Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

The Door Frame posted:

Facebook keeps showing me gay Israeli resorts, stuff written in Portuguese talking about Brasil, and is trying to get me to repatriate to London. I'm a straight white man who has never left America and can't read any other languages besides English. Ad robots aren't as accurate as people would have you believe

Yeah....that's my fault. You never log out of Google so I use your account. Those are all for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Facebook became briefly obsessed with showing me ads for a daycare center in Sweden. Never been there. No kids. Never talked about Sweden or daycare or kids on Facebook.

It was beautiful in its absurdity.

edit: the ads were in Swedish. I had to use Google Translate to figure out why all these pictures of laughing blonde children kept appearing.

walrusman has a new favorite as of 03:45 on Sep 20, 2016

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
facebook keeps saying I have 99 notifications when i dont have any friends or anything on it.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Tired Moritz posted:

facebook keeps saying I have 99 notifications when i dont have any friends or anything on it.

Least you know a bitch ain't one.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo
Ebay keeps sending me specials about baby care products.

I'm a single 25 year old man with no children who has never bought baby care stuff in my life.

Sic Semper Goon has a new favorite as of 05:26 on Sep 20, 2016

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Screaming Idiot posted:

Least you know a bitch ain't one.

Nice

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx

dirksteadfast posted:

This might not actually be a dumb move in marketing since it's possible that it hits more than it misses for all I know, but my wife's Pandora radio has decided all of her ads need to be in Spanish now. We technically do live near a significant Mexican population, so maybe it's trying its best to read nearby demographics, but mine hasn't been hit like that.

I put Shakira on one time and this started happening to me.

Don't judge.

Three years later I managed to wash it out with plenty of Led Zeppelin, Rob Zombie and Ace of Base.

Maybe that's not even how it works.

Yes, I know my taste in music sucks.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Though now that I think about it what is probably the stupidest thing is that like half of the music I listen to is in German. Which isn't Spanish.

Which genre of music would that be? I thought German bands often sang in English.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Yeah....that's my fault. You never log out of Google so I use your account. Those are all for me.

You should contact HBO for an indie movie based on your life. A Brazilian Jew from London living in Boystown and cruising for men sounds like a side character from Girls that would get a 2 episode feature

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

Phlegmish posted:

Which genre of music would that be? I thought German bands often sang in English.

Rammstein.

Alternatively, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNYcviXK4rg

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Looks like somebody's never heard of Einstürzende Neubauten :smuggo:

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Stick Insect posted:

I rather like the idea behind http://adnauseam.io although I have no idea if it's effective.

It hides the ads from view but still loads them and then clicks on every one in a background process. The idea is that any profile data built up is useless because you click on everything in the whole world.
So many poor poor people would get their Google AdSense accounts banned.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

:jerkbag:

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Oh my god I love this so much, they're having so much fun :kimchi:

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Easy, charge $0.15 per can. (and maybe reduce the sugar)

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

The Door Frame posted:

Thank God I have McAfee Active Protection software that came pre-installed on my computer

I think it's a pretty dumb move in marketing to keep the product/company named McAfee when John McAfee has lost his goddamn mind. Is he still wanted and hanging out in South America? I read some interview or something with him I think on Ars Technica and he was completely unhinged, he kept talking about this drug that he uses as an aphrodisiac and stuff like that.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Oh buttsalts McAfee who hid from police looking for him for his neighbour's murder by digging a hole in the beach, climbing in, and put a cardboard box on his head.

gentle pete
Feb 21, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

This is actually more likely to do the trick than anything submitted to that contest would.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Stick Insect posted:

I rather like the idea behind http://adnauseam.io although I have no idea if it's effective.

It hides the ads from view but still loads them and then clicks on every one in a background process. The idea is that any profile data built up is useless because you click on everything in the whole world.

I cannot imagine this is even slightly useful, at all. The only thing it really is is a kind of click fraud / botting, and it'll earn whichever sites you visit increased revenue from your obscenely large adclick ratio.
Hell, it might be straight up harmful if ad networks detect it as fraud, and punish the site you're visiting for setting up a bot clicker. ( Which is against the Terms of Agreement of any advertiser. )

I genuinely can't see this as helpful to the person using it in the slightest, just edit your hosts file or something to redirect a lot of ad traffic and trackers.
This thing just seems actively malicious, and I cannot believe for a single second that the people making it haven't realized that it's pretty much just another tool to attack sites.
Sure, a site displaying ads can be pretty lovely, but throwing false impressions their way and possibly getting the site's advertising network to blacklist them for fraud is way worse.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Oh buttsalts McAfee who hid from police looking for him for his neighbour's murder by digging a hole in the beach, climbing in, and put a cardboard box on his head.

It worked, didn't it?

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

SubNat posted:

I cannot imagine this is even slightly useful, at all. The only thing it really is is a kind of click fraud / botting, and it'll earn whichever sites you visit increased revenue from your obscenely large adclick ratio.
Hell, it might be straight up harmful if ad networks detect it as fraud, and punish the site you're visiting for setting up a bot clicker. ( Which is against the Terms of Agreement of any advertiser. )

I genuinely can't see this as helpful to the person using it in the slightest, just edit your hosts file or something to redirect a lot of ad traffic and trackers.
This thing just seems actively malicious, and I cannot believe for a single second that the people making it haven't realized that it's pretty much just another tool to attack sites.
Sure, a site displaying ads can be pretty lovely, but throwing false impressions their way and possibly getting the site's advertising network to blacklist them for fraud is way worse.

use it anyway, let the internet burn

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
Yeah don't use it on sites where you need to log in, apparently someone got banned from his youtube account because google marked them as a bot.

I love watching this adblocking arms race unfold, I hope that eventually someone will come up with ads that are not poo poo. Or at least less poo poo than they are now.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I don't understand what's wrong with just a static picture that says "hey this is our product click to know more" using a nice quiet text? No they gotta get huge and musical and loud.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Because people advertising sketchy things need idiots to click on them, and idiots respond to huge and musical and loud.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
And the only thing that idiots do well is enable other idiots.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Ryoshi posted:

I think it's a pretty dumb move in marketing to keep the product/company named McAfee when John McAfee has lost his goddamn mind. Is he still wanted and hanging out in South America? I read some interview or something with him I think on Ars Technica and he was completely unhinged, he kept talking about this drug that he uses as an aphrodisiac and stuff like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKgf5PaBzyg

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Stick Insect posted:

Yeah don't use it on sites where you need to log in, apparently someone got banned from his youtube account because google marked them as a bot.

I love watching this adblocking arms race unfold, I hope that eventually someone will come up with ads that are not poo poo. Or at least less poo poo than they are now.

Non awful adverts have existed forever. The issue is that there's always That one sociopathic marketing person, company executive, or scammer (these are not mutually exclusive) that doesn't care if you're annoyed. They demand your attention and will stop at nothing to get it. Same goes for malware, really; they just don't care who they're hurting so you need to defend against it. It isn't going away, ever.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I use a VPN service that hops exit servers every few hours. I get the strangest targeted ads because most people on these shared ips are looking at the grossest stuff imaginable.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

That's my excuse, too.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Ryoshi posted:

He fled to the US

Regrettable has a new favorite as of 03:26 on Sep 25, 2016

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
But did he unlock the iPhone first?

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe
I'm not entirely sure how ad targeting works, but the internet is convinced I'm a business.

Instead of the usual dick pill spam, I get ads for business-class VOIP phone systems, chartering private jets and business loans.

I've never run a business, but it's certainly amusing.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Good lord, wait til you do. Within days of registering an LLC - which is a painless process with very low barriers to entry - I was up to my tits in office supply catalogs, warehousing supply catalogs, promotional material catalogs (and free samples, :woop: ), credit card and loan offers, business internet fliers, and god knows what else. Companies probably spent more money than I billed in the first six months, just to send me catalogs. It's tapered off a little after the first year, but I still check the mail sometimes to find a big awkward envelope full of sample lanyards and pens. Oh and Comcast sends me 2-3 things a week, but they're just postcards so they're easy to ignore.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Stick Insect posted:

Someone would have to come up with products and services that aren't poo poo first.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

walrusman posted:

Good lord, wait til you do. Within days of registering an LLC - which is a painless process with very low barriers to entry - I was up to my tits in office supply catalogs, warehousing supply catalogs, promotional material catalogs (and free samples, :woop: ), credit card and loan offers, business internet fliers, and god knows what else. Companies probably spent more money than I billed in the first six months, just to send me catalogs. It's tapered off a little after the first year, but I still check the mail sometimes to find a big awkward envelope full of sample lanyards and pens. Oh and Comcast sends me 2-3 things a week, but they're just postcards so they're easy to ignore.

We founded our (very small) business back in '07 and I still get daily calls offering us business loans. As far as mailings, Comcast is the most relentless, sending multiple letters per week about their business-tier Internet packages. I RTSed them for a while, but they just kept coming, so I started using them for scratch paper :laugh:

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

Nuevo posted:

I'm not entirely sure how ad targeting works, but the internet is convinced I'm a business.

The spam I get is convinced I'm an orthopedic surgeon. I get tons of links to paid surveys about different types of medical equipment and other junk I really know nothing about. I always wonder if I started doing them where the money would go.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

walrusman posted:

Are you Dildomancer?

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler
My Hulu ads are 100% about women's birth control, women's mobile apps, and ads for women's bras and underwear "bae will like". I'm a guy. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

I got from his channel that he is a libertarian, and that he gets regularly interviewed by Russia Today, even in Larry King's show there.

Why?

I mean, I know that libertarianism, like the far left, attracts the craziest fuckers, but they could invite someone who isn't certifiably insane (like Dr. Michael Schermer or people from CATO). I honestly believe that RT usually interviews crazy Americans just to mock America.