Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

A Neurotic Jew posted:

citizens are currently very angry at this leaker for giving them actual information about the status of their open-development game.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
It's weird how sometimes posts from here will end up on reddit but I never see anyone like Cymelion or Tark responding to them. Surely they try their best to ignore that we're laughing at them constantly but still I think it would take far more willpower than they possess to not respond ever. Someone should make a reddit bot that posts a reply to their comment every time one of their posts is linked here. I know they already do this when different sub-reddits reference one another and I think it has the possibility to create a lot of laughs.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

A Neurotic Jew posted:

citizens are currently very angry at this leaker for giving them actual information about the status of their open-development game.

Oh the irony of defeat. :negative:

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
This thread needs a new shill.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

thatguy posted:

This thread needs a new shill.

What happened to MoMA?

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

D1E posted:

What happened to MoMA?
"I've been really busy - at work."

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

MeLKoR posted:

Which is why there are no incompetent men, unqualified for their positions, anywhere, ever. Unless they are minorities?!

*forwards to http://everydayfeminism.com/ *

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Cymelion being an Australian makes sense only because when you try to argue with an average Australian redneck they get super aggressive and increasingly incoherent.

At the same time though most are more mouth than trousers (or brains) so you don't have to be as worried about them as the European Citizens 8ace lives in eternal fear of.
He's from NT, so yeah derro as gently caress. Also:

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
Remember when Lazrin used to post in this thread but then he got probated for a few days and cried all the way back to reddit? Good times.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

thatguy posted:

It's weird how sometimes posts from here will end up on reddit but I never see anyone like Cymelion or Tark responding to them. Surely they try their best to ignore that we're laughing at them constantly but still I think it would take far more willpower than they possess to not respond ever. Someone should make a reddit bot that posts a reply to their comment every time one of their posts is linked here. I know they already do this when different sub-reddits reference one another and I think it has the possibility to create a lot of laughs.

Tarkaroshe had a days long meltdown when he found out he was in the Mirificus thread I think.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

I think we can all be our own best Shills if we all just believe in ~dreams~ again.

I can't wait to explore the 100 planets building social connections to all the other citizens there so that my space cult can have useful contacts to help spread the word of my space cult.

CrazyTolradi posted:

:barf:

edit:

it's me, I am the horrific aliasing in the generic landing zone

Raskolnikov fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Sep 21, 2016

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Raskolnikov posted:

I think we can all be our own best Shills if we all just believe in ~dreams~ again.

I can't wait to explore the 100 planets building social connections to all the other citizens there so that my space cult can have useful contacts to help spread the word of my space cult.
:barf:

edit:

For a moment I thought this was a scene from some sci-fi tv show.

That's how sadly generic Star Citizen is, only thing that I recognized was Cry-Astro, scrub that, its just another hollywood-esque spacestation.

Compared to this. Big central volumes with interconnected space lattices for traversal.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

CrazyTolradi posted:

So open-development, it's flipped over from 32767 to -32768.

Yeah. When they made the transition to 16 bit.

Colostomy Bag fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Sep 21, 2016

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Raskolnikov posted:

timg]http://i.imgur.com/wGFzORa.jpg[/timg]

you mean a lot of contrasting, sharp, straight lines, that aren't perfectly vertical or horizontal cause aliasing? you want to make that your art aesthetic, and your engine doesn't support any modern AA techniques? well, good luck to you.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Holy poo poo, I broke /r/ds.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

CrazyTolradi posted:

I don't think that ratio is correct. More likely that the local women have found the quickest way to fend off his advances is say "I'm actually a man." They're not aware that "Elite Dangerous is just the best space game ever" would be equally effective.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Sunswipe posted:

I don't think that ratio is correct. More likely that the local women have found the quickest way to fend off his advances is say "I'm actually a man." They're not aware that "Elite Dangerous is just the best space game ever" would be equally effective.

"Derek Smart was right" would also work

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Thread title rules.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
https://twitter.com/SandiGardiner/status/778427579510292480

:effort:

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

A Neurotic Jew's evocati posts posted:

There are obvious a range of opinions about this. But I guarantee we're here to get it right. When we have the test, make sure you keep an open mind and remember to consider this from a holistic perspective.

I know everyone's super excited for 2.6.0 but I wanted to set appropriate expectations. I don't like to speculate (as you know) but we're looking at several weeks of work that have to be done which likely puts us into October before we're ready for Evocati testing.
Please be respectful of your NDA status and keep this information to yourselves. No need to stir people up unnecessarily.

Hahaha "don't get too excited, 2.6 sucks."

Also:

ho·lis·tic (adj) "characterized by the treatment of the whole person, taking into account mental and social factors, rather than just the physical symptoms of a disease."

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Everytime those pics are posted all I can think of this:

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016
i like how the big evocati push is to fix the one and only thing that actually works, ship combat.

You guys want framerates? Lag Elimination? Collision fixed? Any of the other 85% of ships or 99% of space and 99.9% of features?

Here at CIG we strive to redo the 00.1% we actually have done to ensure everything is perfect the first second third fourth fifth sixth seventh sometime.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Seriously, how much did they spend on this loving office that 12 out of their 300 employees actually work in?

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Sunswipe posted:

imgur is 1 tiny step above reddit.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

MeLKoR posted:

:drat: good notes

I learned from the best :D

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Fat Shat Sings posted:

i like how the big evocati push is to fix the one and only thing that actually works, ship combat.

You guys want framerates? Lag Elimination? Collision fixed? Any of the other 85% of ships or 99% of space and 99.9% of features?

Here at CIG we strive to redo the 00.1% we actually have done to ensure everything is perfect the first second third fourth fifth sixth seventh sometime.

I thought it was a pile of poo poo and that's why no one plays arena commander?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Ship balance is very important in this pre-alpha game state that has been out for two years.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
just to clarify - the leaked stats are for an arena commander update, not for the PU. It sounds like the evocati will first be getting access to this updated AC before being given access to the rest of the 2.6 updates (namely Star Marine)

Of course who knows how the plans will change now that they have a leaker. Shut down the entire evocati system? hire new investigators to suss out the mole? quit social media? alot of options to work with.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Sunswipe posted:

It's not, Darwin has slightly more men but only at about 54% of the population. Unless he's living out at some mining camp in which case yeah no poo poo, I don't blame women for not wanting to deal that crap.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

orcinus posted:

I've seen glove-friendly *finger* trigger guards.
Must admit i've never seen a *hand* trigger guard, though.

But what do i know, IANAgunnut.

The full hand trigger guard is more common on bullpups, where it's often used as a rudimentary second foregrip, but the reason still the same

Not that it hasn't been seen on conventional format rifles, but mostly in prototypes like the StG45 Horn and the Waffenfabrik Bern C42, a competitor against the SIG SG540 series in the '70s-'80s.

Of course, the main reason you don't see full hand trigger guard on conventional rifles is that making a flip-away trigger guard is easier than designing something like that.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Nah, that's an IKEA show room. All those screens are cardboard, and the chairs are the desks are piled up in the warehouse down the hall, along with wall art. The people are random shoppers.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Of course who knows how the plans will change now that they have a leaker. Shut down the entire evocati system? hire new investigators to suss out the mole? quit social media? alot of options to work with.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

CrazyTolradi posted:

It's not, Darwin has slightly more men but only at about 54% of the population. Unless he's living out at some mining camp in which case yeah no poo poo, I don't blame women for not wanting to deal that crap.

He's talking about imgur/SC.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
A Socioeconomical Perspective on Grim Hex

Edited for BLUF (aka TL:DR): In the absence of a structured institutionalized government, mankind will always find itself organized in order to pursue common goals, even if loosely. Through said organization, paramount among all other aspects would be security, as without security, even if only offering a false perception of security, there would be no incentive to form a collective body (i.e. a port of Grim Hex).

The devs should look for a way to decentivize anti-social behavior around social hubs, while protecting individual rights to play and experience the game in a manner that is free and in the spirit of freedom of choice in the Universe. The OP suggests that this decentivization come in the form of harsh consequences in the form of automated NPC security guards, while still allowing the player the ability to commit such crimes in a specified vicinity (i.e. you can fire on other players, as you are able to now, but when you do so within the vicinity of Grim Hex, then pirate security guards will be alerted and attack you).

As I exited the "they've gone plaid" that is quantum travel into the Yela meteor belt, I quickly located and closed in towards the bustling pirate oasis that is Grim Hex. Touted to be the Crusader System's "Mos Eisley," Grim Hex is a (near) lawless haven of scum and villainy; just the place I'm looking for.

As I piloted my Gladius closer, a Hornet, having recently left the facility, passed by me in the opposite direction, roughly 5000 km away. A safe distance, in these parts. When I had finally arrived at my destination, strafing up over the horizon of the rock formation protecting the mining facility from outside onlookers, I quickly identified two things; first was a landing zone for me to set down my ship, and the second was another Hornet, hovering over the facility and staring right at me. I immediately halted, preparing for a fight to just enter this hollowed out rock; but the Hornet didn't move, and I slowly approached and landed without any incident. As I scurried to find the entrance, having no prior knowledge of any sort of firearm prohibition (a'la Port Olisar), I noticed that the Hornet, now moving, was still pointed directly at me, now on foot, running through the corridors to find the entrance. Finally, after an excitingly uneventful five to ten minutes; I had found, landed, and entered into Grim Hex, where weapons were not permitted to be used inside of the facility.

A few minutes later, while running around Grim Hex, I heard some shooting from ships outside, then an explosion, and noticed that my ship had been blown up.

What's the point of me telling this story?

The point is to bring some additional thought to the, presumptive, anarchist paradise that is Grim Hex, and to the vast array of follow-on sister locations where pirates and ne'er-do-wells will seek to congregate.

Most of us have seen the glorious motion picture that is Star Wars: Episode 4. The idea of a near-lawless bastion of freedom, such as Mos Eisley, appeals to many people [insert political rhetoric about small government here]. However, Grim Hex, as it stands today in the game (before you hit that "Comment" button; yes, I know; everything is subject to change; that's why I'm posting this perspective for discussion), is not realistic on the grounds of socioeconomics.

Yes, I can suspend many beliefs of astro-mining facilities being suspended with cables (or whatever they are) to asteroids in a belt around a barren moon; I follow all of that. But the economist inside of me can't suspend the belief that, at the root core, Grim Hex is a port, and ports exist for one singular reason: to make money (especially if ran by pirates).

In order for any business, inside of Grim Hex, to be successful, it must make money. In order to make money, it must have a steady flow of supply and demand (yes, this is a very simplistic argument for S&D, I'm not about to discuss the Invisible Hand of Capitalism and theories by Hayek, Adam Smith, Milton Friedman, etc in a forum about a space sim; let's just go with this for the sake of argument). Supplies must be able to freely flow into Grim Hex, and customers (demand) must be able to freely flow into, and out of, Grim Hex. If customers are unable to freely flow into the port, then the businesses will leave; when the businesses leave, then the port will cease to exist.

Let's look at this in a modern concept. All political and social joking aside, if customers were genuinely afraid of risking their lives to enter into a mall, then there would be no reason for businesses to pay the mall to have a storefront. Businesses would leave, and the mall would have to close down.

This is the same with Grim Hex. In a realistic scenario, if people were genuinely concerned that they'll be killed while trying to get into the port, then they simply won't go to said port, and the businesses within would leave. If people didn't have the ability to "magically" revive inside of Grim Hex, given their wanted level, then it's likely that, given a more severe punishment to enter and exit (as is expected in launch), they simply wouldn't go there. Therefore, in order to best maintain a port, one must properly, and securely, incentivize customers to conduct business at said port.

Furthermore, on a sociological perspective of this, it is safe to assume that Grim Hex would, in fact, not be an "anarchist paradise" (to use my earlier phrase), but would actually have its security maintained by the owner/s of Grim Hex, or by a security firm (either legitimate or illegitimate). Using the Mos Eisley example, the Hutts, a criminal mob organization, provided for most of the "goings on" and protection within the system, and there was even an agreement between the Hutts and the Empire in order to maintain security of the region.

So from a sociological perspective, mankind (and by extension, alienkind, given that they are, currently, a figment of our imaginations) will always seek to form protective societies; even if said society is thought to be an uncontrolled conglomerate of individuals.

A modern day parallel of this would be that of Somali pirates. Somalia, being a near-lawless failed state (see also, basically anarchy), provided a safehaven for pirates to join together and conduct raiding parties on civilian ships. Within these roving bands of pirates, there was still structure and organization providing for security within the "in group." Though I'm not an expert on this particular subject (my experience comes from the Middle East), I would have to imagine that it was not common for Somali pirates to murder one another as they conducted their business, or else they would be unable to work together for their collective goals.

So, too, would be the case in a galaxy far far away, one would have to conclude, based on human behavior.

My proposal, for consideration, would be to NOT implement a firearm prohibition, like the one at Port Olisar, around Grim Hex. Instead, I would argue that there would be swift and deadly punishment for anyone who breaks the implied "truce" within the area of protection by the owner/s of Grim Hex, or its security forces.

Any sort of inappropriate behavior, within a protected area, would be seen as a violation of the social code of conduct, and would, as one can imagine, result in being a "marked man," who could expect to not live very long.

Just something to consider, as we enter and exit Grim Hex at our own risk, wondering if it's worth the effort just to buy those sweet new kicks and a "Lies" t-shirt.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
t-minus 3 months till the jesus patch,

thoughts are as follows :

http://i.imgur.com/gykgQTu.gifv

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Marching Powder posted:

I thought it was a pile of poo poo and that's why no one plays arena commander?

I think the Arena Commander criticism is mostly about how there is no point in doing anything but shooting missiles, and they haven't fixed it in like a year.

You'll see elitist spergs talking about how all their premium dogfighting skills are meaningless because they are too badass to use missiles and try to use guns to fight everyone that just fires missiles.

Complaint Compilation
Apr 8, 2016

:sax:

Mirificus posted:

A Socioeconomical Perspective on Grim Hex

My proposal, for consideration, would be to NOT implement a firearm prohibition, like the one at Port Olisar, around Grim Hex. Instead, I would argue that there would be swift and deadly punishment for anyone who breaks the implied "truce" within the area of protection by the owner/s of Grim Hex, or its security forces.

Any sort of inappropriate behavior, within a protected area, would be seen as a violation of the social code of conduct, and would, as one can imagine, result in being a "marked man," who could expect to not live very long.

Just something to consider, as we enter and exit Grim Hex at our own risk, wondering if it's worth the effort just to buy those sweet new kicks and a "Lies" t-shirt.
Holy god tell me this is one of you.
:stare:
I didn't type so it's not me.

quote:

The point is to bring some additional thought to the, presumptive, anarchist paradise that is Grim Hex, and to the vast array of follow-on sister locations where pirates and ne'er-do-wells will seek to congregate.

Most of us have seen the glorious motion picture that is Star Wars: Episode 4.
:wtc:

Complaint Compilation fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Sep 21, 2016

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

A Neurotic Jew posted:

just to clarify - the leaked stats are for an arena commander update, not for the PU. It sounds like the evocati will first be getting access to this updated AC before being given access to the rest of the 2.6 updates (namely Star Marine)

Maybe they'll just start a whole new nested set of secret tester club members, and continue to narrow it down until only a few remain until they can pick out the mole. By then we'll be like 12 secret testing groups deep. Like some sort of hosed up russian nesting doll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Lime Tonics posted:

t-minus 3 months till the jesus patch,

quote:

Will "Soulcrusher" Leverett: Hi guys!

I know everyone's super excited for 2.6.0 but I wanted to set appropriate expectations. I don't like to speculate (as you know) but we're looking at several weeks of work that have to be done which likely puts us into October before we're ready for Evocati testing.

Please be respectful of your NDA status and keep this information to yourselves. No need to stir people up unnecessarily.
As soon as we have more information on it, you'll be the first to know!

So for 2.6,
(late) October/November - Evocati
November - PTU
December - Live

Now do you think they'll get 3.0 ready, and tested within a month, let alone the Christmas period?
Jesus patch just got delayed to 2017. Not that it ever was going to make it anyway. This is just the first official communication that excludes a reasonable time frame for 2016.

Tokamak fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Sep 21, 2016

• Locked thread