Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

I watched Campaign for the first time last night, and I can highly recommend it to anyone in this thread. It is a fly-on-the-wall documentary about the 1996 Wellington Central election. https://www.nzonscreen.com/title/campaign

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Was it very different to this one?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Campaign_(film)

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Did anyone else see this one coming? What a twist! :monocle:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11713072

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

cptn_dr posted:

At least the Communist League fielded a candidate this year.

Says something about local body politics that he's not even remotely the whackiest candidate.

gently caress he's not even as loony as Crone or Palino.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Palino's campaign hasn't quite reached the comedy potential promised by his trainwreck of a campaign launch*. Oh what could've been.

*Here it is, for anyone who missed it earlier this year.

http://thespinoff.co.nz/politics-media/29-02-2016/we-need-to-look-in-the-front-vision-mirror-a-very-odd-afternoon-with-john-palino/

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
http://www.newshub.co.nz/nznews/popular-nelson-orchardist-out-of-visa-options-2016092005

quote:

"I feel sorry for both her and New Zealand," MP Damien O'Connor told Fairfax.

"The Government is intent on kicking out of the country good families that have settled in the regions, but are leaving the door open wide open to new migrants coming into Auckland with all the associated problems for that city."

I thought Labour was meant to be backpedaling from dog-whistling about immigration?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I bet Louise Green is absolutely loving the prospect of some industrial action under her watch~

Nothing against her of course, just that she's that sort of person

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
I voted for John Minto, and it feels great.

It really just makes me wish all elections could be Left vs Lefter, since the discussions that come out of that kind of contest are so much more constructive than the usual Right-Left slogfest.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

There are 11 candidates running for my ward, which is a really nice change from last time when Dick Quax and his minion rolled in unopposed. There are actual young people and non-pakeha running!

Pity that Howick will never not be a conservative hell hole.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Rotorua was way boring. It also doesn't feel right to vote, when the mayor and I personally know each other.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Apparently there's a protest in Mangere this October about the building plans for a spot near some caves and stones of cultural significance.

Anyone got a skinny? The SOUL webpage doesn't exactly strike me as highly credible.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe
NZ Media: however is donald trump so popular, truly a mystery, he's so racist and awful
*unquestioningly reports everything winston peters says or does*

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Cos he's so newsworthy etc.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Having just looked it up, it's Dr Jonathan Coleman you idiot.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
Greens are really showing their true colours over this Kermadecs stuff eh

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
French hitchhiker 'goes berserk' in New Zealand after four days stuck without a lift

quote:

A Frenchman has gone on a frustrated rampage in a tiny New Zealand fishing village after he spent four days waiting for a hitchhiking ride.

The 27-year-old Frenchman arrived in the west coast settlement of Punakaiki, home to just 70-full-time residents, late last week

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I'd probably go berserk too if I got stuck in rural NZ

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Never seen a more glassable face in my life.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Somfin posted:

Never seen a more glassable face in my life.
He often wears a salmon-pink cravat.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

He often wears a salmon-pink cravat.

My right hand just twitched.

You give me one shot of him in a stupid hat and you'll have to hold me back lads

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

The best part is that the road through Punakaiki was closed due to a massive slip during some of that time so there would have been very few cars going that way. The few that did probably didn't want to pick up a crazy stone throwing guy.

Kathleen
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

WE B Bourgeois posted:

who do you think is the least bad party emarx? i used to think it was mana but they kind of jettisoned credibility last election.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

WE B Bourgeois posted:

What do you mean? They're supporting Maori fishing rights, or at least their rights to assert a claim.

The Sin of Onan
Oct 11, 2012

And below,
watched by eyes of steel
we dreamt

Ghostlight posted:

Having just looked it up, it's Dr Jonathan Coleman you idiot.

I thought he was Minister of Health (also, a fuckwit)? Didn't think we had or needed a Ministry for Men.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

fong posted:

What do you mean? They're supporting Maori fishing rights, or at least their rights to assert a claim.

The latest stuff the Greens have released on this is unobjectionable, actually. My b. It's Russel Norman being a prick.

focal ischemia posted:

who do you think is the least bad party emarx? i used to think it was mana but they kind of jettisoned credibility last election.

I still think Mana is good. The entire idea of an "internet party" is and was dumb as hell, and Dotcom was an easy (+ justifiable) hate figure, but their actual candidates seemed like decent, un-techy people. Mana gets pigeonholed as 'like the Māori Party but even scarier', but I think they're genuine about being a broader working class movement with Māori kaupapa — they just totally fail to communicate it, so they get attacked by the Māori Party as well. I doubt Hone can win Tai Tokerau back off Kelvin Davis but I'll probs waste my vote on them again :banjo:

There seems to be an increasing left/hippy vs bike tory split in the Green Party. The guy replacing Hague is definitely in the Norman/Shaw mould.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

fong posted:

They support the sanctuary but want iwi on board and think National hosed up the process, the idiot scumbag fuckers.

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

I had high hopes for Mana until they threw their lot in with the Internet Party

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx
the 2014 election stands out as truly bizarre in my memory

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

cptn_dr posted:

I'd probably go berserk too if I got stuck in rural NZ

Nah it's fine.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The Sin of Onan posted:

I thought he was Minister of Health (also, a fuckwit)? Didn't think we had or needed a Ministry for Men.
Also Minister of Sports and Recreation.

Binkenstein
Jan 18, 2010

Pararoid posted:

I voted for John Minto, and it feels great.

It really just makes me wish all elections could be Left vs Lefter, since the discussions that come out of that kind of contest are so much more constructive than the usual Right-Left slogfest.

I'm not really confident in his ability to be anything other than a protester/protest vote.

In other Christchurch voting news, I found a nutjob standing for the CDHB

quote:

Richard E ROE
My principal place of residence is in the Canterbury District Health Board area. Dr Richard E Roe has been a practicing Chiropractor for the past 38 years. Along with his combined experience serving with St Johns Ambulance Richard observed first hand the incredible cost of palliative care with little or no consideration to prevention and healthy lifestyles. If elected Richard would encourage a revolution at board level (backed by enormous scientific evidence) to allocate more funding into 'FUNCTIONAL MEDICINE' whilst reducing costs based on our biased pharmaceutical driven medical system.

A keen gardener and long standing member of the Biodynamic Farming and Gardening Association, Richard has a keen interest Canterbury District Health Board in the preservation of the ecology and sustainable farming methods. Married with 2 children, living in Hanmer Springs.

Alternative Medicine stays "alternative" until it's scientifically proven, then it becomes Modern Medicine.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

I'll just plug a friend of mine that is standing for the Wellington health board. Please to vote for her if you live in the appropriate area and you align yourself to the left (or the right - whatever, just vote for her as she'll do a great job):
https://www.facebook.com/helen4ccdhb/

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I still justify my vote for Internet/Mana as just a vote for Mana plus Laila Harre.

e: also

mods please change my name to bike tory

voiceless anal fricative fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Sep 21, 2016

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

The Rabbi T. White posted:

I'll just plug a friend of mine that is standing for the Wellington health board. Please to vote for her if you live in the appropriate area and you align yourself to the left (or the right - whatever, just vote for her as she'll do a great job):

Authorised by butt street

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Binkenstein posted:

I'm not really confident in his ability to be anything other than a protester/protest vote.

In other Christchurch voting news, I found a nutjob standing for the CDHB

Alternative Medicine stays "alternative" until it's scientifically proven, then it becomes Modern Medicine.

Nah, alternative medicine stays alternative until it works. Then it becomes medicine. Same with Traditional Chinese medicine. And Acupuncture. And Homeopathic medicine. And-

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

The Rabbi T. White posted:

Gonna second this, Helen would be an excellent candidate.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

bike tory posted:

I still justify my vote for Internet/Mana as just a vote for Mana plus Laila Harre.

Same

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

Authorised by butt street

Yeah. She lives up Butt. My little one gets many chuckles out of that.
e: Who the gently caress am I kidding? I find it hilarious, too.

The Rabbi T. White fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Sep 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sin of Onan
Oct 11, 2012

And below,
watched by eyes of steel
we dreamt
Tangentially related; is there anywhere I can go to get a decent view of the candidates? All that wellington.govt.nz has to offer is the candidates in their own words, and since actual policy statements are few and far between, I'm inherently a bit suspicious of most of what's on offer.

• Locked thread