Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
WASTED crossover when

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

Crabtree posted:

No Mercy Remake.

ohpleasepleasepleasepleaseplease :pray:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Tournament build trip report:

I played through Hoxbreak 2 ("the search") on very hard. On that difficulty, enemies had about as much health as they would on overkill, except bulldozers, who had substantially more. Also, enemy spawn limits appeared to be raised substantially.
  • The ceiling spawnpoints in the control room blow open immediately, and it looks like new ones were added that open during the heist.
  • Dozers speedwalk at about twice their normal speed. They do appear to be immune to stun.
  • Corridors that aren't objectives (the archives, forensics, all but the needed IT office) are gone. This has the effect of concentrating enemies on your location.
  • No keycards.
  • The director's office is locked, and its windows are covered with shields, until you get the director's office task. When you drill the door open, the shields raise.
  • There are at least some added scripted spawns, but corpse delimiter was on for some reason, so everything was easier than it should have been.

I only got through part of Slaughterhouse before my game crashed, but it had a ton more murkies, and I think their convoy was bulletproof. The turret spawned, which may have caused the crash- that or it was securing the first bag of gold.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Sep 19, 2016

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
What's this ban list I keep hearing about in their dumb steam forums?

YET ANOTHER FAG
Mar 6, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Crabtree posted:

What's this ban list I keep hearing about in their dumb steam forums?

Afaik you can now permanently ban players from joining your game, somewhere in the options. I'm not sure specifically how it works, probably based off steam ID so people can't just change their username but then again.. overkill.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Does it prevent you from joining a banned player's lobby or is it strictly designed to keep nerds out of games you host? Like, if you tracked down Tribe's steamid could you mash "quick play" without worrying about joining his lobby?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Grab bag of info here:
  • The banlist apparently has a big problem right now: it's wiped every time you finish a session.

• If you want to see the creme de la creme of steam forums stupidity, I present: The DEV Feedback thread! Every bad idea and entitled complaint on the official forums, concentrated in one place!

• Fun Bug Tiem: Sentries eviscerate titandozers. Since they go for headshots, they target a tiny leftover crit hitbox (near the dozer's mouth) that's nigh-impossible for human players to reliably hit.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Sep 18, 2016

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Discendo Vox posted:

[*]There are at least some added scripted spawns, but corpse delimiter was added for some reason, so everything was easier than it should have been.

I don't use corpse delimiter, what's the correlation between that and making the heist easier?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Geight posted:

I don't use corpse delimiter, what's the correlation between that and making the heist easier?

The game spawns people based on your FPS; shittier FPS, less spawns.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Grapplejack posted:

The game spawns people based on your FPS; shittier FPS, less spawns.

This, plus it also slows down their pathing and AI overall. This is part of why national guard response isn't that fun- enemies tend to just stand in place a lot of the time.

edit: Gah, there's such exciting stuff in the/my pipe, but I can't talk about it.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Sep 19, 2016

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
What IS fun about it is running over one cop, only to be met with a trillion cops bursting out of their host. And then having every cop on the map focus on you because their AI stopped overflowing

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Laputanmachine posted:

ohpleasepleasepleasepleaseplease :pray:

This but only if it's a Vlad heist because of course it would be some Vlad poo poo.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Discendo Vox posted:

This, plus it also slows down their pathing and AI overall. This is part of why national guard response isn't that fun- enemies tend to just stand in place a lot of the time.

edit: Gah, there's such exciting stuff in the/my pipe, but I can't talk about it.

Pretty sure that stuff is host dependent anyway, so if you want extra easy Deathwish pick the guy with the shittiest computer to host. And it's not like dead bodies are clogging up the spawns for other cops. I thought you were going to say something about how Underdog counts dead bodies the same as living ones for its bonuses :v:

Here's a fun one that will make even Vox shake his head in shame: "How much health a freaking dozer have in payday tournament have?", someone asks. After people dogpile in to tell him how much health a regular bulldozer has, it turns into a contest to see who can have the worst ideas for raising the game's difficulty, to the point where I just want to tell them to reinstall PD:TH for 145+ because that's exactly what it sounds like they want.

UnknownMercenary fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Sep 19, 2016

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If you have a good computer it takes about 500-1000 corpses at one spot (Santa's workshop) to hit frame rate issues. On a map like Rats the total number for corpses required to have the same effect is near 3000. Otherwise the corpse delimiter has little impact for sufficiently powerful computers on any map that isn't running a marathon.

Wastrel_
Jun 3, 2004

Read it and weep.
Much of the time, the people demanding that the game become more difficult on the Steam forums are people with about 5 of the DW heist achievements, and none on the long, loud-only heists. Bonus if, when called out about it, they claim that this is because they can't be bothered to play as DW is currently 'baby mode'. Some of them don't want dozers to be stunned, want them to run, and want them to shrug off RPG rounds. They appear to lose sight of the fact that the game actually still has to remain winnable in some way.

PD:TH dozers weren't even all that difficult to take down, even on OK 145+, even though they ran and there was no RPG or stun function in the game. Take the first shot from them - which is coded to only break your armour, and not touch your health - then unload a full mag into the faceplate. That or break the faceplate, duck behind cover to avoid the second shot, reload, then finish the dozer off. The real reasons that OK 145+ was difficult was the hordes of Heavy Swat, the fact that cloaker downs, aside from sapping your health, also counted towards your total of 3 downs before custody - which isn't the case in Payday 2 - and the ridiculously tight escape timer on most maps (I remember finishing Counterfeit at the literal last second before the timer ran out).

Wastrel_ fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Sep 19, 2016

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

Discendo Vox posted:

If you use NGR on Hoxvenge, cops never enter the house.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I've only played like once since about the time of the Hardcore Henry DLC, can someone give me a quick summary of what I've missed?

Basticle fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Sep 19, 2016

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Basticle posted:

I've only played like once since about the time of the Hardcore Henry DLC, can someone give me a quick summary of what I've missed?

We got an endearing yet annoying Australian lady on the crew with her kickass perk deck and LMG/Assault Rifle hybrid, Ron Perlman joined the fun in the form of Human Ghost Rider but with a shotgun in addition to the chain whip, and he helped the gang rob a moving train

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Basticle posted:

They re-did the skill tree recently and it is baller compared to how it was. Now you can go change skills without paying or anything, you can just go to your skill trees and change them around at will. Other than that the game is a ton of fun; every gun except the Chicago Typewriter can be made to be at least respectable and just about any build is OVK viable. I guess Dodge got nerfed but I dont know specifics.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You forgot the JP36, that still sucks even when including silencers.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
What the heck? The typewriter is good.

Iron Chef Ramen
Sep 15, 2007

HA HA! YOU HAVE CHOSEN POORLY!
I would like to aggressively click police with Goons and would like an invite.

https://steamcommunity.com/id/ironcheframen/

It's been a while and I have no idea what's going on.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Dr Cheeto posted:

What the heck? The typewriter is good.
Hell it's one of the weapons that came out ahead in the rebalance. Old Typewriter was way worse than current Typewriter. Same with the JP36, that gun is pretty serviceable now.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

I'll agree that the Typewriter isn't a good gun - it's pretty heavily restrained by the lack of any good mods to tweak the baseline. And that baseline is drat mediocre. It is much improved over what it used to be, though, so it can be serviceable.

Really, the only guns I can think of that have no redeeming qualities are the Patchett, the Broomstick and maybe some of the bows. Oh, and any time you use the Saw as a weapon. Hell, I've been REALLY digging the Commando lately and it used to only be good for level 0 runs.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

My friends and I put over 800 hours into this game and each of us kind of drifted away from it for various reasons but personally for me I was getting bored of it (finally) because if you were level 100 and used one of the pro tier perk decks the game was retardedly easy even on Deathwish. Is this still the case?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Iron Chef Ramen posted:

I would like to aggressively click police with Goons and would like an invite.

https://steamcommunity.com/id/ironcheframen/

It's been a while and I have no idea what's going on.

Invite sent.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I get that the Typewriter is strictly inferior to the Kobus but lol if you think a 50 mag/40 dmg/60 acc/80 stab SMG is bad.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Did someone say (not very interesting) new safehouse pics?!?

Wastrel_
Jun 3, 2004

Read it and weep.

Basticle posted:

My friends and I put over 800 hours into this game and each of us kind of drifted away from it for various reasons but personally for me I was getting bored of it (finally) because if you were level 100 and used one of the pro tier perk decks the game was retardedly easy even on Deathwish. Is this still the case?

These days I deliberately run a classic Rogue build to prove wrong all the people who say it's dead because you have neither armour nor health regen.

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON

Dr Cheeto posted:

I get that the Typewriter is strictly inferior to the Kobus but lol if you think a 50 mag/40 dmg/60 acc/80 stab SMG is bad.

It'd probably help if the Typewriter wasn't ugly as sin.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Now you're just trolling

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Dr Cheeto posted:

One of my favorite PD2 memories is still crouching down on the cop car in Rats 3 with a silenced Typewriter (so something like 80 acc/100 stab) and just drilling straight through the bus, killing every single Mendoza in seconds. :allears:

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Bort Bortles posted:

They re-did the skill tree recently and it is baller compared to how it was. Now you can go change skills without paying or anything, you can just go to your skill trees and change them around at will. Other than that the game is a ton of fun; every gun except the Chicago Typewriter can be made to be at least respectable and just about any build is OVK viable. I guess Dodge got nerfed but I dont know specifics.

Dodge only got nerfed in that it is less useful with grinder now, so no regen. Overall, it is still very viable

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
What's the best (or even "a good") build and perk deck for new players to work towards? Most of the stuff online assumes you have every mod available, are level 100, and have multiple levels of infamy, which isn't much help when advising folks who are level 50.

swims
May 5, 2014

Waiter, this band keeps shooting pearls at me.
For a beginner I would probably recommend the muscle perk deck.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Muscle is a good all-rounder for waddling around in CTV/ICTV. It's dead simple and requires no real adjustment by the player while giving them a good deal of EHP and completely passive health regen.

I don't use vests or suits much but Grinder seems like a good call for light armor with few or no skills. I don't have a good suit/light armor recommendation, sorry!

Dr Cheeto fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Sep 20, 2016

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Yeah, Muscle and a heavy build (mostly Enforcer skills) towards ICTV would be a good starting point - lots of armor, low general investment for the really necessary skills and it's fairly forgiving while you get a better feel for the game. I mostly use dodge builds, so while I could whip something together I'm sure someone else can do a better job of it.

Dr Cheeto posted:

Muscle is a good all-rounder for waddling around in CTV/ICTV. It's dead simple and requires no real adjustment by the player while giving them a good deal of EHP and completely passive health regen.

I don't use vests or suits much but Grinder seems like a good call for light armor with few or no skills.

Grinder used to be much better - now, you lose the dodge bonus with Grinder unless you're going suit dodge, and it doesn't proc as much so it takes more time to rebuild your health. I use Crook/LBV for my dodge build, but it's very close to requiring V-100 unless you don't mind giving up Inspire. There's also no regen, so it benefits from being FAKs over ammo (which, in turn means it needs to be largely self sufficient from pickups). Don't get me wrong, Grinder is still viable, it's just not as good as it used to be.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Shooting Blanks posted:

Grinder used to be much better - now, you lose the dodge bonus with Grinder unless you're going suit dodge, and it doesn't proc as much so it takes more time to rebuild your health. I use Crook/LBV for my dodge build, but it's very close to requiring V-100 unless you don't mind giving up Inspire. There's also no regen, so it benefits from being FAKs over ammo (which, in turn means it needs to be largely self sufficient from pickups). Don't get me wrong, Grinder is still viable, it's just not as good as it used to be.

I figured that the kind of player who needs advice on what perk decks to invest in is probably looking at mostly Overkill difficulty and needed a deck with health regen that is either passive or merely contingent on doing normal heisting things and some additional durability. Grinder felt like a natural choice for light armor but given that it's DLC and not nearly as good as it used to be do you think Ex-President would be a good pick?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
In my opinion, ex-president is the best deck for suit builds right now, but I'm not sure on that for a new player. It tends to reward you more the better you are, and for a new player that's pretty unfair. Not to say it couldn't work, because it could, because it is good. But it requires more active management than a passive EHP buff like Muscle.

For someone starting out, I'd suggest Muscle/ICTV. It's forgiving and there are a lot of valuable skills you pick up on the way to unlocking ICTV, so it's a good idea in lots of ways. It's also a very powerful combination even on Deathwish, so it's not like armor is the newbie option and dodge is the pro option - not at all.

Psion fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Sep 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

Did someone say (not very interesting) new safehouse pics?!?

I know it's just a reused photo but I appreciate the nod to the secret in Undercover.