Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
What good legacy games are out there? I've really been struck by the idea since pandemic and my wife and I + a couple we game with would like more. I was looking forward to that gloomhaven game I'm not sure if that's just going off the deep end of RPG territory. Anything out that is recommended?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Descent or Imperial Assualt maybe? Nothing but not good things coming from people playing Seafall.

minute
Jul 31, 2003

foxxtrot posted:

I'm interested in games built around auctions, so that I can become more familiar with existing designs for a design I'm noodling about in my head.

Aside from Power Grid and Chicago Express (which have both been mentioned multiple times), what are people's favorite games featuring auctions?

Modern Art. It's probably the purest auction game there is.

Also +1 for Keyflower and Archipelago, although I think it's a stretch to call Archipelago a "game built around auctions".

Edit: totally didn't realize I was so far behind on the thread.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

teacup posted:

What good legacy games are out there? I've really been struck by the idea since pandemic and my wife and I + a couple we game with would like more. I was looking forward to that gloomhaven game I'm not sure if that's just going off the deep end of RPG territory. Anything out that is recommended?

Well, the only three "Legacy" games right now are Risk (meh), Pandemic (great, but you played already), and Seafall (meh). You next best bet is going to be anything with a campaign, so things like The FFG line of Descent/IA, Arcadia Quest, or similar rpg-lite's where character progression is a thing.

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?
I played Castellion to pass time at work the other day and it's another really good solitaire game in the Oniverse trilogy. It felt a lot like a tile-laying version of Onirim. There's a fun puzzle game challenge of trying to build a certain pattern to pass the first stage of your "castle" and having to carefully shift it to something else before the end of game in order to win. It's definitely going on my short list of good compact solitaire games. Now I have to try Sylvion and complete the trilogy.

Also there's something to be said about how similar it felt to Onirim in theme, despite theme being all but absent in both games. The two games just had the same voice, despite being pretty different in execution. I'm a fan.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I'll have to hunt it down now, I have Onirim and Sylvion. I like Sylvion a bit more, but it requires a large space to play. How much space does Castellion need?

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?
Castellion has a much smaller footprint than Sylvion from what I know of Sylvion (that being it supposedly takes a lot of dang space). Your completed castle is only gonna be about 6x6 inches of table space, and the rest is just piles of 1 inch square tiles for drawing and discarding. Pretty small, possibly smaller than Onirim depending on what kind of table you're playing on.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Sweet. Sylvion isn't terrible, I've played on a coffee table and computer desk, but it's deceptively big for a small box game. I'd say you need about 15x20 inches.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
Mechs vs Minions looks like it might actually be good, and there's not many other programming co-op games out there. There's an interview with the lead [here](http://www.polygon.com/2016/9/19/12949698/league-of-legends-board-game-mechs-vs-minions-launch-date-price), guy owns 1000+ board games. One of the designers on Reddit confirmed that they play and love Space Alert, on the whole I think their team actually knows what they're doing.

I also think Quinn's "It's great but you won't hear that from me!" thing is fair enough given that it's obviously the kind of thing he'd love but his consultation work was on the level of "spend another 18 months redesigning it".

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
Codex Deluxe landed today. It now surpasses the Galaxy Trucker and Dungeon Lords Anniversary Editions as the largest box in my collection, and is second only to my wooden dominion case (with all expansions) in heaviness.

Granted, it's still no OGRE Deluxe, but on the upside there's an actual game inside this box.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

Bottom Liner posted:

Well, the only three "Legacy" games right now are Risk (meh), Pandemic (great, but you played already), and Seafall (meh). You next best bet is going to be anything with a campaign, so things like The FFG line of Descent/IA, Arcadia Quest, or similar rpg-lite's where character progression is a thing.

Yeah sorry I should've said something where campaign or progression is a thing. So like our characters, the world or some effects persist on. I'll check those suggestions out. Anyone have more?

Is descent a continuing campaign? That's the one with the app right?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Something that has a lot of hype going for it that you might be interested is Gloomhaven, but it's not going to be out until November and no one knows if it is actually good yet. It is, however, a persistent world where the campaign world develops and individual characters grow inside of it.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I wish I had known Gears if War was a decent game back when shops were clearing them out for 15 bucks a copy. :sigh:

Robust Laser
Oct 13, 2012

Dance, Spaceman, Dance!

Gutter Owl posted:

Codex Deluxe landed today. It now surpasses the Galaxy Trucker and Dungeon Lords Anniversary Editions as the largest box in my collection, and is second only to my wooden dominion case (with all expansions) in heaviness.

Granted, it's still no OGRE Deluxe, but on the upside there's an actual game inside this box.

I just nabbed the starter and base set, but since there was a board game day at the library today, I brought the smaller of the two boxes with me and learned it with somebody.

Seems neat. Also seems very definitely built for the 3v3 mode, rather than the single hero mode the starter set gives you. Also I kinda dig the whole 'deck building out of a personal deck' thing s'got going on.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Bubble-T posted:

Mechs vs Minions looks like it might actually be good, and there's not many other programming co-op games out there. There's an interview with the lead [here](http://www.polygon.com/2016/9/19/12949698/league-of-legends-board-game-mechs-vs-minions-launch-date-price), guy owns 1000+ board games. One of the designers on Reddit confirmed that they play and love Space Alert, on the whole I think their team actually knows what they're doing.

I also think Quinn's "It's great but you won't hear that from me!" thing is fair enough given that it's obviously the kind of thing he'd love but his consultation work was on the level of "spend another 18 months redesigning it".

The rules are available https://news-a.akamaihd.net/public/microsite_assets/mvm/MechsvsMinionsRulebookAllLanguages.zip so it should be pretty easy to tell if it will be any good. Someday I'll take a look at it, maybe after I've already bought the stupid thing because it looks surprisingly solid.

Also, I would mention that it comes out on their website on 10/13 as a limited "test run" so I expect the first print to sell out quickly.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

Impermanent posted:

Something that has a lot of hype going for it that you might be interested is Gloomhaven, but it's not going to be out until November and no one knows if it is actually good yet. It is, however, a persistent world where the campaign world develops and individual characters grow inside of it.

Yeah this has potential. I'll wait for reviews but looks promising.

What are the reviews on seafall? Seems pretty divisive?

Our group has played so far-

Pandemic
Ticket to ride
Mysterium
Dominant species
Tragedy looper
Settlers of catan

Would seafall be too hardcore?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Seafall will put you all to sleep before it becomes remotely interesting apparently.

poronty
Oct 19, 2006
a hung Aryan

Impermanent posted:

We're getting close to Essen now, what are you all looking forward to this year?

I have already preordered Alban's Tramways and all the new stuff by Eklund. Already skimmed their rulebooks and all of those look pretty solid to me, exactly what I would expect from those guys after having tried and fallen in love with most of their previous stuff. They are my favorite designers right now.

The new one from Richard Breese looks like an unnecessary, boring and ugly as hell clone/variant of Keyflower, so I am skipping that one (Keyflower is one of my all-time favs and I adore its graphic design).

Other games I am very interested in getting, not necessarily at the fair but eventually: new reprints/editions of Vanuatu, Troyes + Ladies, Indonesia and Arkwright, the new Whitechapel expansion. Also, new Sekigahara reprint getting shipped out tomorrow, and it looks like I am finally getting a copy! So excited about that one.

poronty fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Sep 21, 2016

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Bubble-T posted:

It amuses me no end that Tom "Dungeon Lords sucks because it's not a dungeon crawler" Vasel made them think "Hey, this game's clearly great! We don't need to change anything!" then Quinns comes in and it's "poo poo, gotta spend 18 months redesigning it now"

I bet some of the actual boardgamers at Riot were sweating bullets at Tom's response and hoping someone with actual taste would come in and trash their design.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

For Essen I preordered A Feast for Odin.

Games that interest me: Cottage Garden, The Colonists, Kampf um den Olymp (new 2-player game by Lookout Games), Adrenaline, Inis

That's pretty much it for this year.

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...
Preordered: Guilds of London, Overseers (fairly obscure but brilliant art)
Must have: 7W: Duel expansion, Codenames Pictures
Thinking about: Inis, Cottage Garden, A feast for Odin

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

theroachman posted:

Preordered: Guilds of London, Overseers (fairly obscure but brilliant art)

Overseers was there last year, wasn't it? I recall the art.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Jedit posted:

Maybe? They just ran a Kickstarter this year for it (only a few months back, or less? I backed, but among a dozen other things recently I don't remember the specifics). I assumed it was all-new from that, but could have just been to bring a larger print run to a wider audience.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Bit late to the party, but I'd go in to bat for Rum and Bones being a perfectly decent MOBA board game interpretation. It's very Ameritrashy, can be a little overlong with the 1st edition rules, but it scratches the itch and does what its supposed to.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Is there some sort of 'dungeon crawler'-like game where each player controls a squad of vulnerable troops instead of single hard to kill heroes? Basically, a modern (and good) version of Space Crusade.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Level 7 omega protocol

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

The End posted:

Level 7 omega protocol

Seconded. I've played it from 2 thru 4 players and been Overseer or whatever and squaddies equalish times and it's never let me down.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
How do I pop out cardboard components without tearing the paper? Just unboxing Skull and I took a bit of paper off one of the pieces. Fortunately, it's on the skull side, so it doesn't interfere with the game. Still :(

I know, the answer is probably "don't force it you goddamn ape man"

The Narrator fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Sep 21, 2016

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Push from the fully cut side gently. If it isn't popping out easily use a small scalpel to score the bad cut. Some manufacturers are better than others, I find all the original printed Vlaada stuff was always poorly cut.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Now see I've always had great luck just giving a good hard flick from the uncut side

Except with roll for the galaxy. Those bits aren't cut right or something.

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...

Jedit posted:

Could be, but then it went by me unnoticed. I saw it in the Essen '16 preview geeklist, read the rules (translated badly from Japanese or something) and immediately preordered it anyway.

Edit: btw, forgot something on my Essen '16 list: Seriously considering getting the Haru Ichiban reprint. Made by Bruno Cathala (7W:D, Cyclades, 5 Tribes, ...), 2 player only, looks like a charming little abstract timekiller.

theroachman fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Sep 21, 2016

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

theroachman posted:

Could be, but then it went by me unnoticed. I saw it in the Essen '16 preview geeklist, read the rules (translated badly from Japanese or something) and immediately preordered it anyway.

Edit: btw, forgot something on my Essen '16 list: Seriously considering getting the Haru Ichiban reprint. Made by Bruno Cathala (7W:D, Cyclades, 5 Tribes, ...), 2 player only, looks like a charming little abstract timekiller.

My goodness, Haru Ichiban appears charming as hell. And another two player game by Bruno? Yes please.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
So, Ora & Labora. Played it for the first time with 4.

Don't play it for the first time with 4 especially if you have 1 or more with terrible AP. I didn't know the guy that well and had absolutely no idea his brain would just shut down due to the number of choices afforded to him by the game.

That being said, it's a solid "turn this into that" production chain euro with a decent spatial component in how you build your cloister/town thrown into the mix. Timing and efficiency of action choices is the name of the game here and will definitely require multiple plays to get a handle on. I think 3 players might be better, but I'll have to try it to be sure.

Just got my copy of VotK: Last Rights. These card powers are nuts. I can't wait to give it a try. Anyone else already play it? Any reviews/gotchas?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
For Essen I'm Obsessing over A Feast for Odin. All other games are secondary. That being said, I have Colonists, Great Western Trail, and Cottage Garden pre-ordered, with Tramways, Vinhos Deluxe, and Trick of the Rails on Kickstarter.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Is there a good podcast/review resource for board games? I've played a bunch but it has been over the course of years now and pretty well spread out. The only games I actually own now are Boss Monster, Viticulture, Roll for the Galaxy, and Seasons. I'd like to hear from people with way more detailed opinions than mine about what I should look at.

Huskalator
Mar 17, 2009

Proud fascist
anti-anti-fascist

Kashuno posted:

Is there a good podcast/review resource for board games? I've played a bunch but it has been over the course of years now and pretty well spread out. The only games I actually own now are Boss Monster, Viticulture, Roll for the Galaxy, and Seasons. I'd like to hear from people with way more detailed opinions than mine about what I should look at.

The Dice Tower

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
A common question no doubt but any suggestions for solitaire games, ignoring the obvious Mage Knight?

Picking up an order of Lost Legion and Codename: Pictures, and while I'm debating whether to top it up, wondering what else I could dip into that would allow either me to play or for a co-op game. Maybe LOTR: The Card Game, although not sure I want to get into something with quite so many and expensive expansions, but it is co-op so means I could always play with others.

I have The Hunters and maybe I need to give it another try but it was pretty dry the two previous times I've tried and failed to solo it.

I already have Hat Trick and Fugitive/Burgle Bros/Paperback Kickstarters to come in at some time in the next few months so I'm hardly out of games, but maybe something to fill the gap before Christmas.

I may be getting to the shocking point for me of selling games. Arctic Scavengers, while being one of the cheapest and 'bargainest' of all the games I own of only £10, it never sees play and when I do lay it just feels quite watered down. I could probably make my money back, although the latest release might scupper that. Suburbia is getting the eye over too, I like the game a lot but very rarely get the chance to play it. The Hunters too may go if I don't click with it on my next try to solo it. But as someone who never sold ont heir computer games even when they completed them this all feels very wrong!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Oldstench posted:

Just got my copy of VotK: Last Rights. These card powers are nuts. I can't wait to give it a try. Anyone else already play it? Any reviews/gotchas?

It's fantastic. Definitely my favorite of the trilogy now. As I mentioned earlier, don't throw a new player straight into it, since the card interactions are much more complex in some instances than the first two sets. Start them with the base game first.

Has anyone made a Tak set? I'm gonna piece one together today. I love abstract games like this, and it has a really cool Go meets Connect Four vibe going on with some real depth to both tactics and strategy. Any other abstract games that can be made easily DIY?

Here's where I got the inspiration

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Sep 21, 2016

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Fat Turkey posted:

A common question no doubt but any suggestions for solitaire games, ignoring the obvious Mage Knight?

Picking up an order of Lost Legion and Codename: Pictures, and while I'm debating whether to top it up, wondering what else I could dip into that would allow either me to play or for a co-op game. Maybe LOTR: The Card Game, although not sure I want to get into something with quite so many and expensive expansions, but it is co-op so means I could always play with others.

I have The Hunters and maybe I need to give it another try but it was pretty dry the two previous times I've tried and failed to solo it.

I already have Hat Trick and Fugitive/Burgle Bros/Paperback Kickstarters to come in at some time in the next few months so I'm hardly out of games, but maybe something to fill the gap before Christmas.

I may be getting to the shocking point for me of selling games. Arctic Scavengers, while being one of the cheapest and 'bargainest' of all the games I own of only £10, it never sees play and when I do lay it just feels quite watered down. I could probably make my money back, although the latest release might scupper that. Suburbia is getting the eye over too, I like the game a lot but very rarely get the chance to play it. The Hunters too may go if I don't click with it on my next try to solo it. But as someone who never sold ont heir computer games even when they completed them this all feels very wrong!

I play a lot of solitaire board games. Are you interested in any particular genre?

My current favorites are the COIN series. Churchill is also different and interesting. These are multiplayer games with bot flowcharts you can substitute for human players.
Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear is a tactical wargame with a full card-driven solitaire system.
The Field Commander series are solitaire-only campaign wargames.

For Euros, both Scythe and Viticulture Essential Edition include complete solitaire systems.

Beyond that, any co-op game can be played solo. LOTR:LCG is great, but as you said, you might want to avoid that rabbit hole of expansions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Kashuno posted:

Heavy Cardboard. Much better than the Dice Tower.