Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo (August 28, 1951)

Nancy (October 12, 1943)

Wash Tubbs (June 25, 1929)

Gasoline Alley (July 10, 1923)

Barney Google (July 11, 1922)

Alley Oop (October 10, 1933)

Lil' Abner (March 9, 1937)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet

quote:

“Test Patterns”
“Design, On The Dotted Line”
“Maid, My Dreams Come True”
“Solid As A Frock”
“Project Runaway”
“Gingham Style”
“Who Wears Waldo?”
“Crime Doesn’t Paisley”
“Three Stripes, And You’re Out!”
“A Beer Barrel, With Polka Dots”
“I’ve Just About Plaid Enough”
“Sash Only, No Checks”
“Something’s Cotton In Denmark!”
“Don’t Be A Spooled Sport!”
“Aced Home Wreck”
“A Strange Sequins, Of Monumental Proportions”
“….And, Leave The Dressed To Me!”
or
“Caught Thread Handed”

quote:

No, Pru.
Luann is Not “STOKED” about the Wedding.
She’s about to have a “STROKE” Over the Wedding….

quote:

That would look great on the floor next to my bed in the morning…

quote:

JPuzzleWhiz said, about 23 hours ago
@IamJayBluE
“Test Patterns”
“Design, On The Dotted Line”
“Maid, My Dreams Come True”
“Solid As A Frock”
“Project Runaway”
“Gingham Style”
“Who Wears Waldo?”
“Crime Doesn’t Paisley”
“Three Stripes, And You’re Out!”
“A Beer Barrel, With Polka Dots”
“I’ve Just About Plaid Enough”
“Sash Only, No Checks”
“Something’s Cotton In Denmark!”
“Don’t Be A Spooled Sport!”
“Aced Home Wreck”
“A Strange Sequins, Of Monumental Proportions”
“….And, Leave The Dressed To Me!”
or
“Caught Thread Handed”

The whole list gets the Puzzler Prize today!

Let’s see what I can come up with off the top of my head:

“Sew, What’s New?”
“I Sense A Pattern, Here…”
“All This, And A Tat, Too!” (a “wearable art” ref)
“Assign By Design”
“Hit The Fabrics”

quote:

PipeTobacco GoComics PRO Member said, about 22 hours ago

Well, today’s effort actually seems to link well and explain perhaps, why Luann was SO VERY “exuberant” in Sunday’s panels.

Today, I like that Luann is enthused about her art project, and I think it is rather nice that she is imagining her bridesmaid dress is what she will make for her wearable art.

I wonder if Zebo allows the student to seek help from others in terms of the actual construction of the wearable art, or if it has to be all Luann’s work?

If it has to be all her own work, it may end up being problematic as I am not recalling any prior sewing experience by Luann. So, with little/no prior experience…. will Greg have her be a “natural” at sewing, or a “flop”? The “flop”, of course has more traditional comedic potential.

If Luann can elicit actual sewing help, Gunther could of course be her “go to person”. That in itself could prove to be very interesting and revealing as they have not talked much since going to college. Greg could use their interaction to let both be introspective (and revealing to us) about where they both are heading.

Now…. the big question to me…. will the bridesmaid dress Luann creates be “edgy” and “different” enough to elicit a positive response from Zebo? Or will it be more traditional (and potentially be thought of as bland by Zebo)? I think Luann should go for edgy and different, and in the end let Toni decide if she should wear it at the wedding (Toni would likely say yes) or wear a more traditional one.

fort knox

Flying Mccoys

Dustin

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (July 23, 1929)

Peanuts (September 23, 1969)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (November 6-7, 1929)

Thimble Theater (April 9, 1930)

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Viivi & Wagner

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Strontium posted:

The art in Dustin was always so good, but now we can't even rely on that :sigh:

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft

So folks who ghost write are condemned after death to forever wander the earth tormented by Satan? That seems a little extreme.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

how many FOOBs are just "i hate my life"? 85%?

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

EasyEW posted:

Thimble Theater (April 8, 1930)

Eighty years ago, there were still Nice O.K. Guys.

How did Popeye ever usurp this guy, again?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Wait, did compu-toon actually do a comic featuring something that computers actually do :fork:

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

I just noticed Boyce's name appears three times on each Compu-toon

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

dismas posted:

I just noticed Boyce's name appears three times on each Compu-toon

like a HAWK

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Heathcliff

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

SomeMathGuy posted:

Pearls Before Swine

I enjoy bad puns, but sometimes Pastis pushes it. I think it's also a creative crutch of his he goes to too much.

F Minus

Mary Worth

"Let me just look this up in my big Doctor Book here."

Rex Morgan MD

Secret Agent X-9

Apartment 3-G

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

I want to say "you complained relentlessly the entire time! :argh:" and also point out that this is nearing the nadir of it's diversionary social politics, and yet, it is technically a step in the right direction by the incredibly low standards of Intelligent Life.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Aardmania posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

I look forward to the ridiculously short Chinese man coming down from his "normal human" sized chair, showing off his enormous buck teeth, and ranting about how much he rikey flied lice.

By that I mean, gently caress YOU BROOKE YOU RACIST HACK poo poo

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Just get someone else to take over his case, if you're so concerned.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Dewgy posted:

I look forward to the ridiculously short Chinese man coming down from his "normal human" sized chair, showing off his enormous buck teeth, and ranting about how much he rikey flied lice.

I hate having to defend Brooke, but isn't it supposed to be a comically oversized chair to let him loom over Turtleneck Boy?

Not that this arc hasn't been racist in a hundred other subtle and less than subtle ways.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Dewgy posted:

You are projecting so loving hard. Back off the pills a bit, and take a few days of vacation off the internet. There is nothing racist in this. There is nothing "asian" about the dude.
Did you even read the previous strips or did you just feel like having a rant over nothing?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Johnny Aztec posted:

You are projecting so loving hard. Back off the pills a bit, and take a few days of vacation off the internet. There is nothing racist in this. There is nothing "asian" about the dude.
Did you even read the previous strips or did you just feel like having a rant over nothing?

Really? The whole "most honorable parents of the Chinese girl" angle isn't blatant orientalism? I'd love to hear you try to justify that viewpoint.

E: I mean yeah he brought out a smaller chair for whatshisname but he drew what's supposed to be a grown man sitting in that throne like a toddler in an office chair. It's both completely stupid and incredibly racist at the same time.

Dewgy fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Sep 20, 2016

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Green Intern posted:

Just get someone else to take over his case, if you're so concerned.

Its not even their case, he just popped in for Rex to tell him "yeah take your leg to someone that knows how to adjust it, fatty"

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Dewgy posted:

Really? The whole "most honorable parents of the Chinese girl" angle isn't blatant orientalism? I'd love to hear you try to justify that viewpoint.

E: I mean yeah he brought out a smaller chair for whatshisname but he drew what's supposed to be a grown man sitting in that throne like a toddler in an office chair. It's both completely stupid and incredibly racist at the same time.

Nah, gently caress you for making me defend Brook, but you are screeching over nothing.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
I could be wrong, but didn't the chinese celloist not speak English, but she remembered everything said to her and then learned English to confront whoever used to be the main characters of this strip?

So she learned English and now talks like a pretentious blowhard?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Johnny Aztec posted:

Nah, gently caress you for making me defend Brook, but you are screeching over nothing.

Literally everything else in this storyline has been blatantly racist, and this is no different. Nobody's making you defend poo poo.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

Strontium posted:

That is a good loving question.

Celebrity Ghost
Sep 26, 2007

I'm finding it hard to tell if 9CL is racist or not because the Chinese parents talk like literally every other person in this strip. The 'asking for a blessing' could be Orientalism, or it could just be his 200 years-out-of-date idea of good manners. Pretty sure the main nerd asked his girlfriend's mom for her blessing too, and then there's all the stuff with Gulk or the Nazi story where men propose "for her honor".

Brooke's basically has 3 characters: sexually-repressed men, Madonna/Magdalene women, and grumpy old people. The dad here is an over-the-top curmudgeon because he's grandma with a new face.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
Rarebit Fiend (click for huge)

Outbursts of Everett True (July, 1915)

And He Did.

Guess If They Are Married!

Banana Oil!

The Gay Thirties (January 1935)

They’ll Do It Everytime (December 1939)

Mopsy (June, 1940)

wait - is this a race joke, or a dick joke?
EDIT:Oh! or a bad fitting clothes joke?

Feiffer (click for big) (1967)

Jaf

Andy Capp (click for big) (September, 1970)

Mr. Tweedy (September, 1970)

Wee Pals (click for big) (October 1970)

Richard’s Poor Almanac

Dick Tracy (July 2009)

FORESHADOWING

Slammy fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Sep 21, 2016

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Slammy posted:

The Gay Thirties (January 1935)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7hQ-koQMHE

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The Gay Thirties reminds me of Tom Lehrer often.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Welcome home, Pogo. Maybe next time you'll make it to the end of the block. (September 12-13, 1958)

Peanuts: Year Five (May 26-29, 1955)

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set is the gift that keeps on giving.

Working Daze wants to increase productivity.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix can't keep this up anymore.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

The Amazing Spider-Man

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

I'm starting to like this rear end in a top hat.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Fred Basset

Frog Applause

Ginger Meggs

Heart of the City

Moose and Molly

Office Hours

Pickles

Pluggers

Reply All

Ziggy

Zits

Transmodiar posted:

Modesty Blaise
Got to say, Modesty and Willy seem remarkably unconcerned here.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

I used to wonder why people kept making incestual edits of this strip, this kinda makes it obvious now. :/

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Tiggum posted:

Pluggers

He's gently caress that dog.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Man, someone's upset at being called a racist.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Adam Ames

Between Shots

Oh! - tie my hands -

Ella Cinders

Myra North, Special Nurse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Celebrity Ghost posted:

I'm finding it hard to tell if 9CL is racist or not because the Chinese parents talk like literally every other person in this strip. The 'asking for a blessing' could be Orientalism, or it could just be his 200 years-out-of-date idea of good manners. Pretty sure the main nerd asked his girlfriend's mom for her blessing too, and then there's all the stuff with Gulk or the Nazi story where men propose "for her honor".

Brooke's basically has 3 characters: sexually-repressed men, Madonna/Magdalene women, and grumpy old people. The dad here is an over-the-top curmudgeon because he's grandma with a new face.

You forgot the other Brooke archetype: Obtuse Weirdo in Glasses who Claims to Be an Alien

• Locked thread