Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
First Play Build
Turtle
No Shield Melee
Caster
Kaz, what should I do. Tell me like you used to
View Results

• Locked thread
HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

Frog Act posted:

nah i fuckin hate pvp and im familiar with DS so i prolly don't need any guides. just gonna go for a quality build i think since i love 1h swords and spears

aw man, invading is so much fun, and you can get the red eye orb pretty early

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Frog Act posted:

whats a good covenant if i wanna engage in a lot of jolly coop? i really like helping other players but i'm reading that Way of Blue is basically a waste of time

Sunlight covenant for sure. if youre active in that it prioritizes your summon signs when they get populated in other peoples worlds

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

HolePisser1982 posted:

aw man, invading is so much fun, and you can get the red eye orb pretty early

ive never invaded a single person in my 160 hrs in DS1 or my 40 in DS2....except once I tried to invade a Gravelord in blighttown but got poisoned to death cus i couldn't estus. maybe if i feel like my build is douchey enough i'll sneak in and backstab some dudes, since DS3 is so freakin populated, there have to be some other scrubs around

In Training posted:

Sunlight covenant for sure. if youre active in that it prioritizes your summon signs when they get populated in other peoples worlds

word. do I have to use an ember or w/e to get summoned or can i just drop my white mark wherever like in ds1?

Frog Act fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Sep 20, 2016

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Frog Act posted:

whats a good covenant if i wanna engage in a lot of jolly coop? i really like helping other players but i'm reading that Way of Blue is basically a waste of time

The sun covenant is back . You can join it really early but can't actually turn in medals for rewards til pretty far into the game

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

sequence breaking and getting to the sunlight altar at a low level feels insanely epic on subsequent playthoughs, though

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Frog Act posted:

word. do I have to use an ember or w/e to get summoned or can i just drop my white mark wherever like in ds1?

just like ds1

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Frog Act posted:

i think i'm gonna be a weiner and use a katana as soon as i can find one too

Don't want to give too much away but there's a katana available very early on.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Aston posted:

Don't want to give too much away but there's a katana available very early on.

you talkin about the naked dude with the sword in the beginning, back behind some corner, that hosed me up rly hardcore? i think he had a katana

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HolePisser1982 posted:

sequence breaking and getting to the sunlight altar at a low level feels insanely epic on subsequent playthoughs, though

Especially because Dancer is even cooler when you actually get to see her phase 2

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Frog Act posted:

you talkin about the naked dude with the sword in the beginning, back behind some corner, that hosed me up rly hardcore? i think he had a katana

Ya it's a good one too

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Cool I can prolly take him on now that I'm level 26, gonna get me a Katana

Also how do I use boss souls? Where's the ascend mechanic to make unique weapons

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

You'll unlock it after a certain point

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
in retrospect, ds2 took forever to let you turn boss souls into stuff

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I tried really hard to like DS2 but just couldn't. 3 feels a lot better for some reason

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Frog Act posted:

Cool I can prolly take him on now that I'm level 26, gonna get me a Katana

Also how do I use boss souls? Where's the ascend mechanic to make unique weapons

You have to a kill a boss. The Cursed Tree and give Legless its drop.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Kild posted:

You have to a kill a boss. The Cursed Tree and give Legless its drop.

word, i just ran into that guy a minute ago...walked into a giant open space, saw a tree with legs, and thought "there is no way this guy doesn't come to life and turn into a boss" and lol he did

it feels like the bosses are more frequent (same w/bonfires) in this than in DS1

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Frog Act posted:

word, i just ran into that guy a minute ago...walked into a giant open space, saw a tree with legs, and thought "there is no way this guy doesn't come to life and turn into a boss" and lol he did

it feels like the bosses are more frequent (same w/bonfires) in this than in DS1

Definitely but both bosses and bonfires are scaled back from DS2

Soral
May 30, 2009

i like that bosses do the bloodborne thing of dropping a bonfire when they die but it leads to some really weird design like there being 3 loving bonfires in the span of a 90 second walk leading up to the cathedral

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

lol yeah i think it's the Armour fight where you can see another bonfire from a bonfire

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Sometimes an Unkindled needs to take it a little easy

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

i wish there was more time/space between bosses though, so far they've come a little too frequently for me. i kinda prefer a long hard area that you have to master before getting to the boss who's a big build up, like in Anor Londo or the Tomb of the Giants

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

to me it felt like the pace of the bosses slows down in the middle a bit when the game opens up and you have multiple paths to take

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

to me it felt like the pace of the bosses slows down in the middle a bit when the game opens up and you have multiple paths to take
yeah they come thick and fast early on. It's jarring but it owns

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

i havent fought the tree guy yet, i just kept going down the other pathway and theres a whole area with a lot of dudes and hidden stuff and pathways and stuff, so im kinda eating my words from my last post. i'm really, really loving the environment design. it's loving gorgeous, the architecture is spot on, there are hidden souls and loot in all these nooks and crannies, its just top notch. also how is the Astora Straight Sword? better than the long sword?

i wish i could still carry infinite arrows tho i go through 99 really fast

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Frog Act posted:

i havent fought the tree guy yet, i just kept going down the other pathway and theres a whole area with a lot of dudes and hidden stuff and pathways and stuff, so im kinda eating my words from my last post. i'm really, really loving the environment design. it's loving gorgeous, the architecture is spot on, there are hidden souls and loot in all these nooks and crannies, its just top notch. also how is the Astora Straight Sword? better than the long sword?

i wish i could still carry infinite arrows tho i go through 99 really fast

are you talking about Cathedral of the Deep? i love that area so much, it's like the level designer made a bet that they could make the biggest zone possible with only one bonfire . it just keeps looping back on itself and looping back on itself again with shortcuts upon shortcuts and it's a masterpiece IMO. You've got me excited to play through DS3 again now but I'm probably gonna wait until a little closer to the DLC release so I'll be nice and fresh when it comes out

edit: oh poo poo it's only a little over a month now! september went by so fast

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

cathedral of the deep is so loving sick. when you finally memorize all the shortcuts and are able to haul rear end across the whole thing, its the best feeling

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

nah, i'm still in the undead settlement, which is pretty elegantly designed itself. all the bonfires connect together in multiple unexpected ways (on my like sixth run through the area just now i found the sewer with a giant rat in it, could have easily missed it), it's just really well done. plus it looks and runs great on my mediocre computer, i keep just stopping to dig the groovy scenes

here's the area i'm talking about

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Undead Settlement and the Cathedral are incredible areas and I love them. Possibly the best in the game... not sure. I like their twisty-turniness whereas some of the other great areas are more like a clear path with optional branches.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Settlement and Cathedral are god-tier level design for sure

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWCt6PVXCvQ

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

HolePisser1982 posted:

cathedral of the deep is so loving sick. when you finally memorize all the shortcuts and are able to haul rear end across the whole thing, its the best feeling

It's my favorite part of the game and reminds me of how they designed levels in demons with just the one archstone at the entrance.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Loving the snowfeels

EDIT: Those fly-guys are very Bloodborne-esque, also Sif??

Pablo Nergigante fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Sep 21, 2016

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Forbidden Woods in bloodborne is probably the best they ever did like that because you can spend 4 hours or 4 minutes in it and there's only one lantern.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

New Interview too. Confirms that the DLC does indeed take place in the Painted World if there was any doubt

Dec 26, 2012

PleasingFungus posted:

in retrospect, ds2 took forever to let you turn boss souls into stuff

i mean so did ds1, you have to play nearly up to o&s

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

made a Trusty Patches character in DS3 without realizing how terrible I'd be at kicking people off ledges. as a silver lining, i've at least been getting a ton of mileage out of the I'm Sorry carving

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Q: Armored Core?

A: We are working on Armored Core.

Q: How is the new Armored Core different from the current Armored Core?

A: No comment. That’s all.

Just for your information, even during interviews with Japanese media, I’ve always said that I wanted to work on new Armored Core titles, so I want to clarify that I’m still interested in working on new Armored Core games.

Editor’s Note: after the interview was conducted, From Software released a statement to Japanese media, mentioning that Miyazaki-san actually did not admit that a Armored Core game is currently in development, but that his statement should be interpreted as the mention of the will to continue to work on the series in the future, but nothing has been decided.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

They're definitely making armored core

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

souls goals
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKvhdRqhXSg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo