Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

gently caress whoever thought capacitive buttons were a good idea. Nevermind the eject bug, accidentally brushing against it as well

what the hell is everyone's problem with these buttons (legit bug aside)? are you all blindly fumbling into a dark hole to mess around with your console's USB ports or something? it's not that hard to go through life without accidentally pressing a button.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

morallyobjected posted:

what the hell is everyone's problem with these buttons (legit bug aside)? are you all blindly fumbling into a dark hole to mess around with your console's USB ports or something? it's not that hard to go through life without accidentally pressing a button.

Theyre annoying and after a while just don't function as well. Actual buttons that click in when you push them are better.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

morallyobjected posted:

is the ps4 spitting out discs at random with no sure fix on a $300-400 console not reason enough? Lol

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

is the ps4 spitting out discs at random with no sure fix on a $300-400 console not reason enough? Lol

Lol people still use discs.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

yes, people still use disks. microsoft was reminded of this when they announced the bone

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

morallyobjected posted:

The cleaning lady has accidentally powered on my PS4 a few times now fwiw

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

BGrifter posted:

Even without a disc it'll still beep and make the associated noises

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

discs go on sale pretty often because there are a zillion retailers that still carry physical media and they also have online stores, whereas as far as i can recall there are exactly two retailers for digital downloads for the ps4. also maybe two for the xbox? i dont recall if amazon does digital downloads for them too or not.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Also the Amazon prime preorder deals

I mean yeah I'll digitally buy a game I play everyday but for something worth just a playthrough I'll pay $48 to Amazon and then sell it for $40 when I'm done 🤓

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

morallyobjected posted:

Sometimes I like to clean it or near it? I know that's probably foreign on these forums.

Also its a jank-rear end version of something that already exists and works fine (regular buttons)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I'm so glad I bought dragon age inquisition on disc so i was able to trade it in ASAP cos it sucked balls

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Also the Amazon prime preorder deals

I mean yeah I'll digitally buy a game I play everyday but for something worth just a playthrough I'll pay $48 to Amazon and then sell it for $40 when I'm done 🤓

honestly i sometimes buy poo poo i am iffy about used from gamestop since they just let you return it no questions asked in a short time period

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i buy all games on disc. sell them after i beat them and buy them on digital sale later if i liked them enough to miss them and usually come out a few bucks ahead of even.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Real hurthling! posted:

i buy all games on disc. sell them after i beat them and buy them on digital sale later if i liked them enough to miss them and usually come out a few bucks ahead of even.

The smart way.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
with psn speeds its probably faster to buy a game and let it take a week to ship than to actually download most games

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

morallyobjected posted:

For me I generally prefer the certainty of a button press and the feel of it. The PS4 has it a whole lot worse than the original PS3 though, since it's such a small space and I feel like the auditory feedback is a lot more inconsistent. I never had an issue with my fat PS3's capacitive buttons until it yellow'd.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Never had a problem with capacitive buttons on any console, though regular buttons would probably do fine since they're cheaper.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I guess if you have a lot of physical games, the button can be worn out switching between titles. Cheeto dust and pizza grease could also lead to problems.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

dehry the ps4 might look hungry but it doesnt need cheetos or pizza to work right

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

BGrifter posted:

The whole uproar about the PS4 Pro not playing UHD Blu rays was really goofy too. It's 2016 c'mon people.

morallyobjected posted:

Goons are complete idiots about the silliest things, that's your answer. They work fine unless you're incapable of basic motor skills or approach every button at full strength and speed.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Kilometers Davis posted:

The whole uproar about the PS4 Pro not playing UHD Blu rays was really goofy too. It's 2016 c'mon people.

Goons are complete idiots about the silliest things, that's your answer. They work fine unless you're incapable of basic motor skills or approach every button at full strength and speed.

You're a goon.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

elf help book posted:

You're a goon.

Top 1% elite too.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
It's really annoying that guests accidentally turn on/off the ps4 all the time. I guess they're goons.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

My 9 month old can eject discs and turn the PS4 off and on by just poking in its general direction. (and I've moved my PS4 to as out of the way and hard to reach as possible with my furniture, she can still climb to it)

If it had actual buttons that require any weight behind the press she would not be able to do this.

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006
Does anyone know whether i'd have to pay the difference if I buy a PS+ card now but not apply it to my account until after the price increase?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Rhaegar posted:

Does anyone know whether i'd have to pay the difference if I buy a PS+ card now but not apply it to my account until after the price increase?

that sounds unlikely. psn cards are redeemable for time not dollar value

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

Rhaegar posted:

Chances are you are hanging onto it for a good PS+ month, but if you're not, they do stack. A lot of us have a sub well into 2018+.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Kilometers Davis posted:

If you can't appreciate the humor in the company that owns Bluray deciding it wasn't worth putting the newest Bluray thing in their newest console I dunno what to tell you

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
4k video is probably the strongest case for discs because streaming 4k looks like complete trash in comparison

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
All streaming video looks and sounds like trash compared to its comparable physical media. There's a huge quality difference between blu rays and streaming HD.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Dehry posted:

I guess if you have a lot of physical games, the button can be worn out switching between titles. Cheeto dust and pizza grease could also lead to problems.

Mountain Dew too

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

...! posted:

All streaming video looks and sounds like trash compared to its comparable physical media. There's a huge quality difference between blu rays and streaming HD.
I'll always treasure the brief shining moment between VHS and Netflix when you could actually watch a movie in your home and not feel like it was severely compromised. RIP movies.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Physical media will be around a long time for enthusiasts. Very, very expensive physical media.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

MysticalMachineGun posted:

If it had actual buttons that require any weight behind the press she would not be able to do this.

You are almost certainly completely wrong about this. At best if you exchanged it now you'd get like 2 weeks before she managed to do it.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

4k streaming : 4k UHD :: PS4 4k gaming : PC 4k gaming

Sure, the resolution is the same butt the picture quality is far, far from being the same.

Also, if you're touching your PS4 to turn it on or eject discs you're living your life wrong. Both are able to be done via remote.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

Physical media will be around a long time for enthusiasts. Very, very expensive physical media.

Games on vinyl is coming back, baby!

Captain Novolin posted:

with psn speeds its probably faster to buy a game and let it take a week to ship than to actually download most games

I gotta say this is the most disappointing thing for me right now. I have loving gigabit internet; at best PSN will give me something around 70 megabits/sec and often is capricious and will give far worse speeds, so installing games still requires some considerable advance planning. Meanwhile I downloaded Witcher 3 on Steam in 13 minutes flat.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

homeless snail posted:

I'll always treasure the brief shining moment between VHS and Netflix when you could actually watch a movie in your home and not feel like it was severely compromised. RIP movies.

You can still buy movies. I do it a lot

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

univbee posted:

Games on vinyl is coming back, baby!

Pfft, what a poser.

The real gamers appreciate the fast loading and pureness of analogue gaming. You just can't beat the quality and warmness of a tape.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
Holy moly, that's quite a deal on AC: Syndicate.

I just started playing it this week, enjoying it quite a bit, too. That's what I get for buying sale games before actually having the time to play them. At least I've since put an end to that habit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

zenintrude posted:

Also, if you're touching your PS4 to turn it on or eject discs you're living your life wrong. Both are able to be done via remote.
Why would I not push the eject button? I have to be over there to take the disc out of the slot anyway? :confused:

• Locked thread