Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
If I'm going to have to pay £600 for a google phone it better slip a finger in my butt while it sucks me off.
If this phone looks to be a nope, what's the options for something nexus 5x sized with more than 32gb of storage around the £350-400 mark? I'm seriously flirting with the idea of a Oneplus3 (even though i think its way too big) for lack of knowledge about other decent models.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

beaner69 posted:

Got my 2nd note 7 replacement and no green battery icon, hmmm.

Update just went out for this

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
If the Pixel is waterproof, then I'll buy, otherwise, there's nothing compelling over the N5x (the right Android phone to have right now unless you want a bigger one, then the right phone is the 6p).

Sundar should just come out with a slide that says "NO CAMERA BUMP"

And then the floating head of Matais Duarte can come on in a video to tell us how they dropped the camera bump out of "courage".

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

If its $650 without any amazing features it'll probably be $400 after a few months.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
That'll be what- ~$850 for a 128 XL? Might as well get a 128gb 7 Plus/Pinto 7 for that. At least then it'll have water resistance, Gorilla Glass 5, flash storage that isn't ice age slow, and a not-poo poo camera.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
While I agree that the price is too high, I suspect that people buying through Verizon (aka normal people) won't care so much as they'll just pay on a plan, like they do with their Galaxy and iPhones. I think it will really come down to if Google can actually market this thing well.

For those of us who want to buy the unlocked version direct from Google, though, that price sucks.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Luchadork posted:

While I agree that the price is too high, I suspect that people buying through Verizon (aka normal people) won't care so much as they'll just pay on a plan, like they do with their Galaxy and iPhones. I think it will really come down to if Google can actually market this thing well.

For those of us who want to buy the unlocked version direct from Google, though, that price sucks.

They still look at the monthly price and will see that a Pixel costs just $1/ month less and doesn't have specs that measure up to a Galaxy S7. The screen alone will be enough to sway people in store.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

bull3964 posted:

They still look at the monthly price and will see that a Pixel costs just $1/ month less and doesn't have specs that measure up to a Galaxy S7. The screen alone will be enough to sway people in store.
The Pixel phones are going to have OLED screens, probably made by Samsung just like in the 6P. The 6P even defaults to clown colors like a Samsung until you enable sRGB in developer settings.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

butt dickus posted:

The Pixel phones are going to have OLED screens, probably made by Samsung just like in the 6P. The 6P even defaults to clown colors like a Samsung until you enable sRGB in developer settings.

The smaller pixel device is only going to have a 1080p screen. No matter what you think about what's perceivable at 5", 1080p display for a $650 flagship is inexcusable.

That will directly compete with a QHD screen on the Samsung. Even if people can't readily see it, they will see the difference in specs.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
I TOO HAVE STRONG OPINIONS ABOUT THE RUMORED PRICE OF AN UNANNOUNCED PHONE.

Can't we just wait 2 weeks until we know the pricing and specs then bitch and moan about everything?

Lets leave this thread nice and clear to bitch and moan about Allo starting tomorrow.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

bull3964 posted:

The smaller pixel device is only going to have a 1080p screen. No matter what you think about what's perceivable at 5", 1080p display for a $650 flagship is inexcusable.
Millions of iPhone buyers disagree, since the *big* iPhone is only 1080p and costs even more.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

FunOne posted:

I TOO HAVE STRONG OPINIONS ABOUT THE RUMORED PRICE OF AN UNANNOUNCED PHONE.

Can't we just wait 2 weeks until we know the pricing and specs then bitch and moan about everything?

Lets leave this thread nice and clear to bitch and moan about Allo starting tomorrow.

No. Allo chat belongs in the app thread!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Okay, Hitler. Jeesh!

[Edit: Please don't ban me.]

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Luchadork posted:

The kind of people who would buy a Pixel know better than to buy it from Verizon.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
Rumors are that there will be some kind of financing option through google that does not require a Fi plan. If the phone is really good, and if there is a 0% financing option, then it's definitely a more compelling option.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

That financing option won't be available in Canada and it'll probably be $900 for what's looking to be a very mediocre phone. I'll reserve judgement until the 4th but yeaaaah.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

ilkhan posted:

Millions of iPhone buyers disagree, since the *big* iPhone is only 1080p and costs even more.

Apple doesn't market on specs though. It's a completely different comparison to make.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Other Nougat havers, have you noticed any glitchiness with it? I'm talking mostly about draw artifacting. Often when I change apps I'll have a flash of what looks like a series of squares with an X in it, or a flicker of the previous app but all jumbled and geometric looking. I thought at first it was Awful App, but that's just because it's the one I use the most, I've seen it switching from Chrome to Messenger for example. Another consistent one, which is probably Awful App's fault, is that when I make a post using it, I'll have what looks like the bottom line of a frame border with a little drop shadow on it appear about 2/3 of the way down the screen, and it'll persist until I switch apps again.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Only thing I've noticed is occasionally the keyboard (Fleksy) will wipe out the launcher wallpaper and the bottom 3rd of it will be black. Might be something to do with Tapet :iiam:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Skarsnik posted:

Only thing I've noticed is occasionally the keyboard (Fleksy) will wipe out the launcher wallpaper and the bottom 3rd of it will be black. Might be something to do with Tapet :iiam:

I use Muzei/Tapet on multiple phones and have that issue on all of them, Samsung keyboard, google keyboard, all the same.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

bull3964 posted:

That will directly compete with a QHD screen on the Samsung. Even if people can't readily see it, they will see the difference in specs.

I'd take a 1080p screen over 1440p if that meant better battery life. Does it work that way?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

CLAM DOWN posted:

I use Muzei/Tapet on multiple phones and have that issue on all of them, Samsung keyboard, google keyboard, all the same.

Ah ok

At a guess I'd say it probably happens if Tapet updates when the keyboard is present on screen then and it scales to only fit the rest of it

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

RZA Encryption posted:

I'd take a 1080p screen over 1440p if that meant better battery life. Does it work that way?

Since it has to spend less battery rendering the fewer number of pixels, yes it can. Though it generally comes from processor power savings rather than screen power savings since it still puts out about the same light per square inch.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

RZA Encryption posted:

Yes, better performance, too.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

RZA Encryption posted:

It would, if they didn't always make the smaller and cheaper phones have a tiny battery as well.
Man I wish more phones did what Motorola did with the Maxx and just release a more expensive model with twice the battery size of their regular phone.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

RZA Encryption posted:

The short version is yes if you assume the phone is otherwise identical.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

THF13 posted:

It would, if they didn't always make the smaller and cheaper phones have a tiny battery as well.
Man I wish more phones did what Motorola did with the Maxx and just release a more expensive model with twice the battery size of their regular phone.

Buy a Moto Z and the Battery Pack :haw:

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Everyone posted:

Yes, smaller resolution will result in better battery and performance.

Neato! My Nexus 6's screen is pretty, but not any moreso than my brother's iphone. >1080p seems unnecessary and it sounds like it actually makes the phone worse.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Higher resolution screen is pretty much a requirement for VR which is going to be one of Google's big pushes here with 7.0.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

bull3964 posted:

Higher resolution screen is pretty much a requirement for VR which is going to be one of Google's big pushes here with 7.0.

Yeah I thought Google daydream specified 1440p as a requirement.. Is one of the new pixel phones not compatible or did I miss read something?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Captain Yossarian posted:

Yeah I thought Google daydream specified 1440p as a requirement.. Is one of the new pixel phones not compatible or did I miss read something?

All leaked benchmark info so far specified a 1080p screen for the Pixel and QHD screen for the Pixel XL.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

Thermopyle posted:

Is it just me or do the Pixel phones look extremely boring?

They put the fingerprint sensors in the wrong spot on those iPhones!

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

Is it just me or do the Pixel phones look extremely boring?

If the fingerprint sensor's on the back, what's blurred on the bottom front?

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Oxygen 3.2.6 is out for the OP3. Sets security patch level to September 2016

- Optimized voice call quality of some IM applications.
- Improved adaptive brightness performance
- Improved camera quality
--- Fixed occasional green/yellow issue
--- Optimized white balance
--- Improved 1080p video recording
- Addressed some bluetooth connection problems for vehicles
- Allows third party application to modify ringtone
- Optimized battery consumption when scrolling
- Optimized touch accuracy when playing games
- Added DozeMode switch in Developer options
- Added PocketMode switch in Display settings

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

RZA Encryption posted:

Verizon logo :tinfoil::hf::barf:

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

RZA Encryption posted:

I can just make it out...

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

RZA Encryption posted:

The real answer is that it's an identifying mark for anyone trying to leak the handset. Coincidentally it's also the place where the fingerprint sensor was the first time HTC used this housing:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/+RonAmadeo/posts/EGjKs6rDZNU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

bull3964 posted:

poo poo no one outside this thread cares about.rtf

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Anyone using an Axon 7? Supposedly they just released an update to improve a few things (one of which being camera performance). I've been looking at it since I need a new phone to replace my Moto X Pure Edition. It sounds like the Pixel XL is going to be pretty pricey and I don't think I can bring myself to spend more than 400USD on a phone anymore.

I do like that the ZTE has an AMOLED display and awesome front speakers/headphone output, and the custom OS stuff doesn't seem too terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
650$ Google phone. The ~*~*vision*~*~ of a cheap developer phone.

I see no compelling reason to buy it over a Nexus 5x or 6p, other than it might not have dumpster fire levels of build quality.

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Sep 21, 2016