Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

A White Guy posted:

So, to get this thread off fast food chat, Kamala Harris vs Loretta Sanchez? Both of them strike me as grey sunken cunts, but who's more cuntier? Inform me, fat goons.

mmm yes that's a good way of referring to people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i will vote for every single gun restriction until they repeal the second amendment

It's refreshing that people are admitting that they're just voting out of spite rather than acting on any sort of reasonable purpose.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Instant Sunrise posted:

Kamala Harris is actually pretty decent and Loretta Sanchez has said/done some really loving racist poo poo.

kamala harris probably intentionally biases the naming of ballot initiatives and loretta sanchez likes to imitate native american stereotypes at public meetings so much that you can see it on youtube

guess which one republicans prefer

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

kamala harris probably intentionally biases the naming of ballot initiatives and loretta sanchez likes to imitate native american stereotypes at public meetings so much that you can see it on youtube

guess which one republicans prefer

Harris also had that weird extrajudicial cop-cult thing happening on her watch

i mean you should still probably vote for her, its just something i feel obligated to bring up because what the heck

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Dead Reckoning posted:

It's refreshing that people are admitting that they're just voting out of spite rather than acting on any sort of reasonable purpose.

It's really my only issue that I feel like this. We need to treat gun owners the same way we treat smokers.

You put any proposition in front of me that makes gun ownership a tiny bit more inconvenient and I will vote for it every time.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

paranoid randroid posted:

Harris also had that weird extrajudicial cop-cult thing happening on her watch

i mean you should still probably vote for her, its just something i feel obligated to bring up because what the heck

Googling this and it's pretty great: http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-masonic-police-20150702-story.html

quote:

The trio accused of running a so-called Masonic police department created the agency in an attempt to improve relations between African Americans and law enforcement, said a lawyer for one of the three defendants.

Attorney Gary Casselman said that the trio believed they were doing things aboveboard and had filed paperwork to carry weapons, applied for the type of vehicle license plates used by government agencies and sent letters introducing themselves to police departments.

"It was supposed to be somewhere where people who didn't trust the regular police could go and make their reports of misconduct known and then these folks, the Masonics, would take it to recognized police," Casselman said. "They would be a go-between."

Love the picture in the article, too:

Masons are some nutty folk.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Panfilo posted:

I enjoy animal style fries but have no illusions that I'm eating a slurry of thousand island dressing, American cheese, grilled onions and the mashed potato remnants of their soggy French fries.

I really quite miss living in a state where every bar with food had at least half-decent poutine.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

In-n-out fries aren't chemical company creations. As such, they won't keep. Not even for as long as it takes to eat your burger. Eat them first and they're delicious. Take them to-go and they wilt into nothingness.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

A White Guy posted:

So, to get this thread off fast food chat, Kamala Harris vs Loretta Sanchez? Both of them strike me as grey sunken cunts, but who's more cuntier? Inform me, fat goons.

Harris is establishment and probably more than a little corrupt but she's a California DemocratTM and good luck finding one who isn't. Sanchez is the same but also hilariously and openly racist.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Sanchez is literally a Blue Dog Democrat. And not in the "any Democrat I disagree with is a Blue Dog" sense; she was actually a member of the now-defunct caucus.

Here's their dumb logo:

Edit: Apparently not defunct. They still boast a whopping 14 members after the Tea Party wave crushed them.

Wicked Them Beats fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Sep 21, 2016

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Dead Reckoning posted:

There's no such thing as a reasonable gun control bill to the gun people, so I may as well go in for the unreasonable ones.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Ron Jeremy posted:

In-n-out fries aren't chemical company creations. As such, they won't keep. Not even for as long as it takes to eat your burger. Eat them first and they're delicious. Take them to-go and they wilt into nothingness.

Order them well done and they're 5x better.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Aerox posted:

Order them well done and they're 5x better.

That's the way my wife likes em. I prefer the normal doneness.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Litany Unheard posted:

Sanchez is literally a Blue Dog Democrat. And not in the "any Democrat I disagree with is a Blue Dog" sense; she was actually a member of the now-defunct caucus.

Here's their dumb logo:

Edit: Apparently not defunct. They still boast a whopping 14 members after the Tea Party wave crushed them.

even their logo is shook

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

StandardVC10 posted:

There's no such thing as a reasonable gun control bill to the gun people, so I may as well go in for the unreasonable ones.

what about the ones governor-saint reagan enacted

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

NAT-T Ice posted:

I really quite miss living in a state where every bar with food had at least half-decent poutine.

Wouldn't that be a province?

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Progressive JPEG posted:

Wouldn't that be a province?

Wisconsin and Minnesota have it too.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

StandardVC10 posted:

This argument, aside from being intellectually bankrupt, is especially hilarious because everything that might be informally called "reasonable" gun control has already been law in California for a decade+, yet it didn't stop us from having an Islamic terrorist mass shooting last year and hasn't had any effect on our violent crime rate. You're more or less admitting at this point that you're passing bills for the sole purpose of loving gun owners for having the temerity to exist in a reality where your preferred policy solutions don't actually solve problems, despite no one being able to articulate even the thinnest fig leaf justification for how they will improve public safety. Seriously, which do you want to argue with a straight face, that people supplying illegal guns to felons will draw the line at also supplying illegal ammo, or that someone who has plotted out a lone wolf mass casualty attack while building homemade IEDs is going to be deterred by having to drive a few hours to get ammo?

I mean, if you want to go with legislating on the basis of "gently caress those people I don't like", that's a thing you can do, but you can't really turn around afterwards and get mad about mandatory minimums or enslaving death row inmates, since it's the exact same logic.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I agree, gun control doesn't work. Repeal the 2nd already.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Dead Reckoning posted:

This argument, aside from being intellectually bankrupt, is especially hilarious because everything that might be informally called "reasonable" gun control has already been law in California for a decade+, yet it didn't stop us from having an Islamic terrorist mass shooting last year and hasn't had any effect on our violent crime rate. You're more or less admitting at this point that you're passing bills for the sole purpose of loving gun owners for having the temerity to exist in a reality where your preferred policy solutions don't actually solve problems, despite no one being able to articulate even the thinnest fig leaf justification for how they will improve public safety. Seriously, which do you want to argue with a straight face, that people supplying illegal guns to felons will draw the line at also supplying illegal ammo, or that someone who has plotted out a lone wolf mass casualty attack while building homemade IEDs is going to be deterred by having to drive a few hours to get ammo?

I mean, if you want to go with legislating on the basis of "gently caress those people I don't like", that's a thing you can do, but you can't really turn around afterwards and get mad about mandatory minimums or enslaving death row inmates, since it's the exact same logic.

Nice Gish Gallop

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Dead Reckoning posted:

You're more or less admitting at this point that you're passing bills for the sole purpose of loving gun owners for having the temerity to exist

excellent point

outlawing gun ownership, mandatory prison sentences, and the death row does indeed look like some sound logic tho sign me the hell up

H.P. Hovercraft fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Sep 21, 2016

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

Nice Gish Gallop
I always wondered what you would do when you encountered an argument that you disagreed with, but couldn't plausibly call racist.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

excellent point
Remember, kids, it's OK when our side does it... and low effort copy paste trolling is the best way to avoid addressing any point you can't refute logically.

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

excellent point

outlawing gun ownership, mandatory prison sentences, and the death row does indeed look like some sound logic tho sign me the hell up

Raise taxes to fund gun registration and subsequent confiscation of unregistered guns and incarceration of their former possessors.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Dead Reckoning posted:

I always wondered what you would do when you encountered an argument that you disagreed with, but couldn't plausibly call racist.
Remember, kids, it's OK when our side does it... and low effort copy paste trolling is the best way to avoid addressing any point you can't refute logically.

Your premise was "well golly jeemaking murder illegal doesn't work because murders still happen" and "you must hate gun owners if I disagree with you" so yeah this time you didn't say something racist, just dumb.

Also lol at the idea I can only call people racist, way to ignore sexism, xenophobia, homophobia and other forms of bigotry.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

NAT-T Ice posted:

Wisconsin and Minnesota have it too.

Not really. We have all sorts of delicious horrors of fried cheese products but almost never on fries with gravy.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Dead Reckoning posted:

walk me thru the logic that fits for both outlawing guns and supporting death row enslavement and also mandatory minimum sentencing

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
does it have something to do w/ prohibition? b/c once weed is legal you won't be able to commit crimes like robbing banks w/ it, unlike a gun

Bueno Papi
May 10, 2009

FCKGW posted:

I agree, gun control doesn't work. Repeal the 2nd already.

I wouldn't let people like Dead Reckoning completely sour your view of all gun owners. Sadly, the political space around gun control has been all but taken up by the rabid anti-regulation types. Ironically, that fervor is what will eventually kill firearms as a civilian hobby. I try to impress this idea on to the gun hobbyists I know but most are of the "any regulation is tyranny" ilk.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Bueno Papi posted:

I wouldn't let people like Dead Reckoning completely sour your view of all gun owners. Sadly, the political space around gun control has been all but taken up by the rabid anti-regulation types. Ironically, that fervor is what will eventually kill firearms as a civilian hobby. I try to impress this idea on to the gun hobbyists I know but most are of the "any regulation is tyranny" ilk.

i tend to see gun ownership advocates in the same way as bicycle advocates

i own a bike, and ride it a lot, and wear a helmet and use proper lighting and encourage others to do so b/c it's important to share the road in a safe a respectful way

i also design roads for a living and push to implement bike lanes and bike routes and make the facilities i can impact as bike friendly as possible (b/c i didn't go to school to build HighwayLand), especially w/ my bosses who make the "big" decisions w/ clients, and my firm has received good amounts of support from the bicycle advocacy movements that are local from the work that we've done

bicycle advocates themselves are the worst, most self-defeating people i've ever had to interact w/ on a professional level, esp since i'm sympathetic to their needs and push for nigh-ridiculous things like cutting vehicular travel lanes in favor of separated bike paths and right-of-way buys to accommodate safer shared routes. but it's never enough - i'm a young guy who didn't own a car for years in favor of biking everywhere and even i find myself distancing myself from these nutbars who come to public meetings and argue for the elimination of personal cars entirely

i'm sure there are bicycle advocates who aren't lunatics and can appreciate it when a city or county makes a concerted effort to expand their bike lane networks, but these aren't the people making noise about it

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

Your premise was "well golly jeemaking murder illegal doesn't work because murders still happen" and "you must hate gun owners if I disagree with you" so yeah this time you didn't say something racist, just dumb.
"Guys, prohibition went super well with booze, and is going swimmingly with drugs, so I'm just certain that prohibiting guns is a great idea." Was your whole point seriously that there is no point in looking at the effectiveness of a law, and that you are incapable of distinguishing between punishing someone for causing harm and prior restraint on harmless behavior?

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

walk me thru the logic that fits for both outlawing guns and supporting death row enslavement and also mandatory minimum sentencing
"It's OK to vote for laws that don't actually serve any legitimate public policy goal and only exist to gently caress with people I dislike."

Bueno Papi posted:

Let me ask you a question then: how much gun control is enough for you? What does your desired end game look like?
Also, what societal problem do you think gun control solves?

E: It's also pretty telling that you assumed that I'm some sort of zealot who thinks that there should be no regulation of guns at all because I'm opposed to further expanding current regulations.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Sep 21, 2016

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Dead Reckoning posted:

"It's OK to vote for laws that don't actually serve any legitimate public policy goal and only exist to gently caress with people I dislike."

wait so do you think that outlawing guns and outlawing minimum sentencing and outlawing enslaving death row inmates all don't serve any legitimate public policy goals?

or did you get ahead of yourself here

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Dead Reckoning posted:

"Guys, prohibition went super well with booze, and is going swimmingly with drugs, so I'm just certain that prohibiting guns is a great idea." Was your whole point seriously that there is no point in looking at the effectiveness of a law, and that you are incapable of distinguishing between punishing someone for causing harm and prior restraint on harmless behavior?

Let me ask you a question then: how much gun control is enough for you? What does your desired end game look like?
Also, what societal problem do you think gun control solves?

Herm, either you can't understand that gun sales and use restrictions aren't the same as banning all guns or you're not really looking to argue in good faith, I wonder which it is....

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

wait so do you think that outlawing guns and outlawing minimum sentencing and outlawing enslaving death row inmates all don't serve any legitimate public policy goals?

No, I think that neither strict gun control nor mandatory minimums nor enslaving death row inmates serve any legitimate public policy goal.

Trabisnikof posted:

Herm, either you can't understand that gun sales and use restrictions aren't the same as banning all guns or you're not really looking to argue in good faith, I wonder which it is....
You sure are jumping around between arguments a lot for someone who looks down on gish galloping.
You still haven't answered the original question: do you think it matters whether or not a law successfully addresses a legitimate public policy goal?

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Sep 21, 2016

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Trabisnikof posted:

well idk conflating alcohol and firearms seems like it makes sense i mean they're controlled by the same federal bureau

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Dead Reckoning posted:

No, I think that neither strict gun control nor mandatory minimums nor enslaving death row inmates serve any legitimate public policy goal.

well that's funny b/c by your earlier logic that laws which exist sheerly for the sake of spite or "loving w/ people" should not exist, i'd place private gun ownership squarely into that category since it serves no legitimate public policy goal whatsoever

so you're right it should be eliminated entirely

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

well that's funny b/c by your earlier logic that laws which exist sheerly for the sake of spite or "loving w/ people" should not exist, i'd place private gun ownership squarely into that category since it serves no legitimate public policy goal whatsoever

so you're right it should be eliminated entirely
Yeah, that's not how public policy or the burden of proof works, unless you think we should start from the default position that people have no rights and shouldn't be allowed to do anything unless they can justify how it benefits the greater good. I'm honestly not sure if you're playing dumb at this point.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Dead Reckoning posted:

You still haven't answered the original question: do you think it matters whether or not a law successfully addresses a legitimate public policy goal?

Keeping people who have domestic violence convictions from having guns is a legitimate public policy goal.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Keep at it goons, surely this will be the thread that resolves the gun debate.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Humid-rear end Inland Empire weather can gently caress right off!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

So we made it through the summer without blackouts in Southern California due to natural gas shortages due to Aliso Canyon. But SoCal Edison is still concerned enough to have ordered 20-80MW of battery storage from Tesla.