Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

foxxtrot posted:

I'm interested in games built around auctions, so that I can become more familiar with existing designs for a design I'm noodling about in my head.

Aside from Power Grid and Chicago Express (which have both been mentioned multiple times), what are people's favorite games featuring auctions?

Seconding Ra. I also really enjoyed Stockpile the few times I played it, but it never gets discussed in this thread for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

foxxtrot posted:

I'm interested in games built around auctions, so that I can become more familiar with existing designs for a design I'm noodling about in my head.

Aside from Power Grid and Chicago Express (which have both been mentioned multiple times), what are people's favorite games featuring auctions?

Ra (again), Cyclades, For Sale. It seems like most of the Reiner Knizia games involve auctions so there's a lot to look at.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Dungeon Petz, Keyflower.

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

Biblios... And Keyflower again.

e: Played Abyss the other day and thought that had a neat take on an auction.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Modern Art is a very fulfilling auction-based game that I've seen non-gamers jump into wholeheartedly.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

foxxtrot posted:

Ra, Amun Re, Modern Art

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Tekopo posted:

Holy poo poo I didn't even know this existed, I love Factory Fun!

Yeah I keep meaning to try it. I also love Factory Fun!

Mister Sinewave posted:

I love the name of the remake: Factory Funner :h:

Hexes instead of squares and a few other things probably who cares take mah munny :arghfist::mad: :10bux:

I love the name too. Are the hexes better, worse, just different? Is it worth owning both if we already love FFun?

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Couple of Power Grid questions; is starting on the west coast of the US map a bad idea and why or why not? And wind plants; how much of a trap are they?

I think starting on the west coast is pretty bad unless you are in a 6 player game, one of the east coast zones is turned off, no one else is west coast, and you're building last or next to last.

Wind plants are rarely worth a premium. Early ones can be valuable if you can snag them for close to the sticker price, but the mid capacity ones seem like a real trap to me especially if anyone is running up the bids.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

silvergoose posted:

Yeah I keep meaning to try it. I also love Factory Fun!

I love the name too. Are the hexes better, worse, just different? Is it worth owning both if we already love FFun?

I dunno, I never owned or played the original but the original was always on my Buy On Sight list.

Then suddenly I see this pop up and at first I wondered if I had the name wrong all this time an that's why I couldn't find poo poo :haw:

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

GEMorris posted:

Thanks for the power grid feedback. It's currently a favorite of my group and I have all the expansion maps, but I was wondering if there was something "bad" about it or if there were even better similar games. Sounds like we should try out Chicago express.

Your group might like 18xx if you want something a little heavier. 1846 is coming out next month from GMT and is closer in length and scope to a heavier eurogame than the rest of the series. There are no auctions in '46 but the route building and money management are heavier.

foxxtrot posted:

I've heard good things about Neue Heimat though I haven't played it yet.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Impermanent posted:

Modern Art is a very fulfilling auction-based game that I've seen non-gamers jump into wholeheartedly.

I'm trying to find a good board game for my wife to play instead of eBay, I'm wondering if Modern Art might be the ticket.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Couple of Power Grid questions; is starting on the west coast of the US map a bad idea and why or why not? And wind plants; how much of a trap are they?

GEMorris posted:

Wind plants are rarely worth a premium. Early ones can be valuable if you can snag them for close to the sticker price, but the mid capacity ones seem like a real trap to me especially if anyone is running up the bids.

Seconding this. Some of the power plants, like the 20 or the 25, can be worth almost twice their base value in certain games. But the wind plants are never worth much more than the sticker price. If you have some spare capacity, the wind plants can generate a tidy profit during the early and mid-game. But never get into a bidding war for a renewable plant besides the fusion plant.

INinja132
Aug 7, 2015

What's the consensus on the Gears of War board game? Sounds pretty cool and I know it's OOP but I have a chance to get an MSRP copy. Worth it?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

INinja132 posted:

What's the consensus on the Gears of War board game? Sounds pretty cool and I know it's OOP but I have a chance to get an MSRP copy. Worth it?

It's a successor to the Doom boardgame which is actually getting a reprint. I'd say Imperial Assault is FFG's best of their tabletop adventure lot so get that if you're serious or wait for the Doom reprint.

Kataphract
Oct 15, 2015

Admiral Joeslop posted:

The trouble with starting on the west coast at the very least is you are usually far removed from the cheap spots in the east when the game goes to Step 2. A six player game gets very crowded because only five sections are still in play, so you may have to do it, but you need to take the transfer points so you have an easy way out and others have a hard way in, but generally I just cram my way into the east.

Wind plants can be a trap, more so in a low player count game. Too small, and you end up having to replace them, which is not so bad with the early 2s and maybe 3s because you are going to have to replace those anyway, but if you are trying to make it to 17 cities, you usually don't want to spend a lot in a non five or six. However, in five/six player games, you might be able to make a four power plant last to the end, or even conceivably a three last. If the commodity market is short and you are positioned badly, buying one late can sometimes be the optimal play - better to have a smaller plant that you can power on the final turn, than a larger one that you can't. The best advice I can give is you really don't want to spend lots of mid game money on a plant that you are going to have to replace.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
So I don't know if anyone mentioned it as this is my first time in this thread, but Riot Games is creating a co-op game called Mechs Vs Minions and early reviews of the game have been pretty high praise-wise http://na.leagueoflegends.com/en/featured/mechs-vs-minions

Kataphract
Oct 15, 2015

GEMorris posted:

What is the thread opinion on Power Grid?

My favorite game. Yes, mathy, so if you don't like that, it's not for you, but it's pretty simple math. Lots of different maps with specific variations to give it variety, important and often difficult decisions to make, and when I do badly, I can usually point to a wrong decision I made or chance I took and thus blame myself. I continue to find it challenging and enjoyable.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

INinja132 posted:

I haven't played Imperial Assault (played a bunch of Descent 2E) and I would say mechanically Gears of War is even better than Descent.

It's got interesting rules on cover, the scenarios are complex and varied, the components are really high quality, and the game isn't easy. If you like the source material, definitely give it a shot.

Texibus
May 18, 2008

Kashuno posted:

So I don't know if anyone mentioned it as this is my first time in this thread, but Riot Games is creating a co-op game called Mechs Vs Minions and early reviews of the game have been pretty high praise-wise http://na.leagueoflegends.com/en/featured/mechs-vs-minions

We'll see...

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

Kashuno posted:

A bunch of videos about it came all at once. I watched a Dice Tower one and Watch It Played. Even though WIP wasn't actually reviewing the game, both of them had some similar things to say about it... oddly similar, and with similar phrasing. I don't want to assume that they were both given a list of talking points by the publisher, but it was weird.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Kashuno posted:

Welcome to the thread, we had a laugh a few days ago because a prominent reviewer was like "This game is the absolute best buy it now!!! But I'm not reviewing it because I consulted on it lol"

There are already a few games in the tabletop miniatures skirmish lineup with Arcadia Quest probably being the highest reviewed overall. There's also Rum & Bones which was advertised as the tabletop MOBA but I haven't even seen a copy as it's one of those $400 kickstarter bundle nonsense.

Maybe Riot can actually break onto the scene with a reasonably priced product that's not bloated with stretch goals.

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...

foxxtrot posted:

My group has a problem with public info becoming hidden during a game (like keyples in Keyflower or money in Archipelago), and one of the few auction games I know that doesn't feature that is Cyclades. I don't generally like dudes on a map games or auction games but that one is alright.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
We're getting close to Essen now, what are you all looking forward to this year? I'm really hoping A Feast For Odin, Uwe Rosenberg's new game is good because I like spatial-awarenesss puzzles mixed into my worker placement games. The rules for A Feast for Odin just went up on Z-man's site if anyone's interested. Alban Viard is releasing an expansion to a recent purchase of mine, Small City, and a new game, Tramways which is his take on a train game.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

theroachman posted:

My group has a problem with public info becoming hidden during a game (like keyples in Keyflower or money in Archipelago), and one of the few auction games I know that doesn't feature that is Cyclades. I don't generally like dudes on a map games or auction games but that one is alright.

Side note: Keyflower plays quite well with no hidden trackable information, which is how I and others prefer it, and it's an official variant as of the expansions. Your starting meeples go behind your screen, as do any randomly drawn meeples/skills, but anything you acquire that was public at that time just goes in front of your screen. I suspect Archipelago would be pretty fine as well with the only hidden information being objective cards honestly, but I haven't gone that far yet.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Impermanent posted:

We're getting close to Essen now, what are you all looking forward to this year? I'm really hoping A Feast For Odin, Uwe Rosenberg's new game is good because I like spatial-awarenesss puzzles mixed into my worker placement games. The rules for A Feast for Odin just went up on Z-man's site if anyone's interested. Alban Viard is releasing an expansion to a recent purchase of mine, Small City, and a new game, Tramways which is his take on a train game.

Main things I'm looking forward to are Inis, 7 Wonders Duel: Pantheon and maybe the Simurgh expansion (which I'm secretly hoping comes with replacement parts for the awful wooden resources which are far too large).

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Impermanent posted:

Already bought: Colony, Vinhos Deluxe, Ave Roma.

Definitely buying: Tramways, The Great Zimbabwe if Splotter have it, expansions for Hyperborea, Orleans and Celestia.

Looking at about 80 games overall, most of which I already know I don't want but I'm curious about.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
I'm curious about Adrenaline at Essen since it looks like a better FPS game than what's coming out from other companies.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
So the Sid Meier's Civilization series on the PC is pretty much a highly complex digital board game (yeah, I know there's also a Civilization board game). You could take everything in Civ V and turn that into a board game, and it would take between 10 and 90 minutes for each turn and would require a ton of bookkeeping.
It's real fun because the software automates all that for you.

Un-automating a MOBA and turning it into a board game sounds so incredibly unappealing to me. I just don't get it.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

Feast for Odin and Great Western Trail are up there for me. I already have Indonesia preordered, but I want to get Zimbabwe as well at some point. Ladies of Troyes should be out soon as well.

Other than that I'm going to wait for more feedback on stuff like The Colonists or the new Eklund games. I also want to save some money to pick up 1822 and new Capstone Games releases.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

Un-automating a MOBA and turning it into a board game sounds so incredibly unappealing to me. I just don't get it.

There's parts of a MOBA that I think sound like a good start for a board game: a variety of characters, each with a variety of build paths and progression through the game, working together in interesting ways.

But yeah, there's a lot that doesn't sound like a good fit: tons of items and modifiers and low-meaning units that could create an explosion of book-keeping, and lots of action that in the video game will come down to real-time limits on execution and fast decision making, but in a board game might just be repetitive/auto-pilot (or, worse, super random).

There's no reason it couldn't be a neat game, but I'm also not seeing much reason to get excited. We wanted to like, say, Krosmaster, but it never really clicked.

jmzero fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Sep 21, 2016

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

canyoneer posted:

I would've thought the same about fighting games, but BattleCON exists.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

canyoneer posted:

That's not really what MvM is at all. And as you mentioned, there are plenty of video-boardgame translations that work just fine if it were a MOBA board game. I personally find it pretty exciting that Riot didn't take the easy route and just spit out "The League of Legends Board Game".

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I always liked the roborally style action programming thing, I'd give it a shot based on that alone probably.

I totally thought it WAS league of legends the board game, but then again I barely understand what league of legends is. Btw I'm basically a confused grandpa, some kind soul explain to me what's MOBA?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Mister Sinewave posted:

I always liked the roborally style action programming thing, I'd give it a shot based on that alone probably.

I totally thought it WAS league of legends the board game, but then again I barely understand what league of legends is. Btw I'm basically a confused grandpa, some kind soul explain to me what's MOBA?

MOBA's are an RTS game but instead of controlling entire armies you only control your one character and the AI controls your armies that automatically fight the enemies. It becomes a deathmatch vs the other players (usually in a team vs team setting) to push their army back to their base and destroy it to win. Your character can level up, get new skills, buy items for better stats, etc. It's literally Warcraft 3 hero units but nothing else to control or do.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Thanks! :yayclod:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Mister Sinewave posted:

Multiplayer online battle arena. At its core it's two teams fighting in a symmetrical arena. The heroes respawn at their base so the goal is to destroy it which is usually guarded by special buildings the player characters can't easily destroy. Most games have some kind of weak AI unit (minions or creeps) that follow a set path (lane) and specialize in harassing the enemy or destroying their buildings. The overall strategy involves controlling or "pushing" the lanes, defeating enemy heroes to earn experience and gold, then level up your hero and buy new equipment to overpower the enemy.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

MOBA's are an RTS game but

People say this but to me, it feels closer to a tower defense game than RTS, lacking resources and base expansions and building. Like a team vs team version of Death to Orcs or Battlezone (1998).

Edit: Of course Battlezone was more of an RTS itself but whatever I'm dumb at examples.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I mean, tower defense games are just RTS without army control. They both have building placement and resource management. And given that the original moba was literally a mod for an RTS (aforementioned Warcraft 3), that's why people go there, not to mention the right click control is the same as RTS.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

PerniciousKnid posted:

People say this but to me, it feels closer to a tower defense game than RTS, lacking resources and base expansions and building. Like a team vs team version of Death to Orcs or Battlezone (1998).

It's actually the original RTS. Herzog Zwei came out in 1989 and was the first game to be fully real time with no pauses, base management, unit construction, and resource management. But the bases are predetermined not built and the units follow AI paths instead of direct control. You're harassing your opponent to keep them from building new units while your units destroy the enemy base; basically a MOBA. Then Dune 2 came out and kickstarted the traditional base building game.

Bottom Liner posted:

I mean, tower defense games are just RTS without army control. They both have building placement and resource management. And given that the original moba was literally a mod for an RTS (aforementioned Warcraft 3), that's why people go there, not to mention the right click control is the same as RTS.

Oh yeah, Rampart is totally an RTS and a tower defense, especially the multiplayer competitive versions.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Sep 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

PerniciousKnid posted:

Edit: Of course Battlezone was more of an RTS itself but whatever I'm dumb at examples.

Resources are the money and/or experience you get from fighting, basically combining the combat and economy of traditional RTS games into one action. There isn't base building per se, but there is the element of controlling territory and objectives by properly moving and positioning your forces, while keeping an eye on the enemy's.