Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sirr0bin
Aug 16, 2004
damn you! let the rabbits wear glasses!

Sointenly posted:

Any thoughts, good or bad on this fine piece of plastic and magnesium? I like Oscillating spindle sanders, and I like belt sanders... you know where i'm going with this.

On a serious note, i have have a 12" Detla disk sander that is fine and dandy, but i'm thinking this might be a little more mellow for finer work, or finish work. Have seen them for like $50 on CL and kind of tempted.

Jump on it for $50. I love mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Does anyone have any experience with one of those cheapo laser engravers? Been thinking of getting one.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Any recommendations for a reasonably priced dial indicator? Pretty sure my miter saw is all kinds of unsquare

EDIT - This one seems like a good deal, anything I should watch out for?

https://www.amazon.com/Indicator-Ma...=dial+indicator

Super Waffle fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Sep 20, 2016

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Frogmanv2 posted:

Does anyone have any experience with one of those cheapo laser engravers? Been thinking of getting one.

I'm curious about this as well. There are some mega cheap Chinese models out there.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BUGS OF SPRING posted:

I'm curious about this as well. There are some mega cheap Chinese models out there.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3739294

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

Frogmanv2 posted:

I own an older revision of
https://fslaser.com/Product/Hobby
I bought it in 2011 and it was like $2500 at the time. It performs as-advertised, pretty good precision/accuracy on cuts. The software to drive it has really annoying licensing mechanisms but works great once you get that sorted out.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Super Waffle posted:

Pretty sure my miter saw is all kinds of unsquare

I have a couple DI but prefer my Wixey for setting up saws.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

MrPete posted:

Two I know of in the UK are Toolstop and Axminster (mostly because they ship international) but they've been good to deal with.

Thats great. Thanks.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

wormil posted:

I have a couple DI but prefer my Wixey for setting up saws.

You mean one of these little guys?

https://www.amazon.com/Wixey-WR300-Type-Digital-Backlight/dp/B00T6YZ0K6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1474465669&sr=8-2&keywords=wixey

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

Super Waffle posted:

Any recommendations for a reasonably priced dial indicator? Pretty sure my miter saw is all kinds of unsquare

EDIT - This one seems like a good deal, anything I should watch out for?

https://www.amazon.com/Indicator-Ma...=dial+indicator

Don't buy unbranded measuring tools, especially mechanical ones that rely on precision components. SPI is a "good enough" brand. You can get their drop indicators for ~$40 on sale, sometimes cheaper used on eBay. I've got a pair of 24-313-9 and a 24-300-6 for daily abuse.

Get a base separate, they're simple so anything will be fine. If you're using it all the time, a Noga arm is fancy and will make women like you.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Any recommendations for a pipe threader? I'll need to thread some 1" rigid metal conduit for a ~50-60' run with six or seven 90° bends. I'm seeing multiple tools that basically consist of a ratcheting head and a set of interchangeable die cutters, and they all have mediocre reviews; are the tools just hard to use, or are they actually bad tools? Stepping up to a power tool would greatly increase the cost, and seems excessive for a job this size.

EDIT: or there's a Ridgid threader that costs $75 and you have to purchase individual dies at another $75 apiece, so $150 for what I need. Sort of an intermediary between the dirt-cheap options and the uber-expensive power tools.

TooMuchAbstraction fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Sep 21, 2016

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

You can almost certainly get most of your money back on the tool (probably not the die) selling it after this job. You could also abuse a warranty or returns if you felt that way.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Any recommendations for a pipe threader? I'll need to thread some 1" rigid metal conduit for a ~50-60' run with six or seven 90° bends. I'm seeing multiple tools that basically consist of a ratcheting head and a set of interchangeable die cutters, and they all have mediocre reviews; are the tools just hard to use, or are they actually bad tools? Stepping up to a power tool would greatly increase the cost, and seems excessive for a job this size.

EDIT: or there's a Ridgid threader that costs $75 and you have to purchase individual dies at another $75 apiece, so $150 for what I need. Sort of an intermediary between the dirt-cheap options and the uber-expensive power tools.
Does code in your area not allow for emt conduit?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Slugworth posted:

Does code in your area not allow for emt conduit?

I asked the inspector about that; he said for exterior applications, you need to use rigid. I guess EMT is interior only, which makes some sense as it's nowhere near as durable.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Isn't rigid plastic conduit an option? That stuff's easy peasy.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Bad Munki posted:

Isn't rigid plastic conduit an option? That stuff's easy peasy.

I've never even heard of "rigid plastic conduit". Do you mean PVC conduit? I'm using that for the direct burial section of the run, but if it's exposed, it embrittles due to UV light. You can paint it to give it some protection, but even aside from that it's just not as durable as the thick-walled metal conduit, which is important for electrical conduit that might get hit by e.g. a gardening tool.

However, one of the things I'm looking at is that RMC is apparently available in both steel and aluminum variations. I'd prefer aluminum a) because it won't rust, and b) because the lighter weight would make it vastly easier to install. However I seem to recall reading that aluminum tends to gum up cutting tools, which could be a concern for the pipe threader. I'm guessing it should be okay so long as I clean the die out regularly.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Not sure what the exact material is, but basically. It's some dark-grey stuff, I saw it coming out of my last house for underground electrical runs to a few places. So it'd be exposed, but only for like a foot before it'd dive underground. This isn't my area, I was just speaking from having seen the stuff in use in what sounds like a similar application and briefly looking into the assembly thereof. :)

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Bad Munki posted:

Not sure what the exact material is, but basically. It's some dark-grey stuff, I saw it coming out of my last house for underground electrical runs to a few places. So it'd be exposed, but only for like a foot before it'd dive underground. This isn't my area, I was just speaking from having seen the stuff in use in what sounds like a similar application and briefly looking into the assembly thereof. :)

Ah yeah, that'd be schedule 40 or 80 PVC conduit. I have 20' of schedule 80 in my workshop waiting to go into the trench. It's fine (good, even) for burial because it's not exposed to UV and not in danger of casual contact, but it's not fine for exposed. My local inspector actually required me to use metal for the ends of the trench run, so the PVC isn't exposed whatsoever; his claimed reason was a weedwhacker could cut through embrittled PVC and electrocute someone.

Anyway, went ahead and placed an order for the Ridgid threader tools. Gonna head to Home Depot to get some tools that would otherwise take forever to ship, and to see if maybe they have aluminum rigid conduit.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Ah yeah, that'd be schedule 40 or 80 PVC conduit. I have 20' of schedule 80 in my workshop waiting to go into the trench. It's fine (good, even) for burial because it's not exposed to UV and not in danger of casual contact, but it's not fine for exposed. My local inspector actually required me to use metal for the ends of the trench run, so the PVC isn't exposed whatsoever; his claimed reason was a weedwhacker could cut through embrittled PVC and electrocute someone.

Anyway, went ahead and placed an order for the Ridgid threader tools. Gonna head to Home Depot to get some tools that would otherwise take forever to ship, and to see if maybe they have aluminum rigid conduit.

The aluminum is IMC and isn't stocked at HDs around here atleast. Call around electrical supply houses. They may even have to order it for you but its a lot easier to work with than RMC. Unless you are well practiced at bending, order more than you think you need, you will mess up bends as you learn.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

iForge posted:

The aluminum is IMC and isn't stocked at HDs around here atleast. Call around electrical supply houses. They may even have to order it for you but its a lot easier to work with than RMC. Unless you are well practiced at bending, order more than you think you need, you will mess up bends as you learn.

Yeah, they didn't have aluminum. Went ahead and just bought the steel; I'll just plan on painting it to provide rust protection. But gently caress bending; I just bought a bunch of fittings for the angles I need to do. Three elbows with pullouts for the tight angles (and also to satisfy the "have a pull point every 360°" requirement), three broader 90° curves for angles where it doesn't need to be a tight 90° bend.

Thanks for the advice, though.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

I have this one:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0054RJ7VC/ref=pd_cp_469_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=JERJFAR1RN4J8TDNA7Q7

I guess it's "little," relative to some things... seems like an odd choice of adjective.

As for DI, I own a Steelex D1056 and this one from Little Machine Shop. I like the Steelex a tiny bit better but they are nearly identical, both are fine for what I'm doing (woodworking machine setup). I have 2 bases, a super cheap Chinese one and an American made one (can't remember the brand). The magnet parts are a wash, both work equally well. The parts that connect to the indicator are more important the Chinese one is kind of frustrating and harder to use. For woodworking machines I would splurge and buy a better base with an articulating arm, the standard arms aren't ideal for things like saws. Matter of fact it's probably more useful to make your own dedicated bases.

edit VVVVVV it's not the size, it's the motion with the lotion - or something like that. VVVV

wormil fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Sep 22, 2016

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

wormil posted:

I guess it's "little," relative to some things... seems like an odd choice of adjective.

Don't worry, it's a good size.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Any recommendations for a good, quiet air compressor? I need something for inflating car tire, a few airbrushing projects, and the occasional nail gun use. But since It'll be getting some indoor use, it'd be nice to have an air compressor that ran quieter than the jackhammer-like Campbell Hausfeld one that I had previously.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Sep 23, 2016

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
No experience myself but the California brand available from Amazon has been recommended in the thread a few times for smaller compressors

swampface
Apr 30, 2005

Soiled Meat

melon cat posted:

Any recommendations for a good, quiet air compressor? I need something for inflating car tire, a few airbrushing projects, and the occasional nail gun. But since It'll be getting some indoor use, it'd be nice to have an air compressor that ran quieter than the jackhammer-like Campbell Hausfeld one that I had previously.

I picked up the Makita Mac700 this year and have found it to be pretty quiet and fills up the tank fast. It is heavy and expensive though.

Tony Doughnuts
Aug 12, 2016

There are, in fact, still motherfuckers who gotta ice skate up hill
Been watching AvE a lot recently and I saw his video about the endoscope you plug into your phone. I need one. Problem is there's 2000000 manufacturers for them on amazon. Anyone have any particular recommendations on them?

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

melon cat posted:

Any recommendations for a good, quiet air compressor? I need something for inflating car tire, a few airbrushing projects, and the occasional nail gun use. But since It'll be getting some indoor use, it'd be nice to have an air compressor that ran quieter than the jackhammer-like Campbell Hausfeld one that I had previously.

I had a small Senco that was pretty decent for very small projects and the noise level was pretty decent on it. It just turned out to be too small for my needs. I've heard both the California brand as previously mentioned as well as the Rolair JC10 as being some of the quieter compressors on the market.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Tony Doughnuts posted:

Been watching AvE a lot recently and I saw his video about the endoscope you plug into your phone. I need one. Problem is there's 2000000 manufacturers for them on amazon. Anyone have any particular recommendations on them?

I got this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/272038868657?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Requires an Android with USB OTG support.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

I got that same one off Amazon and it delivered next day. However the 45 degree mirror was missing. After complaining, the seller sent a fresh batch of all attachments 2 weeks later.

I feel like the scope market is still a crap shoot, but most microUSB cameras on Amazon with 4 stars with 20+ ratings under $20 are probably fine.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Plus side is it will more than pay for itself with all the blackmarket colonoscopies you can do!

Tony Doughnuts
Aug 12, 2016

Thanks for the help guys. Just picked one with a lot if reviews that was 4.5 stars. Had some amazon monies from my amazon credit card so I doubled up on my order.

Parts Kit posted:

Plus side is it will more than pay for itself with all the blackmarket colonoscopies you can do!

I ordered 2 to double my profit!

Motronic posted:

Requires an Android with USB OTG support.

I have a galaxy s7 so no worries.

Tony Doughnuts fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Sep 24, 2016

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

Can I get some thoughts on this?

https://orlando.craigslist.org/tls/5797117389.html

From what I recall this is a pretty good saw, but for some reason he built his own base? Do they sell the bases separately? I'm not too bothered by it for that price to be honest though. I had planned on getting the $600 Delta from Lowe's, this one is pretty comparable. Is that missing base a red flag?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Super Waffle posted:

Can I get some thoughts on this?

For $180 you should be all over it. Offer $150 and hold out the cash, he'll probably take it. The base is usually just stamped sheet metal, anything you build will be as good or better.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

wormil posted:

For $180 you should be all over it. Offer $150 and hold out the cash, he'll probably take it. The base is usually just stamped sheet metal, anything you build will be as good or better.

Ok cool, I'll try and pick it up tomorrow, will post results!

Tony Doughnuts
Aug 12, 2016

Make sure you make a big show of inspecting the saw. Even if you have no clue what you're looking for. Just follow these easy steps

1. Give it a 360 walk around looking it up and down.
2. Squat down and look at it from below and give a small grimace.
3. Grab some random piece and give it a good jiggle and then let out a small "hmph" just loud enough to hear.
4. Act like you're having an internal debate with yourself. Tilting your head left and right while looking up with just your eyes.
5. Stand back up up and rub your chin for a minute while staring at the saw.
6. Drop your arms to your side look the guy straight in the eyes. Pull out 140 bucks in cash and say "ill give you 140 take it or leave it" while looking at hi. Expectantly.
7. If he says no simply say ok, thank him for his time and walk to your car.
8. He will most likely follow and. Counteroffer for 160. Keep walking and ignore him. Hell drop another 10 to 150. Your choice to agree or continue walking to get him lower.
9. Enjoy your new saw.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

Thanks for the advice but I'm going to pass on the saw. I didn't realize that this model has the motor hanging out back, space is pretty tight in my shop and it won't be as maneuverable as the Delta. Also I don't think this thing will fit in my dads hatchback :v:. Also looks like the back part of the fence on the far right is cut off or broken. I'm probably being nitpicky but I dunno, just not feeling this saw for some reason.

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]
I have that saw and it works well. It'll fit fine in the hatchback if you remove the 10 or so bolts holding the wings and rails on. I doubt the back rail is damaged, it's probably just not adjusted properly.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
I was gonna jump in and say that I hardly ever use my table saw it takes up to much space in my garage you'd be better served with other stuff blah blah blah but that is a reaaally nice saw. Cast iron table top, mobile base, belt driven contractor saw... If you're in the market, offer 160 and be quick, that thing is probably going to sell fast.

I betcha he fabricobbled that base together because a saw specific mobile base is stupid expensive for what it is, whereas a furniture dolly and cabinet is like ten bucks if you've got a line on trash bound cabinets.

E: Rivng knife and kickback pawls would be nice on the saw, but just be careful around it.

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Sep 26, 2016

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I like the clipboard holder, might have to fabricate me one of those.

On the subject of saws, I was digging through my pile of sawblades and found 3, 7-1/4" 60T combination blades that someone gave me a long time ago and I forgot about them. No brand name or markings. Steel teeth with a wide set like a hand saw. I have a Freud 60T Ultra fine finish blade but I've never seen a combination style blade for a circular saw (7.25") and I've never seen a 60T combination blade, they are usually 50T. And I've never seen blades with such a wide set. They are just oddball all around. Might throw one on the saw tomorrow and see how it cuts.

edit; found them.

Master Mechanic 60 Teeth Combo Blade 7-1/4 in. 155408
http://www.midlandhardware.com/155408.html

wormil fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Sep 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

melon cat posted:

I have a California Air tools 5510SE, and it's amazingly quiet. It's about as loud as a mid-80s fridge when running, and I can have a regular conversation right next to it without issues. Compared to my Harbor Freight special which would rattle the fillings out of your skull, this thing is amazing. And they're about the same price +- $40 or so.