the homescreen

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

loquacius posted:

(for the record btw you can also stream from PC on a Roku if you use Plex, but not from an arbitrary number of devices like Airplay seems to be)

or you can use miracast, which windows 8+ support natively to stream and do display mirroring. the roku supports it natively

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Last Chance posted:

does roku even hold apps in memory yet or does it still just dump everything when you go to the homescreen

The latter, but I actually like that because it means when the lovely HBO GO app goes into a bad state I can do a fresh restart of it super easily

infernal machines posted:

or you can use miracast, which windows 8+ support natively to stream and do display mirroring. the roku supports it natively

I looked into this a while back before even getting a Roku, but forgot about it entirely until just now, thanks :tipshat:

Plex works great for streaming audio/video files but sometimes you have very specific edge cases that doesn't cover

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

roku's still good for a spare room or something. thats where mine is

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

i got this app called infuse that streams stuff right from my linux iso smb share. it pulls all the media info automatically based on file name. it's pretty neat

atv is not bad

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

infuse is good, my only complaint is that progress doesnt sync across devices. you can use some external service to track if youve watched entire epsidoes/movies but not your place within them

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
There's no way to run emulators/etc on the ATV, right? That was one of the reasons I got a FireTV instead of the ATV, as I didn't want to build another computer for just emulators and what not. FireTV has been very needs-suiting.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sdrIAXNo1s

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
smythe needs to get in here and school you all about Home Theater PCs

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news

Sudo Echo posted:

i got this app called infuse that streams stuff right from my linux iso smb share. it pulls all the media info automatically based on file name. it's pretty neat

atv is not bad

doesn't plex do this too?

curious for when i am eventually unlazy enough to a) buy the new apple tv b) set it up with my linux isos and c) use it; so c u in 2020 i guess

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

trilljester posted:

There's no way to run emulators/etc on the ATV, right? That was one of the reasons I got a FireTV instead of the ATV, as I didn't want to build another computer for just emulators and what not. FireTV has been very needs-suiting.

you can sideload from a mac with xcode, but they changed it a while ago now your sideloaded app is only good for 10 days unless you have a paid dev account lol

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

curious for when i am eventually unlazy enough to a) buy the new apple tv b) set it up with my linux isos and c) use it; so c u in 2020 i guess

emby too

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

loquacius posted:

Like, I've heard a lot of nebulous "it's just better" assertions but the only reason my Roku has ever given me to be dissatisfied is that the HBO GO app is bad and unstable (which is par for the HBO course AFAICT)

perform the following test and report back. Netflix and chill with roku then Netflix and chill with Apple TV.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Perplx posted:

you can sideload from a mac with xcode, but they changed it a while ago now your sideloaded app is only good for 10 days unless you have a paid dev account lol

Hahahaha, I guess that's one way to combat jailbreaking or whatever it's called these days.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

neonbregna posted:

perform the following test and report back. Netflix and chill with roku then Netflix and chill with Apple TV.

I would have to buy an Apple TV to perform this test so no thank you

Actually a hotel I stayed in recently had apple tvs in every room (it was a hipster hotel) and my main reaction to using it was "I am slightly annoyed by this UI being different from the one I'm used to and this remote doesn't have enough buttons on it" rather than "I can't believe how quick and responsive the Netflix menu is on this wonderful device!!!" or anything like that

I'm aware that that's not really a point against Apple TV, just sayin' the old "give it one try and you'll see how much better it is" scenario didn't happen

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

yeah one time i picked up an android and used it to send a text and make a call and it did that just as well as an iPhone so i'm totally stumped why anyone pays more for iPhones unless they don't want their phone blowing a hole in their leg or hand

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

for some reason every time I go to unlock my phone the music player thing is showing on the lock screen, but it's blank since I no longer have any music in the Apple Music app. no headphones plugged in or audio devices connected.

why tim

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

AWWNAW posted:

yeah one time i picked up an android and used it to send a text and make a call and it did that just as well as an iPhone so i'm totally stumped why anyone pays more for iPhones unless they don't want their phone blowing a hole in their leg or hand

are you suggesting the roku explodes with normal use?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

AWWNAW posted:

seems like a good reason to pay more* imo

*flagship androids cost just as much as iphones. even the new nexus pixel phones are going to cost as much

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

DuckConference posted:

for some reason every time I go to unlock my phone the music player thing is showing on the lock screen, but it's blank since I no longer have any music in the Apple Music app. no headphones plugged in or audio devices connected.

why tim

lol ios 10 is such a joke now, why would you install it?

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Stymie posted:

lol ios 10 is such a joke now, why would you install it?

It's really good. It's the most advanced mobile operating system ever.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
sierra is out - god help all you early adopters

ufarn fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Sep 20, 2016

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

ufarn posted:

sierra is out - god help all you earlier adopters

been using it for 2 weeks and it's good

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

DuckConference posted:

why tim

delete the Apple Music app, problem solved!

note: this introduces a new problem where Siri cannot control the Podcasts app because voice commands for the Podcasts app require the Music app

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

THC posted:

DisplayMate Technologies has declared iPhone 7has the "best LCD display" it has ever tested, calling it "truly impressive" and a "major upgrade" over the iPhone 6 based on a series of advanced viewing tests and measurements.

iPhone 7 achieved the highest color accuracy, peak brightness, and contrast rating in bright light of any smartphone display, the highest contrast ratio of any IPS LCD display, and the lowest screen reflectance of any smartphone display.

"the most color accurate display" that it has ever measured, adding that the smartphone's display is "very likely considerably better than any mobile display, monitor, TV, or UHD TV" that consumers have.

now if only we could get loving 1080p resolution on the 4.7 screen wouldnt that be something displaym8

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

echinopsis posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

lol

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

Plex is Good, I have it running on my Asustor 16TB NAS and it does everything I ask of it.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Sudo Echo posted:

atv is not bad

downloading this as soon as I get home

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Plex on Roku looks remarkably like that screenshot ftr

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
i tried all the media players for tvos and plex was the best, infuse seemed to choke on high bitrate mp4's that worked when airplayed from quicktime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

• Locked thread