Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

CascadeBeta posted:

What are the odds that if the first debate goes extremely badly for Trump, he skips the remainder (citing biased moderators or whatever)?

I think it's more likely he finds a reason to skip the rest if he does well at the first one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

High.

Also, if you look at Monmouth's actual report on the Florida poll, only 24% of respondents actually believed Trump's dumb Birther non-apology. The Birther thing has also hurt him a little, even among whites, according to their results.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Radio Lab is cool shut your loving face

Also the guy from Snap Judgement owns

Look at this guy who hasn't listened to Invisibilia aka Radiolab but worse

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Antti posted:

Remember when Trump said there are entire districts of Paris where the police don't dare go?

I do not!

I mean Montmartre isn't great but the French police do not gently caress around with crimes bigger than pick-pocketing or purse snatching. So uh, yeah, I dunno what he's banging on about. :raise:

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

New Latino decisions national poll of Latinos puts Trump on par with Romney for % of the Latino vote. That's not a great percentage, but it seems that Trump has been effectively "normalized" and is not especially weak among Latinos.

He hasn't been hitting on the "Mexicans are rapists" drum of late, so people have forgotten.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Deified Data posted:

The kind of women who would even consider voting for Trump probably don't care if they're condescended to. Worst case they prefer it.

Probably an overreach but blame it on my girlfriend's mom who believes women are too stupid to vote.

A majority of white women support Trump. I'm not sure it is fair to say that roughly 44% of all women and a majority of white women want to be condescended to.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Night10194 posted:

High.

Also, if you look at Monmouth's actual report on the Florida poll, only 24% of respondents actually believed Trump's dumb Birther non-apology. The Birther thing has also hurt him a little, even among whites, according to their results.

Of course it did, Trump made the one mistake he can't afford to make: loving with Obama.

He seems to have forgotten how torched he got last time he pulled that poo poo. "Yo dawg, check out that long form. Bet you feel dumb now, hm? Oh btw I got Osama, get hosed conservatives. :smug: "

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Goatman Sacks posted:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/778238281196662784

Trump being a condescending rear end, guess he got his phone back.

https://twitter.com/mitchellreports/status/778251065242357760

Andrea Mitchell also needs to be sent to a gulag.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

iospace posted:

So the Skittles dogwhistle is older than we think:
https://twitter.com/lhfang/status/778276638366720000

That's based on an article in The Intercept and, no offense meant to you iospace, a really lovely analogy. Just like every Intercept article, it stretches the truth to the breaking point to make it seem like more is there.

quote:

Trump’s tweet has clear parallels to Streicher’s children’s book, where a boy named Franz learns about the Jews from his mother:

“However they disguise themselves, or however friendly they try to be, affirming a thousand times their good intentions to us, one must not believe them. Jews they are and Jews they remain. For our Volk they are poison.”

“Like the poisonous mushroom!” says Franz.

“Yes, my child! Just as a single poisonous mushrooms can kill a whole family, so a solitary Jew can destroy a whole village, a whole city, even an entire Volk [nation].”

gently caress The Intercept.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

http://www.monmouth.edu/polling-institute/reports/MonmouthPoll_FL_092016/

Honestly, the answers they got are really interesting. Like Clinton being just slightly ahead on 'trust to deal with immigration.'

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

CascadeBeta posted:

:psyduck:

That's just wrong, right? Like as far as I know from my friends across the pond, they haven't said anything about any sort of upturn in crime, let alone rape, and definitely not by Muslims. Where are they getting this from? Are they just making poo poo up?
The Rotherham Abuse Scandal is what this sort of insanity is based on, just somehow extrapolated into 'the whole country' and 'all Pakistani men everywhere'.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Lightning Knight posted:

:psyduck: what the gently caress?

Was it an English only poll?

I kind of wonder if that's the same Hispanic interest poll that called me the other day.

Edit: I can't stop. Won't stop. Must. Read. Political news. :negative:

It was english and spanish.

Obama was +44 among hispanics in 2012, Hillary is currently +49.

Trump has about 80% disapproval among latinos. So, there are still a big chunk of latinos who don't like him, but are voting for him anyway.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
https://twitter.com/sinderbrand/status/778278621257531392

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Trump has about 80% disapproval among latinos. So, there are still a big chunk of latinos who don't like him, but are voting for him anyway.

That's... So depressing.

I haven't felt this defeated about politics in years. :negative:

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

CascadeBeta posted:

What are the odds that if the first debate goes extremely badly for Trump, he skips the remainder (citing biased moderators or whatever)?

Whether it goes well or poorly (it'll go poorly but the narrative will be it went very well), Trump is under no obligation nor does he have any reason to debate Hillary Clinton. He's got his bases covered either way. If it goes poorly he can spin the moderator bias narrative and people will eat it up since he's the outsider underdog versus the establishment, and if it goes well he can do the same thing but come out of it on a high note. The debates will be a poo poo show.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Lightning Knight posted:

That's... So depressing.

I haven't felt this defeated about politics in years. :negative:

I mean... Trump is not doing well among Latinos. He's just doing "generic republican" instead of uniquely disastrous.

So, not good news, but not terrible news either.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Lightning Knight posted:

Of course it did, Trump made the one mistake he can't afford to make: loving with Obama.

He seems to have forgotten how torched he got last time he pulled that poo poo. "Yo dawg, check out that long form. Bet you feel dumb now, hm? Oh btw I got Osama, get hosed conservatives. :smug: "

And Obama will torch the poo poo out of him. If you thought Obama hated Romney, well...

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

I mean... Trump is not doing well among Latinos. He's just doing "generic republican" instead of uniquely disastrous.

So, not good news, but not terrible news either.

He's the most openly racist candidate against Hispanics in modern history and he's polling at generic Republican levels? What the gently caress?! Black people managed to dumpster their numbers for Trump, why can't we? This is why I'm terrified of Hispanics being co-opted by Republicans. :smith:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

smg77 posted:

Hahaha, that's some thirsty poo poo right there.

It reminds me of when there's an ongoing shooting or something and people are tweeting photos and video from the scene, and all their replies are journalists going "Hey, I know you're huddled in a closet, but can I get permission real quick to publish your photos?"

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

I know a few guys who wholeheartedly believe people at the border should be shot on sight and that gun ownership is the most important right they got when they became citizens. I think a lot of latinos are on the FYGM train when it comes to immigration.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Isn't Ted Cruz technically (but only technically) Hispanic? Maybe it's just people like him.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

A lovely Reporter posted:

Isn't Ted Cruz technically (but only technically) hispanic?

And Canadian.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Chokes McGee posted:

I do not!

I mean Montmartre isn't great but the French police do not gently caress around with crimes bigger than pick-pocketing or purse snatching. So uh, yeah, I dunno what he's banging on about. :raise:

Islamophobes want to construct a narrative of a Europe/West that's being overrun by brown people hordes, and they have a pseudointellectual streak where they write "papers" and "essays" using nonsense arguments and distorted or outright invented data to support their argument. "Muslims have taken over entire swathes of Paris and London! We can't allow that to happen to us too!" is a white nationalist trope, and Trump repeated it verbatim late in 2015.

This has been pushed for years, way before the refugee situation picked up over a year ago.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

+49 means that it's roughly 74.5/25.5 HRC/DJT. While there's a 6% overlap of disapprove but vote for there, it's hardly a big chunk.

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde

smg77 posted:

Wow what a hacky, self-serving thing to tweet. I always thought she was OK, but I think I was grossly incorrect.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Lightning Knight posted:

He's the most openly racist candidate against Hispanics in modern history and he's polling at generic Republican levels? What the gently caress?! Black people managed to dumpster their numbers for Trump, why can't we? This is why I'm terrified of Hispanics being co-opted by Republicans. :smith:

It would be the easiest thing in the world to court Hispanics by appealing to their faith and dropping immigration - rest assured that if it hasn't happened already it's because they're unable, not because they haven't thought about it.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

On Terra Firma posted:

I know a few guys who wholeheartedly believe people at the border should be shot on sight and that gun ownership is the most important right they got when they became citizens. I think a lot of latinos are on the FYGM train when it comes to immigration.

Also, there is this phenomena of people from different Hispanic countries hating each other. My Grandma has weird issues about Mexicans and my Great-Grandma basically held sheer disdain for any Hispanic not from Panama like her. I mean, if you talk poo poo about Mexicans, you can get non-Mexican Hispanics in your corner some of the time.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Lightning Knight posted:

A reminder: Romney's numbers with Latinos were bad enough that the official prognosis was 'We need to improve these or we're dead.'

And he's still doing worse than Romney, just not at 'fire him into the sun' levels like he is among Blacks.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Lightning Knight posted:

The latino/Hispanic community is incredibly diverse and the only reason people (liberals and Republicans alike) treat it as a "thing" or a "bloc" is because they're kinda racist

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
^^^^^ I'm hispanic and I don't understand it, also diversity is a dumb loving excuse in the face of open bigotry for a entire selection of people ^^^^^

I can't believe my hispanic brethren are that loving stupid this election cycle. If Trump gets the same amount of hispanic support Romney got in 2012 we deserve that border wall.

BetterToRuleInHell fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Sep 20, 2016

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

KiteAuraan posted:

Also, there is this phenomena of people from different Hispanic countries hating each other. My Grandma has weird issues about Mexicans and my Great-Grandma basically held sheer disdain for any Hispanic not from Panama like her. I mean, if you talk poo poo about Mexicans, you can get non-Mexican Hispanics in your corner some of the time.

This kind of makes sense, in the same way that Japanese/Chinese/Korean people hating each other makes sense. Just because they may appear to be the same to outsiders doesn't mean they aren't very different in practice and have weird, convoluted, hateful histories and baggage with each other.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

KiteAuraan posted:

Turns out minorities can be racist too

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

El Mero Mero posted:

The latino/Hispanic community is incredibly diverse and the only reason people (liberals and Republicans alike) treat it as a "thing" or a "bloc" is because they're kinda racist

excuse me catholicism is a religion not a race

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Meanwhile, PPP comes out with a poll that pretty much dunks on Ryan:
https://twitter.com/ppppolls/status/778285001406312449

gently caress you I'm not going to analyze this one.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Business Gorillas posted:

Turns out minorities can be racist too

Tell me more about reverse racism. :allears:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

iospace posted:

Meanwhile, PPP comes out with a poll that pretty much dunks on Ryan:
https://twitter.com/ppppolls/status/778285001406312449

gently caress you I'm not going to analyze this one.

This information also means the Dems need to get to informing people about the changes the GOP wants to make to these programs if they win.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I can't let a NPR discussion pass without pointing out that Says You is literally the worst thing created by man

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

fishmech posted:

I don't think that's what he was saying

Geoff Peterson
Jan 1, 2012

by exmarx

El Mero Mero posted:

Right? and don't get me started on the ageist pricks who say Hillary had a problem with "youth" during the primaries! Or the sexist fucks who treat men as a bloc? And the classist assholes who think that people's voting behavior has anything to do with their income levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

fishmech posted:

Some Hispanics can find Trump's anti-Muslim message appealing despite his anti-Latino message too; maybe they think he means "the bad ones." There are plenty examples to show that stupidity does not look at ethnicity.

• Locked thread