Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

dogstile posted:

I gave a Dell laptop to the new guy and said "could you put office on it, thanks".

I come in this morning, it won't boot. He tried to put HP drivers on it, then removed the recovery partition and has now somehow wiped the disc clean. I'm both really angry (because jesus dude, what the gently caress i'm meant to be giving this to a guy in 30 minutes) and trying not to double over from laughter (because jesus christ dude, how the hell)

Please do find out how the hell, because i want to know how installing office wiped the recovery partition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Install MS Office / Nuke from orbit and salt the earth, yeah this needs a trip report because HOW

Also it's really annoyingly good when a problem gets worked on for awhile and the solution is something bloody simple, this test phone I got just could not see our PABX along with other things. Turns out changing the hostname of the PABX to something simple solved everything, as originally having a .com in the name made Windows DNS when making an A record go wonky.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

dogstile posted:

I gave a Dell laptop to the new guy and said "could you put office on it, thanks".

I come in this morning, it won't boot. He tried to put HP drivers on it, then removed the recovery partition and has now somehow wiped the disc clean. I'm both really angry (because jesus dude, what the gently caress i'm meant to be giving this to a guy in 30 minutes) and trying not to double over from laughter (because jesus christ dude, how the hell)

Full Office or Starter? If it's Starter, I think I know what might have happened.

Emerald Rogue
Mar 29, 2013

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Goddammit, I just got laid off with 0 notice. I think my boss thought I was lazy, but I was actually doing everything I could given my limited system access. No warnings, no correctional action, just laid off with no notice.

Anyone in the Northern Colorado / Boulder area looking for a junior administrator or entry level developer? I know Powershell, Python, C++, Java, and am rapidly learning C# by making Unity games.

E: what's that government site that gives salary ranges for various positions by region and title?

USAJOBS should have that info for current federal postings. I don't know much about local and state level stuff.

https://www.usajobs.gov/

mewse
May 2, 2006

dogstile posted:

That's amazing

mewse
May 2, 2006

Oh you said install MS office? I thought I heard you say you wanted the drive zeroed

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
Well I believe I heard somewhere that I shouldn't install things to C:, so I'll install to this other HP_RECOVERY volume instead.

Oh... out of space? It's a fresh PC, I'll just delete everything I don't recognize.

mewse posted:

Oh you said install MS office? I thought I heard you say you wanted the drive zeroed

Well Office and Fdisk sort of sound the same I guess, I think it's understandable how the two got mixed up in his head.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

MisterZimbu posted:

Well Office and Fdisk sort of sound the same I guess, I think it's understandable how the two got mixed up in his head.

They aren't the same?

HEY?! WHERE'D MY WORD DOX GOE?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

They're moving a location we have in Texas. They don't give us the new address until 2 days before they move. Then the guy is down there today setting stuff up at the new location.

"Why don't we have internet here yet?"

Man they are going to be pissed when the only option that location has is 3mb DSL.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Super Slash posted:

Install MS Office / Nuke from orbit and salt the earth, yeah this needs a trip report because HOW

I think it was the drivers that did him in. Maybe he was trying to go above and beyond to make sure drivers and BIOS were all completely up to date, something didn't load correctly, disk wasn't recognized, he panicked and used all the wrong tools to accidentally reformat the drive instead of recover it.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Are you sure he wiped the recovery partition, or did he get rid of the UEFI boot partition?

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

anthonypants posted:

Are you sure he wiped the recovery partition, or did he get rid of the UEFI boot partition?

Maybe the UEFI was mounted RW and he did an rm -rf / from a linux boot disc. :v:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
I removed the primary partition of a drive once. I was 12 and didn't know what fdisk really did, I can't fathom being competent to get through an interview for a tech job and get hired and somehow doing it by accident.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Fil5000 posted:

I removed the primary partition of a drive once. I was 12 and didn't know what fdisk really did, I can't fathom being competent to get through an interview for a tech job and get hired and somehow doing it by accident.

But were you trying to install office?

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Bob Morales posted:

They're moving a location we have in Texas. They don't give us the new address until 2 days before they move. Then the guy is down there today setting stuff up at the new location.

"Why don't we have internet here yet?"

Man they are going to be pissed when the only option that location has is 3mb DSL.

I laughed, then I cried.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

anthonypants posted:

I haven't had a look, my boss went over it with him, but he got rid of everything.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I think it was the drivers that did him in. Maybe he was trying to go above and beyond to make sure drivers and BIOS were all completely up to date, something didn't load correctly, disk wasn't recognized, he panicked and used all the wrong tools to accidentally reformat the drive instead of recover it.

This is pretty close. He said he accidentally installed HP drivers into the laptop rather than the Dell ones (god knows where the gently caress he got that disc, i thought i'd gotten rid of them all) to make sure that they were up to date. He told me that he'd done this and I said that's fine, just reinstall the old ones. He was having trouble, decided he would just format the drive and put a fresh OS on to start from scratch.

You know when you're like, 14 and you've just learned enough about PC's to make meaningful changes to them, but not smart enough to not gently caress up? Somehow he's there in his 20's. He's been talking about how powerful sql and powershell is. I truly cannot wait to see what happens next.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

dogstile posted:

He's been talking about how powerful sql and powershell is. I truly cannot wait to see what happens next.

Tell him -whatif is for suckers and to never bother using it.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
I sense an injection vulnerability in your future.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Fil5000 posted:

Quoting the new IT guy at one of my customers, just this morning, when I'm trying to help him diagnose why a web page wasn't loading:

quote:

When I do a traceroute to the web site it gets as far as this A-K-A-M-A-I thing and then stops. I did some searching and some people say this is a malware site.

This man supposedly has worked in IT for years, yet he had absolutely no idea what Akamai is. I explained to him that they're a popular CDN used by many large sites but he still kept leaning on how his searching had turned up results about malware.

FDISK is at least a few levels beyond that.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Tell him -whatif is for suckers and to never bother using it.

When you point your script at something with the -whatif off, you best be prepared to erase it :clint:.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

wolrah posted:

Quoting the new IT guy at one of my customers, just this morning, when I'm trying to help him diagnose why a web page wasn't loading:

This man supposedly has worked in IT for years, yet he had absolutely no idea what Akamai is. I explained to him that they're a popular CDN used by many large sites but he still kept leaning on how his searching had turned up results about malware.

FDISK is at least a few levels beyond that.

Network team at my client saw a lot of traffic going to Akamai and freaked out, we had to talk to them off the ledge and tell them that yes, those are legit servers to hit, it's a CDN and even microsoft uses them for patching servers (which is why they saw a lot of traffic going there).

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
poo poo always pissing me off always and forever: Printers

Setting up a new print server on 2012, running into a weird issue with creating a GPO for mapping. I'm using the User Preferences > Control Panel > Printers option to connect them.

With this GPO mapping, the a printer will show up on the client PC as "Printer 1 on PRINTSERVER1"

If I run into a user who has taken it upon himself to add it manually from the directory, it gets added as "Printer 1 on PRINTSERVER1.contoso.net"

This leads to the user having both instances of the same printer on their PC, since they technically have different names. There is only one share per printer, why the hell did this have to start happening? I know I can just add in a delete printer action for anything with the full FQDN, but I would prefer to figure out why this started.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Ahhh reading through AS/400 guy's folder.

Automotive Order Processing Thought EDI (should say 'Automatic Order Processing Through EDI')
At <company> we use EDI to Process are Commercial Orders. We process orders from our customers using <edi vendor> and <erp software> EDI interface. This presentation will show how we receive orders from <edi vendor> and import into <erp software> order entry without key strokes. This has reduce error and speed of processing order in <erp software>. Also has reduced paper flow of incoming and outgoing orders.

That's from a presentation he gave at <ERP Software>'s user conference

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Apparently my boss was cleaning out space on a localhost's virtualstore, because We just bought a shelf! We can't buy another one!, and somehow ended up cleaning up a bunch of OS files from one of our in-use servers. It was a testing(?) server so it's not catastrophic, but. C'mon, man.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
This $250 media converter took down our HQ for nearly 14 hours today. Thankfully I had a spare on hand. I can't wait to resolve the 10+ page list of poo poo like this burdening our company. Welp, time for a RCA.
Burnt component.

Left is melted into shape of SX connector.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

gently caress our telephony guys so hard. They've been bugging me about helping them troubleshoot an issue for ages, and have always pushed back and said that there are no log files they can give me to figure out why VPN negotiation is failing so I should just spend hours changing poo poo until things start working again. The second result on Google is a vendor guide for getting log data out of these phones, I guess looking for that and implementing it is just too hard.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
PCI compliance and those that get to seemingly ignore it..

As a retailer we are required to have all manner of security on our network anywhere a credit card number might touch. 2 factor everything, etc... Even if it's not the full credit card number. I understand the need for it, and it's just good practice.

But our processing gateway? (Verifone's own IPCharge/PaywareConnect product) Apparently they get a pass. The "backend" website we log into to perform certain tasks needs only a merchant number, username, and password. No 2FA required or even available to enable. To top it off, it requires Internet Explorer in IE7 compatibility mode for most of it to work. They also appear to be using a few ASP.NET controls in Trial mode, because you occasionally get a message the trial on one of them is about to expire! And this is a product from one of the biggest players in the industry!

There is more cardholder data available on this website than what travels through or is even available on our POS system.

One positive... They just today switched to requiring TLS 1.2 and SHA-256 support.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

stevewm posted:

PCI compliance and those that get to seemingly ignore it..

As a retailer we are required to have all manner of security on our network anywhere a credit card number might touch. 2 factor everything, etc... Even if it's not the full credit card number. I understand the need for it, and it's just good practice.

But our processing gateway? (Verifone's own IPCharge/PaywareConnect product) Apparently they get a pass. The "backend" website we log into to perform certain tasks needs only a merchant number, username, and password. No 2FA required or even available to enable. To top it off, it requires Internet Explorer in IE7 compatibility mode for most of it to work. They also appear to be using a few ASP.NET controls in Trial mode, because you occasionally get a message the trial on one of them is about to expire! And this is a product from one of the biggest players in the industry!

There is more cardholder data available on this website than what travels through or is even available on our POS system.

One positive... They just today switched to requiring TLS 1.2 and SHA-256 support.

are... are you my co-worker?

I just had to setup a 2008 VM (a few weeks ago) because of their loving backwards awful site not working with IE11

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
We tried to turn off everything below TLS 1.2 via GPO and it immediately broke the website for our bank. :waycool:

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

Ahhh reading through AS/400 guy's folder.

Automotive Order Processing Thought EDI (should say 'Automatic Order Processing Through EDI')
At <company> we use EDI to Process are Commercial Orders. We process orders from our customers using <edi vendor> and <erp software> EDI interface. This presentation will show how we receive orders from <edi vendor> and import into <erp software> order entry without key strokes. This has reduce error and speed of processing order in <erp software>. Also has reduced paper flow of incoming and outgoing orders.

That's from a presentation he gave at <ERP Software>'s user conference

Ahh, the joys of living without spelczech. (I type like poo poo and don't use spellcheck, but I'm also not putting out customer-facing material, either. (And internal correspondence has yet to devolve to "YOU DUMB SHITS" but that day draws nigh...))

Back when I was working at a plastics plant, we had very nicely formatted QA documentation for logging our mandatory per-time-period/per-number-of-parts measurements, photocopies of which were sent out to the customers to show off how closely we followed our processes and the customer requirements.

Every single one of which had the same glaring typos, as produced in the original master document and surviving through many revisions. :downsbravo:

Of course, the details of how to make the product (which being as we were proudly trumpeting ISO 9000 all day long was supposed to be followed to the (incorrect) letter) were quite often not updated or straight-up ignored because reality conflicted with Fairy Tale Theatre Process Documentation.

I don't have OT anymore, nor the opportunity for any, and don't get the yearly bonus check because the company made over x% profit that year... and hosed if I would ever go back unless the only other option was "cardboard box under bridge", and I could probably handle the box just fine until late fall/early winter.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Inspector_666 posted:

We tried to turn off everything below TLS 1.2 via GPO and it immediately broke the website for our bank. :waycool:

I turned off SSL3 about a year and a half ago, maybe longer now, probably longer, for our largest customer. The website they use to access their pay checks and personal information immediately stopped working, and nothing has been done to remedy that situation, other than me being forced to turn SSL3 back on :(

We did get our client's security team to sign off on the risk so my hands are clean.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

MF_James posted:

I turned off SSL3 about a year and a half ago, maybe longer now, probably longer, for our largest customer. The website they use to access their pay checks and personal information immediately stopped working, and nothing has been done to remedy that situation, other than me being forced to turn SSL3 back on :(

We did get our client's security team to sign off on the risk so my hands are clean.

I maintain 2 copies of java.security, one thats locked down and one that has SSLv3 enabled and a bunch of old defunct algos. This is all in order to be able to access old sun server iLOMs.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

RFC2324 posted:

I maintain 2 copies of java.security, one thats locked down and one that has SSLv3 enabled and a bunch of old defunct algos. This is all in order to be able to access old sun server iLOMs.

I do the same thing for old iDRACs and ancient UPS' that are still hanging around somehow.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Pissing me off: Dell Rep sent my boss an email "41% off servers! Get a requote now to lock in!" Okay I had you quote last year so you know I'm looking but budget fell out. It's 41% off just the server hardware and the website tool is already over 40% off. They gave me a quote for more than I was quoted last year. Of course I can get more off, but my boss asked for a quote because huge sale.

Boss is now mad at the Dell Rep for lying and wants other options, HP is a good bit more, and I'd actually have to go with 2U instead of a 1U to get what I want unless I really want to spend 2x the price.

SuperMicro doesn't look much better and I've heard their support is really bad. Like send you a completely different part but equivalent bad when you call in warranty. Should I just avoid them? The price difference on the website configuration isn't much better than Dell so I can easily present it as lovely support and make Dell look better.

I'm waiting to hear back from a few VARs, the company has always bought directly from Dell and they get really lovely deals. I don't think I'm going to get a half off that Dell quote though, which is what my boss wants to move the December refresh to October.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Have you tried getting pricing from Cisco for their UCS stuff?

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Thanks Ants posted:

I've heard good things from a few people that use these, have not used myself yet though.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Thanks Ants posted:

I hadn't heard of using them outside of blades. They do make rack servers! I'll take a look, quick glance Datacenter's price is really high (6000+) and so are harddrive prices. But I assume all of this is pre-discount which Dell will show you the prices after a good 35-40% off on their site tools. It's close enough I don't think it will make the difference for getting a server next month, but close enough that I'll ask my VAR for the same config in both Dell and CISCO unless I hear some horror stories about their rack servers in the next few months.

e: I just realize this could be read as I didn't know CISCO made networking stuff, obviously I've used their switches, routers, and firewalls.

Also gently caress HPs tool, it multiplies the cost of the Microsoft OS you select by the number of sockets even though 1 license if for a pair of sockets. I find this funny, I'll find it even more funny when it still does this next month with 2016 or better yet 1 license per core!

pixaal fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Sep 21, 2016

CDW
Aug 26, 2004

wolrah posted:

This man supposedly has worked in IT for years, yet he had absolutely no idea what Akamai is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSEpCXADMxY&t=20s

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

wolrah posted:

This man supposedly has worked in IT for years, yet he had absolutely no idea what Akamai is.

Ah Kaw Mai. Sounds Chinese. I should block that at our firewall. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

MF_James posted:

I've heard good things from a few people that use these, have not used myself yet though.

New job has me working on Cisco UCS'es incidentally and they're pretty neat but holy god have someone on hand who knows how to work the UCSM. These are not your typical servers.