Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Carlosologist posted:

In Dhurke's defense, he had no idea that Trucy and Apollo were related

We'll they're only half related, and Japan. So maybe... just maybeeeee....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

Agreed. I'm playing through the last case of AAI2 right now and I really like how the game kind of calls you out for basically bullying a child throughout the entire game. Debeste had a good character arc and I'd like to see him again in some capacity (maybe as Edgeworth's Apollo/Athena)

Plus, his second theme is too great to not be used again

I wouldn't say "bullying." Everyone else treats him like poo poo, but Edgey is the first person to actually challenge Sebastian, which is what kicks off his character arc.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I'll admit my memory is a bit fuzzy since I beat the case late last night but uh case 5 stuff: given the time period the AA games take place in, Jove woulda died in 2005. are we seriously implying that despite the fact that people knew that a famous(?) musician was one of the people who died - The judge even comments that he seemed to know who he was, that no one could punch his name into the internet and find a picture of him in 23 years? I know Kur'ain is sorta old timey but out of all the dumb stuff in AA I find that a little too absurd.

I got the impression that he was just a guy traveling with his guitar, wife, and infant son, not that he had any fame outside of Khur'ain. (Which seems to be a very small country anyway.)

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

5-3 sucks because Athena and Juniper don't kiss.

ftfy

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Likewise, 6-2 sucks because Betty and Trucy don't kiss.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
5-3 did at least give you a fantastic sidekick who understandably never got around to doing any sidekicking in AA6.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Did they ever explain (spoilers for the whole game) how they were able to conduct a murder trial for the Queen without the obvious issue that it wouldn't have been possible to perform a Divination Seance for her? Datz mentions that those used to be "just another piece of evidence" so they definitely still existed back then. Did Ga'ran just play it off like she didn't need one or something?

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Good partners for investigating are what make them fun or boring. 6-3 was a ton of fun to investigate for that very reason.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Honestly, I think investigations have always been the low points of the game and have always been annoyed when trials moved on to the second day. I'm glad that they've been downplaying that, or at least making the second day wildly different instead of a continuation of the same investigation.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Clarste posted:

Honestly, I think investigations have always been the low points of the game and have always been annoyed when trials moved on to the second day. I'm glad that they've been downplaying that, or at least making the second day wildly different instead of a continuation of the same investigation.
In general, I strongly agree that investigation segments are substantially weaker, but a good partner goes a long way towards making them more tolerable.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

13/f/cali posted:

Did they ever explain (spoilers for the whole game) how they were able to conduct a murder trial for the Queen without the obvious issue that it wouldn't have been possible to perform a Divination Seance for her? Datz mentions that those used to be "just another piece of evidence" so they definitely still existed back then. Did Ga'ran just play it off like she didn't need one or something?
I thought they mentioned that it couldn't be performed and that was part of the reason Dhurke originally walked.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Lurdiak posted:

hosed up that Juniper didn't even get mentioned in this game.

I don't think anything made me more uncomfortable in the series than Dhurke talking about how Trucy and Apollo should totally get married.

I want Juniper to show up in AA7 as a judge, with Hugh and Robin as assisting defense and prosecution.

Did you catch the bit later in Case 5, Investigation 2 where they open the locket and Athena starts teasing Dhurke about liking younger women? When Dhurke points out he was younger in the picture too Athena replies "aw, that's no fun."

TheKingofSprings posted:

Gonna cross my fingers Sad Monk is the seance victim we see in Khura'in (is that how it's spelled) next game

That's a weird way to spell out "courting Ema Skye." :allears:

TheKingofSprings posted:

My big hope is one day they'll take advantage of all the models they now have and have a different defence and prosecutor for every case.

This is exactly what I want from AA7 as an Athena-centric game and maybe give her Franny Von Karma as her endgame rival. That and for Athena to start turning her back to prosecutors and witnesses as both a callback to Blackquill and because she doesn't need to see them to hear the discord.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

I want Juniper to show up in AA7 as a judge, with Hugh and Robin as assisting defense and prosecution.

Did you catch the bit later in Case 5, Investigation 2 where they open the locket and Athena starts teasing Dhurke about liking younger women? When Dhurke points out he was younger in the picture too Athena replies "aw, that's no fun."

This is exactly what I want from AA7 as an Athena-centric game and maybe give her Franny Von Karma as her endgame rival. That and for Athena to start turning her back to prosecutors and witnesses as both a callback to Blackquill and because she doesn't need to see them to hear the discord.

I'm all for this if it ends up with a scene where she and Blackquill are showing their back to each other... Because they're too dorky to be the first one to turn back around.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

That's what they said about Klavier before he mysteriously dropped down a well

E: And Nahyuta's somehow more insufferable than that glimmerous fop

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I don't want to think about that too hard. It's a little disturbing!

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Athena was saying it was no fun because she wanted to gossip about Dhurke's love life. It's no fun because it means he's still single and therefore there's nothing to talk about.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Clarste posted:

Athena was saying it was no fun because she wanted to gossip about Dhurke's love life. It's no fun because it means he's still single and therefore there's nothing to talk about.

lol how is this not obvious

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Apollo needs to find a good girl his age in Khura'in to shack up with.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Unfortunately they were all tried and executed under the Love Interest Culpability Act.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I should probably stop reading this thread for a while

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Clarste posted:

I feel like some of the trials could have benefitted from extra days, honestly. Not in the 'case was too short' sense, but in the 'I've been in this trial for-loving-ever and really need a breather' sense.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Just finished. Not sure quite how I feel about it yet, but the game is definitely far better than Dual Destinies was.

Final case big spoiler: I really liked the twist where Dhurke was dead the entire time, and Apollo only reconciled and had adventures with channeled-him.

Good twist.

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Sep 21, 2016

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
Case 5-1 and ending spoilers I really want Armie to be Ema's assistant/detective in her own right in AA7 and maybe for her and Rayfa to be Apollo's collective bratty little sisters :swoon:

This is a real good game, Dual Destinies was good too but it felt much less memorable except for Blackquill, Ted Tonate, and Fullbright.

It's kind of a greatest hits of JFA and Trials but those are good rear end games to rip off from, and it still feels fresh. And the ideas for AA7 are really strong, especially given the ending.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Solaris Knight posted:

Case 5-1 and ending spoilers I really want Armie to be Ema's assistant/detective in her own right in AA7 and maybe for her and Rayfa to be Apollo's collective bratty little sisters :swoon:

This is a real good game, Dual Destinies was good too but it felt much less memorable except for Blackquill, Ted Tonate, and Fullbright.

It's kind of a greatest hits of JFA and Trials but those are good rear end games to rip off from, and it still feels fresh. And the ideas for AA7 are really strong, especially given the ending.

With Apollo leaving the nest there is clearly place in the Wright family for one more kid, and they should adopt Armie. She can be Athena's new assistant in the next game.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

SyntheticPolygon posted:

With Apollo leaving the nest there is clearly place in the Wright family for one more kid, and they should adopt Armie. She can be Athena's new assistant in the next game.

I think Armie and Athena would be a good pairing, as Athena is kind of an airhead in investigations, and Armie drilling her to stay on task while doing some kid things would be cool and cute to see

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Alright, I'm stuck on case 5. doing insights, I've proven that Datz made the explosion sound through the phone, but I'm not sure what else I'm supposed to see because of that. This divination in general seems really reaching, like the past two contradictions were "that's weird" instead of "this doesn't make sense".

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Momomo posted:

Alright, I'm stuck on case 5. doing insights, I've proven that Datz made the explosion sound through the phone, but I'm not sure what else I'm supposed to see because of that. This divination in general seems really reaching, like the past two contradictions were "that's weird" instead of "this doesn't make sense".

What else in Khura'in makes a lion's roar. At least I think that's where you're at or I may have the orders backwards.

Edit: I think you're past what I said, I believe you want the first part where it mentions the time? The murder didn't happen based on a certain statement.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Sep 21, 2016

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Already did that one, the dog sound is still there, but I don't know what I'm supposed to do with it.

theshim
May 1, 2012

I think I got stuck at that point too - you need to connect the explosion to the 3pm statement or something like that.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Momomo posted:

Already did that one, the dog sound is still there, but I don't know what I'm supposed to do with it.

Ignore that, with the information you've learned now up until that point, the murder didn't happen at 3.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

By the way, checked the Japanese script, the near-future timeline is present in the Japanese version too, it's not just a localization quirk.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Got it, thanks guys. This case is...Well, it's going places.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Waffleman_ posted:

By the way, checked the Japanese script, the near-future timeline is present in the Japanese version too, it's not just a localization quirk.

yeah, everything revolves around the date of DL-6 right? I do find it funny that the gap between AA4 and AA5 was just about as long as the in universe time skip

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Carlosologist posted:

yeah, everything revolves around the date of DL-6 right? I do find it funny that the gap between AA4 and AA5 was just about as long as the in universe time skip

The DL-6 file is literally the only time a year is mentioned in the series, yes. Everything else is relative from that.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Solaris Knight posted:

Armie is my second-favorite non-main character in the game, after Datz, and she needs to return in a future game. Just too frickin' cool, and her character gave the designers the excuse they needed to have a drone testify. IT WAS GLORIOUS. I love every unconventional cross-examination, from the parrot to Shelly de Killer on the transceiver to Orla in DD's DLC case (made especially funny because the case mindfucks you into thinking you need to have the orca testify, only to swerve away, and then double back to it after all). Plus I thought it was the one circumstance where a gender reveal wasn't cheap, because it plays hard against people's stereotypes. You just assume Sarge has to be a boy, and the game sorta subtly shames you for making that assumption.

Datz is the best, though. There's so much going on with him! He's dangerous, but also very silly, and a giant troll. I loved how his trolling with the firecrackers ended up being critical to the case. Granted, he's really annoying before he reveals who he is, and provides practically no new information for the case. but afterwards, he's wildly entertaining.

Best new characters overall in the game:
1. Dhurke
2. Rayfa
3. Armie "Sarge" Buff
4. Datz Arebal
5. Betty and Bonny de Famme
6. Uendo
7. Ga'aran
8. Ahl'bi Ur'Gaid
9. Nahyuta
10. Paul Atishan

I'm kinda hoping the next game is an Athena showcase, where she finally comes into her own. I even got bored and thought of some ideas the other day. the obvious direction is the dangling plot thread of who was responsible for the Phantom being sent to infiltrate GYAXA, but also we never learned anything at all about Athena's father, as far as I can recall. I had a notion that the reason why could be that he was deliberately kept out of her life. I mean, he could be dead, or Metis could've had a fling, but it seems more like this series to have her father end up significant in some way.

I was also thinking of things they haven't done yet, in terms of twists and set-up. They haven't had a really strong female prosecutor (Franziska is not particularly great outside the Edgeworth games, and only got 2 1/2 cases). They haven't had an evil judge yet (although, how could they do that and make it work?). I thought about what if someone is brought to trial for a murder they did not commit, is acquitted, and then murders someone in the same manner to frame the person that committed the first murder (this only works if the culprit of the first murder flees court at the end of the first trial). Have they done a murder case where there's a crowd full of witnesses?
Also they tend to go for stabbing, blunt force trauma, or strangulation. but there are more creative death methods. Poisoning is trickier to write a case around, but not impossible (they've managed it twice!), and I had an idea for a case involving drowning.

idle, random thing: CAUSE OF DEATH LIST -
AA1-1: blunt force trauma
AA1-2: blunt force trauma
AA1-3: stabbing wound
AA1-4: gunshot
AA1-5: stabbing wound
JFA-1: fall from height
JFA-2: gunshot
JFA-3: blunt force trauma
JFA-4: strangulation
T&T-1: electrocution
T&T-2: blunt force trauma
T&T-3: poisoning
T&T-4: stabbing wound
T&T-5: stabbing wound
AJ-1: blunt force trauma
AJ-2: gunshot
AJ-3: gunshot
AJ-4: poisoning
DD-1: blunt force trauma
DD-2: stabbing wound
DD-3: stabbing wound
DD-4: stabbing wound
DD-5: stabbing wound
DD-DLC: fall from height
SoJ-1: blunt force trauma
SoJ-2: stabbing wound (when you get right down to it)
SoJ-3: stabbing wound & stabbing wound
SoJ-4: suffocation
SoJ-5-1: blunt force trauma
SoJ-5-2: stabbing wound

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

The last DLC is a full case by the way, yeah?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I think that they've used the old judge for so long that if you swapped him out to have an evil judge, it'd be too obvious. It worked with Bobby because DD was kinda being marketed as the start of a new chapter of AA, and a new detective wasn't out of the question for that.

And yes, the DL-C Incident is a full case.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

voltcatfish posted:

The last DLC is a full case by the way, yeah?

yup, it features the return of Larry

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Spatula City posted:

Armie is my second-favorite non-main character in the game, after Datz, and she needs to return in a future game. Just too frickin' cool, and her character gave the designers the excuse they needed to have a drone testify. IT WAS GLORIOUS. I love every unconventional cross-examination, from the parrot to Shelly de Killer on the transceiver to Orla in DD's DLC case (made especially funny because the case mindfucks you into thinking you need to have the orca testify, only to swerve away, and then double back to it after all). Plus I thought it was the one circumstance where a gender reveal wasn't cheap, because it plays hard against people's stereotypes. You just assume Sarge has to be a boy, and the game sorta subtly shames you for making that assumption.

Personally, (Case 5 spoilers)I was wondering whether Sarge was a boy or a girl right up until the point where Apollo assumed she was a boy with no basis. After which I (correctly) assumed that she was going to turn out to be a girl because there's really not much other reason to hide someone's face like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
At first I thought sarge was female because why not this is Ace Attorney after all, then after the crying thought maybe hed be some immature twenty something guy, but nope I overthought it.