Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
during which ancient egyptian month will blackberry die?
thout
paopi
hathor
koiak
tobi
meshir
paremhat
paremoude
pashons
paoni
epip
mesori
gasthred
banop
RIM'S GONNA KEEP GOING BABY!!!
View Results

• Locked thread
Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Cocoa Crispies posted:

year of blackberry in the desk drawers of grey forum posters

lol i haven't ventured into the IYG blackberry thread in forever, is there anyone left still insane enough to be using a blackberry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Horse Clocks posted:

gently caress the haters.

Love my priv, despite its shortfalls.

Yes, it has poo poo battery life.
Yes, it's not very performant.
Yes, it randomly decides to turn into a hand warmer.
Yes, it's a big square block and awkward to put in any pocket.

But I loving love the keyboard, I can actually type with it and type what I want, not something I've ever been able to do with an onscreen keyboard.

Plus the slider is dope, so satisfying.

If my phone broke, I'd buy a £10 dumbphone from tesco to hold me over until BlackBerry released the next keyboard phone.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Plus the slider is dope, so satisfying.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

lol. real phones have third party keyboard cases. even an iphone 4 w/ one is a more compelling user experience

OldAlias fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Aug 1, 2016

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

"it's poo poo at every important feature a phone has to have, but it has a keyboard"

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

confirmed: is an android

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.blackberry.hub&hl=en

BB Hub is now free for everyone to use.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
the longest phone

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

lol

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

those are some shameful windows

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

wheres the cord

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Better have sent a promo unit to barnacle jim

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
no guys, he's the poke master, he caught them all, on his priv

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

wow, Jeff Gerstmann's lost a lot of weight :unsmith:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

The Management posted:

the longest phone

i think there's a lumia that's longer still

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Let's predict what current phone BBRY will rebrand two years from now and pass off as their own.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

bby final stage: the patent trolling begins

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Bonzo posted:

Let's predict what current phone BBRY will rebrand two years from now and pass off as their own.

theres a warehouse full of those amazon phones somewhere

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

theres a warehouse full of those amazon phones somewhere

Ahh yes. The new F1R3 from Blackberry

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

got my priv because i value security

http://arstechnica.co.uk/security/2016/08/qualcomm-chip-flaws-expose-900-million-android-devices/

http://blog.checkpoint.com/2016/08/07/quadrooter/

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i'm the blackphone

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

arse posted:

Crims could exploit Quadrooter vulns via
oh gently caress you

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Has Canada gone out of business yet

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

no, but we had a hell of a fire sale in alberta

also your choice of a free maritime province with the purchase of quebec

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Bonzo posted:

Ahh yes. The new F1R3 from Blackberry

:golfclap:

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

infernal machines posted:

no, but we had a hell of a fire sale in alberta

:prepop:

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/sep/12/hms-terror-wreck-found-arctic-nearly-170-years-northwest-passage-attempt

quote:

The Arctic Research Foundation was set up by Jim Balsillie, a Canadian tech tycoon and philanthropist, who co-founded Research in Motion, creator of the Blackberry.

now if he could only find where his customers went XD

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

the customers went to the 21st century, while bbry stayed behind and resorted to cannibalism

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

cannibalizing Alcatel in fact:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/09/20/blackberry-accidentally-publishes-details-dtek60-based-unannounced-upgraded-alcatel-idol-4s/

quote:

BlackBerry accidentally publishes details about DTEK60, could be based on unannounced, upgraded Alcatel Idol 4S

Earlier this year, BlackBerry released the DTEK50, a rebadged Alcatel Idol 4 with some extra BlackBerry security software on it. That phone didn't fare too well with critics. Now, the security-crazy company has mistakenly published the specs of the DTEK60, which looks to be a plus-sized, upgraded DTEK50. It's pretty clear that someone at BlackBerry screwed up here, as the URL of the DTEK60's specifications page includes "donotpublish.html".

Let's get the leaked specs out of the way:

SPECS

153.9 x 75..4 x 7mm
5.5" 1440p display
Snapdragon 820
4GB of RAM
32GB of storage w/ microSD slot
21MP rear-facing camera w/ 4K30 video
8MP front-facing camera w/ f/2.2 aperture
3000mAh battery w/ QC3.0
USB Type-C
Fingerprint sensor
Convenience Key
Since the DTEK50 is based upon the Idol 4, it's not unreasonable to think that the DTEK60 would be based upon the Idol 4's big brother, the Idol 4S. However, while some specifications are shared between the DTEK60 and Idol 4S, others are completely different. The DTEK60 packs in more flagship-like components than the Idol 4S; for instance, the DTEK60 has a Snapdragon 820 and 4GB of RAM, but the Idol 4S only has a Snapdragon 652 and 3GB of RAM.

After some further examination of the DTEK60 and Idol 4S's specifications, we realized that their heights and widths exactly matched at 153.9 x 75.4mm. This led us to believe BlackBerry utilized the same front glass and display assembly as the Idol 4S. In addition, there's a "Convenience Key" mentioned, which was a repurposed Alcatel "BOOM KEY" on the DTEK50. These specs made us think that BlackBerry is basing the DTEK60 upon an unreleased Alcatel phone.

Some Google-fu helped us discover a TENAA (China's FCC) listing for the TCL 950, a phone with dimensions and specs that almost exactly match the DTEK60's. (TCL is the company that owns Alcatel.) The only disparities between the TCL 950 and DTEK60's specifications are a 1080p display and 64GB of storage on the 950, versus a 1440p display and 32GB on the DTEK60. Interesting.

We're inclined to believe that the BlackBerry DTEK60 is based upon an unreleased Alcatel "Idol 4S Pro" of some kind. Apparently, we at Android Police aren't the only ones; CrackBerry noted the similarities in an article of theirs as well, but took a different path to get to their conclusion.

It'll be interesting to see how the DTEK60 fares; the specs are solid, and the phone looks nice enough. Let's just hope that BlackBerry doesn't slap a giant price tag on it.

good thing they stopped calling themselves RIM; they certainly don't do their own R & D anymore :laugh:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Rebadging In Melancholy

e: Rebadging Indicates Melancholy?
Regretting Idiotic Management?

qirex fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Sep 21, 2016

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Analingus

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
http://support.blackberry.com/kb/articleDetail?articleNumber=000038179

Overview
BlackBerry is announcing product obsolescence for BlackBerry Business Cloud Services as of the dates set out below.

End of Sale/End of Support

BlackBerry is committed to providing you the highest level of customer care while you determine your future strategy. Please see below for key timelines and support option.

Milestone Target Date
End of Sale May, 2016
End of Support August 26, 2016

RIP

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Mister Macys posted:

cannibalizing Alcatel in fact:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/09/20/blackberry-accidentally-publishes-details-dtek60-based-unannounced-upgraded-alcatel-idol-4s/

good thing they stopped calling themselves RIM; they certainly don't do their own R & D anymore :laugh:

quote:

BlackBerry Security that protects the private details of your life from being hacked

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

A Pinball Wizard posted:

http://support.blackberry.com/kb/articleDetail?articleNumber=000038179

Overview
BlackBerry is announcing product obsolescence for BlackBerry Business Cloud Services as of the dates set out below.

End of Sale/End of Support

BlackBerry is committed to providing you the highest level of customer care while you determine your future strategy. Please see below for key timelines and support option.

Milestone Target Date
End of Sale May, 2016
End of Support August 26, 2016

RIP

im the company that bought it april 30th and now has no support 4 months later

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

what am i saying of course no one bought it

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it was mdm middleware for office 365, which already has mdm

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

yeah it was a free thing in office 365 to let poo poo phones access email. neither ms nor blackberry were sure who was meant to support it.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
blackberry gunna stop making phones

https://www.cnet.com/news/blackberry-to-stop-building-its-own-smartphones/

does that count as dead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VScSEXRwUqQ

• Locked thread