Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Barometer posted:

I like that it isn't impossible to find suits and fusion cores

that's one way of putting it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Barometer posted:

All the customization stuff really is great, putting in jetpacks was an awesome addition to the game with searching the sandbox.

Yeah, on my first character I didn't use Power Armor for much beyond settlement decoration and souping a set up for a trip into the Glowing Sea, but on my current character I'm all but pretending the game lets you clear it as an Atom Cat - working on building up my own Red Rocket garage, collecting and displaying parts and paint jobs, and staying armored up a lot more often. I'm not the greatest fan of the power armor HUD itself, but I've gotten used to it, and I do like how deeply they committed to making sure nobody on either side of the armor would ever mistake it for a giant ugly shirt.

I'm also doing a lot more with Strength/Melee than I did on my first character and charging into enemies in full Shark T-60 with a vicious-looking baseball bat is a delight (I know one of the Strength-boosting paintjobs would probably be more ideal but shut up I'm a shark).

E:

Mendrian posted:

Power armor used to be shorthand for 'late game armor'; now it's supposed to be a playstyle choice along side 'melee or ranged' and it feels a little strange there.

This explains how power armor feels in FO4 vs. the other games really well, though (as is probably evident from the rest of my post) personally I think it's a good approach. I do wish it felt a little less common and disposable, so that you're more encouraged to find, fix up, tune and generally invest yourself in "your" set of power armor a bit more.

Johnny Landmine fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Sep 20, 2016

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

I think the power armors were very nicely done. They integrate with the world very well and they are a treat to use if you perk them right. Find a couple of legendary bits and bobs, and you can utterly change the game. I found two legs that half the cost of sprinting AP, which I fit with overdrives. Using the Pain Train perk, I can basically charge into a group of enemies and stomp them all to death. The rocket pack also lets me drop in on them with a little death from above action, reliving my Mechwarrior glory days of crushing cockpits while falling over. :v:

It's really the best way to melee.

My only issue with them is that they aren't more customizable - especially the X01 ("post-war" tech). I would straight up marry Father's lifeless corpse and spread death and destruction on the overworld if the Institute would give you neat power armor tech toys.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

The character I buckled down and beat the game with was a high Cha/Int, science-y BoS-aligned power armor guy. The only offensive perk I kept up on was Rifleman, and even then I picked them 5-10 ranks behind when they became available. It didn't matter - with Nuclear Physicist you never have to leave the suit except to craft and access some terminals, and with Armorer and Science! maxed out, the top upgrades you can craft make you nigh invincible. poo poo, somehow I'm level 45 and I've never found X-01 armor with this guy - just T60 (with the Tesla pieces from Automatron, I'm like a walking, armored Christmas tree now) - and I still walk through everything nearly unscathed with the F-level armor upgrades.

It's hard playing other characters without it, I miss the jet pack.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Arsten posted:

My only issue with them is that they aren't more customizable - especially the X01 ("post-war" tech). I would straight up marry Father's lifeless corpse and spread death and destruction on the overworld if the Institute would give you neat power armor tech toys.

They really needed to make the Paint and Armor Plating as separate mod types. Why can't I paint the Minutemen/BoS logo on my armor on top of the lead lining?

Also, arm piece mods that do literally anything other than add effects to your bash attacks, which I never used because half the time I'd throw a grenade at the guy in front of me instead :doh:

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

This is why armchair game deving is terrible, it will try and reason the fun out of anything and everything with an iron grip.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

botany posted:

am i really the only person who actively dislikes power armor?

I wasn't too big a fan for a while, but then i got the single best mod on the nexus.
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/5165/

I think they should have restricted some weapons to power armor and some weapons to out of power armor.

Like, how the hell am i using a pistol with giant metal hands? And how the hell am I carrying a minigun?
Or at least let it effect accuracy, like how third person power armor changes how some melee weapons are swung.

Then there's really 3 playstiles(6 if you include the choice of melee vs range)
Sneak, Tactical, Heavy.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Nasgate posted:

Or at least let it effect accuracy, like how third person power armor changes how some melee weapons are swung.

I didn't know about this until very recently. The first time I went into VATS to hit a Mirelurk Hatchling with my baseball bat, only to have my PC just stomp it flat with a power armored foot, I nearly hollered.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

...! posted:

For terminals, you only have to get out of the power armor if you have to sit in a chair to access that particular terminal.
As opposed to, you know... moving the loving chair. Hell, in power armor you'd be able to add a new artificial satellite into Low Earth Orbit.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

...! posted:

For terminals, you only have to get out of the power armor if you have to sit in a chair to access that particular terminal.

Or if the game decides you can't use the terminal because go gently caress yourself.

Had plenty of terminals in the middle of nice, clear spaces yell at me for wearing PA and a lot of chair-bound terminals just not give a poo poo and shuffle me over neatly.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

That happens to me often with terminals, and I don't wear power armor.

If it's just a collision issue, on PC you can open console (~) and type "tcl" to disable collision. Repeat when you're done with the terminal to turn collision back on (or don't, and fly around like a ghost). This is mandatory knowledge for the last few Fallout and Elder Scrolls games, because getting stuck in terrain is inevitable.

Tip if you haven't used their console before: clicking on things adds the item ID to the top center of the console. This lets you use other commands on a targeted item. Clicking the item again deselects it and clears the item ID, which is mandatory for the tcl command to work on your character as described above. So be careful clicking on stuff.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
The game sometimes has issues 'snapping' the player to certian things, like terminals, both inside and outside of power armour. In my experience you'll just dance around it for a moment before finding the sweet spot. If, for whatever reason, the game can't then you'll just stop and stand there but you can walk way. I've never come across something I couldn't outright use becusse it was inaccessible in the world. Though I do remember a couple of times where it would eject me in to nearby furniture and terrain and I'd have to use the console to free myself.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Psychotic Weasel posted:

The game sometimes has issues 'snapping' the player to certian things, like terminals, both inside and outside of power armour. In my experience you'll just dance around it for a moment before finding the sweet spot. If, for whatever reason, the game can't then you'll just stop and stand there but you can walk way. I've never come across something I couldn't outright use becusse it was inaccessible in the world. Though I do remember a couple of times where it would eject me in to nearby furniture and terrain and I'd have to use the console to free myself.

Everytime it happens to me, the "zoom to terminal" animation gets stuck halfway and the game stops responding to movement commands. Might be related to accessing certain terminals while sneaking.

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost

Nasgate posted:

I wasn't too big a fan for a while, but then i got the single best mod on the nexus.

I think they should have restricted some weapons to power armor and some weapons to out of power armor.

Like, how the hell am i using a pistol with giant metal hands? And how the hell am I carrying a minigun?

Sneak, Tactical, Heavy.

I think this is how it should have been done, too. I don't think it should be totally restrictive, but enough reasons to use certain types when in PA. For example, when out of power armor just holding a large weapon uses AP, so you could use it in a tight spot but your PC would get tired really fast. Also, the large weapons are kind of poor (with the exception of an explosive minigun and fat mans) to the point where I don't really think they are good enough to use over regular guns. Perhaps PA should have some arm mods that increase the damage of the large weapons so they really are the awesome weapons they are meant to be.

TracerM17 fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Sep 20, 2016

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Enigma posted:

That happens to me often with terminals, and I don't wear power armor.

If it's just a collision issue, on PC you can open console (~) and type "tcl" to disable collision. Repeat when you're done with the terminal to turn collision back on (or don't, and fly around like a ghost). This is mandatory knowledge for the last few Fallout and Elder Scrolls games, because getting stuck in terrain is inevitable.

Tip if you haven't used their console before: clicking on things adds the item ID to the top center of the console. This lets you use other commands on a targeted item. Clicking the item again deselects it and clears the item ID, which is mandatory for the tcl command to work on your character as described above. So be careful clicking on stuff.

No, I mean it gives me the 'you can't do that in power armor' message, not that it makes me do a pee-pee dance around the computer. I've had that happen with lots of terminals in wide open spaces where wearing PA shouldn't have been an issue as att, and sometimes i will clip through chairs that I shouldn't be able to without having to hop out of my armor.

Big Black Brony
Jul 11, 2008

Congratulations on Graduation Shnookums.
Love, Mom & Dad
I just got to the part in the BoS quest line where Maxwell orders you to kill Danse and I was pretty bummed. I'm glad he was ok with it though because I was really torn. But I'm glad about that sick promotion.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Magmarashi posted:

One close to the Corvega plant that hangs out on a billboard bridge in the town, and one of the ship midway across the bridge near the CIT ruins

There's the billboard bridge one (with Fat Man, plenty of ammo and the skill level to either pop shots through the girders easily, or own-goal, destroy the suit and ragdoll onto a roof somewhere), plus there's a second one in the same area: across the street from the entrance to the building allowing access to that bridge, at the very top (unless alerted and hunting) of the last building heading.. uh, mostly northwards. (Many levels of fire escape, next to basketball court.)

The one on the barge next to the boat, between CIT and Diamond City, has a tendency to take a long time to respawn - not sure why, but the generic mooks are almost guaranteed to be there in a "standard" period of time, but the buckethead doesn't always show. <shrug>

Anyway, that's three respawning sets of Raider, in varying condition and completeness, and Pickpocketers can amass frames galore. (Snipers, if they can tag the core without killing the driver.) All pretty much along the Road to Mainquest, and available early on.

Add in all the "placed" armors, and the respawning higher-difficulty ones, BoS travelling loot generators patrols and posts and Raider/BoS settlement attacks, and y'all might think there's a secret factory still churning out PA poo poo somewhere. (Maybe Boston Dynamics was swallowed by General Atomics?)

Higher-level characters and more advanced settlements may see Raider PA more often, during random attacks - other than Sanctuary, every settlement that's been hit by Raiders has seen at least one set of PA during an attack, sometimes more, and sometimes recurring. (Spectacle Isle has PA appearing nearly every attack, and in multiples - I looted *five* once.) Oddly enough, although Gunners have some, they don't seem to use them on settlements - the only Gunner PA I've seen have been placed. (Also odd - I've only seen two Gunner Vertibirds the entire game, and one of those got ate up by Super Mutant fire before I could get my shot off.)

In Nuka news, I finally made it back to the park, can't remember why I went, but I found Shank! Last seen at Croup Manor before I began Murderpalooza, I guess he bailed and went back to his old spot by the Market. Even after being looted, the corpse still has his hat and can't be decapitated. :smith: + :unsmigghh: Maybe that means I can finally take Croup back all the way, instead of just killing all the unpowered-but-still-firing turrets and being told there's still enemies. :argh:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Having just now entered the Institute for the first time...there's no way in hell they're going to let me take this sweet, clean place over and rule as a benevolent techno-queen is there?

It's also funny because every time I talk to someone as soon as I'm done listening I'm stuffing my pockets with all this sweet sweet aluminum.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

a kitten posted:

Having just now entered the Institute for the first time...there's no way in hell they're going to let me take this sweet, clean place over and rule as a benevolent techno-queen is there?

It's also funny because every time I talk to someone as soon as I'm done listening I'm stuffing my pockets with all this sweet sweet aluminum.

Yes, actually, but I think that means jack poo poo beyond a new room to stash stuff in. And I guess wandering non-hostile synths start showing up.

e: I say "I think" and "I guess" because I haven't finished the main campaign. I could not give less of a gently caress about the factions in this game and read spoilers hoping there was a compelling but non-obvious reason or some end-game reward (there isn't). Now I want a mod that lets you time warp all four factions (minus Deacon — he's cool) to the glowing sea circa 10/23/2077.

Enigma fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Sep 20, 2016

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

exactly the same as any other faction, except the minutemen which gets you even less - there's repeating sidequests that mean nothing, a couple vendors, a free doctor as if the minor expense mattered, and eventually a new companion.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Nasgate posted:

Sneak, Tactical, Heavy.

Hey we could just use the cool idea from New Vegas where weapons had strength requirements. Oh wait actually lets ignore everything good about New Vegas.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Enigma posted:

e: I say "I think" and "I guess" because I haven't finished the main campaign. I could not give less of a gently caress about the factions in this game and read spoilers hoping there was a compelling but non-obvious reason or some end-game reward (there isn't). Now I want a mod that lets you time warp all four factions (minus Deacon — he's cool) to the glowing sea circa 10/23/2077.

:same:

Right on, I'll just keep on playing by whim then.

Big Black Brony
Jul 11, 2008

Congratulations on Graduation Shnookums.
Love, Mom & Dad
I see raider attacks happen frequently for a lot of you.I've only had one maybe my entire 40+ hrs, is my game budged? Do I need nuka world?

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

spacejew posted:

I see raider attacks happen frequently for a lot of you.I've only had one maybe my entire 40+ hrs, is my game budged? Do I need nuka world?

I have half a dozen settlements and have not had a single attack. I keep decent defenses just in case, but so far they've been purely decorative.

I also read that attackers can spawn within a settlement rather than at the edge of it, which if true is a major bummer. I was hoping to be able to turn my settlements into Orcs Must Die: Fallout Edition.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Having decent defenses is the first step to keeping raider attacks from happening at all. If you've got turrets everywhere to compensate for your water and food output, the farms will get attacked basically never.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Heh, in my main tower base I constructed a huge two-story storage room for all the spare power armor frames I've amassed. It's got room for forty or fifty frames because I know I'll acquire more at some point.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

...! posted:

Heh, in my main tower base I constructed a huge two-story storage room for all the spare power armor frames I've amassed. It's got room for forty or fifty frames because I know I'll acquire more at some point.

It may be vain but being able to make your own museums for all the poo poo you collect is very fun in a strange way.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Speedball posted:

Having decent defenses is the first step to keeping raider attacks from happening at all. If you've got turrets everywhere to compensate for your water and food output, the farms will get attacked basically never.

Well that's dumb. Maybe I should switch to powered turrets that stay turned off unless an attack occurs.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
There's only a 2% base chance per (manned) settlement of a random attack for each time the game checks for one, so you're not likely to see them unless you have a lot of settlements or build up large water farms (each food/water raises the chance by 0.1%, each defense reduces it back down by 1%). Those are usually safe to ignore, sometimes the settlement will win without you showing up and at worst some equipment gets broken. You can also get Minutemen quests for "Defend X" which you probably do need to show up for since there's a chance of losing the settlement.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Promethium posted:

There's only a 2% base chance per (manned) settlement of a random attack for each time the game checks for one, so you're not likely to see them unless you have a lot of settlements or build up large water farms (each food/water raises the chance by 0.1%, each defense reduces it back down by 1%). Those are usually safe to ignore, sometimes the settlement will win without you showing up and at worst some equipment gets broken. You can also get Minutemen quests for "Defend X" which you probably do need to show up for since there's a chance of losing the settlement.
I was dicking around last night and got a popup/xp about defeating raiders at a settlement I was nowhere near. So my settlers are bloodthirsty badasses with turrets and don't need my help but I'll take the free xp.

CasualTR
Apr 22, 2016

My Hunk of Silicon is better than your Hunk of Silicon

spacejew posted:

I have yet to notice a raider attack and I am 55 hours in.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

SubponticatePoster posted:

I was dicking around last night and got a popup/xp about defeating raiders at a settlement I was nowhere near. So my settlers are bloodthirsty badasses with turrets and don't need my help but I'll take the free xp.

Wait, is this why I would randomly get XP just walking around like a jackass sometimes?

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
I've generally slapped a stack of rocket/laser turrets (as materials were available) onto settlements as I acquired them, and added more as time went on. (Unless it was a useless pit, like Covenant/Croup/the Lighthouse/Costal Cottage/Hangman's Alley.)

However, if you really want more attacks :black101:, try building cages - I have 2x of both Raider and Gunner cages at Spectacle, and just never let them out - seems to draw Raiders and Gunners pretty well. 1x of each at Sanctuary, but that's got sloppier defenses because of how much territory I need to cover. (Plus everyone has pimped plasma rifles, a bunch of dogs, and the Jun Deathclaw Horde.)

The Castle, with all my non-dead companions and the Minutemen and a few giant lizards, plus lasers and rockets, hasn't seen a single attack the last "Defend The Castle" mission - even with 2x Gunner cages. :(

Vault 88 is chock full of Combat Armored settlers, all with pimped lasers, and a shitpot full of laser turrets - shows "999 Defense" in build mode. :getin: And I still get the occasional suicide run.

Stuff I've seen:

Raiders (common)
Gunner (less common)
Super Mutants or Ghouls (about the same frequency, but sometimes weird poo poo like six minigun Warlords appear, or 10-12 Charred Bloated Ferals)
BoS (usually a Verti making a gun run at the Slog after dropping off dudes at the checkpoint to the west along the road)(somewhat rare)

Drawn by cages:

Deathclaws
Raiders
Gunners
Yao Guai
Stingwings (failed experiment in making a bug-defended Operator hideout - stupid gangers kept murdering the tame Radroaches :smith:)

Humanoids are likely to have at least one, usually two but sometimes more, Legendary attackers with them. (Have fun finding their gibs once the rockets get done.)

I have no cages at Far Harbor's settlements, but I did load up heavy on turrets. Dalton Farm (I think) have a respawning Enraged For Crawler that appears on fast-travelling in, usually, and I make need to throw some walls up to protect my purifiers from the splash damage. (Coastal Cottage has a single respawning Raider right by the big hole in the ground, but either the robots or the turrets smoke them before I can do anything.) You *really* want turrets on the Island, because of the "Fog Condensers Are DDOS'd Thanks Lowtax" event, which leads to a shitload of Gulpers and other things coming to visit - think that's random, though. Trapper attacks happen, too, but that's as a lead-in to the "go wipe out a Trapper camp" mission, and I've actually gotten more condenser failures than Trapper attacks, YMMV.

Nuka-World, about the only place that'd be vulnerable like that would be the Red Rocket, and that would likely be the rebel gang. (Of course, if you don't grab it before killing everyone, it might be all three.)(Gunners, Ghouls and Super Mutants are always a possibility, too.) I'll grab it and make it nice, see if I can draw some walking lootbags. :getin:

Ah poo poo, I totally forgot about robots and Rust Devils - haven't had them as a primary "save us!" call yet, but I *have* had them either passing by/spawning nearby and being attracted by the noise, I guess. Rust Devils usually have tougher bots, and better numbers - the humans (roboboos or tinnies, your choice) actually understand poo poo like "flanking" and "cover" and "grenades", but Sentrybots give no fucks.

Nuka-Note! If you've crushed settlements under your boots for supplies, once you wipe out the gangs (or the local Oppression Stations), you may need to run the same pissy little kidnap/clear <enemy-type> from <location> quests to re-ally yourself and regain workshop access.

Wolfsheim posted:

Wait, is this why I would randomly get XP just walking around like a jackass sometimes?

Or provisioners/Minutemen/other allied factions walking around killing poo poo, and as best I can tell that can happen way the gently caress out beyond audible range, too.

Still trying to figure out where all the goddamn mini-nukes going off in downtown Boston are coming from, I've blown up all the cars and I haven't found a Fat Man on a corpse pretty much at all...

Zamboni Apocalypse fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Sep 20, 2016

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

Still trying to figure out where all the goddamn mini-nukes going off in downtown Boston are coming from, I've blown up all the cars and I haven't found a Fat Man on a corpse pretty much at all...

Super Mutant Suiciders?

Those assholes spawn indoors too.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

Unless it was a useless pit, like Covenant/Croup/the Lighthouse/Costal Cottage/Hangman's Alley.

I finally had a use for Hangman's on survival as an unmanned HQ for all my stuff as it's fairly central to just about everything, with relatively safe paths to Diamond City, GoodNeighbor, Sanctuary (via Beantown brewery), and a bunch of other places.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Wolfsheim posted:

Maybe, I've only had this game a week and don't know jack poo poo about it :v:

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Enigma posted:

Super Mutant Suiciders?

Those assholes spawn indoors too.

Ahhh, poo poo, I forgot about them, and downtown is swarming with Super Mutants.

If there's one thing I *have* to use VATS for, it's headshotting (or armshotting if there's a group :getin:) Suiciders.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
Is there any way to junk stuff without throwing it on the floor at a settlement?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Is there any way to junk stuff without throwing it on the floor at a settlement?

If it's already in your inventory it should break down into components automatically whenever you craft stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Depends on what it is. Things tagged as junk in the workbench or your personal inventory gets converted automatically when crafting.

Weapons and armor can be disassembled at the respective station. Be sure to remove any mods you want to keep by replacing them with the standard variant, such as replacing a marksman stock with a standard stock. This adds the mod to your inventory to be added to an item and works with both weapons and armor. It's really handy for modding things before you have the perks to craft the mods yourself. Lone mods cannot be broken down, but items with mods on them can be, for bonus rarer types of scrap with the right perks.

Other non-junk stuff like clothing has to be dropped on the ground and scrapped.

• Locked thread