Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Skeleton of the SMT4:A thread is here.

Still needs additional info I think, but I'll improve it in a bit. Didn't want to keep it too long to start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Waffleman_ posted:

From what I'm hearing, the stats are significantly more balanced.

Luck build is the only build.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

MonsieurChoc posted:

Luck build is the only build.

This person knows what's up.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Hey what track from p5 was it that was just the Junes theme

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I have a few hours left in my SMTIV replay. Is it worth it to squeeze out four or five more hours to get one more completion bonus for SMTIVA? Or should I just jump right into that?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Unmature posted:

I have a few hours left in my SMTIV replay. Is it worth it to squeeze out four or five more hours to get one more completion bonus for SMTIVA? Or should I just jump right into that?

I feel like you're going to burn out if you play IVA right after IV. They're super similar.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

So, this is SEGA's chance for a comeback, by making Persona the best it's ever been and continuing to make it better and better until either people stop making fun of SEGA, or it stops hurting them.

Is it good enough? Please don't tell me anything else. Is it good enough?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Well, not really, since Persona 5 doesn't really have the Sega name on it. Sega's been pretty adamant about having Atlus operate independently, sometimes to its detriment re: European distro.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ErichZahn posted:

So, this is SEGA's chance for a comeback, by making Persona the best it's ever been and continuing to make it better and better until either people stop making fun of SEGA, or it stops hurting them.

I've only finished the third dungeon (I gotta take a break for work and SMTIV:A) but so far it's absolutely top-notch and I figure the worst thing that it can end up with is a story that doesn't have a satisfying ending, the actual gameplay is great.

Like unless it completely shits the bed in the later part of the game it's a good Persona game and stylish as gently caress. It's not going to blow your mind or redefine JRPGs as you know it anything it's just solid, well-made and fun to play.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

SEGA (of Japan) is actually supposedly doing fairly well? Or at lest that's what I've heard second hand.

Also, SEGA really doesn't have anything to do with any Atlus title, as far as I know.

Oh, beaten, kinda.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The game's gameplay is great. Managing day to day cooping and dungeon crawling is like the best it's ever been and it feels so fun to engage in that system. From what I gather of the story it's not really setting the world on fire, especially since the second culprit I felt was kinda of a step down from the first in a lot of ways, but I'm still enjoying the game a lot and looking forward to see how end game turns out. I'm only like in the process of doing requests in Mementos right now though and haven't gotten properly introduced to the third target yet.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I can't quite put my finger on it, but SMTIV:A just feels more SMT than IV did to me. I loved IV, but the presentation and the intro just felt like classic MegaTen.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
too many spoilers! I'm offended.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Unmature posted:

I can't quite put my finger on it, but SMTIV:A just feels more SMT than IV did to me. I loved IV, but the presentation and the intro just felt like classic MegaTen.

SMTIV opens with medieval fantasy that slowly leads into the more traditional Megaten-y apocalyptic Tokyo. Even so, through all of that you're clearly the outsiders in this setting.

SMTIVA opens with bog-standard Megaten: you live in Tokyo, the city has been nuked, get out there and hunt demons for plot reasons. Additionally, characters are fairly expendable in the grand scheme of things. It's great! Not as iconic as the original SMT, but it hews closer to that flavor and I'm incredibly happy with it.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
They are selling a 12800 yen version of Persona 5 on PSN :wtc:

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Baal posted:

PCB is very good though and provided Valerie Arem doesn't loving botch this like she has every non Arena based spinoff and half of ZTD then it'll be fine. I would honestly expect a few VAs and there's some I could list for certain chars right now, but that list is most likely going to end up 80% incorrect because most ADR Directord and Dub Producers do not seem to think the way I do which is for the best most likely.

IIRC, Persona series is a union gig, so you're not likely to get neophyte actors in these roles at least. (Someone who has produced a reel, gotten an agent, and become a union member has to at least have some of their poo poo together.)

Not sure with PCB, it likely comes down to the direction and method. I think the line-by-line dubbing process in most anime makes it difficult to give a consistent performance since you have to worry about the timing/pacing at the moment of the line, rather than the overall performance you can do in pre-lay stuff. Dubbing removes a lot of acting tools.

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011

IceBorg posted:

Here's the complete version

From what I have been told you can romance every female s.link you get besides two of then.

hahaha the loving cat is there. does that mean what i think it means?

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Neeksy posted:

IIRC, Persona series is a union gig, so you're not likely to get neophyte actors in these roles at least. (Someone who has produced a reel, gotten an agent, and become a union member has to at least have some of their poo poo together.)

Not sure with PCB, it likely comes down to the direction and method. I think the line-by-line dubbing process in most anime makes it difficult to give a consistent performance since you have to worry about the timing/pacing at the moment of the line, rather than the overall performance you can do in pre-lay stuff. Dubbing removes a lot of acting tools.

I don't think Atlus typically credits the English voice casts of their games so they don't have to pay union rates, but maybe that's changed since 4 came out. They were bought by Sega in the time since, after all.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

The Unholy Ghost posted:

To be fair, the cat goes everywhere with him.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

ErichZahn posted:

All the complaints that I've seen tend to be people expecting the game to evolve into some sort of monolithic ideal of what "The best video game is" i.e. "Why isn't all the dialog voiced" and "why are there load times" and "why isn't the overworld a single continuous map"

Here's my complaint: it's stupid that there are so many activities for raising your HP and SP a teeny tiny insignificant bit that do not effect your charisma parameters. Why even bother!? DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH I WAS LOOKING FORWARD TO SMACKING THAT WING CHUNG DUMMY!?! AND INSTEAD I HAVE TO EAT A GIANT HAMBURGER FOR THE 20TH TIME!?!?

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

The Unholy Ghost posted:

Given that Morgana is a male cat if I recall correctly? Probably not. More likely there simply to watch with interest as Mr. Protagonist gets his due rewards for such fascinating life choices.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The Unholy Ghost posted:

That's where the cat lives.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

IceBorg posted:

Here's the complete version

From what I have been told you can romance every female s.link you get besides two of then.

:allears:

I'm glad they kept that particular element in.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

The Unholy Ghost posted:

okay, so, the cat is named Morganna, is the cat female? If so, is the cat an S-Link? If the cat is an S-Link, does that mean that all of the female S-Links are in that picture?

If so, holy poo poo holy poo poo does that mean there's a stealthy older trans gal S-Link????????

I think that together with miss gently caress you, my persona is la maupin this trumps P2's queer representation threshold.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

ErichZahn posted:

okay, so, the cat is named Morganna, is the cat female? If so, is the cat an S-Link? If the cat is an S-Link, does that mean that all of the female S-Links are in that picture?

If so, holy poo poo holy poo poo does that mean there's a stealthy older trans gal S-Link????????

I think that together with miss gently caress you, my persona is la maupin this trumps P2's queer representation threshold.

Not all of the female s links but most of them. And I don't want to disappoint you but I haven't heard anything about trans representation in the game. Who were you referring to in the picture?

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
Looks like it's a plush toy to me.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Neeksy posted:

The only Union gig Atlus has ever done is Catherine. I don't even know what you're talking about with this statement since what I said was Atlus is just gonna keep using the same people for this process that they've been using so it'll most likely be good unless someone fucks up hard in he directing aspect.

The Unholy Ghost posted:

No

Unmature
May 9, 2008
15 minutes in and the music in Apocalypse is amazing. I wish it came with a soundtrack like IV.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Is he under the assumption that non union voice actors don't have demo reels and agents

edit:

quote:

Persona 5 sold 264,793 units on PlayStation 4 and 72,974 on PlayStation 3 for a total of 337,767 copies

Man, I hope Sega is hoping the digital sales make up for that.

Tae fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Sep 21, 2016

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I doubt they think the series is dead if it doesn't meet their hoped sales figures. The fact it's sold that much already is pretty impressive because it's already outdone every game prior to itself.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Baal posted:

I doubt they think the series is dead if it doesn't meet their hoped sales figures. The fact it's sold that much already is pretty impressive because it's already outdone every game prior to itself.

Yeah, the numbers are basically the same as P3 and P4 did combined on their launch week

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Also PS4 sales are up by 90K from last week! Mostly cause they were at 500 last week and the Slim just came out but seeing the hype over there I can't imagine this isn't pushing units.

Unmature posted:

15 minutes in and the music in Apocalypse is amazing. I wish it came with a soundtrack like IV.
They got the OST down pat, it really brought back memories of SMT 1 and 2 for me.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Tae posted:

Is he under the assumption that non union voice actors don't have demo reels and agents

Nah I mean that someone who has that and also is able to get into the union (paying dues, etc.) is likely far more established/experienced than someone who is just starting out and got the first steps going.

I must have heard wrong about the P5 casting being union. I wonder, why Catherine was while others aren't?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Idk the entire story behind Catherine's voice acting process, but I do know that PCB was still doing the voice acting at the time and that Valerie Arem was not the ADR director unlike every other game handled by the Persona team. Maybe Persona 5 might be doing union, but I highly doubt it especially if Arem ends up doing the ADR for it again like she did literally every other game or her husband Keith who also is one of the big ADR directors for PCB and did P2 EP, P3, and P4's dubs.

EDIT: Wait nevermind, she was the director for Catherine's dub. Yeah, it's safe to say she'll be directing this game's too.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Sep 21, 2016

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Unmature posted:

I don't think they ever released a soundtrack outside of the pre-order cd.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Neeksy posted:

Nah I mean that someone who has that and also is able to get into the union (paying dues, etc.) is likely far more established/experienced than someone who is just starting out and got the first steps going.

The talent gap between a top union VA and non-union VA isn't big. The quality is going to come from the voice director keeping everything in check and consistent at the level Persona 5 will require with their time and budget.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

HGH posted:

They got the OST down pat, it really brought back memories of SMT 1 and 2 for me.

Yeah the OST for IV:A is really good. Both final boss battle tracks stood out to me in particular. The second one is IMO one of the best boss battle themes I've ever heard.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Baal posted:

It already outdid Persona 1's 400 000 sales record?

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

MonsieurChoc posted:

It already outdid Persona 1's 400 000 sales record?

HGH posted:

Also PS4 sales are up by 90K from last week! Mostly cause they were at 500 last week

sega is speculating 500k sales but we won't know solid numbers for a few days i think, but it's a pretty good guess to assume that its outsold p1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Tired Moritz posted:

I don't think they ever released a soundtrack outside of the pre-order cd.

I didn't preorder it and my copy came with one.