Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Looks like either a previous Codex or one of the painting guides.

I'll have a look through my spare transfers but tbh GW's pretty committed to Ragnar as their poster child so I doubt there's anything other than his company's markings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anasurimbur
Nov 18, 2010

SHODAN Processing Component 43893

Zark the Damned posted:

Looks like either a previous Codex or one of the painting guides.

I'll have a look through my spare transfers but tbh GW's pretty committed to Ragnar as their poster child so I doubt there's anything other than his company's markings.

The one they offer on the store, currently, appears to have three:

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-IE/Space-Wolf-Decals

The Stormwolves, The Drakeslayers, and the Blackmanes. This is, of course, incredibly frustrating although I understand the potential loss in cash in printing every Chapter.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
http://m.imgur.com/a/LDBvY

Saw this review of a miniatures based loot crate type thing and thought I'd share. I don't really buy into the whole concept and the reviewer isn't very impressed but thought it would be of interest to some.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

FastestGunAlive posted:

Saw this review of a miniatures based loot crate type thing and thought I'd share. I don't really buy into the whole concept and the reviewer isn't very impressed but thought it would be of interest to some.

You know if you consistently got stuff like the paint and weathering pigment and other things that are fun to try out, I think this would be the first time I've seen a mystery box be a good idea

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"

FastestGunAlive posted:

As long as this didn't end up being sending lots of Warhammer stuff, I'd be interested in this. if it weren't in the UK (probably not worth the shipping).

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog
DRONE NET

Least fun painting ever.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
i just got back into the hobby

if someone itt has posted about brush on varnish, how to apply it, how to clean the brushes etc, please link it

rjderouin
May 21, 2007
Hey Hogge...

Just watched this seems to be good advice, I use an airbrush these days but I cosign on the stuff the guy is saying...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTXebOGYSP4

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

rjderouin posted:

Hey Hogge...

Just watched this seems to be good advice, I use an airbrush these days but I cosign on the stuff the guy is saying...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTXebOGYSP4

thanks, i'll watch it

i was planning on canned gloss, then canned matt, and then brush on gloss for gems etc.

melonfish
Apr 13, 2016

The original Dunning-Kruger test subject.
Well for a while now Big_G has been mythering me to get my Stealer Cult up on SA, so here goes!
Starting with the decent shots rather than all the WIP's i'll post more wip shots as I go, Atm i have a finished acolyte both the princelings and the 4 abberrents (they were fun!) on the table are 5 more acolytes i'll post wip as i go.

First the Princelings, excuse the mix of shots, only recently got a light box but this gives you an idea of the colour scheme for my hive.

then the tester Acolyte:

and the Abberrents:

and the money shot of the group fully based.

Have to say, when DW:O was announced I was over the moon, I've really missed stealer cults, easily one of the best bits of fluff geedubs has, now there's a codex coming out? can't wait!

melonfish fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Sep 21, 2016

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out

PaintVagrant posted:

Very strange. Is it possible you are cleaning your airbrush out with rubbing alcohol or windex and that too much of it is remaining in the brush and causing issues with the paint? Rubbing alcohol in particular can cause paint to do weird things.

Zhent posted:

Any other similarities? How much time are you leaving between priming and painting? What are the models - metal, plastic, resin? Are you airbrushing the primer on as well or spray primer?

I have had this problem before when the acrylic primer was recently sprayed on a model - it dries fairly quickly but seems to take time to ... set? cure?

Are the surfaces the paint is coming off of all smooth? maybe try lightly sanding one and re-priming?

Tried both can primer and air brushed primer. Never had a problem with either until now.

I used to prime then paint the day after but the Dreadnought Ive just lost paint off of has been sat primed and waiting for over a month.

I dont think Ive had this problem with brushed on paint - I use my airbrush for nearly everything now. Airbrush has definitely been clean and dry before use.

And its definitely a bigger problem on edges and corners than flat surfaces.

I might record from priming to basecoating and put it on the blog - see if any one can tell me where Im blind to an obvious mistake.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Does the primer brush off easily with your fingers? "Skunked" primer that applies sort of dry and grainy usually just falls off.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

FastestGunAlive posted:

If you really want one and are in the states, Dicehead has their own. It generally costs sixty bucks plus shipping and has about $100 worth of stuff (the times I received it it was usually just over; $102-110). There's often a GW model of somesort, then a decentish model from something like WarmaHordes or Malifaux, and some small stuff like paints, basing materials (I got bricks once). It's fun if you like random stuff (I do) and you're guaranteed to get at least $100 worth of stuff, but you do have the issue of not knowing if you'll like the stuff you paid sixty bucks for.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Anasurimbur posted:

The one they offer on the store, currently, appears to have three:

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-IE/Space-Wolf-Decals

The Stormwolves, The Drakeslayers, and the Blackmanes. This is, of course, incredibly frustrating although I understand the potential loss in cash in printing every Chapter.

Dug em out. I have a bunch of really old ones, small sheets which are pretty much entirely Ragnar's stuff, but I also have a handful of these I'm never likely to use, dunno if they're of use to you (sorry for blurry shot):

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.

melonfish posted:

Well for a while now Big_G has been mythering me to get my Stealer Cult up on SA, so here goes!
Starting with the decent shots rather than all the WIP's i'll post more wip shots as I go, Atm i have a finished acolyte both the princelings and the 4 abberrents (they were fun!) on the table are 5 more acolytes i'll post wip as i go.

First the Princelings, excuse the mix of shots, only recently got a light box but this gives you an idea of the colour scheme for my hive.

then the tester Acolyte:

and the Abberrents:

and the money shot of the group fully based.

Have to say, when DW:O was announced I was over the moon, I've really missed stealer cults, easily one of the best bits of fluff geedubs has, now there's a codex coming out? can't wait!

Looking really good, especially like the gloss on the carapaces.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Out of curiosity, what would be a good way to achieve gloss like that?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
I'm looking for some basing help. I'm far enough into my 28mm napoleonics project that it's time to settle on how to base them. These are going to be from the French invasion of Russia, so I'm thinking late summer/autumn/early winter, but before the snow. And I want to make the bases a little more grassy than the common "stony ground with a few tufts of grass" that you see on so many miniatures.

Basically representing something like this kind of grass, but maybe with some tufts for added effect:

I've been googling around, and the closest I find are these pictures, though the blog is old and had no info on how he made them.

I'm trying to make some kind of plan for how to get such an effect, and all I can come up with is to start with a brownish static grass, and then add browish tufts. Am I missing something? Anyone has any great tips on which materials to go for?

Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time.
If there is a model train store near you, it may be worth a trip to see if they have anything on display in the N-scale, which usually works out pretty well.

Color-wise, you may need some combination of green and yellow ground cover, with some tufts to break it up size-wise.

http://woodlandscenics.woodlandscenics.com/show/Item/CT-YG/page/1

http://woodlandscenics.woodlandscenics.com/show/Item/CT-LG/page/1

melonfish
Apr 13, 2016

Attestant posted:

Out of curiosity, what would be a good way to achieve gloss like that?

A Satin varnish should do you, I use Johnsons Klear (now oop) I have two bottles stashed in my painting desk.
try Vallejo 70.522, it's a brush on.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

melonfish posted:

A Satin varnish should do you, I use Johnsons Klear (now oop) I have two bottles stashed in my painting desk.
try Vallejo 70.522, it's a brush on.

Thanks, the Vallejo seems perfect, I'll give that a go at some point.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
x-posting my Deathwatch Corvus Blackstar!

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
I'm going to start on some Iron Warriors vehicles in the near future, and I realized that while the umber oil and white spirits trick will work for weathering it to some degree, I'm unsure about two things.

1. How would you show chipping on a model that's already metallic? I know I'm going to use the sponge & Leadbelcher on the hazard striped and black areas, but I'd like to show similar effects on the main areas.

2. My basing for the infantry is primarily focused on Martian Ironearth, but I don't think that applying that to the treads and lower points is going to look great - I figure it would look like the red earth is cracking on the vehicle. What's my best bet to illustrate that they're driving through a cracked red waste?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

PantsOptional posted:

1. How would you show chipping on a model that's already metallic? I know I'm going to use the sponge & Leadbelcher on the hazard striped and black areas, but I'd like to show similar effects on the main areas.
There's literally nothing to chip, it's the same material all the way down. You can maybe try to physically score it some to increase the weathered look.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

PantsOptional posted:

2. My basing for the infantry is primarily focused on Martian Ironearth, but I don't think that applying that to the treads and lower points is going to look great - I figure it would look like the red earth is cracking on the vehicle. What's my best bet to illustrate that they're driving through a cracked red waste?

Weathering powder. A solid brick red would do the job well.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

x-posting my Deathwatch Corvus Blackstar!

Heat staining on the guns is dope, what's your technique?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

So I am finally, finally getting a compressor. TC-620X. Plus Patriot 105 Airbrush to go with my Sotar 2020 airbrush. The descriptions under the OP are difficult to follow. Just to make sure I have everything right, I need to get the following:
1/8 hose with moisture trap
quick disconnect coupler
QD plug for badger x2 (sotar + Patriot 105)

I already have teflon tape. Anything else I need? Are these the correct items for the hose? Or would it be simpler to just get something like this? all-in one package

rjderouin
May 21, 2007

Chill la Chill posted:

So I am finally, finally getting a compressor. TC-620X. Plus Patriot 105 Airbrush to go with my Sotar 2020 airbrush. The descriptions under the OP are difficult to follow. Just to make sure I have everything right, I need to get the following:
1/8 hose with moisture trap
quick disconnect coupler
QD plug for badger x2 (sotar + Patriot 105)

I already have teflon tape. Anything else I need? Are these the correct items for the hose? Or would it be simpler to just get something like this? all-in one package

"NEW Quiet 1/5 hp MASTER AIRBRUSH TANK COMPRESSOR-(FREE) AIR HOSE and Now a (FREE) How to Airbrush Training Book to Get You Started, Published Exclusiv
Sold by: TCP Global Corp
$99.96
Condition: New - *BRAND NEW Factory Sealed Package* TCP GLOBAL is Your Trusted Source since 1976. This Item is In-Stock & Ships Immediately from Amazon FBA or our huge warehouses in South Carolina and California. Buy with Confidence as Every Item from TCP GLOBAL comes with a 30 Day Money Back Satisfaction Guarantee.
Submit
Buy it Again

Master Airbrush Brand Airbrush Fitting Conversion Adapters for Paasche, Badger & Aztec Airbrushes; Converts Threads Size to 1/8" BSP Size Threads; Hos
Sold by: TCP Global Corp
$9.96
Condition: New
Submit
Buy it Again

Badger Air-Brush Co 105 Patriot Fine Gravity Airbrush
Sold by: Amazon.com LLC
$66.20
Condition: New"

These are exactly what I ordered from Amazon and I could not have been happier.

rjderouin fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Sep 23, 2016

melonfish
Apr 13, 2016

mango sentinel posted:

There's literally nothing to chip, it's the same material all the way down. You can maybe try to physically score it some to increase the weathered look.

I'd go with physical scores and lighter metals in the scores. Or possibly darker, does plasteel oxidise?

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.

lilljonas posted:

I'm looking for some basing help. I'm far enough into my 28mm napoleonics project that it's time to settle on how to base them. These are going to be from the French invasion of Russia, so I'm thinking late summer/autumn/early winter, but before the snow. And I want to make the bases a little more grassy than the common "stony ground with a few tufts of grass" that you see on so many miniatures.

Basically representing something like this kind of grass, but maybe with some tufts for added effect:

I've been googling around, and the closest I find are these pictures, though the blog is old and had no info on how he made them.

I'm trying to make some kind of plan for how to get such an effect, and all I can come up with is to start with a brownish static grass, and then add browish tufts. Am I missing something? Anyone has any great tips on which materials to go for?

Static grass plus some light coloured tufts plus something like this to add random variation to different bases would probably look good.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

w00tmonger posted:

Heat staining on the guns is dope, what's your technique?

Thank you! It's super simple, just paint the metal as normal first, then apply blue, purple and sepia washes (in that order, starting near the tip of the guns) and that's it.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Thanks for the basing tips, I'm planning to raid the local train model shop this afternoon and see what I can find. :)

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I just ordered some Reaper fire elementals and burning spheres and the pictures make them look like they're made out of red translucent plastic of some sort. Is there anything you can do with that without painting the whole thing? What would happen if I threw on some Army Painter Quickshade?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

PantsOptional posted:

Technically, SM armor is ceramite, which is a ceramic composite. As such, you can use pretty much any color as your base and get away with it.

You could do a couple of things:

1) If your metallic base is darker (i.e. dirty/oily,) you could make some lighter chips and scrapes on the armor to represent the outer layer getting scraped away.
2) You could make some darker (Charadon Granite-type color) chips or scraping on the metal, implying a steel plated over ceramite look.

That said, I think Iron Warriors look better as metal with grime and oil stains. You can limit chipping to the hazard striped shoulderpads and dozer blades and still get some really nice looks.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

Atlas Hugged posted:

I just ordered some Reaper fire elementals and burning spheres and the pictures make them look like they're made out of red translucent plastic of some sort. Is there anything you can do with that without painting the whole thing? What would happen if I threw on some Army Painter Quickshade?

You can definitely paint them up while leaving them mostly translucent. For the fire elementals, I'd probably avoid washes, because you want the deep recesses to seem brighter, since that's where fires tend to be hotter. Instead, give it a coat of sealer to give paint to stick to, and then give them some paint on the tips with some browns and grays to represent smoke.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I finished up a quad mortar and the Praetor from Betrayal at Calth. I didn't like his head (I think Aethon is a tool) so I swapped it out for one of the super Greco-Roman heads from the Ultramarines sprue. I'm super happy with how his cape came out, especially the transfer:

And time to lose some friends:

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Except the heaven had come so near,
So seemed to choose my door,The distance would not haunt me so

Soiled Meat
Agreedo, SRM, that cape is super nice.
So smooth

L0VE
May 3, 2010
Currently painting an Ogre Cossack from Scibor to practice skin and I'm unsure how far I want to go with highlights. The brightest parts are currently a 1:1 mix of VMC Cork Brown and VMC Dark Sand.

Do I keep going with pure Dark Sand and onwards or do I leave it and just focus on cleanup? Also, ignore the hands and face, trying to finish the body before I move on to them.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Looking for a bit of advice before I really get to painting. I'm trying to hash out a paint scheme, using P3 Coal Black as the base (or close enough to it), giving me a nice dark teal/turquoise. I also know I'm aiming to have P3 Meredius Blue as my highest highlight. However, even with significant blending (I've got a test model from my old D&D days to practice on), the transition is too sharp, and there's definitely a feeling like I'm missing a midtone there that would work.

I've hosed around with a few other blue-green paints, from mixing some turquoise ink into some Trollblood Base to cruising Walmart in the search of a decent match (even if the quality takes a small hit). I'm almost about to just order the WarColours Turquoise slice and call it a fuckin' day, but I've already got resin bases coming in from the UK and that took $50 and almost a month and i still don't have them yet (though they're in the post, about fuckin' time Fenris Games) and I'm really not looking forward to waiting another who-the-hell-knows-how-long and drop another :20bux: ON TOP OF of a work rumor that hours might be cut a bit more before the holiday season picks back up at the end of the year. :suicide:

So yeah, sorry about the :words:, I'm just looking for a decent mid-tone turquoise that's not literally halfway across the world half a month out. I'd even take some lovely Apple Barrel paint suggestion, if it worked. I'm not trying to win Golden Demons, I just want a good paint scheme.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Aniodia posted:

So yeah, sorry about the :words:, I'm just looking for a decent mid-tone turquoise that's not literally halfway across the world half a month out. I'd even take some lovely Apple Barrel paint suggestion, if it worked. I'm not trying to win Golden Demons, I just want a good paint scheme.

Have you tried mixing the paint and keeping track of the recipe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Aniodia, Reaper Marine Teal might work.

Okay, I'm painting up a Stormraven Gunship. Someone said it looked a bit like Bastion's head from Overwatch, so I'm doing it in Bastion's colors. Here are some pictures as is, after basecoating it with the airbrush:

Here's a picture of Bastion:

Here's a mock-up of how I'm thinking about painting it up from here:

Areas circled are going to be painted that color. Black represents gunmetal.

Any thoughts on it before I start prepping it for further paint?