Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
I just want everyone to take a minute and remember what a loving terrible map South Coast was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Hellsau posted:

I just want everyone to take a minute and remember what a loving terrible map South Coast was.

They killed South Coast?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Hellsau posted:

Worse than Fjords?

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
When are they removing Airfield? Currently the worst map now that South Coast is gone.

Also, bring back North West.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Cartoon posted:

Worse than Fjords?

Fjords was supposed to be removed in 9.12. It wasn't, even though the east spawn gets some utterly ludicrous bushes that the west doesn't, AND the east gets far better shots onto the enemy if the enemy pushes through south, which the west spawn doesn't get to take advantage of.

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

When are they removing Airfield? Currently the worst map now that South Coast is gone.

Also, bring back North West.

Airfield is fine if there's no artillery. It's kind of a slog, but if you can push some tanks around the north corner, or around the southern hill, it's fine. Artillery makes that map entirely based on whichever team's artillery actually prioritizes the correct targets and also gets lucky enough to hit.

Northwest was a terrible map, even after its redesign, due to the map itself just not being balanced - the southwest spawn can setup a TD to just murder anything pushing through the south, the northeast spawn gets to snipe everywhere else from the north cliff, and the middle of the map is total suicide.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Did they remove the armored car thing?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

RandomPauI posted:

Did they remove the armored car thing?
No you can still queue at least seven times and get stuck on the defence which is almost certain to lose. Fun times. :nyan:

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hellsau posted:

Airfield is fine if there's no artillery. It's kind of a slog, but if you can push some tanks around the north corner, or around the southern hill, it's fine. Artillery makes that map entirely based on whichever team's artillery actually prioritizes the correct targets and also gets lucky enough to hit.

Northwest was a terrible map, even after its redesign, due to the map itself just not being balanced - the southwest spawn can setup a TD to just murder anything pushing through the south, the northeast spawn gets to snipe everywhere else from the north cliff, and the middle of the map is total suicide.
My beef with Airfield is that it's difficult to play, that is, it requires a lot of skill to survive and contribute if you're not a heavy or artillery. The west (shoreline, ruined hill, valleys) is a giant suicide zone for bad players, and that leads to a lot of crushing defeats when your team plays it too aggressively. If both teams manage to not die while playing the early spotting game, then all the critical action takes place in one small area for brawling. The airfield itself is a giant waste of space that can be ignored for the most part. Call it balanced, but it's simply not a fun or interesting map to play in pub matches. I always groan when the Airfield loading screen comes up and I'm in a medium or TD because I know my contribution is going to be severely limited by the map design. There isn't any other map (alright maybe Pilsen, it's terrible right now) that prompts that reaction.

North West wasn't good but it had a great visual style and probably could have been fixed with another major redesign like they gave Swamp. I don't think I had played it much at high tiers before it had been taken out, though, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
Airfield's easy to play in theory (do not poke, ever, the team that pokes loses. I cannot do this because I cannot sit still for twenty seconds let alone the five minutes it takes one team to thoroughly poke themselves to death.) but it's just awful.

It's also asymmetrical; attacking is suicidal but as far as it's possible (and necessary in the late game) east spawn has a better time of it on both the north and south flanks. There's a rock on the west side of the map that provides some arty cover and full cover against sniper TDs when east decides to push the north and west has no equivalent if they try to push. They also have a more protected position in south to fight from, though south is largely useless because you cannot win from it if the other team controls the north.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Cartoon posted:

No you can still queue at least seven times and get stuck on the defence which is almost certain to lose. Fun times. :nyan:

For me it's like 50/50 no matter which side I'm on. v0v. Also I get an error message about already in a battle with it so I cant join the battle. Except I haven't played it today.

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001

Hellsau posted:

Fjords was supposed to be removed in 9.12. It wasn't, even though the east spawn gets some utterly ludicrous bushes that the west doesn't, AND the east gets far better shots onto the enemy if the enemy pushes through south, which the west spawn doesn't get to take advantage of.

West can go up to the middle above the tiny lake and shoot anyone from east going south point in the open though. Or have people actually learned not to do that by now?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

North West wasn't good but it had a great visual style and probably could have been fixed with another major redesign like they gave Swamp. I don't think I had played it much at high tiers before it had been taken out, though, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Northwest was given a large redesign. It didn't work because the map is fundamentally broken. I think I called for the Map Exhibition on Northwest where we made it to the finals and I think lost to OTTER because OTTER got to play north first, and therefore won the tiebreaker game. I recall both clans saying that this is a totally imbalanced map and totally inadequate for clan wars. In pub games, it was painful because unless you had a fast platoon that could win the north, you were doomed. Pubbies loved walking into that grinder in the south, which allowed TDs on the southwestern hill to kill anything that pushed through and there was literally nothing you could do outside of blindshoting with artillery.

Valle posted:

West can go up to the middle above the tiny lake and shoot anyone from east going south point in the open though. Or have people actually learned not to do that by now?

That only hurts the dumbest pubbies and you can at least try to let them know to go through city, but that's also just one more stupid imbalanced spot. Then again the west morons frequently just walk into the open on that big horizontal road and die horribly, which is basically the same thing.

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001

Hellsau posted:

That only hurts the dumbest pubbies and you can at least try to let them know to go through city, but that's also just one more stupid imbalanced spot. Then again the west morons frequently just walk into the open on that big horizontal road and die horribly, which is basically the same thing.

On console, if I start west and go there, I'll usually get to shoot multiple tanks. Probably mostly because a lot of PS4 players are still kinda new and dumb about maps. Of course, nobody ever follows me there, so I'm all alone, and then 3-4 tanks from the east push around the hill and kills the poo poo out of me because nobody west goes middle and the ones up north are too busy with north to realize there IS a middle. Console is a bit ridiculous.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

The community in this game is something else.

90% of the words uttered in the chat are the same five meaningless insults - Words that have been so thoroughly and mindlessly repeated by the troglodytes that play this game, that they've been reduced to utterly meaningless guttural noises entirely devoid of any meaning. These imbeciles repeat these same tired, washed out, and miserable words, without even an inkling of the meaning behind them - Words like "lemming", "camper", "noob", "moron", "idiot", "retard", usually combined with "team".

For instance, I had a guy scream loving CAMPER NOOB at me as I shot him in the back from his own spawn on Sand River - The fact that I was shooting him in the back didn't clue him in. This piece of poo poo hadn't the faintest idea what the gently caress the words he was typing meant - He just knew that "camper" is bad, and when you get angry, you call people bad things.

"Reroll" seems to be the latest insult which has been repeated so much that it's lost all meaning - A guy called me a "reroll" for daring to have slightly above average stats. I pointed out to him that I have a Type-59 and a KV-5, tanks that haven't been on sale in four years, so I can't possibly be a reroll. "so what" was his answer.

I should just turn off chat again.

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

A janitor cleans the bathroom

Muldoon

Geisladisk posted:

The community in this game is something else.

90% of the words uttered in the chat are the same five meaningless insults - Words that have been so thoroughly and mindlessly repeated by the troglodytes that play this game, that they've been reduced to utterly meaningless guttural noises entirely devoid of any meaning. These imbeciles repeat these same tired, washed out, and miserable words, without even an inkling of the meaning behind them - Words like "lemming", "camper", "noob", "moron", "idiot", "retard", usually combined with "team".

For instance, I had a guy scream loving CAMPER NOOB at me as I shot him in the back from his own spawn on Sand River - The fact that I was shooting him in the back didn't clue him in. This piece of poo poo hadn't the faintest idea what the gently caress the words he was typing meant - He just knew that "camper" is bad, and when you get angry, you call people bad things.

"Reroll" seems to be the latest insult which has been repeated so much that it's lost all meaning - A guy called me a "reroll" for daring to have slightly above average stats. I pointed out to him that I have a Type-59 and a KV-5, tanks that haven't been on sale in four years, so I can't possibly be a reroll. "so what" was his answer.

Debil mongo pizda mea cetnik rascal

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Geisladisk posted:

Turn off chat? Channel your inner troll. They aren't nearly invested enough until they pm you with a stat breakdown on why you are bad. Had a guy do this when I called him out for being a jerk in chat. He pointed out I have no damage done!!!!! Yep champ I'm a scout. That's how I baited you in front of our gun line in the first place. You'd think coming fourth in exp ~might~ have tipped him off.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Truck Stop Daddy posted:

U Is not of defedering of artiiiiii !!!! ! !noob juden !!!

edit :

Creamed Cormp fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Sep 20, 2016

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
In general, the simple side games are the best, like soccer and the racing one. The last thing you want to do with WoT players is make things more complex.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Q&A with Slava Makarov posted:

– Who the gently caress had the idea to disable chat?
S: Me. We’ll see. We might rollback after much criticism, but I don’t think it’s likely.
– Isn’t the chat disabling very European? The causes are always because of the people, not the instruments.
S: The discussions of each other’s mother is not a necessary functionality.
– How do you know about that? There are also hearty discussions.
S: We have chatlogs. Mothers are dominating.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I'd be surprised if the signal to noise ratio in the WoT chat is even 5%. That includes teamchat.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Surprised to see Slava isn't into dominating moms.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
It's TD week or something, right? I'm looking for ways to explain how most of my matches lately have had like 6-8 TD's on each side. It's kinda odd.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Dunno about other servers, but EU has the Grille 15 as top of the tree.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hellsau posted:

Northwest was given a large redesign. It didn't work because the map is fundamentally broken.
Well poo poo, this is what I get for being an on-and-off casual. The only change I remember being made to the map was the addition of a tiny bit of land near the water. I wasn't aware it got a complete overhaul at some point in the past.

Barry posted:

It's TD week or something, right? I'm looking for ways to explain how most of my matches lately have had like 6-8 TD's on each side. It's kinda odd.

The current On Track for NA is the T110E3.

Terrorist Fistbump fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Sep 20, 2016

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Truck Stop Daddy posted:

Goddamn it if people on the NA server started insulting each other by saying "rascal" I'd have a lot more fun.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
I've been enjoying this game a lot more since I decided to stop all research advancement and just play tanks I like.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
I've taken to using the 2 pounder on my Cruiser IV rather than the Bofors. It seems the clip always runs out right before the enemy tank goes down and six seconds can be a fatally long time to have to wait for the killing blow. Any opinions? The relative theoretical max DPM are pretty close. Also getting mastery on a Cruiser IV seems like it would be pretty hard, I carried a seven on seven and made 1452 exp it was still only a class 1 game.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

NotWearingPants posted:

I've been enjoying this game a lot more since I decided to stop all research advancement and just play tanks I like.

Me too. I hate this game enough on its best days that I can't be bothered to play tanks I don't want to play in order to complete missions or whatever.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Cartoon posted:

I've taken to using the 2 pounder on my Cruiser IV rather than the Bofors. It seems the clip always runs out right before the enemy tank goes down and six seconds can be a fatally long time to have to wait for the killing blow. Any opinions? The relative theoretical max DPM are pretty close. Also getting mastery on a Cruiser IV seems like it would be pretty hard, I carried a seven on seven and made 1452 exp it was still only a class 1 game.

The Bofors has better burst and DPM, and is the more "fun" option, but the 2-pdr is otherwise better. Either is viable, so you're not wrong, but just FYI not being able to clip out a full-health enemy with an autoloader/autocannon is actually a common thing. The fact that the WTF-100 could magdump anything including a Maus just meant it was OP, not that every other autoloader was UP.

By the same reasoning, the Covenanter's 2-pdr is a very viable choice over the Bofors.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Cartoon posted:

Would you rather kill all enemies under 200 HP in like a second, and wait ~6 seconds to kill enemies <400 HP, or would you like to kill 200 HP tanks in 8 seconds, and kill 400 HP tanks in nearly 20? The raw DPM for the Bofors is 1654, the raw DPM for the 2pdr is 1279. You're crazy for not using the Bofors, even if the gold round on the 2pdr is particularly bananas. If you're finding yourself confronting 250 HP tanks and being surprised they're still alive while you're loading, don't confront >200 HP tanks. You have a very good tank and gun, just start lobbing shots at them from safety and once they're down low enough, you can go for the kill.

Now, on the Cruiser 3, the 2pdr is a legitimate gun option compared to the Pom Pom, but again, you get to kill so many tanks for free that it is usually insane to not take the autoloader. Again, if you want the crazy good gold round (say, for a tournament fighting against higher tiers or at range) then the 2pdr is a legit option. The raw DPM is basically the same for the 2pdr and Pom Pom.

As for the ace, you basically need to get into a tier 5 match and shoot tier 5s. If you mag dump twice into a couple tier 5 mediums/TDs and murder them, you'll probably get it just from that.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
The Cruiser IV's burst isn't to kill full HP same tier tanks, it's to deal 100-200 damage in exchange for 40-60, or even 0. Burst and alpha are king and the Cruiser IV is only technically beaten at its tier by the 1C which sees things it cannot pen from any angle while the Bofors can still pen every t5 heavy tank frontally if they're not angled. It's absurd, even if you do need good pen rolls for the Excelsior. It is better than the Covenanter because it gets the same gun with much better matchmaking. Hell it's basically the only thing countering the IIJ in tournaments.

The Cruiser IV punches so far above its weight class that it's depressing; WG should have dealt with this years ago. The ace badges are so high because good players get monster games killing t5s in it. If you're willing to sling APCR when necessary it has roughly equivalent damage output to any t5 medium at close ranges.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Desuwa posted:

The Cruiser IV punches so far above its weight class that it's depressing; WG should have dealt with this years ago.

Wargaming intentionally want to punish their newer players because they think it's better to encourage new players to pay to advance up tiers rather than encouraging new players to actually want to play their game. How long was loving Province in the game? How long was Malinovka, a map based almost entirely around view range, available for tier 1 and 2 tanks? It's goddamn absurd. Lower tiers are incredibly unbalanced because they get the very minimal time-to-die of the high-tier TD meta from a few years ago while also having to deal with horrible maps and the lovely spotting mechanics and the laughable power differential between members of the same tier. How many Medium IIIs does it take to add up to a single Cruiser 4 in power?

Desuwa posted:

If you're willing to sling APCR when necessary it has roughly equivalent damage output to any t5 medium at close ranges.

There are so many tier five mediums that I'd be incredibly fearful of getting caught off guard in by a Cruiser 4. Like, some rear end in a top hat dumping 2 or 4 shots into your rear end while hulldown with that extreme gun depression, and if you whiff your shot on it you're eating 200 more damage? It's kind of gross. Even if you hit the shot, you're taking ~half their health off, but it's still only 100 damage and they're going to deal 300 to you in return. Even just that is a hell of a contribution for a tank two tiers below.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

CompeAnansi posted:

Me too. I hate this game enough on its best days that I can't be bothered to play tanks I don't want to play in order to complete missions or whatever.

Me three, I only play about six or seven tanks in all, and I recently sold my T54E1 to get an E2, 'cause Tier 9/10 matches are just a drag. I just play the Chaffee, Bulldog, M41 HMC, M4A3E2 (to slowly get to the Pershing eventually, I guess), T29, Tiger I, and the highest I'll go is the Rhym-Borsig because it's my favorite vehicle. Then I have the SU-100Y which I reluctantly play 'cause it's there and a few credits help when it's not in a terrible position. This game is enjoyable if I just "play tanks" and not think about grinding to the next thing.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

NotWearingPants posted:

I hope to get to that point some day but I'm always wondering "well maybe the next one is the tank I will love the most."

So far my absolute favorite tank is the KV-1 and I kind of just want to play that endlessly (which is nice because there's a ton of unlocks for it) but maybe my favorite tank is hiding somewhere in Tier 8 of a line I haven't even started on.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

The cruiser IV bofors is incredibly good and the only tier 3 tank I willingly play

Ideally they would make all tier 3 tanks like this so when they're thrown in a tier 5 game they can still contribute.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Barry posted:

I hope to get to that point some day but I'm always wondering "well maybe the next one is the tank I will love the most."

So far my absolute favorite tank is the KV-1 and I kind of just want to play that endlessly (which is nice because there's a ton of unlocks for it) but maybe my favorite tank is hiding somewhere in Tier 8 of a line I haven't even started on.

Yeah that makes sense. The difference is probably that I've played around 20k games (not proud of this) and I'm guessing you haven't yet.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

NotWearingPants posted:

Yeah that makes sense. The difference is probably that I've played around 20k games (not proud of this) and I'm guessing you haven't yet.

Nah, not even close. I think I'm right around 1k and will probably get to where you're at at some point.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Barry posted:

Nah, not even close. I think I'm right around 1k and will probably get to where you're at at some point.

I suggest you try out the T-34-85 if you want a taste of medium tanks.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

NotWearingPants posted:

I suggest you try out the T-34-85 if you want a taste of medium tanks.

That thing has been on my radar for sure.

I have the Skoda T-24 (which I like but I'm bad with, mostly because it's pretty stock with a weak crew), I'm close to the M4 Sherman (at first I really didn't like the M3 Lee but I have since figured it out more and enjoy it) and I have the Panzer IV aH (which I'm ok with but lose a ton).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Barry posted:

That thing has been on my radar for sure.

I have the Skoda T-24 (which I like but I'm bad with, mostly because it's pretty stock with a weak crew), I'm close to the M4 Sherman (at first I really didn't like the M3 Lee but I have since figured it out more and enjoy it) and I have the Panzer IV aH (which I'm ok with but lose a ton).

You probably shouldn't be enjoying the M3 Lee, but if you are it means you are somewhat comfortable with a turretless tank and may want to consider the German TD line. They are sort of like the M3 Lee only they aren't complete poo poo.

I like the M4 Sherman.