Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Hey, sorry if this goes against the thread's purpose but I don't really know if there's a good 'Is this trustworthy or not' thread anywhere to fact check stuff.

http://www.healthy-holistic-living.com/noodles-cause-chronic-inflammation-weight-gain-alzheimers-parkinsons-disease.html

If not, content, at the least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
you are in the right place... dear god :vomarine:

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Would.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

why this

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

RareAcumen posted:

Hey, sorry if this goes against the thread's purpose but I don't really know if there's a good 'Is this trustworthy or not' thread anywhere to fact check stuff.

http://www.healthy-holistic-living.com/noodles-cause-chronic-inflammation-weight-gain-alzheimers-parkinsons-disease.html
Instant ramen noodles are a garbage food for being probably the emptiest calories you can find. That article uses a "oh this is neat but I don't know what it means" journal article as a soapbox for a lot of standard woo about scary preservatives and MSG. It already starts weaseling out of making any recommendations or saying anything substantial by the end.

But I assume you already had that feeling considering the article ends with

quote:

Over the past year, my friend Dave at PaleoHacks has been working on a secret cookbook with world-renowned Le Cordon Bleu chef Peter Servold.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Rice cakes are the cornerstone of a healthy diet

And butter is the rest of the building.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

https://www.google.com/patents/USD584478

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

This probably tastes delicious even though it looks like Beans: The Meal.

I'm think I'm okay with this but I'm not sure yet.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
cant stop laughing at that bun

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

The required disassembly of the burger patty is a major turn off

Unless you also invent a gadget that allows you to cook a hotdog inside the patty

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

A grill that moulds a hot dog trough into the patty

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Hope not, but if so remember to post pics here!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

It's a slow process, cooking with mould. But the flavor more than makes up for it. I recommend everyone get a mycowave oven.

(drat autocorrect!)

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
It looks like the planet on chuckie finster's shirt

Trillian
Sep 14, 2003

RareAcumen posted:

There's so much nonsense here. "MSG is the perfect obesity drug." Finally an explanation for why Asian people have been so fat for the last century.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

This is the exact face I'm making right now.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

finally, the durger we've been waiting for

Xen Tricks
Nov 4, 2010

Alaois posted:

finally, the durger we've been waiting for

Doobie's Durger Den

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Would with great joy and only minimal irony

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
The first bun with love handles

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

found these "moon drops" grapes at the grocery store and had to get them

what's up with these weird idiot grapes? :confused:

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
They look like blue blown glass tampons??????

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON

blunt for century posted:

I had a shitton of those at my Grandma's house when I was a kid! IIRC they're basically just purple grapes but bigger and longer. They rock.

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

sweeperbravo posted:

They look like blue blown glass tampons??????

they look like i got a handful of cat turds in this picture

Kumaton posted:

I had a shitton of those at my Grandma's house when I was a kid! IIRC they're basically just purple grapes but bigger and longer. They rock.

yeah, they're super loving sweet

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

steinrokkan posted:

That's legit the most disgusting food habit I've heard of in a long time.
here's another fast food related thing. I only did it twice as a stupidly hungry teen, but I knew a ton of highschoolers who would eat this much more often than they should have.

it's called the "McGangbang"(back at the time I'm talking about, at some mcdonalds you could get it by name(if the right people were working, of course)), and I know for a fact that it was a prevalent thing throughout more than just my home state.

what you do is, you buy a double cheeseburger. then, you also buy a McChicken.
then, you take the double cheeseburger, and remove one half. then you just... put the McChicken in there on top of the first patty, and then place the second half of the double cheeseburg on top again.
and then you have something that looks like this:

hell yeah motherfucker :2bong: (don't actually eat this)

This used to be really popular so I'm sure people have seen this, but it's still gross. The main reason it became a thing is that, originally, both these sandwiches only cost $1, so you got this big awful thing for like 2.19(it's bigger than a big mac and that costs more, what a deal!)

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

Need to find some of these

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Golem II posted:

Need to find some of these

I just finished a bag of these yesterday. They're legit the best grapes I've ever had. Too bad they're only seasonal.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Wait another month and get Witch Finger grapes.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Mods change my name to witch finger grapist

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

BraveUlysses posted:

Mods change my name to witch finger grapist

Comes with a free Grape Whistle

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

I've never seen a site called anything like healthy-holistic-living that wasn't entirely full of poo poo.

Consider, for a start, how the article quotes adverse effects for a dose of one gram of TBHQ, which is way higher than the maximum allowable limit it quotes in the previous paragraph, and you may think "well no poo poo." And then note how it equates the "maximum allowable" limit with the "safe" limit. And the reference for the maximum limit is a broken link. If you do serious work in nutritional science, you know how to cite your sources.

This is just the tip of the iceberg but this isn't really the place to go through it line by line. You get my drift I'm sure. But don't eat too much instant ramen anyway because nutritionally it's crap food.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

zedprime posted:

Instant ramen noodles are a garbage food for being probably the emptiest calories you can find. That article uses a "oh this is neat but I don't know what it means" journal article as a soapbox for a lot of standard woo about scary preservatives and MSG. It already starts weaseling out of making any recommendations or saying anything substantial by the end.

But I assume you already had that feeling considering the article ends with

The fact that the website calls itself: healthy-holistic-living is what gave me a big red flag to begin with but I just wasn't completely convinced since I dunno. Maybe I end up being wrong and it's actually legit, like how there's Freep- the Detroit Free Press and, well 'Freep' :freep:

My Lovely Horse posted:

I've never seen a site called anything like healthy-holistic-living that wasn't entirely full of poo poo.

Consider, for a start, how the article quotes adverse effects for a dose of one gram of TBHQ, which is way higher than the maximum allowable limit it quotes in the previous paragraph, and you may think "well no poo poo." And then note how it equates the "maximum allowable" limit with the "safe" limit. And the reference for the maximum limit is a broken link. If you do serious work in nutritional science, you know how to cite your sources.

This is just the tip of the iceberg but this isn't really the place to go through it line by line. You get my drift I'm sure. But don't eat too much instant ramen anyway because nutritionally it's crap food.

Hell, I would've appreciated it if you did. All I know is that they say that 5 grams of TBHQ is lethal and then it's like there's only 400 milligrams of it in it to begin with or something. Either way, I'm not scared of chemicals I can't pronounce or that they get used in different things, because believing that every ingredient is created specifically for one item is ludicrous.

Basically, I posted it because I was skeptical but it'd be good to ask people who know what to look for or what they're talking about for a second opinion.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

sweeperbravo posted:

blown glass tampons

Yikes.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

That's the real kicker, they don't even tell you how much is actually in it, just that it is.

Googling "ramen tbhq" brought up a reddit thread and this line:

quote:

Maximum TBHQ for a package if following FDA regulations is 2,5mg, 400 times less than what can cause any of the symptoms they list.
Note that even the "safe" dose is 0.05 mg per kg of body weight. And really, as soon as you notice stuff like that in an article, you can pretty much chuck it because you know they're just trying to scare you.

Also, it's bad when your digestive system takes longer to digest something? Then those processed foods without fiber that break down quickly must actually be pretty good for you.

And then there's this bit:

quote:

what else is found in a typical serving of instant noodles?

quote:

found Benzopyrene (a cancer-causing substance) in six brands of noodles made by Nong Shim Company Ltd. Although the KFDA said the amounts were minuscule and not harmful, Nong Shim did identify particular batches of noodles with a problem, prompting a recall
If stuff gets recalled that's not a typical serving, it's a production fault. More scare tactics.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

My Lovely Horse posted:

Also, it's bad when your digestive system takes longer to digest something? Then those processed foods without fiber that break down quickly must actually be pretty good for you.

Explosive diarrhea from Chipotle is actually very healthy! The less time the food is spent in your body, the less it gets absorbed and you don't get fat :eng101:

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Got loving dammit, I just got reminded of when I cracked open a cheap can of Cincinnati Chili, thinking it was meaty and chunky, when in reality it was 99% brown sugar+second hand beef water in the worst way you can imagine.

One of the only foods I truly regret eating :smith:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
drat, I want that grilledcheese.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

That's a whole lot of anger directed at tasty ingredients

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I like that he lurked the grilled cheese subreddit for three years before posting.