Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

8th-snype posted:

The nissin i40 is good and it's pretty small compared to equal powered flashguns. The dials are a little fiddly but it is nice to have simple manual controls. I'd buy it over an ef42 again easily. Here's a 3rd less expensive option that I have heard good things about but never personally used https://amzn.com/B00UN01D8A

Thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

tater_salad posted:

Hello Dorkroom dwellers.

I've picked up baby's first budget DSLR (Used Nikon D80) and am looking to grab some extra gear, bag is picked already, just not ordering till i'm back in town.

1. Flash
Budget ~30-60 range
I'd like a flash that's a bit better than the on-board flash, My indoor pictures will mostly be limited so I don't want to take away from my budget on other stuff?
Not sure what feature's i'd look for or need, my last flash was a $29 that was attached to a 1970's pentax 35mm camera.

2. Lens recommendations: What are mid-range / consumer level manufacturers?
Is it generally good/bad all across a company line or can 1 lens be poo poo and another be good?

#2: Nikon, sigma, and tamron all make exceptional, great, good, mediocre, and garbage lenses.
If you want to avoid bad lenses, don't buy a superzoom.
Do you plan on ever moving to full frame? to a newer crop body? or do you just want to try this all out and continue as a hobby if you like it?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

tater_salad posted:

Hello Dorkroom dwellers.

I've picked up baby's first budget DSLR (Used Nikon D80) and am looking to grab some extra gear, bag is picked already, just not ordering till i'm back in town.

1. Flash
Budget ~30-60 range
I'd like a flash that's a bit better than the on-board flash, My indoor pictures will mostly be limited so I don't want to take away from my budget on other stuff?
Not sure what feature's i'd look for or need, my last flash was a $29 that was attached to a 1970's pentax 35mm camera.

Is it generally good/bad all across a company line or can 1 lens be poo poo and another be good?

1. Check out what they have over at yongnuousa.net , Tim will give you better customer service than everyone selling the same stuff at Amazon. They're a good budget brand but won't last as long as first party, but are cheap enough to replace that it's not such a big deal.

2. Copies of a lens can vary so some people will choose to get their gear calibrated together. The D80 might have a fine tune control, but I imagine it doesn't and it's probably not high enough resolution to really matter anyway. Sigma and Tamron are generally the people competing in the same area as Nikon do, but at a cheaper price. Sigma Art series also make some lenses for crop sensor cameras like yours that are more innovative, but they don't generally come cheap.

POWELL CURES KIDS posted:

Hi gear thread. I'm super new to photography, and I'm looking for baby's first remote shutter release, to go with baby's first used Nikon D7000. I don't have any other gear except a tripod and two lenses (Nikon's AF-S 18-55 and 55-300), and I'm trying to be thrifty and grab equipment that will stay useful throughout the learning curve. I mostly shoot landscape, and I'm trying to branch into night-time/low-light shooting and long exposures. For the remote shutter release, my extremely uninformed search has turned up two main candidates:

The Nikon ML-L3 Wireless Remote Control
The PocketWizard FCC PlusX Transceiver

The second is like $70 more. Considering that I really have no idea what I'm doing, is one a better choice in the long term? What's the gap here? Should I be looking at something else entirely? And, er, are these even the right questions to be asking?

One of these is a remote shutter, the other is a wireless flash link. They don't so the same thing so aren't comparable.

I personally have the Amazon version of the first thing you linked (is cheaper and identical) and a wired shutter release cable (called an intervelometer) that lets you do more things like timelapse and other timed features. Again, get a Chinese one as they're fine and cheap as poo poo.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

EL BROMANCE posted:

1. Check out what they have over at yongnuousa.net , Tim will give you better customer service than everyone selling the same stuff at Amazon. They're a good budget brand but won't last as long as first party, but are cheap enough to replace that it's not such a big deal.

2. Copies of a lens can vary so some people will choose to get their gear calibrated together. The D80 might have a fine tune control, but I imagine it doesn't and it's probably not high enough resolution to really matter anyway. Sigma and Tamron are generally the people competing in the same area as Nikon do, but at a cheaper price. Sigma Art series also make some lenses for crop sensor cameras like yours that are more innovative, but they don't generally come cheap.

One of these is a remote shutter, the other is a wireless flash link. They don't so the same thing so aren't comparable.

I personally have the Amazon version of the first thing you linked (is cheaper and identical) and a wired shutter release cable (called an intervelometer) that lets you do more things like timelapse and other timed features. Again, get a Chinese one as they're fine and cheap as poo poo.

Actually you can use pocketwizards to trigger any camera with a miniphone jack, you just need two of them. I don't think I would buy it for this purpose but if you are like me and already have a few PWs kicking around for lighting it's a cool feature.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Hi gear thread. I'm super new to photography, and I'm looking for baby's first remote shutter release, to go with baby's first used Nikon D7000. I don't have any other gear except a tripod and two lenses (Nikon's AF-S 18-55 and 55-300), and I'm trying to be thrifty and grab equipment that will stay useful throughout the learning curve. I mostly shoot landscape, and I'm trying to branch into night-time/low-light shooting and long exposures. For the remote shutter release, my extremely uninformed search has turned up two main candidates:

The Nikon ML-L3 Wireless Remote Control
The PocketWizard FCC PlusX Transceiver

The second is like $70 more. Considering that I really have no idea what I'm doing, is one a better choice in the long term? What's the gap here? Should I be looking at something else entirely? And, er, are these even the right questions to be asking?

Do you need wireless control? By which I mean, do you just want to be able to fire the camera without touching it (for macro or long exposure stuff for example). If that's the case and you don't anticipate being more than a couple of metres away from your camera when you want to fire it, you can get a cheap wired remote for less than $10 ($30 if you want the Nikon MC-DC1 version). For your long exposure night photography, that should set you up nicely (I use the equivalent Canon product for my long exposure shots).

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
I'm look to pick up a polarizer, aside from getting a circular one and single or multi coating is there anything else i should consider when buying one?

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Ryand-Smith posted:

Again everyone thanks for your advise. I got the 50-100, and with the 50 1.4 I feel I should be good. Also, I kinda hate every online review site. The scale of the lens is huge. In my new camera backpack, which is the second biggest lowepro backpack, I fit the 7DII with grip and the lens and just enough room for an α7 with nothing but the sensor cap on it. It's a big lens and I will try to provide test shots when I return from a Photoshoot with friends this weekend. You all are awesome people by the way.

If you ever want to compare in the future, camerasize.com will let you line up bodies and lenses next to each other to see how the sizes compare.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Wild EEPROM posted:

#2: Nikon, sigma, and tamron all make exceptional, great, good, mediocre, and garbage lenses.
If you want to avoid bad lenses, don't buy a superzoom.
Do you plan on ever moving to full frame? to a newer crop body? or do you just want to try this all out and continue as a hobby if you like it?

Yes I plan on upgrading my body at some point and time, will it be a crop or full frame not sure, that all depends on budget and what's available at the time. What constitutes super zoom? If I recall they distort like crazy. I kind of have 2-3 lenses in my next pile, a 50mm prime, and a something to ~200 MM. The 50mm Prime will probably be low on my list since most of my pictures are outdoors getting a fast prime portrait lens seems like it's low on the need/want scale.

I've done photography as a hobby for many years. My first digital was a sony DSC-s75 which had M/A/S/P modes as well as a lot of other manual options that you just can't find on a point and shoot. then I upgraded to a DSC-V1 years later for the same reason.
Since then kids and house buying and life happened so I didn't have much budget or time for photography, so next camera was a generic point and shoot with big screen and few options. Now I"m back into the hobby. I started with an older inexpensive body because it will take me some time to get use to the digital world after using a general point and shoot for years. Also a less expensive body lets me build up the important gear like flashes, and lenses.

EL BROMANCE posted:

I think my brother uses a yonguo but wasn't sure if it was failtrash or garbage, again if I have a flash it'll probably be used for maybe 1/10th or less of my pictures, so getting one that'll fire a million times over 100k times isnt' a huge issue for me.. the 100k one would last me years, the million time a lifetime.

The D80 does not have fine control.

NEW QUESTION:
Not particularly gear but while I"m here.
Is lightroom the standard go-to for "easy" post processing raw files, any free or less expensive alternatives? I really don't see myself post processing for hours and hours, I'm of the mindset of take the picture the right way the first time, but if there are pictures I really like and want to print/frame I may want to touch it up I'd like to do some edits.

windex
Aug 2, 2006

One thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.

Ezekiel_980 posted:

I'm look to pick up a polarizer, aside from getting a circular one and single or multi coating is there anything else i should consider when buying one?

I tend to prefer the Marumi Exus line as they are almost invulnerable for both CPL and protect filters when you need one (rain, sand, dust).

They also rate pretty highly for optical quality (vs Hoya/Kenko and B+W) but may be harder to find outside of Asia.

I have a few Marumi CPLs to cover three wildly different lens sizes and have never been disappointed.

Meanwhile I set down a Hoya/Kenko R72 today and it fell an eight of an inch onto the table and chipped.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
I have

windex posted:

I tend to prefer the Marumi Exus line as they are almost invulnerable for both CPL and protect filters when you need one (rain, sand, dust).

They also rate pretty highly for optical quality (vs Hoya/Kenko and B+W) but may be harder to find outside of Asia.

I have a few Marumi CPLs to cover three wildly different lens sizes and have never been disappointed.

Meanwhile I set down a Hoya/Kenko R72 today and it fell an eight of an inch onto the table and chipped.

I have a Marumi filter I got at a yard sale for $2, it's amazing but only 52mm.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Hi gear thread. I'm super new to photography, and I'm looking for baby's first remote shutter release, to go with baby's first used Nikon D7000. I don't have any other gear except a tripod and two lenses (Nikon's AF-S 18-55 and 55-300), and I'm trying to be thrifty and grab equipment that will stay useful throughout the learning curve. I mostly shoot landscape, and I'm trying to branch into night-time/low-light shooting and long exposures.
If you have a smartphone with an IR transmitter you could try one of the remote release apps for free.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

nmfree posted:

If you have a smartphone with an IR transmitter you could try one of the remote release apps for free.

If you have a smartphone with an IR transmitter lol

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
If you want an IR remote release just get a chinese knockoff of the ML-L3 on ebay for $1 http://www.ebay.ca/itm/For-Nikon-Camera-Wireless-Remote-Control-D600-D7000-D5100-D3200-J1-J2-/301880248700

Erostratus
Jun 18, 2011

by R. Guyovich
So, i'm in photography school and doing a video class while knowing next to nothing about video. What's the best shotgun mic for a Canon 6D for say, under $150? Or is a lavalier around that price point a better idea?

Erostratus fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Sep 16, 2016

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

At that budget, look into the Rode stuff.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

tater_salad posted:

NEW QUESTION:
Not particularly gear but while I"m here.
Is lightroom the standard go-to for "easy" post processing raw files, any free or less expensive alternatives? I really don't see myself post processing for hours and hours, I'm of the mindset of take the picture the right way the first time, but if there are pictures I really like and want to print/frame I may want to touch it up I'd like to do some edits.
In my opinion: Edit your photos. A few clicks makes a HUGE difference to the final product. Again, my opinion only, but I've seen my own photos go from "huh, that's kinda neat" to "Why can't I favourite the hell out of my own photos on Flickr" enough times with 30 seconds of LR to be firmly of the opinion that Editing. Improves. Photos.

I've got LR 3.6, which is at least 2 generations out of date. I've also got Corel Aftershot (version 2 I think) that came with VideoStudio Pro X7 when I bought it a couple of years ago. I can't find it at the moment (I'm *pretty sure* I installed it way back when) but Aftershot basically does what LR does, but differently so my habits built up over years of LR don't fit with Aftershot.

Yes, yes, "LOL Corel", but VideoStudio Pro does what I want it to do with a fairly easy learning curve and nothing in Aftershot made me run screaming from the room. Adobe's subscription-based business model does make me run screaming from the room, but that's between me and the demons that run Adobe and not really your concern.

There are some free options out there, spend some time browsing for "photo editing software" and "lightroom alternative" and you'll turn up some options. At the very least, most software companies offer 30-day free trials so you can work out if you hate something.

Erostratus posted:

So, i'm in photography school and doing a video class while knowing next to nothing about video. What's the best shotgun mic for a Canon 6D for say, under $150? Or is a lavalier around that price point a better idea?
A proper lavalier is probably a great investment, but a few years ago I saw a video that suggested just using the actor's / subject's own smartphone in a shirt pocket set to audio record (and some way to sync the audio, like a hand clap) as a supercheap option.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Erostratus posted:

EL BROMANCE posted:

At that budget, look into the Rode stuff.

get one of these Rode VMGO's from amazon for the bare minimum in quality. I have it, and it has a bit of fuzz/hiss because it runs off the camera battery, and has no switches for high-pass filters. Or, find one of these Rode Pro's on CL (there's an older model with a different mount, too) which are like the gold standard of DSLR shotgun mic's.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Erostratus posted:

I have this RØDE mic. It's fine and falls between the two that Red19Fire listed as it has a high-pass filter and its own batteries as a power source.

Erostratus
Jun 18, 2011

by R. Guyovich

Helen Highwater posted:

I have this RØDE mic. It's fine and falls between the two that Red19Fire listed as it has a high-pass filter and its own batteries as a power source.

Thanks guys, that was a lot of support for Rode so i went ahead and bit the bullet on this one. I'll get a lavalier later on because i want to focus on documentaries if anything, but i just wanted something fast for general sound improvement.

Video is loving hard btw, holy cow.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Erostratus posted:

Video is loving hard btw, holy cow.

This is my opinion too. Which is probably why I have a bunch of video footage on my computer that's just sitting there waiting for me to pick it up and put it together. :sigh:

Morkfang
Dec 9, 2009

I'm awesome.
:smug:

Bromine posted:

I have the 860II N. It works most times, just about 20% of the time it doesn't fire. I'm pretty sure it's not recycling or anything. It seems to be related to how I'm holding them in relation to each other.

That sounds really odd. I can't speak for the 860II as I don't have one of them. I use TT685 and AD360II units with the X1 transmitter and it doesn't matter where they are, be it inside softboxes, around corners, behind or in front of me, I never had problems. PocketWizards gave me more problems than the Godox system :iiam:

On a different note: I finally bit the bullet and ordered the Tamron SP 15-30mm for my Nikon D750 and feel giddy like a kid just before Christmas.

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no
The 50-100 produces amazingly dream like pictures, I had a technical issue (I am dumb and never switched back to AI Focus), but.. the best way of describing the image quality is dreamlike at the wide end. I manually white balanced to the sunset, and the lens produced high quality dreamlike images, almost like a fantasy. I have a large event in 2 weeks so I will give a more detailed review on how it performs. Its minimal focal length is really high so white balancing it is a pain.

I will bring back more test data, but I really like the lens, it produces great content.

RCK-101 fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Sep 18, 2016

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
Anyone using the Godox V860 flashes? I'm curious about the performance of the li-ion batteries vs traditional AA batteries. Part of me worries the li-ion will degrade over time and I'll be stuck with buying new ones, but another part of me sees "650 full-power flashes per charge" and gets excited.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

The Sony thread is archived, but they just announced the Sony Alpha a99ii

42MP Full-Frame Exmor R BSI CMOS Sensor
BIONZ X Image Processor & Front-End LSI
Internal UHD 4K Video & S-Log3 Gamma
S&Q Motion in Full HD from 1-120 fps
5-Axis SteadyShot INSIDE Stabilization
Hybrid Phase Detection AF System
0.5″ 2.36M-Dot XGA OLED Tru-Finder EVF
3.0″ 1,228.8k-Dot Tilting LCD Monitor
ISO 102,400 and 12 fps Shooting with AF
Dual SD Card Slots; 14-Bit Raw Output

It will ship in November for $3,199

And Sigma announced the 85mm F1.4 DG HSM Art, 12-24mm F4 DG HSM Art, and 500mm F4 DG OS HSM Sport Lenses

KinkyJohn fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Sep 20, 2016

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

drat, SLTs & A-mount are still kicking. I figured they'd just been quietly discontinued.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Sandisk announced a loving 1TB SD card at Photokina :stare:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Oh man I sure hope these end up in my lab :getin:

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
That new pseudo medium format Fuji announced has got me all a flutter.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Goddamn, I have a 128gb card and it's already too big for me.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

8th-snype posted:

Goddamn, I have a 128gb card and it's already too big for me.

lol I don't even use up my 16gb card on vacations...

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Imagine losing that or accidentally formatting it.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

spog posted:

Imagine losing that or accidentally formatting it.

It would be hard to accidentally format it, you'd have what, a month or so, to watch the progress bar crawl across the screen.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I guess the only time you'd want a card that large is maybe if you are shooting 4k video with your camera. You could fit way to many pictures on there for it to be ideally useful.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah I'd be goddamn terrified to lose that.

It's likely less to cover many needs outside of some really heavy video work and more just a sign that flash memory has gotten absurdly cheap over the last decade or so.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Helen Highwater posted:

It would be hard to accidentally format it, you'd have what, a month or so, to watch the progress bar crawl across the screen.

Last week I successfully proved that you can indeed bork a hard drive with a magnet.

My smugness at being able to fully restore from backup was somewhat negated by the 16hr formatting time to the 500GB HDD

Fortunately, even if you cancel the Full Format while it is in progress, you can still do a Quick Format.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The 1tb card would be ideal to put in your 2nd slot and use it as a non-stop backup.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

The 1tb card would be ideal to put in your 2nd slot and use it as a non-stop backup.

That's... actually a really good idea, yeah.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

alkanphel posted:

lol I don't even use up my 16gb card on vacations...

It was on sale and the same price as the 64gb cards I usually get, those are the perfect size to shoot all day at a wedding and avoid swapping.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

tater_salad posted:

Hello Dorkroom dwellers.

1. Flash
Budget ~30-60 range

1: You basically have three options: onboard flash, chinese clones, and name brand. The Chinese clones (like Yongnuo) are actually quite good. They're not quite in the $30-60 range but they're usually going to be under $100. A name-brand speedlite is going to cost you and probably isn't worth it unless you are shooting commercial events and need absolute reliability or have a specific need the clones won't fill. Do not use an ancient film flash you dug up somewhere, many of them have high voltages on the flash shoe that can damage modern cameras' flash circuitry.

2. As mentioned most manufacturers make a range between crap and awesome stuff depending on what you're willing to pay. Generally speaking the more you ask from a lens the more expensive it's going to get. It's much easier to make a lens sharp at a particular focal length (a prime lens) than to make it sharp across a wide range (zoom lenses), and superzooms in particular are terrible. So old primes will often compete with really expensive modern zoom lenses (but your D80 is entry level and crippled so it won't meter old lenses properly).

In general your kit will probably begin with a normal zoom (ala kit lens), a fast prime (35/1.8 DX), and some kind of telephoto zoom (55-300 or something). The 35/1.8 is a keeper but if you want to step up the rest of the kit look at the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 non-VC (the VC and the Sigma 17-50/2.8 are both slightly softer but have VC which has its own merits) and an older 70-200. If you think you can deal with manual focus the Samyang lineup is top-of-the-line for peanuts, and MF is particularly easy with some of the superwides they have. Otherwise the Sigma Art series are all top-of-the-line, the 35/1.4 and 18-35 f/1.8 are both amazing lenses. And with telephoto, at the high end you'll have a 70-200 f/2.8 VR and similar, plus fast supertele primes if you're really loaded.

I realize I'm way late to the party but if you can return the D80 you should, it's kind of a camera for suckers. The D200 is the prosumer version of that, it's got a more durable magnesium frame, better autofocus, the ability to meter old lenses, ability to install a focus screen to make manual focus lenses easy peasy, and nowadays it's only like $15 more than the D80. It's almost criminal to shoot a Nikon and cut yourself off from the ability to use Nikon's extensive library of legacy glass. There's tons of manual focus stuff where you will easily pay 5x as much to get the same capability on a new autofocus lens (like the Samyang lenses, MF tele lenses, etc).

windex posted:

Marumi's CPLs are the poo poo, top-flight quality at Tiffen prices. The only complaint I have is that their prices have crept up over the last couple years, but they're still a steal compared to the Heliopans or B+Ws they rank with.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Sep 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Probably cant' return, I was looking at the D200 but no one had in stock at that time. And sadly I was in a bit of a rush, I wanted to grab something before my brothers wedding to take along and get good pics of the kids. I mean I can probably sell it for a 10% loss and get a different body at some point that's a bit more current. Right now I"m learning to get back into taking photos, learning all about post processing, and collecting lenses. Maybe for xmas or bonus time I'll grab a nice body, or some glass, probably glass.

I could get along with manual focus but it would only get used about 1/2 the time. I shoot a lot of Kids playing, Animals running around, and then I shoot landscape / still stuff. Manual focus would work for landscape, but kids and dogs, they move fast.