Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

The Grammar Aryan posted:

I did what was effectively T2 QA for a small game development company for a few years. Players noticed an occasionally-reproducible bug, something minor but noticeable. I tail the logs, start trying to repro, and then the phrase "gently caress, I don't know, something went wrong" pops up into my terminal. It turns out there was a race condition that was triggering reproduced code (lazy programmers!) which triggered a failure fallback that should never have been able to happen (the one good programmer!).

ew

At least the :siren: Code Purple :siren: was well documented.

It was a thing with HP Desktops that failed some hardware checksum to make sure you were installing the image on the actual computer it was supposed to be. Turns out that desktop had it's motherboard replaced several months before, and the guy who replaced it (under warranty) used a refurbished, non OEM part. I'm assuming it was intentionally ambiguous to hide it's actual meaning, which was completely defeated by 30 seconds on Google.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

orange-white, orange. green-n-white, blue. blue-n-white, green. brownin-white, brown.

These words have rolled through my head probably 20 thousand times.

Many years ago I had a team tasked with something nearly impossible, we had to terminate 32 fully populated patch panels, and make all of the panel to switch and panel to <gear> cables, in a weekend. At one point there were 4 of us making cables at the same time, singing that color pattern like a funeral dirge. It went on for hours like that.

40 years from now when Alzheimer's gets me, I'll still remember how to make a cable.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Next year we're replacing our core switch and the boss man wants us to re-cable everything. Currently 10 stacks of 48-port blades.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

GreenNight posted:

Next year we're replacing our core switch and the boss man wants us to re-cable everything. Currently 10 stacks of 48-port blades.

Don't make your own cables.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

DigitalMocking posted:

Buy hundreds of each length of cable, use what you need, return the rest if your company is super cheap (and if you're able), or keep the rest for spares.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

DigitalMocking posted:

Never would I ever. We're too smart for that.

If we're spending 100k+ on a new switch we can buy new cables too.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

DigitalMocking posted:

Orrrrrrrrrr...

You could make your own cables. (But please for the love of GOD get stranded cable)

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
SAP is a big piece of poo poo and I hate it

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

From my experience in the audio world, as long as you know your way around a soldering iron and you're not a baby about it, DEFINITELY make your own cables.

Again, I'm talking XLR and TRS. In terms of ethernet or other things, yeah, no. I'd just buy them.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I don't feel like a proper tech guy because I've never crimped my own cables before.

On the other hand, I feel blessed because I've never had to crimp my own cables before.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Sep 20, 2016

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

MF_James posted:

I'm still waiting for FTP (Fist Through Phone) to be developed so I can strangle/punch idiots I'm on the phone with.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Just buy monster cables for everything.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Renegret posted:

I don't feel like a proper tech guy because I've never crimped my own cables before.

On the other hand, I feel blessed because I've never had to crimp my own cables before.

I crimped my own cables in college because we were running wiring through our fraternity and paying dudes to do that was expensive, so we bought a giant spool, me and another guy spent a night drinking and crimping cables. It was fine then, because broke college kids, but now? gently caress no.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Yeah why make my own when I can get premium high end *copper* plated super-awesome digitally lossless Monster cables for twenty times what they're worth?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

MF_James posted:

I crimped my own cables in college because we were running wiring through our fraternity and paying dudes to do that was expensive, so we bought a giant spool, me and another guy spent a night drinking and crimping cables. It was fine then, because broke college kids, but now? gently caress no.

Quality certified!

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Data Graham posted:

Quality certified!

haha yup, the cables all turned out fine except 2-3 of them, and surprise surprise those were the last few we made because by that point I was 20ish beers in because we made a game out of it, if I recall it was finishing a beer before the other guy finished a cable otherwise you had to do the next cable or something like that.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Go bigger, get high-end audiophile cables. The question then is, since Ethernet is directional, do you point them from the network gear out for better user performance, or from the user gear in, for better server performance?!

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Inspector_666 posted:

Go bigger, get high-end audiophile cables. The question then is, since Ethernet is directional, do you point them from the network gear out for better user performance, or from the user gear in, for better server performance?!

lol what in the actual gently caress?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

lol what in the actual gently caress?

https://www.amazon.com/263-Audioquest-Diamond-Ethernet-Cable/dp/B0073HJVSK

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Inspector_666 posted:

The feng shui of cabling :allears:

"You'll see that the data transfer rate is higher in the northern room, mostly due to the paint colour of the walls, and the bird bath we have in the corner."

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Oh I'm aware of how ridiculous audiophiles are. I've dabbled a bit myself.
I'm just :psyduck: at directional ethernet.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
In order to fabricate copper or silver into a strand or conductor, it is first cast and then drawn (squeezed through a die). Even finest high-purity metals have imperfections and grain structure, which due to the direction of casting and drawing become non-symmetrical structures without the conductor. In ways which are not fully understood, both analog and digital audio performance is significantly affected by these non-linearities. While AudioQuest doesn't pretend to fully understawnd this obvious distortion mechanicm, the solution is understood 100%. Use the conductors in the direction which reduces distoration!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Yeah why make my own when I can get premium high end *copper* plated super-awesome digitally lossless Monster cables for twenty times what they're worth?
I got to tell someone about monoprice.com yesterday :shobon:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I got to tell someone about monoprice.com yesterday :shobon:

Blessings to you.

The last time I used monoprice was last year, after we moved. I literally learned if the whole 'Ethernet through power outlets" thing, was blown away by the technology and fact that I'd never heard of it until then, and immediately bought a pair of connectors/receivers/whatever they're called.

Still working flawlessly. :toot:

MF_James
May 8, 2008

^-- powerline adapters rock, if I owned the place I live in now, I'd run proper cabling, but gently caress if i'm going to drill through 3 walls to get network connectivity to my office in the back of my apartment.

anthonypants posted:

In order to fabricate copper or silver into a strand or conductor, it is first cast and then drawn (squeezed through a die). Even finest high-purity metals have imperfections and grain structure, which due to the direction of casting and drawing become non-symmetrical structures without the conductor. In ways which are not fully understood, both analog and digital audio performance is significantly affected by these non-linearities. While AudioQuest doesn't pretend to fully understawnd this obvious distortion mechanicm, the solution is understood 100%. Use the conductors in the direction which reduces distoration!

awwww poo poo I found this cable for only $1100 somewhere else, I'm going to corner the loving market by buying all of those and putting mine up on amazon for half the price listed there!

Also, did anyone read the amazon reviews? Pretty sure no one has actually bought the cable (obviously with good reason), some of the fake reviews are hilarious.

quote:

My Mother has cancer and she is not very mobile. She loves surfing the web and reading things. I figured since every second counts for her she needs top speed. Every last millisecond counts. I don't want her waiting an extra millisecond. I noticed absolutely no difference on latency however when mother would set down to the computer the monitor would glow every color in the visible spectrum. When I disconnected Audioquest diamond no glowing.was present. After taking her to the doctor they confirmed the cancer was gone. I will keep this cable around for when the fast food and beer catch up to me.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

ConfusedUs posted:

Error messages are hard. You have to know your target audience inside and out to make good ones. You can't say "remote" to non-technical people.

There's also, usually, limited space for the error, so you have to try to make the error clear and concise in very few words.

Every time I ask to remote onto someone's computer, I then say "I want to come on your computer" and they go "ah yes, that, please do!"

and then i giggle :hchatter::gizz:

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
AudioQuest will happily authenticate your audio cable is a Genuine™ AudioQuest cable if you mail it to them for a look-see. If it's real, they mail it back to you. Fake ? They toss it into a shredder and (insert Willy Wonka "YOU GET NOTHING! GOOD DAY SIR!" :fuckoff: meme picture here)

It's like a Catch-22. If it's real, you deprived yourself of the cable for a week or so. If it's fake, you no longer have a cable to maybe try and return to wherever the hell you got it from :shrug: .

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

DigitalMocking posted:

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

DigitalMocking posted:

Now for someone (preferably with talent) to rewrite Dio's "Don't Talk To Strangers".

"Don't make your cables" even scans nicely.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

MREBoy posted:

AudioQuest will happily authenticate your audio cable is a Genuine™ AudioQuest cable if you mail it to them for a look-see. If it's real, they mail it back to you. Fake ? They toss it into a shredder sell it back to you from their "fake chinese knock-off amazon account"

ftfy

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

Now for someone (preferably with talent) to rewrite Dio's "Don't Talk To Strangers".

"Don't make your cables" even scans nicely.

Don't make your cables
Cause the copper wire will do you harm
Don't cut your fingers
As you trim it off the reel

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
The silliest thing about all this is that there is actual material science involved in making wires, cables, etc. Different strand materials, insulation materials, etc. are all chosen to give it different properties. I mean, you've got shielded cables, sturdier cables, oxidation-resistant cables, etc.

Like, these things matter. It's why you have Cat5, Cat5e, Cat6, etc. It's why running your unshielded audio line over your power strip is stupid.

But no, instead of science, "We don't know why it's better but it is! Give us 5 thousand dollars for this magic cable."

quote:

I mean, as someone who actually studied material science, this is just hilarious to me. I'm not in the cable industry but I'm pretty sure that after copper cable is drawn, it is annealed, which definitely makes the bulk material isotropic (non-directional, vs. anisotropic, where the property is different depending on which direction you're measuring). "Non-linearities", what even is that. AudioQuest doesn't pretend to fully understand basic material science but somehow they have the solution down pat.

I know I'm stating the obvious/preaching to the choir when I say that cable companies (amongst others) are so full of poo poo and prey on stupid to make their money, but man, these people are unbelievable.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

totalnewbie posted:

The silliest thing about all this is that there is actual material science involved in making wires, cables, etc. Different strand materials, insulation materials, etc. are all chosen to give it different properties. I mean, you've got shielded cables, sturdier cables, oxidation-resistant cables, etc.

Like, these things matter. It's why you have Cat5, Cat5e, Cat6, etc. It's why running your unshielded audio line over your power strip is stupid.

But no, instead of science, "We don't know why it's better but it is! Give us 5 thousand dollars for this magic cable."

I mean, as someone who actually studied material science, this is just hilarious to me. I'm not in the cable industry but I'm pretty sure that after copper cable is drawn, it is annealed, which definitely makes the bulk material isotropic (non-directional, vs. anisotropic, where the property is different depending on which direction you're measuring). "Non-linearities", what even is that. AudioQuest doesn't pretend to fully understand basic material science but somehow they have the solution down pat.

I know I'm stating the obvious/preaching to the choir when I say that cable companies (amongst others) are so full of poo poo and prey on stupid to make their money, but man, these people are unbelievable.

Dude. Man. Bro. Brah. You don't get it. Materials are in harmony with the universe. They, like the universe, flow like a river. Non-linearities are the rocks that create rapids. Man, you don't want to hear the screams of the dying while you are trying to mellow out to some Mark Knopfler, do you? Of course not because then you couldn't flow with the universe. Tune into the universe, man. It'll reward you.

We are lucky companies like AudioWhatsits exists to create the most pure and universally harmonious music conduction devices. You should thank them for bringing harmony to you for so cheap.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQR98BBu05s

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

:mmmhmm:

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
A ticket came in: The owner of the company conferenced me in with a friend of his who said he plugged in the wrong power supply to a hard drive enclosure, and that after trying to power it on, the drive won't spin up even with the right power supply. I'm going to recommend trying a different enclosure in case that got fried, but assuming the drive itself was damaged, do yall have any recommendations for consumer-level Mac hard drive data recovery? As someone who backs up everything I don't want to lose, I have zero experience with this sort of thing.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
A boss came in.
Opens discussion with "I don't want to be a micromanager, and I am not controlling."
Literally spends the rest of the hour interjecting, and telling them one by one how each and every single thing should be done. Including, but not limited to, "No you're wrong. It needs to be, <repeats what you said verbatim>" :jerkbag:

What a lovely life that must be.

Edit: I guess that's more of a IT 3.0 thread thing, so here's another one.

A ticket came in:
Blackberry finally shut off their cloud services today. So all those people who didn't follow the instructions we sent out to enable IMAP emails can't send us tickets telling us that their email doesn't work. :D

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Sep 20, 2016

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

So all those people who didn't follow the instructions we sent out to enable IMAP emails can't send us tickets telling us that their email doesn't work. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lz9810Y7ZRw

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is the BlackBerry shutdown a region-specific thing? I'm struggling to find anything about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I had a family member once interview for a management position, it had like 8 rounds of interviews with different levels of management.

At each of the first seven rounds, she got asked at least twice how she handled micromanagement.

At the last round, she met the director, who didn't ask about micromanagement.
She said "So, I guess you're the micromanager. Huh."

She did get offered the job, the price wasn't right though.

• Locked thread