Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

quote:

In July 1809 the largest British expeditionary force ever assembled weighed anchor off the Kent coast and sailed for the island of Walcheren in the Scheldt estuary.1,2 French naval activity at Antwerp had made the Dutch coast “a pistol held at the head of England,” and the government was keen to strike a decisive blow at Napoleon's ambitions. In the event, the preparation of the expedition was ponderous and its strategic aim was redundant before its execution. Napoleon had consolidated his grip on the continent by defeating the Austrians at Wagram earlier in the month.

The potential success of the venture was also compromised by the appointment of senior military and naval staff who appear, almost 200 years later, like characters from a pantomime. The overall commander, Lord Chatham, was elder brother to the late Mr Pitt and was himself nicknamed “the late earl” because of his difficulty in rising from bed in the morning. He was accompanied to Walcheren by his pet turtles.

Find out more about the worst holiday the Napoleonic British Army suffered here!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

The most basic of the fire control instruments was a range clock. Vickers built the first one to Admiral Percy Scott's design. They were widely deployed starting in 1906. What a range clock did was keep the range. You plotted the range to the target manually and once you had enough data points to draw a line through them, you set the clock for current range and the rate of change. The clock would then show the current range at any given moment... at least until the geometry of the situation changed. For short to medium range, this was pretty darn useful for a clockwork device:

I'm taking this from Brooks, and http://dreadnoughtproject.org/tfs/index.php/Category:Fire_Control They're doing yeoman work in presenting info on the period, including 3d models and simulations of the actual equipment. Here's a Dumaresq range solver in action doing basically what Polyakov posted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQTBfvJH_xc

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes

Yvonmukluk posted:

Huh, I did a similar topic for my dissertation. Is 'I'm working on an analyses of the shifting historiography of the Eastern Front' a version of 'do you have stairs in your house' solely for history students/graduates?

I can track down the books I used, but honestly I think you kind of have me beat already.

From pages back but I did this too. :v:

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

Polyakov posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1i-dnAH9Y4

Watch this US navy training film, it does a fairly interesting job of explaining the inner mechanics.

gently caress, I was gonna link this. It's long, but it's incredibly worth while if you want to understand mechanical computing. Essentially, it starts by explaining simple mechanisms that perform basic mathematical operations (e.g. "this is how you multiply") and then shows you how to begin combining them. The final computer is left as an exercise for the readerviewer, but breaking it down into component parts makes it much more digestible.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Hey Nenonen, post about that thing Nenonen Senior invented that made Finnish arty rock during the war, tia. :finland:

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Ensign Expendable posted:

I'm on page 305.

Hah! Nice.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

As always, navweaps has really good articles on fire control computers and directors.

The Mark 1 Fire Control Computer

The Mark 51 FCS

Fire Control Systems in WWII

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
The 100 Years Ago Today Subreddit talked about the Brusilov Offencive, does anyone know if anything about the Russian preparations and strategic conditions going into it, strategy and so on, that maybe highlights or foreshadows Russian strategic and operational strengths? Like could you look back at it and see "Aha, and this is why Bagration."

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Raenir Salazar posted:

The 100 Years Ago Today Subreddit talked about the Brusilov Offencive, does anyone know if anything about the Russian preparations and strategic conditions going into it, strategy and so on, that maybe highlights or foreshadows Russian strategic and operational strengths? Like could you look back at it and see "Aha, and this is why Bagration."

IIRC Brusilov's tactics probably had a significant impact on other European countries in the short term (during WWI), but they didn't have any kind of defining influence on Russian tactics generally over a longer term. Brusilov's tactics--advancing trenches under camouflage to serve as forward scouting and assault positions, extended observation to establish enemy strength and positioning, brief but accurate and intense preparatory bombardment followed immediately by close assault from picked infantry teams--presaged and probably influenced infiltration tactics used later on in the war. However, there isn't a straight line between that and Bagration. There is a family resemblance. Carefully plotted, pre-sighted, and brief but intense artillery preparation continued to be part of Soviet offensives for a long time. Camouflage, secrecy, and deception (the Russian umbrella term is maskirovka) was also a feature, but they had a staff college devoted to military deception before WWI.

Soviet military theoreticians and the ideas they produce had a lot more to do with their hands-on experience in the Russian Civil War, and later on WWII, than with Brusilov.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis
Any recommendations for audiobooks on European military history? Specific or general subjects. I have a lot of driving ahead of me.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Raenir Salazar posted:

Speaking of, I wonder what trin is up to. He's getting pretty far behind.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Dirt Worshipper posted:

Any recommendations for audiobooks on European military history? Specific or general subjects. I have a lot of driving ahead of me.

Somme: Into the Breach is a new one that I'm going to start next week probably but if you want to test it out for me the initial reviews have been fantastic. Marked for Death: The First War in the Air is another one; there hasn't been a good study on the WWI air war in quite a while.

If you're looking for just straight up time rending semi historical audiobooks, Pillars of the Earth and North and South can eat up time like no other thing.

edit - John Lee also did Guns of August and Fall of Giants and both those were great. Basically, anything John Lee narrates.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Sep 21, 2016

americong
May 29, 2013

Dirt Worshipper posted:

speaking of book recs

I ordered the myth of the eastern front, and while poking around came across some survey-style texts on milhist

the cambridge history of warfare looked pretty interesting (if long), does anyone have experience with that/alternate recommendations for survey texts

e: is looking for survey texts A Mistake in general

Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011

Do you perhaps mean, 45.9%? If not, I would love to see that report.

Meanwhile, in Western Europe, German tanks (and these are Tigers and Panthers only) get penetrated 56% of the time.

I found the table he's speaking of! I'ts Maksim Kolomiets, Proslaveniy t-34(Moscow: Yauza, 2012) page 470.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Christ, I would not want to try and fix a mechanical fire control computer if there was any significant shock/mechanical damage.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

americong posted:

e: is looking for survey texts A Mistake in general

I definitely wouldn't put them down as a mistake, and think they can be excellent for exploratory reading and for signposting further research. No one can read everything in a primary or even secondary form.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Monocled Falcon posted:

I found the table he's speaking of! I'ts Maksim Kolomiets, Proslaveniy t-34(Moscow: Yauza, 2012) page 470.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
There's actually a more important supplementary table that provides the explanation - the total disappearance of guns other than the 88 and 75mm from the German arsenal in 1943 onwards, and that the majority of tanks were hit from the side.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Sep 21, 2016

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Plan Z posted:

This was sort of done in Iraq during the Bush years.

Not effectually, though. When the time came to take Fallujah, former Iraqi soldiers( whom the occupational authority had fired in a fit of genious), promised they could pacify the area. They took a shitload of vehicles, weapons and money, and then promptly disappeared, because they were insurgents all along.

The tradition of HEY GAL's people lives on.

Isn't this guy a cossack soldier wannabe? Would explain the bling.

Tias fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Sep 21, 2016

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

hogmartin posted:

Hah! Nice.

I just reread some of those articles on a lark, and it's just precious how on every single one of them there will be at least one wehraboo in the comments vociferously defending the german tanker's honour. "No, you see, the soviets reported 30 tanks lost over a week across the whole front. That totally makes this dude's claim of 24 kills in a single day viable!" :allears:

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Jeez, the WWII Debate thread in D&D is like the bizarro MilHist thread. It's Gay Black Hitlers all the way down, nobody has evidence to back up anything and the points don't matter.

HEY GAL posted:

if wallenstein was immune to being shot, does a missile still count as a "bullet" for the purposes of the magic

What i'm hearing is that Wallenstein was vulnerable to bazookas but not recoilless rifles *takes notes furiously*

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

HEY GAL posted:

if wallenstein was immune to being shot, does a missile still count as a "bullet" for the purposes of the magic

How did he become immune to being shot in the first place? Also what made him believe this to be true other than not being shot?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

MikeCrotch posted:

Jeez, the WWII Debate thread in D&D is like the bizarro MilHist thread. It's Gay Black Hitlers all the way down, nobody has evidence to back up anything and the points don't matter.
never go to d&d

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Boiled Water posted:

How did he become immune to being shot in the first place? Also what made him believe this to be true other than not being shot?
he was frozen, op.

and i don't know if he believed it about himself but everyone around him definitely did, in Quartermaster Deodati's account of Luetzen he mentions quite straightforwardly, "yeah the general-in-chief was at the head of his troops, a musket ball hit him but didn't go through, this happened loads of times, it's normal for him"

edit: general shot, so what

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Sep 21, 2016

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

HEY GAL posted:

never go to d&d

Congratulations on breaking your year-long streak of bad posts.

Edit: ahahahaha there's a 54 page abomb thread. The op is the c&p'd text of a salon article. Holy gently caress.

Rodrigo Diaz fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Sep 21, 2016

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

Edit: ahahahaha there's a 54 page abomb thread. The op is the c&p'd text of a salon article. Holy gently caress.

link?

:v:

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Tias posted:

Isn't this guy a cossack soldier wannabe? Would explain the bling.

Afaik that is a conscript demobbing celebratory tradition. It seems to have escalated a bit since the soviet era.

Then:

http://www.soviet-uniforms.com/items/_539/539.html

Now:

e: I vaguely remember there being something similar in the Bundeswehr, but extremely few people felt it enough to bother. Conscription was down to nine months by then and it was just this pro forma thing, not much emotion involved. But the base store had some out-of-regs uniform addition stuff you could get. God, it's been forever.

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Sep 21, 2016

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

aphid_licker posted:

Afaik that is a conscript demobbing celebratory tradition. It seems to have escalated a bit since the soviet era.

Then:

http://www.soviet-uniforms.com/items/_539/539.html

Now:

Oh okay. I heard people with (real or imagined) cossack lineage dress up like soldiers with garish bling all the time, my bad.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

HEY GAL posted:

he was frozen, op.

and i don't know if he believed it about himself but everyone around him definitely did, in Quartermaster Deodati's account of Luetzen he mentions quite straightforwardly, "yeah the general-in-chief was at the head of his troops, a musket ball hit him but didn't go through, this happened loads of times, it's normal for him"

edit: general shot, so what

Okay, this is literally the worst milhist question ever, but I have a 5 year old daughter, and so: is it possible that this concept of "frozen" nobles with their weird battlefield abilities inspired a certain recent Disney movie of the same name......

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

Congratulations on breaking your year-long streak of bad posts.

I think this was the thread where somebody was arguing 1) the only moral attack would for the USAAF to drop food, which would 2) cause the population to rise up and demand surrender?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Nebakenezzer posted:

I think this was the thread where somebody was arguing 1) the only moral attack would for the USAAF to drop food, which would 2) cause the population to rise up and demand surrender?

I remember doing the math for operation feed Japan and it was shall we say unrealistic

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes

bewbies posted:

I remember doing the math for operation feed Japan and it was shall we say unrealistic

Short supply line too.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Nebakenezzer posted:

I believe I saw a rebuttal to this, using the known numbers from the Berlin airdrop operation to demonstrate that the US would require more cargo planes and converted bombers than they produced during the entire war to actually supply enough food to keep the population of Japan fed.

Edit: Yeah, bewbies was the one. Is it possible for us to get that post back?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Even if you could drop all the food how would it lead to surrender? I'm imagining "drop food -> ??? -> surrender".

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Yeah Imperial Japan was full of Goku anime characters who'd stop fighting if they ate. Great point made, terrible WW2 d&d thread.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
put a polite note requesting surrender on each food packet

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

Boiled Water posted:

Even if you could drop all the food how would it lead to surrender? I'm imagining "drop food -> ??? -> surrender".

The people will naturally see the good of democracy and overthrow their evil rules of course :shepface:

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

The Belgian posted:

The people will naturally see the good of democracy and overthrow their evil rules of course :shepface:

I mean yes this was basically the argument being made

when I was figuring all of that crap out I remember being pretty fascinated by the idea in general, not necessarily because the idea was strategically valid, but more like, the world's largest Air Force ever in the history of time, with the entire might of the world's largest war economy behind it, successfully supply an enormous isolated island nation solely by air.

Even attempting it would have been as large an undertaking as we probably ever seen in human history and it would have madeother extraordinary logistical efforts from the time look Absolutely tiny in comparison

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Pity you can't compress nutrition the way you can explosive power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

bewbies posted:

I mean yes this was basically the argument being made

when I was figuring all of that crap out I remember being pretty fascinated by the idea in general, not necessarily because the idea was strategically valid, but more like, the world's largest Air Force ever in the history of time, with the entire might of the world's largest war economy behind it, successfully supply an enormous isolated island nation solely by air.

Even attempting it would have been as large an undertaking as we probably ever seen in human history and it would have madeother extraordinary logistical efforts from the time look Absolutely tiny in comparison

Something bigger than the Berlin Airlift with a much longer way to go supplying an entire war torn country would be an amazing feat to see actually worked out.