Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Glazius posted:

If this chapter ends with the revelation that Flonne could never actually detect angels at all and just wanted to feel important, I will be very cross.

That would be the absolute best way they could end it. I'd love that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

Is...is this Flonne's idea of emotional blackmail?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Feinne posted:

Love power…is…the power of love…

the reading of the line was amazing

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
And here I was thinking about the Producers, and that guy they get to play hitler.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

the reading of the line was amazing

Yeah Sandy Fox really knocks all this out of the park.

We'll finish the chapter sometime early next week, I might be too busy to record until Saturday night/Sunday.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Shooting for an update tomorrow, I've recorded but still need to work on videos. We'll end the chapter and have a really, really rough showdown with someone who's taking our third battle with them much more seriously.

I've also switched Pure Flonne's color scheme around because why not.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Thirty-Nine: Return of the Evilest Warrior

Last time we continued our search for the missing angels. Today, we have another showdown with a recurring enemy and the end of the chapter ahead of us.

First, though, we’ve got a plotless map.

Video- Drift of Evil Intent

Watch

This is a really cool and also mean map that will take a bit of explanation.

So there are six Scarecrows on the map with the Evility that reverses the effect of status ailments on them, a Succubus with the + Stats/male character Evility, and New King Krichevskoy again. There are also six Oozes with the Evility that causes Deprave on targets that attack them and also one that forces enemies to counter them. What will happen on enemy turn one is that they’ll attack the Scarecrows, get countered, and die. This will in turn afflict all the Scarecrows with Deprave, which is a 30% stat buff for them. It should also be noted all the (other) enemies are male, so the Succubus is at a rather large stat advantage too. If you can get any of the Scarecrows or Oozes on the first turn that’ll help reduce the enemy power a bit, and you can always use Espoir to cure them if things are feeling rough. New King Krichevskoy is also a great source of damage on the enemy, since you can throw him for thousands of points of explosion goodness.

Moving on.

Video- Netherworld Maw

Watch

Look who it is.

That’s what I was gonna ask! What the hell are you doing here?
Look, Laharl! There’s an angel on the ground!
Are you okay!? What happened!?
What are we going to do…!? She’s unconscious…!
Huh? We’ve met her before! Remember? When the gate to Celestia was closed!
Back away from that angel!
drat you…! What orders were you given this time?
To recover angels. I was told to defeat anyone who gets in my way.
Who ordered you to do that!?
I was not ordered to tell anyone.
Here we go again…
Barbara, please. This angel is really weak. We shouldn’t move her!
Is that an order?

The answer really was yes here Flonne. She probably would have totally let you take her.

Pleading…!?
Yes, please! If it’s not your will to take this angel back, then please let her go! Please!
My will…? Are you trying to mess with my mind again…!?
Are you mocking me for the way I faithfully follow orders…!?
I won’t let you…! I will defeat you once and for all, and prove to you that I am correct!
Jeez, this idiot never learns… I guess I’ll just have to teach you until you get it.
You, who can only follow orders, will never be able to defeat me!

There are only four enemies on the map. A Healer, a Fighter, a Witch, and Barbara herself. So yeah Barbara has gained something that suddenly makes her much, much more threatening.

That second Evility is a normal Armor Knight one that makes her count as Defending whenever she’s not attacked from the back. So yeah if you’re not attacking her from behind she gets the normal Defend bonus, +50% Defense Power, AND if you’re within the two tile range of her spear you ALSO take a +50% power counter. Her RES is much lower than her DEF and you can guarantee you’re outside her counter range with such so I’d suggest going heavy on magic with this offense. Don’t line people up, her signature move hits really hard. There’s not really much to say about the map, though, it’s just a really nasty power check.

Also Laharl is seriously way better at this Overlord thing than anyone ever gives him credit for.

Video- Chapter 9 Outro

Watch

What do you want to do?
Me…?
No one else knows what you want to do. So what is it that you want to do?
I…
I don’t know… What should I do…?
You’re hopeless.
In that case, until you find an answer, serve me.
You want to make Barbara your vassal!?
That’s an order. You can’t disobey orders, right?
…True.
I got it…! I’ll become your vassal!
And through that, I will find out what I want to do!
Until then, as my master, give me any order you want!
Fine! For your first order, you will call me Master Overlord from now on!
As you command, Master Overlord!
Good… Hmhmhm… Haaahahahaha!
System Message: Barbara joined your party!

We get Barbara now. She doesn’t keep the bonus Evility, but who cares? She’s going to travel with the vanguard and bodyguard them from now on, because she’s amazing.

He gave Barbara a reason to think for herself. I think that’s a sign of Laharl’s kindness!
Sometimes I can’t tell if he’s tough or if he’s kind…
Well, King Krichevskoy was like that, too. So I guess it’s a good thing…
Huh? What was that about Daddy?
Nothing!
Now, tell me everything you know! Who ordered you to gather the angels? And what is that person planning?
I shall tell you…
That I know nothing about the plan, nor do I know the person’s name!
You’re sooo useless!
I guess we’ll just have to heal that angel and ask her.
Oh yeah! We still need to help her!
I do know where I was supposed to bring the angels. Deep inside this cave!
So all the missing angels should be…
As well as the criminal mastermind…
We’re closing in on the truth…! I don’t know who you are, but we’re coming for you.
I, the Overlord, will defeat you with my very own hands!

And as in the first game, we have a preview that’s actually for this game before the final chapter.

Huh!? What are you saying, Etna!?
Flonne…I have to say I liked you better as a Fallen Angel, but good luck turning back into an angel. I’m rooting for you.
S-Stop it, Etna. You’re making it sound like this is good-bye…
And Prince…we’ve been through so much together, but…I was happy to be your vassal.
What…? You’re…!?
There’s so much more I want to say, but…I don’t have any more time… This is it.

Etnaaaaaa!!!
Prince, aren’t you gonna worry about me, too!?
Are you gonna die because it’s the last episode or something?
Wow, they’re really taking this seriously!

Ominous.

Next Time, Disgaea D2: The Eternal Netherworld. Absolute Death comes for us all.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, the last episode is supposed to be the serious one.

Or is this not the last episode and it's a fakeout teaser? So hard to tell with Etna.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Glazius posted:

Well, the last episode is supposed to be the serious one.

Or is this not the last episode and it's a fakeout teaser? So hard to tell with Etna.
They already pulled that trick in Disgaea 4. Twice.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

We are in fact approaching the last episode, and the lead-in will fill in a lot of blanks. I cut off a few seconds on accident when recording the first time so I'm probably going to re-record the intro tonight and update in the next couple days.

Moving forward, we've got like 4-5 updates of main game left. At that point we'll have several updates of DLC character maps, since they're the natural first targets to collect. Then we'll transition into the postgame.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Sorry to hear that Etna died.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Forty: The Eternal Netherworld

Last time we had a showdown with Barbara. Now it’s time to learn who’s behind all this.

Video- “Final Chapter Intro”

Watch

Just make sure you let the Seraph know it was I, the Overlord of the Netherworld, who saved you from dying.
Yeah, no one cares. Look, first things first, we need to ask her what happened.
Did you come here for an investigation? Were you kidnapped by someone…?
Yes…! How did you know…!?
The Seraph asked us to look for the missing angels…
I see…
When I reached the gate to Celestia, I lost consciousness, and the next thing I knew, I was in the cave.
I was being held with a lot of other angels who were kidnapped…
In order to inject the Netherworld with angel power.
But, keeping that up can be harmful to our health, which is why I escaped and tried to tell the Archangel—
Wait! Injecting angel power into the Netherworld!? Why would anyone do that…!? To cover the Netherworld with Yuie flowers!?

Here’s our first bomb.

The Netherworld is collapsing…!? Why!?
It’s due to the loss of magic power in the Netherworld. We’ve been injecting our angel powers to try to make up for it.
Does that mean that the Netherworld is being maintained by the powers of the kidnapped angels…?
That’s probably why the Yuie flowers are blooming everywhere…
I guess that also explains what happened inside Grosso’s magical repelling wall, but…
What!? The Netherworld is collapsing!? Why is it losing magic power!?
Because a demon is absorbing the magic from the Netherworld.
What…!? How is that even possible…!?
I’m sorry… I don’t know…
What I don’t understand is the demon who made us inject our powers was the same demon that—
Who is it!? What are they after!?

And of course…

There’s really only one person it could be at this point.

There is yet more for us to learn.

That, and that you’re sucking up all the magic in the Netherworld!
Please, Xenolith! Stop now!
Sorry, but I can’t do that.
…Hmph, you make me laugh.
Agul Eviland is covered with Yuie flowers now. If you didn’t carry out your foolish plan, this never would’ve happened!
…Precisely, but I can’t stop it.
Why not…?
I have an artifact inside my body that absorbs magic power.
I can’t turn it off or remove it, and it keeps absorbing more and more magic.
Are you talking about the Artifact of Absolute Death!? They say it sucks all the magic from its bearer, eventually killing them…
What!? But Xenolith is still alive!
When I found it, I had accepted my fate, but I was able to escape death by combining with it.
Why did you even need that artifact!? You knew it would kill you, right!?

One thing we won’t be learning is why he’s done this crazy bastard thing.

…So that’s what you think, too, huh?
If not, then destroy the artifact and stop all of this now. Your Overlord commands it.
I can’t do that. I would lose all of the magic I’ve absorbed up till now.
I wouldn’t even give it up to save my life.
I see…
Then I’ll destroy you along with it! Take this!
Ugh…! Grah!
I’m sorry, but with only that much magic power, you have no hope of defeating me.
Big Brother!!!
Relax. I will prevent the Netherworld from collapsing with angel power. It won’t be long now…
If you get in my way, I won’t go easy on you. You’re better off steering clear of me.
Laharl, are you okay!?
Dammit…! Relax!? How dare he tell me to do that…!
After him!

If there was one way to make sure this fight got picked it was telling him to relax, bad play Xenolith.

Next Time, Disgaea D2: Chasing Xenolith.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

He didn't just go and do this because he can't live without Etna as his sister or something like that right? Cause that's not really any dumber than trying to beat Laharl at being Overlord.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

He didn't just go and do this because he can't live without Etna as his sister or something like that right? Cause that's not really any dumber than trying to beat Laharl at being Overlord.

I won't say why he's doing it but I will say that's NOT why.

I owe a bunch of talk about classes, I'll try and catch a bunch of those up in the next few days. Obviously hope to record in the next couple and start the chapter proper early next week.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So the Netherworld really is some cheap off-brand knockoff of Heaven, huh?

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Glazius posted:

They're both the same sort of place really, just with different sorts of magic powering them.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Glazius posted:

Celestia is powered by God. The Netherworld being drained of power should have been crippling Laharl beyond making it difficult for him to move around. Assuming he is in control of it. It would have turned into a graveyard like it did in Makai Kingdom. Probably another retcon.

megamariox
Jun 4, 2011

Glazius posted:

If I remember correctly D4 says that Celestia and the Netherworld are powered by Awe and Fear energy respectively that they leech off from humans. Which honestly in a series where you show how demons aren't really all that different and angels can have some really big flaws isn't the best thing.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I am farther behind in my Disgaea lore than I thought.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Scalding Coffee posted:

Celestia is powered by God. The Netherworld being drained of power should have been crippling Laharl beyond making it difficult for him to move around. Assuming he is in control of it. It would have turned into a graveyard like it did in Makai Kingdom. Probably another retcon.

Well Makai Kingdom is just weird in general and definitely happening in a different sort of area because their Prinnies are robots or something (they're noted as being made in a factory).

And I think yes the Netherworld would look like Salome's at the end if not for the angel power being infused.

EDIT: Update's recorded, hopefully ready tomorrow? We'll see.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Sep 25, 2016

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Forty-One: The March of Magic

Last time we learned that Xenolith is to blame for all of this. Now we’re going to pursue him.

Video- Ever Shifting Lands

Watch

Sicily does not really get what’s going on here and why we don’t really have a choice about doing this.

Don’t ask stupid questions.
It’s not stupid! It’s really, really important!
It has nothing to do with being able to or not. I just have to beat him.
I don’t want to hear any bluffing! Answer me!
What are you crying about? Nine times out of ten, we’ll lose.
What!? Really!?
Our opponent is sucking magic from the Netherworld. We’re basically fighting the Netherworld itself. We could even die.
What…?
Big Brother! Let’s go back and talk to the Seraph, okay?
No. This is the Netherworld’s problem. How can I call myself the Overlord if I can’t solve this on my own!
Not to mention, I’ve been getting pushed around by all sorts of demons. It’s seriously pissing me off!
But…

Flonne, being secretly not an idiot, points something else out.

What? Then why would he risk his life to absorb so much power?
I don’t know…
But if he really wanted to become the Overlord, he probably would’ve just finished you off.
She’s got a point…
Maybe he’s still hiding something…

At this point we get interrupted.

Please, let us through! If we don’t stop Xenolith, the Netherworld is going to turn into one giant flower field!
It’s no use, Flonne. These are just big chunks of magic that took the shape of demons.
What? They’re chunks of magic?
So is this one of Xenolith’s abilities?
That’s probably a good assumption.
In that case, we don’t need to hold back! Plow right through them!

This is just kind of a rude map depending on your composition.

There’s three Rifle Demons who do increased damage on their regular attacks, and eight Succubi that reflect 25% of the damage they take back on any male attackers. If your party is more female than male (for example lots of Magic Knights) then that part is easy as hell. There’s not much to say about the map, though. Hope you don’t rely entirely on male characters, otherwise you’ll take tons of recoil damage. Also from something their text says I think Prinnies just blow up if they hit a Succubus with this Evility, which is pretty funny if so.

More story for the next map.

Video- Ruthless Cave

Watch

What are you talking about? You do know that that’s the only reason we’re going to all this trouble, right?
But…he’s your brother… Why do you need to…?
How many times do I have to say this? I don’t have a brother. I don’t know that guy.
Are you really sure about that?
Ugh, can’t you just let it go…?
…Sorry. Let’s drop this conversation.
What? But Flonne…
That’s enough talking. Looks like we have more magic chunks to deal with.

Sicily definitely gets the osmium-level dense lines this time around instead of Flonne.

Perfect. I’ve been waiting to take my anger out on something.
Prince, stay next to me like a good sidekick.
Wh-What!? You’re supposed to be my sidekick!
There’s no time to argue. Here they come.
Dammit… Fine. Etna, go nuts.
I’m gonna dish out the assault!
Flonne, why did you drop the conversation…?
I think somewhere in Etna’s heart, she believes that Xenolith is her brother…
Let’s just believe in her, and hope that this doesn’t turn tragic.
…Okay.

So a much more interesting map.

All three flavors of elemental dragon are present, and all of their possible evilities are represented. The first trio are all immune to their own element (though they’re also at a whopping -75% vulnerability to another element so killing them is still quite straightforward). The other groups are one dragon-type that reduces our resistance to the element by 15% and two that increase their stats every time their element is used. So yeah, the map is actually exploiting our desire to use elemental weaknesses at some level here by setting things up such that we’re going to be helping one type of dragon every time we kill another. You could use non-elemental attacks to get around this of course, but it’s probably better to just make sure you’re exploding them to minimize how many actual abilities get used. AoE is also good.

Next Time, Disgaea D2: The Pursuit Continues.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
You know, Laharl isn't actually that far off from saying Xenolith is trying to become Overlord: even if the latter has reasons for his actions which are entirely benign, what he's been doing affects the entire Netherworld, and that's something only an Overlord has any right to do. While Laharl may not be given the time of day by most of his own Netherworld's demons, he's still got a decent track record of solving problems, and he's both the only demon with any useful connection to Celestia and the Demon most invested in Etna's welfare (outside of Xenolith, obviously), so keeping him in the dark is actually a massive disservice to him.

Xenolith's way is probably the most convenient, but Laharl can probably find a way that's actually just.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, I can't wait for this guy to explain why he was willing to destroy the entire loving Netherworld.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Glazius posted:

Man, I can't wait for this guy to explain why he was willing to destroy the entire loving Netherworld.

To be fair, he isn't, he's the one making angels inject angel power into it so it doesn't get destroyed. True, it'll be changed, but it won't be destroyed. Important distinction.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Is this really the last chapter? It feels kind of out of nowhere. The only other Disgaeas I've played are 1 and 2, and they both had fairly substantial (multi-chapter) build-ups to their respective finales.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Is this really the last chapter? It feels kind of out of nowhere. The only other Disgaeas I've played are 1 and 2, and they both had fairly substantial (multi-chapter) build-ups to their respective finales.

I think that's just an artifact of there being so many plot threads. We've actually resolved most of the plot already so moving on to the last but most important thing doesn't feel quite the same.

megamariox
Jun 4, 2011

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Eh... I'd say that is because we found out about the netherworld collapsing to late. If we had found out about the netherworld collapsing a bit earlier it would have raised the stakes and given a bit more build up to the final chapter. After all right now we've only be focusing on the yuie flowers, and they are just a small symptom of something bigger going on and weren't really that important.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Ah, I've got it. Disgaea 1 had a lot of cutaway scenes to build up Vulcanus as a villain. The Krichevskoy group and Xenolith had none of that.

It also feels like fewer things have happened.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

MightyPretenders posted:

Ah, I've got it. Disgaea 1 had a lot of cutaway scenes to build up Vulcanus as a villain. The Krichevskoy group and Xenolith had none of that.

It also feels like fewer things have happened.

The latter part is probably because most of what we've done has actually been relevant to the overall plot. We've not really been dithering around much doing weird goofy poo poo. That said I think there are like two fewer chapters than original Disgaea? And it does feel like there are fewer story scenes in general.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Feinne posted:

The latter part is probably because most of what we've done has actually been relevant to the overall plot. We've not really been dithering around much doing weird goofy poo poo. That said I think there are like two fewer chapters than original Disgaea? And it does feel like there are fewer story scenes in general.
Disgaea 1 had more, shorter chapters compared to what they started doing later, yeah.

(Until Disgaea 5, which has more and longer chapters than Disgaea 1, and if anything ends up going on too long because of it.)

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Eh, I felt like 5 was about the right length.

I've been a bit busy with actual work that pays so I haven't gotten a chance to record yet, update sometime later in the week.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
It's definitely not that it's too long for the systems to support. If they kept up the same level of quality, I could keep playing their levels basically forever. And I wouldn't exactly say the story is badly paced either. I'd say it just has more stuff in it than it needs to. A lot of things happen that wouldn't be worth the time to show if you weren't giving every major character their own personal chapter for systemic reasons.

I also don't think the A-plot is very good at all. By the time I got to the start of the final chapter, I was so done with that particular story. If I liked that as much as I like the game part of the game, then yeah, it's very possible that I'd have wanted it to on for longer, even.

FractalSandwich fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Sep 28, 2016

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

I will be interested to see what people think about D5 once we get to that.

Update is recorded but videos still need to be cut, going to say most likely tomorrow.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Well, I also don't like Laharl, so my opinions are already objectively wrong according to most people who like Disgaea.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Forty-Two: Together

We’ve got two more maps today, starting with one with no plot. It’s also got a gimmick they like so much that it happens again in Disgaea 5.

Video- “Netherworld’s Crust”

Watch

So this is a vertical map where we have to make use of Jumping Power+ panels to travel. Characters especially bad at jumping won’t be able to progress, so be careful on that front. Also remember a character has to start their movement on the panel to get the benefit. The main threats on the map are five Star Mages. The first two are pretty easy to take out as they’re about midway up the map. The last three are a pain, because they’ll mount Noble Demons at the start of the map and those things are kinda damage sponges. Soaking up Omega Stars with Armor Knights and Barbara (if you can get her up there) is always helpful.

We get some plot before the next one.

Video- “Zygote of Pain”

Watch

This isn’t looking good…
By the time we beat them all down, the Netherworld might already be covered in flowers.
What’ll happen to all the angels…?
They’ll probably all shrivel up once all their power’s sucked out…
What…!?
I won’t let that happen!

I’m sure you can see where this is going with Virunga showing up.

The angel you rescued told me everything.
I have come to rescue my beloved angels.
Hmph! I didn’t ask for your help!
Don’t get the wrong impression. I’m not trying to help you.
But I’m not going to lose angels just because I was stubborn. Now, go find the demon who kidnapped my angels.
I’m not going because you told me to. I’m merely going because I want to destroy that fool for my own reasons.
Prince Laharl, we’ll help you, too!

The Krichevskoy Group of course show up next.

Prince Laharl, we would have appreciated if you had told us that you found where the angels were being held.
It’s a good thing we made it in time! Leave these monsters to us!
I will unleash everything. I can’t hold this thing in my arm back any longer!
You guys…
Please turn the Netherworld back to how it used to be. We believe in you, Overlord Laharl.
Leave it to me. I won’t let you down!
Let’s go! We have to move while they’re distracted!
Everyone…don’t push yourselves too hard!
Thanks…everyone.
And…sorry…

Another cool map.

So we’re up against rather a lot of enemies, but are supported by the Krichevskoy Group and Virunga. They’ll sit on those Aqua panels and hold the enemy up, but will definitely go down if you don’t push over to back them up. We can toss defensive symbols onto Aqua to do so if we want, and obviously we can also heal them. Still, job one is to kill the Surts, Ghosts, and Reapers between us and them. Virunga is the most fragile of the three and realistically he’s gonna go down. Once we clear up everything else we have to open up the No Entry area (yellow) and deal with a small group of Surts that have been getting buffed every time a Fire attack was used. If you clear the No Entry the most natural way they’ll also start on Mighty Enemy, so back up and let them come to you. With the help of your allies this is pretty reasonable, just make sure you take advantage of them well.

Next Time, Disgaea D2: Showdown.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Still need to record the last maps of the main game and not sure how work will be next week, but I should have an update by midweek.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Aw. They really did come back for us in the end.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I was going to ask if you could do some videos without Sandy, because I assumed Sandy was some sort of DLC character because of how similar the sprite was to Barbara and how much her defend ability seems to trivialize a lot of these fights. I just realized she's a "normal" character. Is that defender ability really as powerful as it seems? It's making a lot of the non-gimmick fights pretty boring.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Chuu posted:

I was going to ask if you could do some videos without Sandy, because I assumed Sandy was some sort of DLC character because of how similar the sprite was to Barbara and how much her defend ability seems to trivialize a lot of these fights. I just realized she's a "normal" character. Is that defender ability really as powerful as it seems? It's making a lot of the non-gimmick fights pretty boring.

That Evility is so strong they removed it from Disgaea 5. It won't be playing a large part in the final maps though because she's just not durable enough to soak hits there (Barbara is, though, and is like absolutely crucial to actually beating the final boss).

I've got the front end of the final boss recorded but my computer hard-locked after that, sigh.

EDIT: The main game is in the can, I might still break this into two updates because the end is long. I'm also not sure my conscience allows me to even post a video of the final boss because it is a fight as dull as it is difficult, which is to say EXTREMELY.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Oct 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Well that's diasppointing, but it seems to be sort of a thing with Disgaea's final story bosses. Either the journey there made you strong enough to clown the entire map with one or two characters, or it's just kind of a tedious slog. (Though again, the worst example of a difficulty curve getting wonky in the endgame is probably still Phantom Brave.)

• Locked thread