Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008
Okay,so let's say I want to do Vortex. It looks like this is Vortex + RF, right?

How do we go about it, leveling et al? How does it actually play?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

you dont need to do rf if you dont want to

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

Shinino Kage posted:

Okay,so let's say I want to do Vortex. It looks like this is Vortex + RF, right?

How do we go about it, leveling et al? How does it actually play?

So far Vortex has been fun because it's like BV but instead of spinning up 20 times you just cast one time and things explode

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
I'm doing mine as a Berserker but without RF - the ascendancy's huge damage amp means I don't need RF, which lets me gear up without anywhere near the headache.

Playstyle is simple. Walk into enemies, Vortex. Anything on fire is dead. Anything not on fire will probably be on fire from proliferate, and is dead. Build really takes off around 50 but Vortex is a solid enough skill to level on if you want. You'll need either Hrimburn or Pyre to make it actually ignite, which can change how your tree looks - Hrimburn will grab Elemental Equilibrium, for example, and the cold hit of Vortex will drop fire res by 50%, making the ignite more powerful, while Pyre can scale off cold and fire modifiers for more damage on its end but won't want EE.

theshim fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Sep 20, 2016

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
*Elemental Equilibrium

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

you could still do ee and set it up with orb of storms since you will probably be taking eo anyway

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Shinino Kage posted:

I'm thinking Elementalist and Inquisitor are the best for that.

I'm a Guardian :v:

Inquisitor isn't great because the resist ignoring doesn't double-dip.

e: but then I'm not running prolif because I'm not wasting a glove slot for an item with 0 ES so I have a pyre.

gonadic io fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Sep 20, 2016

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I have a Quill Rain that's too low ilvl to 6s naturally. If I 6s it with Vorici, what happens if I later use a Jeweler's Touch on it? Will it lose its colors and sixth socket?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

StashAugustine posted:

I have a Quill Rain that's too low ilvl to 6s naturally. If I 6s it with Vorici, what happens if I later use a Jeweler's Touch on it? Will it lose its colors and sixth socket?

You cant jewelers a 6socket item.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Jinnigan posted:

*Elemental Equilibrium
loving motherfucking d3

Awesome! posted:

you could still do ee and set it up with orb of storms since you will probably be taking eo anyway
Yeah, but the Ignite deals damage based on the original hit, which is going to be Fire, which is going to give the enemies +res. It's jankier.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

the initial hit will be on -res though so i guess you would have to math out if that makes up for the +res during the burn since it will make the burn bigger

e: actually, does a resist change after a dot is applied affect the dot damage or is it determined when it is applied?

Awesome! fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Sep 20, 2016

theshim
May 1, 2012

Awesome! posted:

the initial hit will be on -res though so i guess you would have to math out if that makes up for the +res during the burn since it will make the burn bigger

e: actually, does a resist change after a dot is applied affect the dot damage or is it determined when it is applied?
Only if you're always throwing out an orb before vortexing, which gets clunky.

Dunno how PoE handles snapshotting vs changing res, that's a good question. If it snapshots in particular that would make EE worth running with Pyre no questions asked.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

theshim posted:

yeah i figure its only really necessary for bosses and maybe rares though. if you need to drop it constantly that sucks, yeah.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

EE resets every time you hit an enemy. Orb of Storms hits them, giving -50% fire res. Then your Vortex hits them, doing bonus damage and giving +25%. Then Orb of Storms hits them again and puts them back at -50% fire res.

Yes, DoT damage can change due to resist changes and curses or whatever. At least I'm fairly certain about this. It doesn't make sense any other way, otherwise you could "snapshot" 95% fire resistance RF which does like 300 damage per second to you then switch to other gear. The base amount of damage an ignite does should be determined when the initial hit happens, which is then lowered or increased based on resist.

E: And no of course you don't need to drop Orb of Storms constantly. Ele Weakness on Blasphemy alone is bigger than the +25% fire resist from Ele Equilibrium. This puts a majority of monsters at around 0 fire resistance. Most things don't even have enough hp to survive the initial hit from Vortex, which does like 10-15k buffed. And to me using Orb of Storms is the equivalent of using Rallying Cry or Enduring Cry: just hit it once before every pack.

Ultima66 fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Sep 20, 2016

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
I'm doing alright up through t7/t8 maps. 3.5k life, 5k EV. Crit maps are rough. I should buy proper endgame gear, but with maxed resists, life + eva on every slot I think I'm out of mitigation options besides something drastic like Lightning Coil? e: link

How are prophecy chains supposed to work? I had the fellshire one, killed a bunch of bugs, never got a popup but it's gone from my (H) screen. Do I just keep buying new ones until II shows up or did I mess up completing the first?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

lightning coils are cheap as hell this league so if you want one go for it

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
I've got 100c, 5l LC runs 30~40 and I'd have to re-buy for other slots to get over the -60. It's not that I want one, just one of the few mitigation options I have at this point.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Get way more life. You should have more like 4500-5000

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/StashAugustine/characters
SimoSimunaHaya, EA juggernaut

Finally got a Kaom's last night, the last piece of gear I really needed to finish off my build before I start polishing. I really need at least a 5L for damage, other than that the only good way to scale seems to be getting increased fire damage on rings/amulets. At 7.7k health, still feels a touch squishy since I don't have any huge mitigation other than Decoy and no leech. What should I be looking at before I try uber lab, which I haven't done before?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

theshim posted:

I linked my tree (well, the major outlines, anyway, I'm probably moving a few points around) that I thought up at the top of this page.

I was using bullshit leveling gloves, so it didn't really matter what I was using when leveling - I think I was just wandering around with a Storm Cloud and Split Arrow for a while.

I checked your passive tree, at the very top of it you could move some points around near breath of flame and get 1 more spec point for 10 less int.
What are these leveling gloves I hear about and how do you get them.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Sep 21, 2016

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I check your passive tree, at the very top of it you could move some points around near breath of flame and get 1 more spec point for 10 less int.
What are these leveling gloves I hear about and how do you get them.

Make a http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Essence_of_Hysteria

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

StashAugustine posted:

What should I be looking at before I try uber lab, which I haven't done before?

Get a 5link and fix your flask setup. You probably want two health pots, a rumi's concoction, a ruby flask and a quicksilver.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

why ruby?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Awesome! posted:

why ruby?

Explosive arrow isnt a huge fan of reflect rares.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Did you know that when a carto strongbox says it will drop a unique item, it's not necessarily a map?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

StashAugustine posted:

Did you know that when a carto strongbox says it will drop a unique item, it's not necessarily a map?

In fact, it's specifically NOT a map!

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

probably worth less than a given unique map would have been unfortunately

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

JawnV6 posted:

How are prophecy chains supposed to work? I had the fellshire one, killed a bunch of bugs, never got a popup but it's gone from my (H) screen. Do I just keep buying new ones until II shows up or did I mess up completing the first?

The way it works is that eventually as you keep buying prophecies you'll get the next one in the chian.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

theshim posted:

Dunno how PoE handles snapshotting vs changing res, that's a good question. If it snapshots in particular that would make EE worth running with Pyre no questions asked.

On trash you generally don't need to, it dies even with the +res. Against blue+ packs I'm fine with throwing out the orb generally.

I don't run damage curses on blasphemy, I have flammability (and soon ele weakness) on my Orb.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

JawnV6 posted:

If you didn't finish them off, you'll get the same one at some point. If you did, you'll get the next one. Just keep running prophecies, for chains or rewards make sure you complete it. For the non chains like rats and frogs, just leave when you're tired of it.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Hey, here's some videos I made of my RF Vortex character now that I'm at 85. I still plan on getting a little more life + probably want to switch my jewels to life jewels. I'm aiming for over 6700 when the build is done, and hitting 7000 would be ideal.

First, a Temp Chains map with +80% fire res.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcEHvliY-Wk

And here's a video showing that the build works perfectly fine on maps that don't let you use RF, which is admittedly a lot of them. -Max, -60% regen, and I don't like turning it on in Vuln, which kind of sucks because those are all good +packsize mods for maps. No regen I just don't do because the build is made around a ton of life regen and using a mana pot with a build that casts spells this sparingly and has no ability to leech is really lovely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-N059Jw12Q

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

I've been playing a Juggernaut Arc Mjolner to lvl 82 now and I'm having a blast of a time.

The only thing that is really slowing me down from time to time is single target damage.

Is there a way I could try and mitigate this?

My aoe attack is: Lightning strike - faster - multi - fortify
My single target attack is: Molten strike - faster - multi - culling

Mikojan fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Sep 21, 2016

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

For pure arc mjolner, single target is always going to be a bit of an issue. Do you only have access to a 4link? If you can get at least a 5link, try this out: Molten strike - gmp - fortify - multistrike - faster attacks

Here's a video I made before ascendancy was released: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFtD3xnsvi8
In the video I'm using molten strike - fortify - multistrike - faster attacks - life gain on hit and LS - chain - multistrike - life gain on hit

E: Also, if you can get the +projectiles for molten strike enchant on your helmet, that will also help a lot.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Okay, Skal, here's my build for right now, it's kinda a hybrid of https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1714370 and https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1595555

Clibanarial right now

Basically, I took the Rearguard and Bone Offering and Necromancer spec and built a dual-cursing Barrage poisoner out of it. As long as I don't slow down, I can steamroll things in zero time. Bosses just liquefy in front of me if I have 20+ animated weapons and SRSes out.

Apoplexy fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Sep 21, 2016

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
A 55 chaos achievement, gently caress you GGG

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Is that a bad gem? I don't get it.

So, I'm level 46 now and I'm starting to get insta-gibbed by essence bosses and bosses one shot me. I still do a ton of damage but not as much as I used to in normal. My resist are -20% across the board and I'm not sure why. I have no negative resist gear or anything.

Ideas? Suggestions?

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Arrgytehpirate posted:

So, I'm level 46 now and I'm starting to get insta-gibbed by essence bosses and bosses one shot me. I still do a ton of damage but not as much as I used to in normal. My resist are -20% across the board and I'm not sure why. I have no negative resist gear or anything.

Ideas? Suggestions?

You're in Cruel, Cruel grants a -20% resist malus, and Merci a 40. You'll need to build resist gear up, definitely. Similarly, you probably need to build defenses badly, as I know a bad habit of Normal difficulty (from personal experience, oy) is building the poo poo out of offense and forgetting entirely about +life and +defenses and +resists, although a lot of people recommend not building resists through the passive tree, I find it helpful when you hit big nodes worth +8 to all or +10.

blackteapot
Jan 26, 2006

I'm currently running an occultist ED bow caster with soul strike quiver.

Currently my bow is running spell damage (about 91%) and I'm trying to roll +1 socketed on it.

My damage is OK while soloing, but I notice I fall behind when duoing.

Does anyone have experience with this build and can tell me if rolling delirium (decay essence) would be better?

Once I get +1 socketed I plan to recolor to switch a green to a red to put in empower instead of slower projectiles.

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/blackteapot/characters

Character is CrenshawPete

Edit: Boss single target damage is the thing that's lacking, aoe trash clearing is fine.

blackteapot fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Sep 21, 2016

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Ideas? Suggestions?

It was a 20/20 flameblast

I forgot that I had several flameblast leveling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Apoplexy posted:

You're in Cruel, Cruel grants a -20% resist malus, and Merci a 40. You'll need to build resist gear up, definitely. Similarly, you probably need to build defenses badly, as I know a bad habit of Normal difficulty (from personal experience, oy) is building the poo poo out of offense and forgetting entirely about +life and +defenses and +resists, although a lot of people recommend not building resists through the passive tree, I find it helpful when you hit big nodes worth +8 to all or +10.

I've noticed the best resist gear seems to be rings and necks. Should I accept that I'm going to have to lose my DPS on those slots?

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive...u2D-WP-Hf66_sg=

^^^ That's my current build, I'm a few points past it. Following Neversink's TS Ranger build. His guide says to cap resist but I just don't see how that's possible.

• Locked thread