Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

GhostStalker posted:

Thanks, I guess? And sure, there are annoying people who compete on Jeopardy. I make fun of them myself sometimes (and then feel bad about it later). But the peanut gallery sometimes gets all up in arms about the most asinine poo poo about a particular contestant, and it's just annoying when they take to social media to slag them like that. At least, that's how I feel.

for me it's mostly just talking to people irl about it. like that woman who would dragged out words for god loving knows what reason. i wouldn't go tweeting an her.

one hundreeddddddddddd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Groovelord Neato posted:

for me it's mostly just talking to people irl about it. like that woman who would dragged out words for god loving knows what reason. i wouldn't go tweeting an her.

Yeah, I do that myself. That's fairly harmless, Vaughn Winchell says he even does it too when people post complaints and stuff out in the open.

Tweeting or harassing people over Facebook is worse, which is what I was talking about.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Wade Wilson posted:

You'd think that if that were actually true the website that you go through to register for and take the test would be updated accordingly.

Sony just updated the Jeopardy website earlier today with the new test dates confirmed as next month.

https://www.jeopardy.com/be-a-contestant/

Try it out, if you think you can do better than I did, I'll be happy to furnish any of you guys the email to one of the Contestant Coordinators as a referral if you think you did well enough after taking it!

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
The signup page won't work for me because it says my birthday is invalid. On my profile page it thinks I was born in the year 0011 and it won't let me change it. I emailed their support address but lol.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

GhostStalker posted:

Sony just updated the Jeopardy website earlier today with the new test dates confirmed as next month.

https://www.jeopardy.com/be-a-contestant/

Try it out, if you think you can do better than I did, I'll be happy to furnish any of you guys the email to one of the Contestant Coordinators as a referral if you think you did well enough after taking it!

Done. It'll probably be the 8pm test since that'll be the only one I'll be able to do when not at work.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I also signed up, I just do them for fun though since I usually get in the 30 range (I know literally nothing about America or books and I'm too lazy to learn about them) and so never good enough to be considered for an audition. It's still fun though!

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

zakharov posted:

The signup page won't work for me because it says my birthday is invalid. On my profile page it thinks I was born in the year 0011 and it won't let me change it. I emailed their support address but lol.

I kinda remember you saying that you did an audition recently, like last year. Are you still swimming in the contestant pool or has your 18 months of eligibility run out? Pretty sure you know that Jeopardy frowns on people taking the test again if they're still in the pool, so I'm just checking.

Wade Wilson posted:

Done. It'll probably be the 8pm test since that'll be the only one I'll be able to do when not at work.

HookShot posted:

I also signed up, I just do them for fun though since I usually get in the 30 range (I know literally nothing about America or books and I'm too lazy to learn about them) and so never good enough to be considered for an audition. It's still fun though!

Good luck next month then, guys. The rumored unofficial cutoff is around 35, so if you think you made that when you take this test, the referral email offer is open to all. Just let me know after you take it next month and you think you made it, though as I said before, I might be a bit busy and not get back to you guys as soon as possible with it since my birthday is on and NYCC starts on the last day of the tests.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Sep 12, 2016

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Jeopardy support actually fixed my birthday problem, hooray! I auditioned May 2014 and didn't get the call so I should be good.

Also, NEW EPISODE TONIGHT

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

zakharov posted:

Jeopardy support actually fixed my birthday problem, hooray! I auditioned May 2014 and didn't get the call so I should be good.

Also, NEW EPISODE TONIGHT

Fair enough, good luck this time around!

Where's the local audition site this test cycle anyway?

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Wow, two contestants missing a cakewalk Final on the first episode back? At least the new champ got a big payday from it.

Also, was it just me, or did they change the sound effect for populating the board with clues during the Jeopardy round? I didn't notice if they used it as well for Double Jeopardy though, so maybe it was just me?

Congrats to Trebek and Johnny Gilbert starting their 33rd season. Hope this one will be as good as all the previous ones, and they go on to do many more together.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

When the question is basically "where is Phuket" and you are on Jeopardy you should get that question imo

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

GhostStalker posted:

Also, was it just me, or did they change the sound effect for populating the board with clues during the Jeopardy round? I didn't notice if they used it as well for Double Jeopardy though, so maybe it was just me?

They totally changed it, it made me yell out. No more boop-boops, it sounds more intense like some Who Wants to be a Millionaire thing.

I'm still mad that they toned down the electric guitar solos during the commercial outros/intros a few seasons ago too.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

philippines? viet loving nam???

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Another relatively easy triple stumper on today's Final. Hope it picks up soon, I wanna see some big paydays.

Ror posted:

They totally changed it, it made me yell out. No more boop-boops, it sounds more intense like some Who Wants to be a Millionaire thing.

Yeah, a bunch of old Jeopardy contestants on my Facebook feed were talking about it too. Gonna need some getting used to, that's definitely for sure.

Oh, and I just got an email from Sony about the Jeopardy contestant test earlier today, with the heading "This Could Be Your Year!" Nope, my year was 2 years ago and now I'm not eligible anymore, having been on once already. A lot of former Jeopardy contestants on my feed mentioned getting the same emails as well and the slight mockery that receiving them entailed.

Don't get my hopes up for a return engagement, dammit!

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Sep 14, 2016

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I know it's been only two days but so far the quality of the contestants has been... not great.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

HookShot posted:

I know it's been only two days but so far the quality of the contestants has been... not great.
Are they doing this on purpose? It was the same thing last season until the last couple months (Matt Jackson excluded).

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

HookShot posted:

Yeah, I kinda feel the same. Hope they pick it up soon.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

they shoulda put "affair" in bold imo

Jeep
Feb 20, 2013
How did no one get that FJ :aaaaa:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

dude that was unreal.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I know SFA about movies or books and even I got that one in like 3 seconds.

Wolf Pussy
Jul 7, 2016

by R. Dieovich
Dorcas was clearly Margaret Carlson, fresh from the fountain of youth middle age.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Never thought id see the words "who is goku?" appear on jeopardy

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

zVxTeflon posted:

That episode just aired here and I had the biggest :stare: on my face.

Although given the way that guy looked, I shouldn't have been surprised. Between that guy, and Seth talking about leading a group that discusses how gentlemen should act, I'm convinced at least one of them is a goon.

TheRecogScene
Aug 22, 2010

I'm gonna miss you when you're gone.
Did Rachel say what the name of her save the postal service Facebook group or whatever is? I zoned out and missed it but it sounds sort of fun.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

zVxTeflon posted:

Not sure what I expected when I saw the Final Jeopardy clue in the New York Times today, but it certainly wasn't that...

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

zVxTeflon posted:

Half the fun was how confused it made Alex.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CaligulaKangaroo posted:

Half the fun was how confused it made Alex.

Clearly he was looking for his full name.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

Clearly he was looking for his full name.

I would think "Who is Son Goku?" would've confused him even more.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

trebeck didn't get it when that guy made the family guy jeopardy reference as his final jeopardy response.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
and yet he remembers everything about the etruscans.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
"Who is Frankenstein" should not have been accepted, the doctor is named Frankenstein and the monster has no name :colbert:

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
How could anyone not get Ikea, I didn't even need to finish reading the clue

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

haveblue posted:

"Who is Frankenstein" should not have been accepted, the doctor is named Frankenstein and the monster has no name :colbert:

While technically correct (the best kind of correct), as far as I can tell Jeopardy's rule is pretty much of it shows up in a reference work it's acceptable. Lots of dictionaries and whatnot will list Frankenstein as a common-use name of the monster with more or less exactly your caveat added.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I would have accepted "Adam"

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Ah another shining example of absolutely terrible FJ wagering today

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I dislike Miranda so intensely it hurts me a little bit

Jeep
Feb 20, 2013

Soothing Vapors posted:

I dislike Miranda so intensely it hurts me a little bit

I developed a heart murmur in the 15 seconds after she got FJ right and I thought I was going to have to see her again.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Didn't notice until it was pointed out to me by Jeopardy friends on Facebook, but I guess the consolation prizes are no longer sponsored by Aleve? I was just so used to hearing Johnny Gilbert do that commercial spot for them prior to Final that it faded into the background noise prior to the Final Jeopardy clue reveal that I never noticed it was gone until I made sure to check tonight after being made aware of it, and sure enough, they aren't and Johnny doesn't namedrop them anymore after Final is over either. The old Aleve displays on the contestant runner up podiums after Final are gone as well, though I forget if those had been a thing for a while, as I haven't really focused on that part of the podium for a while now.

Welp, I guess the story of my cousins getting me an ice cream cake from Carvel decorated with the word "Aleve" on it the night my episode aired to celebrate will require a lot more explanation when I tell it in the future...

The Alex Jacob joke response on Final during one of the semifinals of the last ToC won't have the same impact on viewers unaware of it either, I guess. Just talking about it here two pages ago when the ToC reruns were on too.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Sep 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

How.....how was that a triple stumper FJ?

Hooooooowwww

Apple? Apple?! gently caress you.