Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Helter Skelter posted:

Only for ship purchases.

Oh okay, what're the standard costs the for like, 50lyr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

That agility rating isn't the whole story. In the blue zone the FAS and FDL are comparable (although FAS pulls ahead slightly), outside of it though the difference is absolutely huge (FAS is more agile by miles).

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

frank.club posted:

Oh okay, what're the standard costs the for like, 50lyr
Gonna depend on the ship. 103ly (goat to jameson) ranges from like ~20k to ~200k for my collection of ships.

e: travel time is more regular, at ~4.75ly/minute regardless of ship.

Helter Skelter fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Sep 21, 2016

Zest
May 7, 2007

ACHIEVE HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE

:stare:

Oh please be real...

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
I tried to fire up the beta, but every time I try to update, it crashes after about a minute. The same happened after I deleted the whole PUBLIC_TEST_SERVER_64 folder. Anyone else run into this?

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

TorakFade posted:

can anyone see other actual, honest-to-God cases where it'd be useful with the current 30 min / 100k delay/cost (for an Asp 167ly away)?
Haha at that time you could probably move like 3 ships manually.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Insert name here posted:

Haha at that time you could probably move like 3 ships manually.

yeah but immersion was maintained

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Look if it can happen while I'm logged off then whatever

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Oh man! Finally watched the neutron dropout video and that is awesome! But, at 25%, why would anyone risk even the slim chance of an unavoidable death for such a small bonus when basic mats can be used for the same result?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

In the time it takes to utilise that 25% boost, you could've jumped 3-4 times anyway. Once you've finished loving around charging the drive and then re-plotting your route, it would probably be quicker just to jump normally.

Grognards are currently raging on the forums about any greater* increase "shrinking the galaxy" (oh noes!).

*i.e. one that would actually be worth using.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
:qq:MY AUTISM:qq:

Bitching about the financial cost does seem a little out of place, though. Usually anything that makes the game more tedious is welcomed. I can't wait for the official poll on the jump boost where they say they're already planning on keeping it at 25% but if a truly epic number of people vote and that vote is totally one-sided then they might be willing to change.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
I don't see how boosting jump ranges from relatively rare stars will make any meaningful impact unless it's basically an order of magnitude. When putzing around the bubble I guess a one-off 50 ly jump is nice but if you were, say, flying in from jaques then the boost will be averaged out in short order.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hahahah but even at the absolute max (50 lyr ish) it's only a difference of 12.5 lyr. And on top of that you've probably already have a route mapped and it's not like you're gonna chain neutron stars forever.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Oh Taipan is a type of snake. :downs:

Im still amazed "Fer-De-Lance" is too.
But because of the actual snake, who names a snake like that?

On the other hand, all other games usually have knife and sword names for their ships so im ok with the who-is-who of snaketown.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
So I have to reconsider dropping mines, this time in Sothis it was a stupid idea because it just delayed getting back into supercruise as I wrestled with the controls when I noticed oops, it's not one enemy who pulled me out, it was three or four at once.

The mission-spawned enemy was in a Python (which I found out later - I never had time to check the others, and what weapon fires yellowish "beams"?) and with its mass lock factor of 17 I probably wasn't getting out of there alive either way. Bonus points for the still slowly charging FSD breaking immediately after losing the shield :haw:

Good thing it was only a DBX but still, it was funny to lose close to a million in insurance to ships worth 50+ million each, in a mission that pays 30k.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

frank.club posted:

Hahahah but even at the absolute max (50 lyr ish) it's only a difference of 12.5 lyr. And on top of that you've probably already have a route mapped and it's not like you're gonna chain neutron stars forever.

Some crazy guy on the forums already mapped out a neutron star road from the bubble to Jaques. Of course with a 25% boost that space highway will actually take longer, but eh, what are details like that worth if you're absolutely mental?

King of Cheeses
Jul 25, 2007
Crusty on the outside, smooth and creamy on the inside.

Libluini posted:

I just found a Federation scientist who wants to travel to Jaques' station first class, together with her staff.

My Anaconda has enough cabin space. If this weren't Beta, I would do this. 20k+ light years? gently caress it, it's for science and 44 million bucks

Man, I hope they leave those special long-range trips in.

Edit:

Before you ask, that wasn't even an Elite-mission, just Pioneer. Which means you could theoretically get even higher payouts.

This is quite cool. I recently went to Jaques Station and did some exploration on the way. I turned in just 7M. Receiving 44M for a straight trip out there would be great. Can only hope there's a mission to come with some passengers too!

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Im still amazed "Fer-De-Lance" is too.
But because of the actual snake, who names a snake like that?

On the other hand, all other games usually have knife and sword names for their ships so im ok with the who-is-who of snaketown.
Sometimes when I bother to think about it, it kind of annoys me a bit that half the ships in the game seem to follow the same naming convention. It'd be one thing if they were all made by the same company, but no, it's spread across three of the six ship manufacturers in the game. I know a lot of it is held over from previous games, I just hope they end up branching some of this stuff out a bit more. Give me more birdships from Core Dynamics. poo poo, introduce a totally new shipmaker and have them make stuff named after cool fish or something.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Helter Skelter posted:

Sometimes when I bother to think about it, it kind of annoys me a bit that half the ships in the game seem to follow the same naming convention. It'd be one thing if they were all made by the same company, but no, it's spread across three of the six ship manufacturers in the game. I know a lot of it is held over from previous games, I just hope they end up branching some of this stuff out a bit more. Give me more birdships from Core Dynamics. poo poo, introduce a totally new shipmaker and have them make stuff named after cool fish or something.

Like Beluga, or Orca, or Dolphin? (yes i know, those arent fish)

But i agree, every manufacturer should have its own line of naming.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Just because im bored and like to talk about my cutter:

with a good (actually over maximum due to secondaries) roll on charge enhance 5 distributor, 2x large lightweight thermal vent beam turrets on 3 pips can fire indefinitly while actively cooling the ship to a cozy 34° degrees.

Heat vent feels horribly broken, but then again so do 90% of all engineer upgrades.
I would have to test (which i wont) but i think since nobody runs chaffs in pvp ever, because nobody uses turrets in pvp ever, an all-turret all-laser all-thermal-vent build could do unlimited silent running provided your capacitor keeps up.
Which it should, since youre putting 0 pips into systems.

Yolomon Wayne fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Sep 21, 2016

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Just because im bored and like to talk about my cutter:

with a good (actually over maximum due to secondaries) roll on charge enhance 5 distributor, 2x large lightweight thermal vent beam turrets on 3 pips can fire indefinitly while actively cooling the ship to a cozy 34° degrees.

Heat vent feels horribly broken, but then again so do 90% of all engineer upgrades.
I would have to test (which i wont) but i think since nobody runs chaffs in pvp ever, because nobody uses turrets in pvp ever, an all-turret all-laser all-thermal-vent build could do unlimited silent running provided your capacitor keeps up.
Which it should, since youre putting 0 pips into systems.

Surely if the weapons have thermal vents then that defeats the point of silent running, or is it a magic thermal vent which doesn't show up as a heat signature to the scanner?

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

legooolas posted:

Surely if the weapons have thermal vents then that defeats the point of silent running, or is it a magic thermal vent which doesn't show up as a heat signature to the scanner?

I have no idea.
All i know is the more lasers i shoot, the cooler my ship runs to the point where i use lasers to cool down from the overheating with plasmaguns.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

legooolas posted:

Thermal Vent is an special engineer effect for beam lasers that increases heat dissipation when you hit a target.

There problems with a theoretical silent running turret build using these are several:

1. Turreted lasers kind of blow rear end, damage-wise.
2. Effectiveness of a silent running build may be adversely affected by lighting yourself up like a goddamn Christmas tree whenever you fire.
3. A lot of people DO run chaff, and it's basically a hard counter to this nonsense.
4. Wait, silent running in a Cutter? loving :lol:

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Helter Skelter posted:

Thermal Vent is an special engineer effect for beam lasers that increases heat dissipation when you hit a target.

There problems with a theoretical silent running turret build using these are several:

1. Turreted lasers kind of blow rear end, damage-wise.
2. Effectiveness of a silent running build may be adversely affected by lighting yourself up like a goddamn Christmas tree whenever you fire.
3. A lot of people DO run chaff, and it's basically a hard counter to this nonsense.
4. Wait, silent running in a Cutter? loving :lol:

1. You can however simply turn them on, and focus on getting out of harms way while doing damage all the time.
2. From what ive seen effectiveness of silent running comes from not being targettable
3. Never seen one pop in in the pvp videos, but i cant comment on live play
4. Not in a cutter obviously. But FAS comes to mind, and ive seen SR turret-cobras.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

People will still be able to target you from farther than you'd think. Even a ninja DBS at 0% heat can still be targeted from within ~750m or so.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Helter Skelter posted:

Well, when people can just point themselves at the enormous whale of a ship that can't turn for poo poo and is announcing its position with laser-tickles, then being targetable or not is something of a moot point. Also, people will still be able to target you from farther than you'd think, because unlike a Cobra or even a FAS, the Cutter is loving enormous. Even a ninja DBS at 0% heat can be targeted from within ~750m or so.

as clarified in 4.), i dont mean "in a cutter".

Also i think you might not have used turrets for a while, they are way more useful than they used to be.
Far from "laser tickle".
Id still probably go for 2x cooling lasers and 2x multicannons aimed at power plant instead of pure lasers, but i dont know if that would keep the heat level enough to operate without sinks or turning off SR.

If im bored enough i might try this poo poo with a Cobra4, which looks like it has the best hardpoint setup for this and doesnt eat too much insurance.

e: to clarify once more, this is not about "teh bestest pvp ship" its about engineered lasers actively cooling a ship down enough to enable SR - with lasers.

Yolomon Wayne fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Sep 21, 2016

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Yeah, I get that, not trying to be a dick or anything. It's an interesting thought, I would just stick to a smaller ship and gimbals rather than turrets. Turrets are better than they used to be, but they're still a pretty dramatic reduction in damage. This is maybe made up for a bit by not having to aim them at all, but eehhh...

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Helter Skelter posted:

Yeah, I get that, not trying to be a dick or anything. It's an interesting thought, I would just stick to a smaller ship and gimbals rather than turrets. Turrets are better than they used to be, but they're still a pretty dramatic reduction in damage. This is maybe made up for a bit by not having to aim them at all, but eehhh...

My thought behind turrets was that you literally didnt have to care where you were facing 90% of the time.
Heat vent lasers only work as long as they connect, so the moment the target is out of your gunsight the gimbals cant cool you while a turret would keep up the colling effect way longer.
(i would like to say again my dirty drives cutter runs cooler when firing lasers than when not firing lasers. which is ridiculous imo)

Which leads me to the thought of using the lasers exclusiely as cooling method (that ideally destroys shields), and doing actual damage via (thermal engineered maybe) multicannons.
Vulture comes to mind.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
So, my dad's cat pissed directly into my gaming PC.

Shut up, I'm going somewhere with this. She managed to spray into the should-have-been-fan-holes on the side of the case (Corsair C70), and simultaneously hose down the motherboard, PSU, and GPU. While the PC was on.

So I bought a new gaming rig, and at the same time a Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog so I can maybe suck slightly less for controls reasons in Elite. I've been enjoying the game since it came out. I wanted to tell people about something - Newegg is selling the HOTAS Warthog with a set of their TFRP rudder pedals for $400, if anybody wants to hop on that.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Exit Strategy posted:

So, my dad's cat pissed directly into my gaming PC.

Shut up, I'm going somewhere with this. She managed to spray into the should-have-been-fan-holes on the side of the case (Corsair C70), and simultaneously hose down the motherboard, PSU, and GPU. While the PC was on.

So I bought a new gaming rig, and at the same time a Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog so I can maybe suck slightly less for controls reasons in Elite. I've been enjoying the game since it came out. I wanted to tell people about something - Newegg is selling the HOTAS Warthog with a set of their TFRP rudder pedals for $400, if anybody wants to hop on that.

gently caress the hotas, tell me more about the cat.
Is she ok?
Do you plan on monetizing her ability to wreck gaming hardware, and if so, how?

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Yolomon Wayne posted:

gently caress the hotas, tell me more about the cat.
Is she ok?
Do you plan on monetizing her ability to wreck gaming hardware, and if so, how?

Oh, she's fine. And the house didn't catch on fire either, which after the loving month I've had is real relief. We presently have no plans on using Puzzle's powers of being Kitty Karnak.

Here's the culprit, hiding in the basement, moments after the sabotage:

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Exit Strategy posted:

Oh, she's fine. And the house didn't catch on fire either, which after the loving month I've had is real relief. We presently have no plans on using Puzzle's powers of being Kitty Karnak.

This is an "Everything is proceeding as i have forseen" look if ive ever seen one.
Be veeeery careful.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Exit Strategy posted:

It could be your cat resents you for sitting too long at your PC. I certainly know my cat gets pissy if I don't give her enough attention. She just prefers messing with me (like sitting on my hand to prevent me from using the mouse) to literally urinating on my computer.

(She also loves music, so as long as I listen to music while doing poo poo with my PC, she tends to sleep like a baby.)

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Libluini posted:

It could be your cat resents you for sitting too long at your PC. I certainly know my cat gets pissy if I don't give her enough attention. She just prefers messing with me (like sitting on my hand to prevent me from using the mouse) to literally urinating on my computer.

(She also loves music, so as long as I listen to music while doing poo poo with my PC, she tends to sleep like a baby.)

We're cleaning the house. My fiancee and I have moved into this house because my mother recently died, and dad's a 72-year-old quadruple-amputee double-transplant patient with malpractice-induced diabetes and more medical problems than most people have ever seen. Oh, and the rest of the family are busy with their own lives, and can't you take care of that thanks a bunch.

Thankfully, my fiancee's a registered CNA and I've got EMT training, so between us we're doing OK taking care of him.

We think the initiator for The Piss Incident was us throwing away Puzzle's favorite chair, which was more her favorite Pile Of Shredded Upholstery. Mom was something of a hoarder.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Exit Strategy posted:

We think the initiator for The Piss Incident was us throwing away Puzzle's favorite chair, which was more her favorite Pile Of Shredded Upholstery. Mom was something of a hoarder.

Yeah, that's probably it. Sounds like typical cat thinking at work here. The cleaning probably doesn't help either, my little kitten took multiple years until she started tolerating me cleaning. Before that, bristled hairs, loud complaining and hiding in hard-to-reach spots.

The added stress from everything combined made little Puzzle probably really angry. :v:

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
Deployed fighters are every bit as fun as you would imagine. :)

Complaint Compilation
Apr 8, 2016

:sax:
Since the cargo ships basically suck, to get stuff for engineer upgrades I got a Cobra3.
Good choice? It seems to have the hardpoints+speed.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Get some shelf brackets and a sheet of plywood to mount a cat shelf adjacent to a South-facing window. You should experience fewer cat incidents.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
I put dual mine launchers on the small hard points of my trade Anaconda. Those things are ridiculously effective. Totally killed an interdicting Python in the time it took for my FSD to recharge.

Does anyone have tips for a suitable weapons loadout once I make some more bank? Does the Conda require turrets to be effective?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Libluini posted:

Some crazy guy on the forums already mapped out a neutron star road from the bubble to Jaques. Of course with a 25% boost that space highway will actually take longer, but eh, what are details like that worth if you're absolutely mental?

Phenomenal

• Locked thread