Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Holy poo poo. Guess I am binge watching season 2 this weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

RevKrule posted:

Edit: OMG, they're seriously dumping the much younger Poison Ivy actress in a pipe of "fluid" so they can sexy and age her up. This show is like some kind of weirdly amazingly bad 90s comic.

You know how anime have the "1000 years old in a child's body" thing? Western media apparently loves the opposite between this and Twilight and Fallen Skies and the original Thundercats. Edit: I somehow forgot about Arisia.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Sep 20, 2016

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

One of the superpowered Indian Hill escapees had the ability to age someone at his touch and he was using it to kill people. So he was touching her for a couple of seconds before she fell in the pipe.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

RevKrule posted:

If you aren't watching Gotham, you're missing the kid who plays Bruce Wayne also playing a doppelganger hobo who has spent more time just staring longingly into the camera like some kind of tiger beat photoshoot than actually saying words.

Every time I want to stop watching this show, they go so off the rails, I can't look away.

Edit: OMG, they're seriously dumping the much younger Poison Ivy actress in a pipe of "fluid" so they can sexy and age her up. This show is like some kind of weirdly amazingly bad 90s comic.
Well, or Killing Joke.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

RevKrule posted:

:yikes:

I had heard they were aging up Poison Ivy, but I didn't realize they were going the literal child in a woman's body route.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

howe_sam posted:

:yikes:

I had heard they were aging up Poison Ivy, but I didn't realize they were going the literal child in a woman's body route.

She was like 10 originally, so if they did a time skip, there'd be no avoiding the bat in the corner.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Also either one of the writers or producers explicitly stated the age up was so they can make her be seductive because that is a key part of her character.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

ToastyPotato posted:

Also either one of the writers or producers explicitly stated the age up was so they can make her be seductive because that is a key part of her character.

It would have been so much easier to just have already be an adult. I have to ask, what purpose does young Ivy serve in the grand scheme of this show that I'm never going to watch?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

From what I've read, I don't think Gotham cares about making key parts of characters. Since Alfred goes around punching little girls and Jim Gordon is apparently a bounty hunter?

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Did they ever do anything with the joker? Or just keep bringing up a dozen fakes to trick viewers?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Kingtheninja posted:

Did they ever do anything with the joker? Or just keep bringing up a dozen fakes to trick viewers?

I don't watch the show but I read the Not Joker died, but they showed that he inspired a bunch of people to be like him.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

JT Smiley posted:

It would have been so much easier to just have already be an adult. I have to ask, what purpose does young Ivy serve in the grand scheme of this show that I'm never going to watch?

Young Ivy was Selina's friend and had abusive/neglectful parents. It seemed like they wanted to explore her home life and eventual turn to nature for comfort as part of her arc, but ditched it to punch up her age.

Aphrodite posted:

I don't watch the show but I read the Not Joker died, but they showed that he inspired a bunch of people to be like him.

Then they showed his body as part of Hugo Strange's collection of yet to be created villains. Oh and they did the infectious laugh thing when they killed him (doubt it becomes a thing tho)

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

MacheteZombie posted:

Young Ivy was Selina's friend and had abusive/neglectful parents. It seemed like they wanted to explore her home life and eventual turn to nature for comfort as part of her arc, but ditched it to punch up her age.
They can still explore that but now they can do it with her in a low cut top!

Kingtheninja posted:

There's talk of a return this season because if ever there was a crutch character for bad Batman shows to fall back on, it's Joker. The 'member berries for him are insane.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

RevKrule posted:

They can still explore that but now they can do it with her in a low cut top!

Haven't watched the season opener yet, but I imagine the show will skip over why she loves nature and just make her able to control nature, sadly.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

RevKrule posted:

The 'member berries for him are insane.

...No, we're not doing this.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

...No, we're not doing this.

What does that even mean?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

MacheteZombie posted:

What does that even mean?

I had to google it, but it appears RevKrule was trying to attempt to make a south park joke part of the common vernacular, like 4chan enjoys doing.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Oh it's a dig at nostalgia, well media's over reliance on nostalgia.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

MacheteZombie posted:

Oh it's a dig at nostalgia, well media's over reliance on nostalgia.

From a show not far removed from Family Guy themselves.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Gaz-L posted:

She was like 10 originally, so if they did a time skip, there'd be no avoiding the bat in the corner.

I figured that with their cavalier attitude towards continuity they'd just plop the new Ivy in and go "whatta ya mean, she was always a sexy lady?"

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

howe_sam posted:

I figured that with their cavalier attitude towards continuity they'd just plop the new Ivy in and go "whatta ya mean, she was always a sexy lady?"

From what it sounds like this would have been far better than an older man touching her to age her up.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Someone needs to take away the shovel because this hole is already deep enough.

quote:

“One of the character’s biggest skills or powers is the power of seduction. In order for Ivy to exist and be a threat to most of our characters – Gordon, Bullock, Captain Barnes and all the villains – she needed to be older in order to exploit that power. No one felt comfortable having a 15-year-old seduce grown men. It was weird.

The other thing was it’s not just a physical change. We’re leaning into an emotional change as well. Something happened to her. It wasn’t that she got aged-up. Something in the wiring and the DNA changed as well. It’s not the same Ivy. It’s a little more dangerous for Selina because she thinks she can trust this person down the road, but can she? Ivy is much more of a villain now.”
http://www.cbr.com/gotham-ep-explains-poison-ivys-new-age/

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
No one felt comfortable with a minor portraying a male sex fantasy so we magically aged her up for guilt free fap material.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Gotham already has an older sexy not-Catwoman so I don't know why they can't just do the same with Ivy.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kingtheninja posted:

The not Joker stuff was kind of weird because he first showed up in season 1 and he was just terrible. Then in season 2 they bring him back with the same actor and he was somehow so much better. Anyway, he was running around in a gang of escaped Arkham inmates doing some high profile crimes which culminated in a big public hostage situation where he gets televised. He then gets murdered on camera and later in the season they show he has inspired a bunch of weirdo outsiders to emulate him.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

To hype up tonight's Agents of SHIELD, I've written about all of Ghost Rider's non-comics appearances.

Especially how goddamn awesome it was that time he took down Galactus on the Fantastic Four cartoon.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I never really noticed before seeing it in live action, but Ghost Rider V's car really is just Mad Max's interceptor.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

I never really noticed before seeing it in live action, but Ghost Rider V's car really is just Mad Max's interceptor.

Ghost Rider drives a Dodge Charger. Mad Max drives a Ford Falcon Interceptor.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

AngryBooch posted:

Gotham already has an older sexy not-Catwoman so I don't know why they can't just do the same with Ivy.

And they gave her mind control powers. Was she killed off again or is she still out there?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Ghost Rider drives a Dodge Charger. Mad Max drives a Ford Falcon Interceptor.

I really don't know cars.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

That's what I'm here for.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Lurdiak posted:

The redneck one is Mater and the main character is McQueen, but that's all I know.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Um, all I know is that I am not allowed to drive my parents one anymore after that bloody bloody sunday that is still talked about in hushed whispers.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Bruceski posted:

And they gave her mind control powers. Was she killed off again or is she still out there?

I don't know man, I think Tabitha was stabbed with a sword by zombie Azrael and is now in a coma? I don't remember her having mind control powers but that sounds right.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Kind of excited to see how Ghost Rider looks on the show. The promo pics they released to Yahoo look awful, but his car in the trailers actually looks great.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Why is he still called Ghost Rider if he drives a car and in universe there's no history of Ghost Riders riding?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Skwirl posted:

Why is he still called Ghost Rider if he drives a car and in universe there's no history of Ghost Riders riding?

He ghostrides his whip.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The MSJ posted:

He ghostrides his whip.

This is probably going to be te actual reason.

Skwirl posted:

Agents of Shield.txt

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Skwirl posted:

I don't really understand this second part, did the first iteration of gr not have a name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

site posted:

I don't really understand this second part, did the first iteration of gr not have a name

He rode a horse. You don't really "ride" a car.