Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Zore posted:

...what?

The term 'degenerate' for thing I don't like is something made popular by weirdo alt right creepers and /pol/ posters usually aimed at People Who Are Not Straight White Dudes.

Don't spread that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

mabels big day posted:

I cannot think of anything I hate in this world more than calling a Pokemon move "degenerate".

hosed up

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The term 'degenerate' for thing I don't like is something made popular by weirdo alt right creepers and /pol/ posters usually aimed at People Who Are Not Straight White Dudes.

ok sure.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Its been popular for decades or centuries, but if the Alt-Right fuckheads are associating themselves with it strongly I'll stop using it. I don't normally read that stuff.

I was unaware.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

it's also used not uncommonly when talking about game balance and how it informs the strategies players make for awhile now

don't stop yourself from using a perfectly innocuous word just because some dipshits also use that word

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

"degenerate" comes from greek, meaning "un-generate"

for instance, when you drop a cube of sugar in water it degenerates into sugar water, which ants love

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Just because angry white people use a word doesn't mean you aren't allowed to either. This is a dumb thing to fixate on.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Zore posted:

I feel like going by BST gives some pokemon a huge advantage over others though. Pokemon with good stat allocation (Scizor for example) are worth less than things like Goodra, Metagross or Hydreigon. Or more blatantly Articuno, Moltres or Entei.

Like I get banning or limiting Legendaries but ability, movepool and typing play a huge role in what pokemon are good and bad.

Instead of BST someone should clearly just come up with straight up tabletop wargame point allocation rules for teams. Like a magikarp would be a single point, while a good legendary would be something like 15 or so. Add in modifiers for certain moves/ movesets.

But obviously coming up with a good set of point totals for 700+ pokemon and moves is way more work than just using what currently exists and mostly fine.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

your posting is degenerate

cancerianmoth
Oct 18, 2012

Zore posted:

I feel like going by BST gives some pokemon a huge advantage over others though. Pokemon with good stat allocation (Scizor for example) are worth less than things like Goodra, Metagross or Hydreigon. Or more blatantly Articuno, Moltres or Entei.

Like I get banning or limiting Legendaries but ability, movepool and typing play a huge role in what pokemon are good and bad.

However, all the ones you have listed are psuedo-legendaries. In the BST method I currently play, they wouldn't even be allowed on your team. We usually set a max BST for a pokemon between 400- 555 to exclude psuedo/legendaries but still include Arcanine for example. Setting that number lower makes for some interesting things. Remember, this is just restricting BST not moves, abilities or movesets. So things that have lower BST could end up being more competative bc of their specific traits that would normally ban them in other rule sets.

For the BST budget style- sure the advantage could be a thing to worry about. But setting up that method would require a lot of research of what would make an appropriate BST budget that could give a person a well balanced 6 poke team or an evenly matched 4 poke team.

cancerianmoth fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Sep 21, 2016

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

cancerianmoth posted:

However, all the ones you have listed are psuedo-legendaries. In the BST method I currently play, they wouldn't even be allowed on your team. We usually set a max BST for a pokemon between 400- 555 to exclude psuedo/legendaries but still include Arcanine for example. For the BST budget style- sure the advantage could be a thing to worry about. But setting up that method would require a lot of research of what would make an appropriate BST budget that could give a person a well balanced 6 poke team or an evenly matched 4 poke team.

Sort of my point though, Scizor is a stronger and way better pokemon than any of the other six listed and it has 500 BST.

That isn't even getting into things like Speed-Boost Blaziken, Protean Greninja etc. To each their own I guess, but about half the pseudos are way worse than those dudes. And a ton of the 600 BST 'cute' legendaries and 580 trios are as well.

cancerianmoth
Oct 18, 2012

Zore posted:

Sort of my point though, Scizor is a stronger and way better pokemon than any of the other six listed and it has 500 BST.

That isn't even getting into things like Speed-Boost Blaziken, Protean Greninja etc. To each their own I guess, but about half the pseudos are way worse than those dudes. And a ton of the 600 BST 'cute' legendaries and 580 trios are as well.

The whole point is to have fun with pokemon that aren't usually used. Blaziken, Greninja and Scizor a concern? Then lower the BST so they can't be used, which would be under 500 in order to exclude Scizor from being picked. There aren't that many pokemon over 500 as there are under so there is still ALOT to choose from and have fun with.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Can I ask the dumbest question ever: why is there a scene (or scenes) with rules that differ from the official vgc rules? Isn't everyone's goal to win the actual vgc? Aside from just generally loving around I mean

It seems like the Smogon folks have invested a lot of time into their unique rules and tiers but isn't that like my friends and I adding a 4 point line to our pickup basketball games? That's fine in and of itself but the real game sets the real rules

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Using base stat total as the basis for determining a budget is a bad move, because it means people will harm, rather than help, the usage of Slaking. Which is obviously bad, because Slaking owns.

A good way to evaluate a format is whether it makes Slaking more viable or less viable. If Slaking is more viable, then the format is an improvement.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Waffles Inc. posted:

Can I ask the dumbest question ever: why is there a scene (or scenes) with rules that differ from the official vgc rules? Isn't everyone's goal to win the actual vgc? Aside from just generally loving around I mean

It seems like the Smogon folks have invested a lot of time into their unique rules and tiers but isn't that like my friends and I adding a 4 point line to our pickup basketball games? That's fine in and of itself but the real game sets the real rules

People play unofficial formats for their own sake, because they think that the result is more balanced and therefore more interesting.

cancerianmoth
Oct 18, 2012

Waffles Inc. posted:

VGC is balanced normally around doubles isn't it? And some folks despise doubles is my guess. I'm terrible at them personally. but want to try. I also really like classic 6v6 singles which is why when I play with my buddies the only rule we set is the BST to encourage creative teams and strategies usually banned or unheard of anywhere else. Like one time, I got swept hard by a Vespiqueen tank/stall startegy but on paper my team seemed stronger.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Waffles Inc. posted:

iirc the online simulator scene is older than the official vgc tournies, it makes sense that it wouldn't go away especially when vgc is all about doubles and for better or worse that plays alot differently than the singles that the sim scene had gotten used to

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Smogon should enforce the Item Clause to encourage diversity and creativity in builds.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Bongo Bill posted:

People play unofficial formats for their own sake, because they think that the result is more balanced and therefore more interesting.

Is there a lot of crossover? Like would the best Showdown or Smogon players roll over a VGC or do the different rule sets impact the meta to such a big degree that things have to be unlearned?

I'm just fascinated by how deep and old the online battle communities are and how much orthodoxy there is and the impact that the vgc scene is having on it

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i have fond memories of being like, 10 and trying(and failing) to understand how the irc chatbot that simulated gsc battles worked

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Bongo Bill posted:

Smogon should enforce the Item Clause to encourage diversity and creativity in builds.

I'm gonna put leftovers on everything and you can't stop me.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

oddium posted:

"degenerate" comes from greek, meaning "un-generate"

for instance, when you drop a cube of sugar in water it degenerates into sugar water, which ants love

One weird tip that Durants love

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Paranoid much?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

like yeah using a prankster dedenne with thundurus' stats would be extremely my jam, but dedenne is bad so i'm not going to put it on a team. when cool and usable line up on a pokemon... 😚👌

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
z-moves incite degenerate gameplay

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Z-Moves are going to change things up so much that Smogon should just throw everything out and reevaluate every pokemon from scratch. This is my prediction.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

In Therian Forme, Thundurus seems to be based on a reptile, most likely a snake or dragon. It may also draw inspiration from the Azure Dragon and/or Black Tortoise of the Chinese Four Symbols constellation, or from Quetzalcoatl, a god from the Aztec mythology that resembles a feathered serpent.

bulbapedia what. this is almost worse than the norse mythology zygarde stuff

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Improbable Lobster posted:

It's not like Haze or Topsy Turvy or other moves that gently caress with stat boosts don't exist

Well, in the current meta the issue is that Speed Boost Ninjask or Blaziken can Swords Dance, Protect, and Baton Pass +2 Speed, +2 Attack to Dragonite or Garchomp and rip your team in half by virtue of Focus Sash guaranteeing that no amount of Flamethrower/Earthquake can stop them.

Eevee has the flaw of not being able to wear a Focus Sash (it's going to have a Z Crystal), and being pretty frail in the first place. A strong attack and a priority attack (if even two) will probably take it out fast.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Waffles Inc. posted:

Is there a lot of crossover? Like would the best Showdown or Smogon players roll over a VGC or do the different rule sets impact the meta to such a big degree that things have to be unlearned?

I'm just fascinated by how deep and old the online battle communities are and how much orthodoxy there is and the impact that the vgc scene is having on it

A lot of poo poo that is flat out useless in Singles is excellent in Doubles, and vice versa. However, there is definitely some crossover. Gengar is Gengar is Gengar, so he's always good. He's got a good movepool, good typing, good ability, is strong, and sits in an excellent speed tier. All of that is still true in Doubles, PLUS he avoids a lot of his partner's multi-opponent hitting moves by virtue of his type and ability, etc.

Conversely, and this is just me talking out of my rear end, something like Skarmory is excellent in Singles because Singles is built around a lot of switching out and Skarmory is excellent at laying down hazards to take advantage of switching and then soaking up damage and Roosting it away, it's probably pretty useless in Doubles.

Finally, you would never see a Pachirisu on a serious OU Singles team, but there was an entire strategy devoted to it in Doubles that was awesome.

Personally, I think Singles and Doubles are both cool, but I prefer Singles probably because 99% of the in-game battles are Singles, 99% of the battles in the anime and manga are Singles, etc.

Nanigans fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Sep 21, 2016

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

why don't the genies learn wish

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
i like triple battles because i made a very stupid team based around keeping one pokemon in sky drop forever that flat out doesn't even work against pokemon that are too heavy and it's very funny when it all comes together

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Classtoise posted:

Well, in the current meta the issue is that Speed Boost Ninjask or Blaziken can Swords Dance, Protect, and Baton Pass +2 Speed, +2 Attack to Dragonite or Garchomp and rip your team in half by virtue of Focus Sash guaranteeing that no amount of Flamethrower/Earthquake can stop them.

neither of those pokemon are existent in the meta

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

sharrrk posted:

People make wishes to them, they don't make wishes themselves, that'd be breaking the rules. You didn't see Genie in Aladdlin wish for his own freedom.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Waffles Inc. posted:

iirc someone here said that the nugget brigade people (the largest online VGC group) sometimes play with smogon people and just, like, aren't that great comparatively. but that's secondhand knowledge so it might be meaningless.

the reason people play different metagames is because that's what they enjoy. there's basically zero money in pokemon so people who play do it because they enjoy playing the thing. it's why people play non-esports comp games. it's like asking why people play old street fighter games rather than the most recent one

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

sharrrk posted:

why doesn't hoopa

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Countblanc posted:

iirc someone here said that the nugget brigade people (the largest online VGC group) sometimes play with smogon people and just, like, aren't that great comparatively. but that's secondhand knowledge so it might be meaningless.

the reason people play different metagames is because that's what they enjoy. there's basically zero money in pokemon so people who play do it because they enjoy playing the thing. it's why people play non-esports comp games. it's like asking why people play old street fighter games rather than the most recent one

:yeah: what she said.

Also, I think it's "Nugget Bridge" like the location in Kanto.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Reinanigans posted:

Personally, I think Singles and Doubles are both cool, but I prefer Singles probably because 99% of the in-game battles are Singles, 99% of the battles in the anime and manga are Singles, etc.

To be honest, this is probably one of the biggest reasons why there is a competitive scene around singles. Despite Double battles being planned to be in the games since the first gen, it couldn't be implemented until Gen III, and even then that format is barely used in the single player campaigns. It's a bit easier to make the transition since you know what happens in singles.

Countblanc posted:

Also, this.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

lol at the people who didn't put over a hundred hours in both Colosseum and XD and therefore have a deep understanding and respect for Double Battling.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

oddium posted:

why doesn't hoopa

i don't know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Doubles was a mistake