Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

80s James Hetfield posted:

I was just watching some old WWF Superstars squash mashes from the mid 80s, early 90's and I got to thinking when Hogan won the title in 86 and again later on did he ever appear on weekly TV facing enhancement talent like the heel champions did?

Hogan wrestled 3 minute dark matches at the end of tapings to keep fans from leaving after 4 hour torture sessions of squash matches. He almost never wrestled on TV and when he did it would typically be on SNME against whoever he'd just had a house show run with. There were also the Mtv specials.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
If I remember right it went from Orndorff to Killer Khan to to Kamala to One Man Gang, with Hercules and Bundy thrown in here and there.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Talk of Hogan vs. jobbers makes me think of how when he went to WCW, one of his earliest matches was him and Sting vs. the Harris Twins (who were basically a no-name team at this point) on TV. The match lasted about ten seconds. The faces ran in, very brief brawl, then Hogan did the boot and leg drop while Sting was on the side doing the Scorpion Death Lock.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Do most Indie feds usually have "world" titles? It seems kinda weird to me to have a tiny promotion have one, I've always preferred it when they have a local one instead. The best local fed in my area has a Pacific Northwest title for example (the other two, which are ultra terrible, happen to have World Titles, go figure).

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Do most Indie feds usually have "world" titles? It seems kinda weird to me to have a tiny promotion have one, I've always preferred it when they have a local one instead. The best local fed in my area has a Pacific Northwest title for example (the other two, which are ultra terrible, happen to have World Titles, go figure).

The major ones tend to start calling theirs a world championship when they have a title defence outside of America.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Promotions in my area tend to just go with "[Name of promotion] Championship." I'd imagine that's pretty typical.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer
It predates Superstars, but Hogan did wrestle a squash match against Rusty Brooks on WWF Championship Wrestling after a few weeks buildup that Hogan would be defending his title against someone "in his weight class".

That was mostly to set up an ambush by Randy Savage though.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

That DICK! posted:

Is Filthy Tom Lawlor a big lovely baby? My only experience with him is some CM Punk stuff he's said on Wrestling Observer but he seems really obnoxious

He's usually pretty funny on the radio shows, just salty about Punk's pay. Loves Kane.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

He was once in a weapons battle royale and someday I hope to hear the story behind it

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
This is more a discussion than a question, but am I the only one who hates the stage setup of having people enter around the side of a giant screen? For years it was set up to have wrestlers enter center-stage straight onto the stage/ramp from Gorilla. Even when they switched to having bigger screens, there was still a mini-tron behind the entrance area that would still open right to the ramp.

Ever since the change to the HD set, it's been wrestlers entering from an unseen gap in the back, walking around a huge curved screen, and then reaching center stage from the side. It seems to me like if you're going to make a big entrance to a show, you come straight out into the middle of the action, and if you're going to run out and attack someone you come out like a shot and make a beeline to the ring, not jog half a block and then head into the fray. Is this part of "the brand is the attraction" or what?

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps

The WWE has only ever had matches on earth yet still has a Universal Title.

Makes you think.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

britishbornandbread posted:

Makes you think.

we already had a universal wrestling federation

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

exploding mummy posted:

we already had a universal wrestling federation

Two of them, in fact.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

That DICK! posted:

Is Filthy Tom Lawlor a big lovely baby? My only experience with him is some CM Punk stuff he's said on Wrestling Observer but he seems really obnoxious

His whining about Punk really struck a nerve with me, giant unapologetic Punk mark that I am, but he also loves Kane? I've never been this conflicted.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

That DICK! posted:

He's a shithead in his personal life too.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Counterpoint:

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
filthy tom is a funny dude who is a typical fight bro and that can be problematic. he's also super salty about how ufc was when he started and what it is now.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

MassRafTer posted:

He's a shithead in his personal life too.

Go on

magnum_valentino
Apr 18, 2013
Were those recent Seth Rollins sexts (ugh) legitimate? I imagine there'd be more talk of his dick choking fantasy if so.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Please do not:
kinkshame seth rollins
bodyshame chris hero

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

or Kevin Owens

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Kinkshame Aaron Rex as much as you want tho

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Makes you think.

WCW counts as part of WWE's history and according to the video game WCW Thunder, they had Royal Rumbles that took place in space.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

Makes you think.

Only because alien grapplers are too scared to face the SUPERSTARS of WWE!

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I won't pretend that Stardust wasn't made to look like a chump, but that's simply not true

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Have any WWF/WWE wrestlers cut a promo on aliens since the Ultimate Warrior?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Marquis de Pyro posted:

Only because alien grapplers are too scared to face the SUPERSTARS of WWE!

That's why WWF Krozor only lasted one issue.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Halloween Jack posted:

Have any WWF/WWE wrestlers cut a promo on aliens since the Ultimate Warrior?

Zeb Coulter.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

ShootaBoy posted:

Zeb Coulter.

lol

magnum_valentino
Apr 18, 2013

Gavok posted:

That's why WWF Krozor only lasted one issue.

Shameless!

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

ShootaBoy posted:

Zeb Coulter.

:sbahj:

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

What's the best ppvs top to bottom from the last let's say 6 years?

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Thauros posted:

Are there any prominent examples of lucha themes that were specifically composed for the wrestler instead of adopting an existing piece of music? I imagine there has to at least be a MiSu/Shibata type example of a luchador using a theme a musician friend wrote for him.

Pretty sure Super Calo counts here. He got his entire gimmick from that rap group and I'm pretty sure they did a custom theme for him, too

magnum_valentino
Apr 18, 2013
Who sent Big Show to OVW? Jim Ross? He sounded bitter about it on Talk is Jericho

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Spikeguy posted:

Backlash and Battleground 2016 were both real solid

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Spikeguy posted:

SummerSlam 2013 and WrestleMania 30 jump out at me

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Mania 31 and the 2016 Rumble.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Basic Chunnel posted:

Backlash and Battleground 2016 were both real solid

If you say just this year, these are the winners, right? I think battleground gets just a bit of an edge for that "oh my god FINALLY." pop that Bayley got.

MitB and TakeOver Brooklyn can't be far behind though.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Not much comes to mind when "top to bottom" is a qualifier, aside from nearly any Takeover. Even the best cards in the past few years have had some stinkers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I know the question is mainly referring to WWE, but I gotta nominate KoPW 2012, WK7, Dominion 2013, and WK9 for this.