Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

torgeaux posted:

I feel so much dumber now.

I mean it's Ross Douthat... What did you expect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/DanLamothe/status/778585123830763520

I like how the military splits pretty evenly between "guy whose entire platform is to not get us killed" and "guy who will let us mow down as many browns as we want"

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

WampaLord posted:

Jesus loving Christ, who are these 15% of people still making up their mind?

It's people that have already made up their mind but are embarrassed by it (irrespective of who they're actually voting for).

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 235 days!

WeAreTheRomans posted:

More than half of surveyed voters are open to chemtrails, telekinesis, and Roswell aliens.

Giant Meteor gets more appealing by the day

I was optimistically reading that as "I don't give a poo poo about this and haven't formed an opinion on it."

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

vyelkin posted:

Don't forget

Fewer than 40% of Americans think you can't tell the future from the Bible. Just 40% think we're definitely not living in the Biblical End Times. And nearly 60% of Americans are open to literalist interpretations of the Bible.

Actually, this country would be a lot better off if conservatives actually followed the teachings of the bible

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Goatman Sacks posted:

I like how the military splits pretty evenly between "guy whose entire platform is to not get us killed" and "guy who will let us mow down as many browns as we want"

I would trust nothing the Military Times says or does. It's a shitrag.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

vyelkin posted:

Don't forget

Fewer than 40% of Americans think you can't tell the future from the Bible. Just 40% think we're definitely not living in the Biblical End Times. And nearly 60% of Americans are open to literalist interpretations of the Bible.

To be fair a lot of the people responding on biblical literalism were probably just remembering that it has some real history stuff in it, and don't actually think the whole thing is literally true.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

blue squares posted:

Actually, this country would be a lot better off if conservatives actually followed the teachings of the bible

Including the parts about stoning people to death and the restrictions on menstruating women? You think the country would be improved by that?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Goatman Sacks posted:

Remember this next time you're at some sporting event featuring a gross display of militarism.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

fishmech posted:

To be fair a lot of the people responding on biblical literalism were probably just remembering that it has some real history stuff in it, and don't actually think the whole thing is literally true.

The question was not "Some things in the Bible are literally true", the question was "The Bible is the literal word of God and without error" which is pretty transparent.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

mcmagic posted:

Remember this next time you're at some sporting event featuring a gross display of militarism.

:lol:

Cthulhumatic
May 21, 2007
Not dreaming...just turned off.

vyelkin posted:

The question was not "Some things in the Bible are literally true", the question was "The Bible is the literal word of God and without error" which is pretty transparent.

I like that these people have no concept of the Great Redactor or that the Bible was solely controlled by the ruling class of the Church for ~1500 years. Oh, and the fact that early Greek versions of the Bible tend to say completely different things and have completely different meanings.

But no, the word of God is unsullied by the craven hands of men.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Cthulhumatic posted:

I like that these people have no concept of the Great Redactor or that the Bible was solely controlled by the ruling class of the Church for ~1500 years. Oh, and the fact that early Greek versions of the Bible tend to say completely different things and have completely different meanings.

But no, the word of God is unsullied by the craven hands of men.

Isn't the entire idea of the Bible that it ISN'T the direct word of God, but rather the interpretation by the various disciples? The book isn't Jesus Christ's live blog. :psyduck:

Finagle
Feb 18, 2007

Looks like we have a neighsayer

silvergoose posted:

There's a read-along thread and yes, you stopped at the right time.

Well, the right time is probably before opening the book but whatever.

You really did. I made it up to... There was a book that climaxed around the protagonist making a statue so inspiring it caused a revolution. In between which was yet more the sadist beating stuff which he was "too pure" to be broken by.

Really just an awful awful series.

Cthulhumatic
May 21, 2007
Not dreaming...just turned off.

CascadeBeta posted:

Isn't the entire idea of the Bible that it ISN'T the direct word of God, but rather the interpretation by the various disciples? The book isn't Jesus Christ's live blog. :psyduck:

I DUB THEE HERETIC

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Guy Goodbody posted:

Including the parts about stoning people to death and the restrictions on menstruating women? You think the country would be improved by that?

new testament brah

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Thoughts on Bible chat:

Hail Satan!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Goatman Sacks posted:

On the upside, in any normal election the level of support for the Republican candidate among this group would be 45% or more.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

CascadeBeta posted:

Tell that to evangelicals.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:drat:

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 235 days!

CascadeBeta posted:

Yeah, there's parts where the disciples disagree and so forth.

We have weird ideas about religion rooted in our attempts to govern colonized people according to a concrete "tradition," leading to things like not noticing that the entire Bhagavad Gita is a two sided argument in a genre of philosophy which presents multiple schools of thought as dialouges.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

CascadeBeta posted:

Sometimes I think these guys would be happier with Islam, where the whole holy book is supposedly directly dictated by God, no pussying around with "John says this but Luke says that."

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
:lol:

He's still at it. I'm sure you'll nail him someday, Joe!

quote:

Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio on Tuesday vowed to the Surprise Tea Party Patriots, the group that five years ago petitioned him to investigate President Barack Obama’s birth certificate, that he was continuing the inquiry.

“I’m not going to give up, and we’re looking into it,” he said. “I don’t know how it’s going to turn out.”

For Arpaio, last week’s statement by Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump that Obama was born in this country had no weight on his volunteer posse's work.

“I don’t care where he’s from,” Arpaio told the crowd of about 200. “We are looking at a forged document. Period.”

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
meanwhile:

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

mcmagic posted:

Mowing down the Browns is pretty common in the NFL too, so that partnership makes sense.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

CascadeBeta posted:

Very few people actually read enough of the Bible where they get this is true. You also see this with Islam, for example:

BarbarianElephant posted:

Sometimes I think these guys would be happier with Islam, where the whole holy book is supposedly directly dictated by God, no pussying around with "John says this but Luke says that."

There is a section of the Quran which is literally "God gave me this and it's the inerrant word" but there's a very significant section that's just "early scholars try to interpret said inerrant word to apply to society".

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

blackmongoose posted:

Mowing down the Browns is pretty common in the NFL too, so that partnership makes sense.

nice

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I love D&D and TFF crossover posts.

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

blackmongoose posted:

:golfclap:

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

WampaLord posted:

Undecided Voter Pretty Sure He’s Some Kind Of Idiot

quote:

“Before now, I felt I was just being thoughtful, carefully weighing each candidate’s statements and making sure I was informed on the important issues, but that couldn’t be further from the truth,” said Mueller, adding that he once even thought that being undecided lent him a sort of mystique, a notion he now considers “almost as loving dumb as I am.” “In reality, I’m actually just a spectacular dolt who doesn’t have the remotest understanding of how this country’s political system works, or really what the hell I’m doing in general.”

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Can't wait to vote against this moron.

William F Cuxley said he's what happens when you crossbreed a rat and a $20 bill.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Finagle posted:

You really did. I made it up to... There was a book that climaxed around the protagonist making a statue so inspiring it caused a revolution. In between which was yet more the sadist beating stuff which he was "too pure" to be broken by.

Really just an awful awful series.

There's a book in the series that doesn't even have the main character in it for most of it.

Instead if focuses around some stupid city and some government worker who finds out his wife is cheating on him so he ends up cheating on her or something like that. Except they both have Super Fantasy AIDS or something and eventually the entire town gets infected and dies and then it cuts to the series' main character and he's like "welp, that serves those filthy sexhavers right" or something.

It's really really loving awful and I wish I hadn't been such a voracious fantasy reader that I got a good 4-5 books into the series before I couldn't take it anymore.

It did, however, make a kinda fun TV show (in the same sense that Hercules: The Legendary Journeys was a fun show) that starred the Gyro Captain from Mad Max as the wizard.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

vyelkin posted:

Economist/YouGov from Sep. 18-19:4.

If the 2016 presidential election were being held today and the candidates were Hillary
Clinton, the Democrat, Donald Trump, the Republican, Gary Johson, the Libertarian, and Jill
Stein, from the Green Party, for whom would you vote?
Registered voters only
Hillary Clinton . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .40%
Donald Trump . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 38%
Gary Johnson . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .7%
Jill Stein . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2%
Someone else . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2%
Not sure yet . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 9%
Probably won’t vote . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2%

114. If an election for president was going to be held now, would you vote for...
Asked of registered voters
The Democratic Party candidate . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 49%
The Republican Party candidate . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 36%
Other . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 6%
Not sure . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 5%
I would not vote . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 4%

Hahaha... :suicide:

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Trump getting blasted by a reporter on NPR for bullshit donations and self dealing. I think WaPo reporter? Very detailed.

David Farenthold(sp)? Not aggressive enough for most of us but good listen since I haven't read the recent articles about the same topic.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/CNN_Oppmann/status/778564993599975424
Thanks, Obama :unsmith:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

I don't see the issue since most of that Stein & Johnson support is going out the window.

I legitimately think that by 2020 we'll be all but official in opening back up to Cuba. It's an issue that gives Hispanic Cred™ to the GOP without really affecting anything in the US and the historically most vocal opposition are so old that they just want to see Havana one last time before they die.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

skylined! posted:

Trump getting blasted by a reporter on NPR for bullshit donations and self dealing. I think WaPo reporter? Very detailed.

David Farenthold(sp)? Not aggressive enough for most of us but good listen since I haven't read the recent articles about the same topic.

Yeah, Farenthold has been all over it for weeks now. Dude has been relentless.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Geostomp posted:

I always wondered just what it is that these people think will instantly give poor or minorities success if they just stop helping them entirely? Do they just not comprehend that the rules are different for non-white/rich people or do they really think that high paying opportunities will magically spring from the ether if we were just not so lazy?

I know that the real answer is that they don't think about it in any depth and want to feel superior, but just once I'd like to seem them explain their "logic".

They think that anyone can have at least as much success and opportunity as they've had, which they believe has been entirely due to their skills and hard work, and thus there's no excuse for anyone to be poorer than them. That goes from the rich ones at the top all the way down to the poorest whites. They think the rules are stacked against white people, and that minorities are given advantages that ought to allow them to vastly outearn and outperform similarly motivated whites. Remember, white people now think that racism against whites is more prevalent in this country than racism against blacks.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I mean -- think the larger problem is the culture of policing (see my post earlier from Nolan) and that Police Unions become a reinforcer of those cultural attitudes. I am loathe to ever say that any labor group's union is inherently a bad thing or that we shouldn't allow people engaged in a considerably difficult job to collectively bargain for their rights.

It's a) the culture of policing and b) the training and oversight. Police departments are way more to blame than police unions. For example, that cop who was recently fired for violating policy by talking down an armed person who was clearly trying to commit suicide by cop, rather than just unloading a clip into him.

Night10194 posted:

I wonder what's got Priebus starting to hammer the 'Honor your loyalty pledges!!' drum again?

Is he worried Kaisch might hamstring Trump in Ohio after all?

If they break the loyalty pledge once and get away with it, they've set a precedent that allows any Republican to break the loyalty pledge any time they want, and then the divide between the moderates and the fringe becomes an all-consuming maw that tears the entire party to shreds. He's worried that the GOP will go full-on circular firing squad when Trump loses and takes a bunch of Congressmen with him.

WampaLord posted:

Some people just don't follow politics or even read the news at all. And there's a decent chunk this year who still aren't sure whether to vote third-party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/SopanDeb/status/778599777017692160%5C

It's happening dot gif?

• Locked thread