Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

iospace posted:

Meanwhile, PPP comes out with a poll that pretty much dunks on Ryan:
https://twitter.com/ppppolls/status/778285001406312449

gently caress you I'm not going to analyze this one.

hahahaha what the gently caress, people are still advocating privatizing social security?

you'd think that 2008 would have shown that that was a really bad idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

In other news, direct tweet from Hillary time:
https://twitter.com/HillaryClinton/status/778286389448339457

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Instant Sunrise posted:

hahahaha what the gently caress, people are still advocating privatizing social security?

I mean, the entire Republican ethos is built around using social conservatism and racism as a smoke screen to cover the efforts of corporate raiders to privatize, loot, and obliterate government programs for their own corrupt enrichment. So yeah, they're still trying to convince people how great an idea that is.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Instant Sunrise posted:

This is the same GOP that said it needed to pass immigration reform /yesterday/ in 2012.

You can figure out what happened.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Instant Sunrise posted:

Well, is the Republican Party still active in politics? Are the Kochs still breathing?

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010
Elizabeth Warren with some good stuff re: Wells Fargo:

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2016/09/sen-elizabeth-warren-tears-wells-fargo-ceo-john-stumpf

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

This man will continue to be far more powerful and influential than Warren, and will see no negative consequences from this.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Instant Sunrise posted:

We are in a nation where Trump is taken seriously. Worshipping big business is bigger than ever.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Lightning Knight posted:

This kind of makes sense, in the same way that Japanese/Chinese/Korean people hating each other makes sense. Just because they may appear to be the same to outsiders doesn't mean they aren't very different in practice and have weird, convoluted, hateful histories and baggage with each other.

Honestly it seems to be a hold over from the Spanish. Basically the more Spanish a group perceives themselves the better they are than those they perceive as "less" Spanish. Except your group is always The Most Spanish and everyone else is less and less Spanish, with like, Mexico and Puerto Rico seemingly the most poo poo on. Some stupid casta holdover poo poo basically.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Has she ever addressed any of the shootings directly like this?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Man ask some African Black people about American Black people and vice versa and you can get some amazing responses.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Everyone is insufferable.

Trump 2016

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

On Terra Firma posted:

Not a shooting but I'm positive she called out Sandra Bland's case by name, and Rice was directly talked about. Plus she's been involved with groups like...I wanna say the one started by Trayvon's mom? She's been very involved in this issue directly.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

On Terra Firma posted:

She met with Tamir Rice's mother.

Also, all those relatives of police shooting victims had an thing at the convention, so I'm sure she's been involved with their group.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Everyone is insufferable.

Trump 2016

If we're voting for the Most Insufferable Leader it really should be Stein 2016 shouldn't it?

I mean Stein is closer to my politics but she is infinitely more insufferable.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Let's watch the media equate this with Trump's latest tirade under the ever-popular "race politics" label.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
_________________/

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

theflyingorc posted:

I don't think that's what he was saying

hi you're arguing with fishmech

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Dexo posted:

Man ask some African Black people about American Black people and vice versa and you can get some amazing responses.

Could you list some typical responses/interactions?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

You say that as if this is a change. "Filthy savages are raping our white women" has been their battle cry since the beginning.

Lightning Knight posted:

I mean, the entire Republican ethos is built around using social conservatism and racism as a smoke screen to cover the efforts of corporate raiders to privatize, loot, and obliterate government programs for their own corrupt enrichment. So yeah, they're still trying to convince people how great an idea that is.

Yup. Trump has been upping the corporate raiding promise, so he's had to ramp up the racism to compensate so his followers fight for rich people screwing them so long as brown people get screwed harder more than ever.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Geostomp posted:

You say that as if this is a change. "Filthy savages are raping our white women" has been their battle cry since the beginning.

It isn't so much the content as the return of it being so brazen and open.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

fits my needs posted:

Could you list some typical responses/interactions?

USPol August.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Dexo posted:

yeah it can be...weird listening to an american black man talk about how all the somalians coming over get big government money and stipends

i didn't really know what to say (so i just said huh interesting and went back to work)

Cthulhumatic
May 21, 2007
Not dreaming...just turned off.
I like that Trump and his Breitbart handlers are like "Hmmm, where should we take inspiration from for our immigration policies?"

*eyes are drawn to signed copy of Mein Kampf on bookshelf, next to human-skin lamp*

"OF COURSE!"

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Cthulhumatic posted:

I like that Trump and his Breitbart handlers are like "Hmmm, where should we take inspiration from for our immigration policies?"

*eyes are drawn to signed copy of Mein Kampf on bookshelf, next to human-skin lamp*

"OF COURSE!"

They're not cool enough to have a human skin lamp.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Cthulhumatic posted:

"OF COURSE!"
"Don Junior recommended this A. Wyatt Man fellow to do some campaign art. Now that sounds like a name I can trust!"

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
Super interesting NYT article out today on the importance of sample adjusting and why polls can seem so crazy. Very good read if you're not familiar with exactly how all the behind-the-scenes weighting stuff happens.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/09/20/upshot/the-error-the-polling-world-rarely-talks-about.html

Hopefully a takeaway from this isn't "all polls are trash," because they're not, but there's a lot of room for interpretation even in raw data.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Remember, some people have convinced themselves that trump only has a problem with illegal (non white) immigrants, not all (non white) immigrants.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Since news about the Trump charity might be gearing up, add this story from yesterday in The Daily Beast to the mix, It's not as in depth as the WaPo stuff but, it's a nice roundup of how the Trump camp is getting nervous.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Aerox posted:

Super interesting NYT article out today on the importance of sample adjusting and why polls can seem so crazy. Very good read if you're not familiar with exactly how all the behind-the-scenes weighting stuff happens.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/09/20/upshot/the-error-the-polling-world-rarely-talks-about.html

Hopefully a takeaway from this isn't "all polls are trash," because they're not, but there's a lot of room for interpretation even in raw data.
Yeah, this was a good read and I had no idea just how much manipulation of the raw data took place. One of the main takeaways from that is that higher turnout models favor Hillary, and more conservative (mathematically speaking) models favor Trump. Not exactly news for anyone who posts here, but it's interesting to get exact numbers on that, and it's good news for anyone hoping for an advantage from Hillary's GOTV.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

WampaLord posted:

He would win with 90% of the vote.

"Mr. Johnson, what is your position on gun control?"

"You can't control these guns!" *flexes, approval ratings shoot to record highs*

It doesn't matter what your gender is!!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

radical meme posted:

Since news about the Trump charity might be gearing up, add this story from yesterday in The Daily Beast to the mix, It's not as in depth as the WaPo stuff but, it's a nice roundup of how the Trump camp is getting nervous.

While I absolutely know it wouldn't happen, him going to prison over his 'charity' after he loses would be the absolute icing on the cake.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Geostomp posted:

Found a sneak preview of Jr.'s next tweet:

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Another conspiracy theory has hit the health narrative

http://www.theamericanmirror.com/mystery-going-hillarys-eyes-philly-speech/

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Night10194 posted:

While I absolutely know it wouldn't happen, him going to prison over his 'charity' after he loses would be the absolute icing on the cake.

I don't think these are prison crimes, but this story spinning up also means the media gets another shot at the Bondi bribe, which would be like impossible to prove but might be a prison crime.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
By the way - that "dead even in Maine" poll from earlier came from the Maine People's Resource Center. I don't want to denigrate the good people of the MPRC, but they're likely to not have the methodology/resources of a larger polling firm, so I wouldn't put TOO much stock in them.

They have a C rating on 538.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

theflyingorc posted:

By the way - that "dead even in Maine" poll from earlier came from the Maine People's Resource Center. I don't want to denigrate the good people of the MPRC, but they're likely to not have the methodology/resources of a larger polling firm, so I wouldn't put TOO much stock in them.

They have a C rating on 538.

Yeah, it's why I think Wisconsin is blessed to have Marquette. We'll occasionally get other people polling here, but Marquette is definitely one of the best in terms of state specific polling groups.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Cthulhumatic posted:

"OF COURSE!"

Periodical reminder that Ivana Trump has said he kept a book of Hitler's speeches on his nightstand.

I know so goddamn much horrible trivia about Trump, it's amazing. I feel like I should use this power for something good.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Antti posted:

Periodical reminder that Ivana Trump has said he kept a book of Hitler's speeches on his nightstand.

Yeah but he also doesn't read so we're safe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

On Terra Firma posted:

She had 4 mothers for the most high profile police killing black kid cases speak at the DNC and IIRC she personally has met with all of them.

It's one of those things that's easy to miss since she doesn't brag about that sort of thing at all and you actually have to pay attention to see that she actually does give quite a lot of fucks about it.

• Locked thread